• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schrade

Kagari said:
Since it didn't get answered I don't think, what was that 'surprise' Ryan hinted at for when the game released? Did I miss it?
Unfortunately, the posts flow so quickly in this thread that the question keeps getting lost.

Someone really needs to answer this! Ryan? Where are you?

I was looking at the picture thread and saw some that contained a invisible Snake. I already beat the game so what else do I need to do to obtain that suit.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Schrade said:
Unfortunately, the posts flow so quickly in this thread that the question keeps getting lost.

Someone really needs to answer this! Ryan? Where are you?

Damnit! Someone must know!

noonche

SnakeXs said:
Liquid: Easy. Shouldn't hurt you too much. If anything, spam the hard punch combo. If you're close he'll block, and one of your next 2 hits will break through his guard and hit him.

If you say so... I can't get through him reliably with more than 1/2 my life. He spams his shoulder charge or strong punch and if I'm not already dodging I'll get hit. His recovery time is really fast too, so I'm not sure when it's safe to attack him.

SnakeXs said:
Liquid Ocelot: All he has is his big punch. Watch for that and you should be ok. Dash in and out to coax it from him, and get in fill combos/CQCs when you can.

God I hate that dash. I'm a bit better at this part then Liquid, but I usually don't get here with much life.

SnakeXs said:
Ocelot's trickiest. Evade, duck his attacks, and get in full combos or 1-2 punches into the head butt (triangle) special CQC attack.

Only gotten here once on hard. Had no life left. Wasn't pretty.

SnakeXs said:
That said, I fear when I get to him on Extreme.

I want to play this game on extreme, but I don't think I ever will because of this fight. It makes me so mad when developers introduce radically new gameplay for the final boss. See: God of War, TimeShift, Metroid Prime. I literally had no trouble with the rest of the game. I just don't fucking get it.

Thanks for the advice though. I appreciate it.

Sallokin

Couple of questions.

How frequently do they plan on updating the extras section with Cammos, tunes and podcasts?

What type of knife does snake use in the game? I had heard that most of the weapons were modeled after real life versions so I'm curious to see that what that thing looks like. The textures on it are insane looking. (obviously I know it won't have the stun function).

noonche

Crayon said:
I did it on Bigg Boss Hard. I thought it was a great idea and after the first HOUR of trying I was getting the hang of it. Another hour after that, I was a master at it and won a well-deserved victory.

What don't you like about it?

I'm on big-boss hard now.
I don't like how it's completely new gameplay style from the rest of the game, yet still insanely difficult. I don't like all the quick-cuts where they take control away from you. I don't like how snake won't consistently do his strong punch combo. I don't like how you can't seem to actually choke ocelot out, the O2 gauge is just lying to you. I don't like how the camera fucking changes for each segment of the fight; I understand the thematic reasons for it, but it makes the later portions disorienting.

I think it's a FANTASTIC idea, with one of the worst executions I've seen. Please stick to making an action game next time.

Crayon

alske said:
I want to play this game on extreme, but I don't think I ever will because of this fight. It makes me so mad when developers introduce radically new gameplay for the final boss. See: God of War, TimeShift, Metroid Prime. I literally had no trouble with the rest of the game. I just don't fucking get it.

Thanks for the advice though. I appreciate it.

Do you play alot of fighting games? I am pretty serious into fighting games and I think that helped me figure it out and especially enjoy playing that part.

jet1911

alske said:
I don't like how it's completely new gameplay style from the rest of the game, yet still insanely difficult. I don't like all the quick-cuts where they take control away from you. I don't like how snake won't consistently do his strong punch combo. I don't like how you can't seem to actually choke ocelot out, the O2 gauge is just lying to you. I don't like how the camera fucking changes for each segment of the fight; I understand the thematic reasons for it, but it makes the later portions disorienting.

I think it's a FANTASTIC idea, with one of the worst executions I've seen. Please stick to making an action game next time.

Jeez, it's not that hard... :/

No_Style

MercuryLS said:
This game just went from great to fucking amazing in Act 3. I can't believe how well Kojima incorporated MGS3 into the overall MGS story. It's as if he planned all this shit out a long time back. Amazing. Everything is getting tied together so nicely. I can't wait to see where the story goes from here.

:bow Kojima :bow

Ah yes. I just finished one of the BB's there as well. I loved the
Prague-like? setting

Kagari said:
Really? Even though he said it wouldn't be something anyone who got the game early would have had?

I was just joking (but his dad did have an awesome mustache).

I am curious about what it will be. Maybe on the next Metal Gear Integral radio or something to download.

AmMortal said:
It wasn't that, it was probably something online. Maybe something on PSN?

MGS4 has its own download thing going on. They can put it up there.

There is a password screen also, so maybe it has something to do with passwords. The guide says that some of the guns will be unlocked by entering passwords in the future.

Sallokin

AmMortal said:
It wasn't that, it was probably something online. Maybe something on PSN?

Aren't there supposed to be some special codes released to unlock special weapons in the game? I'm assuming it's something along the lines of that.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
the
big boss
motorcyle chase scene is just...................:D

kojima productions should just make a movie next, they're so great at well-organized spectacle.

Elbrain said:
I can see where some of these battles are kinda hard with the bosses but it's all explained if you talk to Otacon he gives help if you pester him enough. BTW the only tough one was
Raging Raven, her freaking health bar moved way too slow? Anyone know what type of weapon is best for maximum damage?

I used the M60 machine gun, it didn't feel like the health bar moved too slow. Then when she overheated and posted up on the other roof, I just pulled out a sniper and shot her

Costanza

Banned
mattiewheels said:
the
big boss
motorcyle chase scene is just...................:D

kojima productions should just make a movie next, they're so great at well-organized spectacle.
I wish Kojima would actually direct the live action adaption himself.

Crayon

alske said:

I see.

It seems to me that maybe you are mostly just getting frustrated by losing alot. I found the systems and rules and controls to be smart and responsive for the whole time I played this segment! For example :
I had no trouble pulling off the hard punch/combo after a little experimentation. I could easliy do cqc moves with success too.
Really I think the difference is in attitude! This part of the game is actually very well implemented, I think! Just as good as the final part of act four! And that was amazing!

Nemesis_

I just did a REALLY quick mode where I skipped all cutscenes and completed boss battles as fast as possible on Big Boss Hard mode. Clocked in at around 8 hours. :lol I'm not complaining, I love the cinematics.

But the biggest annoyance was I was told to unlock
Gun Del Sol
you had to
tranq all the beauties and the FROGs at the start of Act 1
. What I wasn't told was you had to go searching for some stupid fucking statues to get the bonus.

I don't mind, since I wanna play through it again with
Young Snake w/ Bandana
and paying attention to the story.

Oh, yeah, are the passwords in the "Extras" menu any relevance?

Costanza said:
I wish Kojima would actually direct the live action adaption himself.

He talks about why he doesn't want to do that in the LE blu-ray. Something about how with games, things can't ever be perfect, but with movies they can, so he fears that he can't do something too perfect with a movie or something like that.

Costanza

Banned
Linkzg said:
He talks about why he doesn't want to do that in the LE blu-ray. Something about how with games, things can't ever be perfect, but with movies they can, so he fears that he can't do something too perfect with a movie or something like that.
I really need to get around to watching that disc. Maybe during the week.

Hmm..there is probably a simple answer here, but where exactly is whatever item that allows you to equip 10 weapons rather than 5? I seemed to have missed it on my first playthrough somehow.

-Rogue5-

How do you beat Screaming Mantis non-lethally? I use
the sorrow doll (the non-lethal one)
but she keeps saying it's useless and none of her psyche has gone down... Anyone?

Crayon

Nemesis556 said:
I just did a REALLY quick mode where I skipped all cutscenes and completed boss battles as fast as possible on Big Boss Hard mode. Clocked in at around 8 hours. :lol I'm not complaining, I love the cinematics.

But the biggest annoyance was I was told to unlock
Gun Del Sol
you had to
tranq all the beauties and the FROGs at the start of Act 1
. What I wasn't told was you had to go searching for some stupid fucking statues to get the bonus.

I don't mind, since I wanna play through it again with
Young Snake w/ Bandana
and paying attention to the story.

Oh, yeah, are the passwords in the "Extras" menu any relevance?

^^^ See this is how the game is meant to be played. Any way you want. It's so open ended!

When they give you the
young snake and raiden heads
it is an invitiation to just make the game into whatever you want it to be.

Crazymoogle said:
Hmm..there is probably a simple answer here, but where exactly is whatever item that allows you to equip 10 weapons rather than 5? I seemed to have missed it on my first playthrough somehow.

Wait, what? I had no idea there was one. That would be so helpful, though stressful on poor Snake to be lugging around all that gear.

Costanza said:
I really need to get around to watching that disc. Maybe during the week.

It is really worth it. The first part is all Japanese with subs, but it is really interesting to see the behind the scenes talk. One part is great because Kojima has an arguement with the programmers about wanting to change something, but that change would cause a lot of bugs. Also, Kojima getting really anal about Sunny's Japanese voice and re-recording it only a few months before release.

Just set aside 2+ hours and watch it all in one shot.

tanod

when is my burrito
@Kagari: I'm pretty sure the surprise Ryan was referring to was the MGS4 theme that came out on PSN this week.

revolverjgw said:
Wait, what? I had no idea there was one. That would be so helpful, though stressful on poor Snake to be lugging around all that gear.

I think there must be; there's one for items and I seem to vaguely recall somebody at work mentioning they found it. hrm.

And since you accumulate stress faster with heavier gear allotment, I don't see why they wouldn't unlock that bit...

Remy

-Rogue5- said:
How do you beat Screaming Mantis non-lethally? I use
the sorrow doll (the non-lethal one)
but she keeps saying it's useless and none of her psyche has gone down... Anyone?

The Sorrow Doll only works on the dead, as per the info screen. The Mantis Doll drains her psyche as well, so it counts as a non-lethal kill. Somehow.

noonche

Crayon said:
I see.

It seems to me that maybe you are mostly just getting frustrated by losing alot. I found the systems and rules and controls to be smart and responsive for the whole time I played this segment! For example :
I had no trouble pulling off the hard punch/combo after a little experimentation. I could easliy do cqc moves with success too.
Really I think the difference is in attitude! This part of the game is actually very well implemented, I think! Just as good as the final part of act four! And that was amazing!

You mean as well implemented as the part where you
hold up and hit x to dash repeatedly since it's more effective than all of your weapons? The Ray fight was cool. Partially because it wasn't super difficult since you where still getting used to the controls.

Also, no I don't play 3D fighters at all. Which I'm sure is part of the problem, and I'm sure that people who are used to 3D fighters probably throught it was awesome. I was (just beat it) frustrated because I was losing and getting zero feedback on what I was doing wrong. I was frustrated because I couldn't use any of the skills I'd been learning and practicing for the rest of the game.

The worst part is that since it felt like such a slap-dash, bullshit implementation, I now feel nothing having beaten the fight. I dont' feel like I won a great battle, or took part in an impressive climax. I feel like I've been taken advantage of by an over-ambitious developer.

God. The rest of the game (apart from the marketplace) was soooo good.

Zeke

ACT 5 SPOILERS!!!
ok wtf I'm going mad here
I just got aboard outer haven and I'm getting my ass royally handed to me.
I've tried sneaking and sniping but always get caught
those damn frogs are every where
I've tried going in guns blazing only to get blown to hell and back.
I must have killed a good 60 or 70 frogs to no avail. How am I supposed to make it to that door and not get killed while opening it. I've was able to take out a gekko with the rail gun but got jumped from behind from more frogs and got wasted
Can someone please give me some advice on this part.

Just finished the game, this is my favorite MGS out of the 4. This game is now a classic to me because I feel quite a few different emotions that I will hardly find in any other game. Okay here is my question:

Please explain to me where was the Big Boss the whole time and how and where did he find Zero?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Zeke said:
ACT 5 SPOILERS!!!
I must have killed a good 60 or 70 frogs to no avail. How am I supposed to make to that door and not get killed while opening it. I've was able to take out a gekko with the rail gun but got jumped from behind from more frogs and got wasted
Stamina kill the FROGs near the door you're supposed to go through. They won't spawn that way. Also kill the two (?) Gekkos right away.

tanod

when is my burrito
Zeke said:
ACT 5 SPOILERS!!!
I must have killed a good 60 or 70 frogs to no avail. How am I supposed to make it to that door and not get killed while opening it. I've was able to take out a gekko with the rail gun but got jumped from behind from more frogs and got wasted

I played on normal difficulty. You can do what I did.

Crawl. Use the tranq pistol. Don't fuck with the geckos. Keep your night vision of your solid eye off.

It seems that a lot of people had trouble with this part. I found it pretty darn easy.

Owensboro

Quick question for everyone with the LE guide (or a guide in general). Does the guide tell EVERYTHING about the game? I've been trying to read through this thread to find all the stuff I can do on my second playthrough, and my head is spinning because I keep getting lost.

For instance I'm playing (just finished) on hard first time through and
I've been tranq-ing both forms of all the BB Corps, and didn't even know you had to find the stupid statues AFTER for it to actually count. I'm so pissed because the damn Raven fight took FOREVER to tranq to death. Do you get credit doing it on easy? Because I really don't want to have to go back on Hard Mode again.
Do the guides go over crap like that, as well as how to get all the rankings and special equipment when you beat the game? Because if so, I'm gonna have to put in an order for that LE guide from Amazon or some place. Of course, I hear the LE guide is worth it anyway.

Zeke

Seiken said:
Stamina kill the FROGs near the door you're supposed to go through. They won't spawn that way. Also kill the two (?) Gekkos right away.
its getting there thats killing me. I thought there would be a way to
sneak around on those catwalks but they don't lead anywhere
Sounds like I just have to be extra careful then. Also can someone that beat the game list all the
octomaks
you ended up getting I want to see if I'm pace to get them all or if I got one someone might have missed

Here is how I beat this part:

Use the grenade launcher you got from Raven, run as fast as you can to the north. If you see any frogger, just blast them with the launcher. The launcher can kill a small cluster of them with one short. Run all the way to the door. Hide behind the boxs next to the door. Switch to your rail gun, full charge and shoot at the weak point of the gekko (the part that connect the torso and the legs which allows it to rotate its upperbody). One full charge rail gun shot will kill a gekko. Dispatch the second one quickly and quickly dispatch any froggers that are close to you. If they are kind of far (say 10m away), then ignore them. You can open the door within 3 seconds if you tap triangle quickly.

Zeke said:
ACT 5 SPOILERS!!!

Madsucktion said:
Quick question for everyone with the LE guide (or a guide in general). Does the guide tell EVERYTHING about the game? I've been trying to read through this thread to find all the stuff I can do on my second playthrough, and my head is spinning because I keep getting lost.

For instance I'm playing (just finished) on hard first time through and
I've been tranq-ing both forms of all the BB Corps, and didn't even know you had to find the stupid statues AFTER for it to actually count. I'm so pissed because the damn Raven fight took FOREVER to tranq to death. Do you get credit doing it on easy? Because I really don't want to have to go back on Hard Mode again.
Do the guides go over crap like that, as well as how to get all the rankings and special equipment when you beat the game? Because if so, I'm gonna have to put in an order for that LE guide from Amazon or some place. Of course, I hear the LE guide is worth it anyway.

I have the official guide and it is awesome. Tons of info and tricks I had no clue existed, more details than I can wrap my head around.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Zeke said:
ACT 5 SPOILERS!!!
This part owned me too. I basically went in gunning everything and then used railgun and killed as much and as quickly as possible and got lucky i wasn't getting hit when opening the door for like the 3rd time

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
revolverjgw said:
I have the official guide and it is awesome. Tons of info and tricks I had no clue existed, more details than I can wrap my head around.
Awesome, I'm buying that thing tomorrow then. :D

Slurmer

Banned
Finished the game today, loved almost every minute of it. I have no problems with the gameplay, but a I do have just a few gripes with the story...which I am sure have been brought up in this thread already.

What was with the constant misdirection with killing off characters? We are repeatedly led to believe that some of the big-name characters are going to bite the bullet. Meryl 3 times that I can think of, Raiden 3 times, and of course Snake at the end. The one that particularly upset me was Raiden at the end of Act 4. IMO, Kojima completely wasted what could've been an amazingly epic moment, a moment that would've gone down in MGS lore as one of the most emotional and heroic moments in the 20 year history of the series. Very disappointed with this.

In a series so marked with tragedy, I expected more than one "good guy" character to die in the final installment

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I don't understand why Konami didn't
license Paula Abdul's "Cold-Hearted Snake" for the ending credits

seems like a no-brainer marketing opportunity to me, oh well

Feep

Banned
Regarding the Metal Gear Solid Main Theme, can anyone direct me to a DL link (or at least the official title) of the version of this song that plays at the end of GameTrailers' review for MGS4? It was just so damned epic.

Pein

Banned
Its official MGS4 is my favorite game of all time

quick question is the limited edition guide only available at gamestop?

Zeke

alright thanks for the advice everyone I'll try tomorrow I'm taking a break I've been playing since 2pm and its almost 12am now. I kept telling myself just one more act just one more act :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom