• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Raist said:

It happens to me sometimes, do you hold L1 while approaching, or do you sneak right up to their ass and press L1?

By the way, has anyone had issues with the game freezing? It happened a few times during my first playthrough, but I wasn't sure if it was the fault of the PS3 or the game.

Steroyd

[HP] said:
Yeh, last time I order something from amazon to be played on day 1

Amazon are well known for being shit when it comes to delivering orders, it was even mentioned in an Insomiac podcast once. :lol

Although someone on there forgot who, got his GTA4 order on day 1 from Amazon... "i'm like WTF man Amazon don't do day 1"

Raist

Banned
Steroyd said:
Have you tried aiming at his back?

Tried pretty much everything. Aim his back/head/ass, go in FP view... no dice. Oh well.
Can't do the choke-on-the-ground CQC move either. Guess I'm too old for gaming now, can't do shit :(

Steroyd

The turning point was that bike chase with Big Momma,how amazing was that?
And then it kept the awesome coming throughout the next acts till the amazing finale.

haha yeah
that part was awesome, Hideo Kojima must've went "how much shit can we put on the screen at once?" so frikken insane.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Damn
I just realized you can do some of your normal CQC moves during the Snake vs Liquid Ocelot duel. Grab him with R1 and keep the button pressed strongly (instead of just pushing it as indicated) to lower his O2 level. Grab him with R1 while moving the stick to the side to push him down and, again, keep it pressed to lower his O2 bar. Dunno what happens when you completely deplete the O2 bar cos it regenerates very fast so you have to choke him like 3 or 4 times very quickly. Anyone knows what happens when you managed to do that?

Steroyd

Raist said:
Tried pretty much everything. Aim his back/head/ass, go in FP view... no dice. Oh well.
Can't do the choke-on-the-ground CQC move either. Guess I'm too old for gaming now, can't do shit :(

Try pressing L1 a couple of times then, works for me when my first attempt is in vain.

The choke on ground CQC, get them in a choke hold press X to crouch, then press R1 plus direction on analogue stick (as though you're going to knock someone on the ground) and walla your choking him on the ground.

What happens if a beauty grabs you? Too scared to let it happen to me. :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Raist said:
No, most of the time I'm like 5cm behind them :lol
Then I aim at them and nothing happens :/
You can't walk up to them with your gun raised. You have to raise your gun when you are actually behind them.

Truant

What are GAF's thoughts on the likelyhood of this appearing on other platforms?

I think the 360 would be more than capable of rendering the graphics. It's more of a storage medium issue. There's no way in hell all that dialogue, HD pre-rendered cutscenes, lossless audio will fit on a DVD9.

There is no way to speed up the first portion of act 3 right? You can only sit back and follow?

Also, Raven's robot buddies dont count as kills righ? Its important i know this now before i drive my self crazy later.

How easy is the chase scene to pass if i cant kill anyone?

Gibb

such an amazing game so far.. utterly brilliant!

quick question: I picked up some gun modifications (scope, etc), but they don't show up in my weapons list. How can I use them?

Steroyd said:

They sort of hypnotize snake and his life bar drains. the screamings get a litlle louder i think to. Mental torment i think. They will get on top of you if your on the ground to :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Gibb said:
such an amazing game so far.. utterly brilliant!

quick question: I picked up some gun modifications (scope, etc), but they don't show up in my weapons list. How can I use them?
Highlight a customizable weapon and press L2. Not all weapons can be customised, the game will tell you if it's customisable by prompting you to press L2 (next to the "press L1 to view" option).

Raist

Banned
Steroyd said:

Life quickly goes down and you have to move the left sitck left and right quickly.

happened to me with octopus because I basically was blocked by a wall. I didn't want to get rid of her hug at first. I was like "enjoy it Snake !" :p

Raist

Banned
Truant said:

I think the 360 would be more than capable of rendering the graphics. It's more of a storage medium issue. There's no way in hell all that dialogue, HD pre-rendered cutscenes, lossless audio will fit on a DVD9.

notthisshitagain.

And a vast majority of the cutscenes are rendered in real time.

Truant said:

probably very unlikely if the game sells well...honestly, I cant see sony allowing it...they would be incredibly stupid too actually, considering its really the big game apart from FFXIII and GT....

Steroyd

Gamer @ Heart said:
They sort of hypnotize snake and his life bar drains. the screamings get a litlle louder i think to. Mental torment i think. They will get on top of you if your on the ground to :p

1137293531_inami4ever.gif

I'm coming my beauties!!

Cartman86

Banned
Raist said:
notthisshitagain.

And a vast majority of the cutscenes are rendered in real time.

I was surprised to find one of the cutscenes to be a video file despite using all the in-game assets. I'm assuming it was because I couldn't zoom in. Probably some technical issue with an effect they wanted to use.

nelsonroyale said:
probably very unlikely if the game sells well...honestly, I cant see sony allowing it...they would be incredibly stupid too actually, considering its really the big game apart from FFXIII and GT....

There is money to be made and if reports are true, this is one of the most if not the most expensive game ever made. I dont think sony would care if it came out for 360 a year from now. Konami could definetly uses the sales.

AmMortal

Banned
Truant said:

Not.this.shit.again.
2hxt62t.jpg

Jtrizzy

Raist said:

I've struggled with these as well. I'm on my second playthrough at the end of act 4 right now. I'm really trying to get all of the mechanics down, as well as buy everything for sale in Drebin's store. I don't know if I have the patience to do what is necessary to get the stealth camo, but I really want it.

Is there a trick to getting it to let you pat the guy down after holding him up?

Gamer @ Heart said:
There is money to be made and if reports are true, this is one of the most if not the most expensive game ever made. I dont think sony would care if it came out for 360 a year from now. Konami could definetly uses the sales.

yeah, and ninja gaiden 2, infinite undiscovery, SO4 would benefit from being multiplat...doesnt mean its going to happen....I certainly can't see it here...this will probably be the highest selling game on ps3 and the highest profile...Its very likely that sony has a deal on this....never say never though. But its about as likely as the Mass effect series hitting ps3, or maybe less likely since that now owned by EA.

Jtrizzy said:
I've struggled with these as well. I'm on my second playthrough at the end of act 4 right now. I'm really trying to get all of the mechanics down, as well as buy everything for sale in Drebin's store. I don't know if I have the patience to do what is necessary to get the stealth camo, but I really want it.

Is there a trick to getting it to let you pat the guy down after holding him up?

After you suprise them and the drop their gun, simply walk infront of them, stop aiming your gun and a prompt well tell you to press triangle. time the presses to get items till you knock him out.

Also, save all your money and buy weapons on either a sunday or wed on act 5. Its the cheapest then.

nelsonroyale said:
yeah, and ninja gaiden 2, infinite undiscovery, SO4 would benefit from being multiplat...doesnt mean its going to happen....I certainly can't see it here...this will probably be the highest selling game on ps3 and the highest profile...Its very likely that sony has a deal on this....never say never though. But its about as likely as the Mass effect series hitting ps3, or maybe less likely since that now owned by EA.

SO4 is coming to the PS3, and sigma came to the PS3 so there is a very high chance a similar port will happen for NG2.

Rereleases happen man. Loyalty means shit this gen. Money talks.

AmMortal

Banned
I feel that a lot of hardcore Metal Gear Solid fans, bought there Playstation 3, thinking that Metal Gear Solid 4 would be on their system. It'd be a stab in the back, if they paid $500+ and found out, that 6 months/year later, the game is released on a cheaper console.

Also, have you seen the amount of product placement from Apple & Sony?

They'd have to edit that out, compress the hell out of the game, which would still make it multiple discs. Also, get rid of the 360 jokes.

Getting a team to do that and the porting would cost them more then benefit them.

You see:

XboX360 is hot, very hot in the US. But everywhere else, it doesn't hold as strong of a position as it does there :(

So, technically it would bring the userbase to about 10.08 million .

Smaller then the PS3 userbase.

AmMortal

Banned
As of June 14, 2008 MGS4 has sold 1.3 million copies world wide in its first day, selling over 350,000 units in Japan and 400,000 in North America.

Excluding pre-orders and bundles.

I'd say they hit their mark.

Looks like PS3 exclusive to me :D

I honestly, like Kojima think, that only on the Playstation 3 would it be possible to what they did. period.

What I don't get is how ports on the PS3 can be so crappy, and exclusives, simply change gaming. Like KillZone 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4 and Grand Tourismo 5. O_O

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TTP said:
Damn
I just realized you can do some of your normal CQC moves during the Snake vs Liquid Ocelot duel. Grab him with R1 and keep the button pressed strongly (instead of just pushing it as indicated) to lower his O2 level. Grab him with R1 while moving the stick to the side to push him down and, again, keep it pressed to lower his O2 bar. Dunno what happens when you completely deplete the O2 bar cos it regenerates very fast so you have to choke him like 3 or 4 times very quickly. Anyone knows what happens when you managed to do that?

anyone?

Yasser

U K Narayan said:
So, um -- I'm playing through Snake Eater again.

Uhhhh... I think I like it a bit -- more than MGS4?
you're not alone, a fair few people prefer 3 and still think it's the best in the series

Jtrizzy

I loved the plot and characters in Snake Eater, but as far as gameplay goes it's not even close. Snake Eater with MGS4 camera and controls would be awesome.

xenix

Man, the Octopus is surely a hottie... :lol

af906q.jpg

op8tmv.jpg

16jpi55.jpg

PS. If anyone consider the above picture as spoiler, please let me know. I'll delete them

Yasser said:
you're not alone, a fair few people prefer 3 and still think it's the best in the series
I don't know. After I finished 4, I was pretty convinced that it was the best. I guess I was on a post-MGS4 high.

3 just feels like a more complete package, to be honest.

Jtrizzy said:
I loved the plot and characters in Snake Eater, but as far as gameplay goes it's not even close. Snake Eater with MGS4 camera and controls would be awesome.
Well, the gameplay is 95% the same in Subsistance. The camera is pretty much exactly the same.

Guled

I'm trying to go through a no kill playthrough and got some questions

1. If I kill one of those unmanned enemies, it dosn't count as a kill right?
2. what about indirect kills?
3. Is there a way to check if I killed anyone without a mission briefing?

Cartman86

Banned
U K Narayan said:
So, um -- I'm playing through Snake Eater again.

Uhhhh... I think I like it a bit -- more than MGS4?

Yeah nothing to be ashamed of. At this very moment MGS4 is my favorite, but MGS3 could very well take that spot on any given day. Though I said MGS1 would be my favorite forever, and then I finished MGS3 and it was up there. Then over the years MGS3 became my favorite. After playing MGS1 again and just not being as enthralled with it as I was for so many years. I could MGS3 being like that after playing 4 though. The writing, dialog and everything being so much better could make me cringe while playing MGS3. But really without the previous games I would like MGS4 even less, and I wouldn't have cried fucking so many times!!!

Truant

My girlfriend loves MGS3, although she will not for the life of me try MGS4. I cannot understand why, it's the same basic investment.

Cartman86

Banned
Guled said:
I'm trying to go through a no kill playthrough and got some questions

1. If I kill one of those unmanned enemies, it dosn't count as a kill right?
2. what about indirect kills?
3. Is there a way to check if I killed anyone without a mission briefing?

1. Unmanned i've seen people say they do, but I completed it with no kills/no alerts a couple days ago and I remember killing gecko's and them not counting. I'm leaning toward 90% that they don't count as kills
2. indirect does not count
3. No sadly.

snack said:
Someone please answer this question about the plot. I am confused about a major plot point.

I am wondering what purpose does Big Boss' body serve as being a biomort at the center of the system? Also, how exactly is his genetics used in activation the system? I understand what role Big Boss played in the Patriots while he was conscious, but I don't understand what his purpose is when he is a biomort at the heart of the system. What does he do? What is his body for? How is his body used to activate the system?
Anyone?

Orlics

Hey guys, I have a Konami ID registered in Japan (I vaguely recall trying to get into a beta of some sort) and I want to register a Game ID, but I don't know what to click since the site turns all Japanese when I log in. Anyone encountered the same problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom