• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I must admit, as much as I am loving the game, I was extremely disappointed with Act 3. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the experience (I did), but the cutscene to gameplay ratio just went right out the window in a way I never expected. I expected extremely lengthy scenes near the end of the game, but right in the middle? That was a bit surprising. They were certainly entertaining, but I wanted more gameplay.

The gameplay offered in Act 3 simply wasn't as entertaining for the most part. The two major sequences near the end were awesome to play, but obviously not the type of gameplay we had experienced up to that point. The stuff you do when you first arrive in Act 3, however, wasn't as compelling as the first two acts. Good atmosphere and a neat change of pace, but they needed a bit more. Of course, a second playthrough might change my opinion as there were several areas in MGS2 and 3 that had me feeling the same way initially.

Based on the reactions of those that have finished it, I'm sure I'll be happy in the end. I mean, again, I recall having similar feelings about MGS3 during my first playthrough. The swamp, labs, caves, etc. all didn't really do anything for me initially, but playing through a second time allowed me to appreciate them for what they were and I really enjoyed it in the end.

The gameplay presented in Acts 1 and 2 was truly outstanding, however. Act 2 was SOOOO good. Easily the best gameplay the series has seen.

I'll be starting Act 4 soon (I stopped just before the mission briefing) and I'm still excited to see where it goes.

methos75

Banned
Originally Posted by Dyno:
On the other hand, Drebin gets worse; more cheezy and ridiculous every time he shows up. It's like they saddled him with all of the really overdone plot points and dialogue "

Black stereotypical goofball character in Japanese designed game, Check.

Slurmer

Banned
Dyno said:
On the other hand, Drebin gets worse; more cheezy and ridiculous every time he shows up. It's like they saddled him with all of the really overdone plot points and dialogue.

Thankfully he is amazingly voiced by Khary Payton. Best voicework in the game by far IMO.

Truant

He also gets drunk when he gets the chance. Subtle, Kojima.

Drebin's voice reminds me of one Heroes of the Web episode, the one about videogames not being cool. Shawn voice was exactly like Drebins. Especially when he talkds about the B&B backstories.

methos75

Banned
U K Narayan said:
How is he stereotypical?

Black man that shows up as some what comic relief, has a monkey, drinks when possible, sells illegal firearms, is a known law breaker with the games context, yep that is what are Derbin the Black man is in MGS4.

methos75 said:
Black man that shows up as some what comic relief, has a monkey, drinks when possible, sells illegal firearms, is a known law breaker with the games context, yep that is what are Derbin the Black man is in MGS4.
You say these things as if it's common for every black person to do this.

I disagree, I didn't find Drebin stereotypical at all.

burgerdog

Spot on Dark10x, I felt Act 3 could have used a bit more gameplay. I think it's the weakest act, but the next act completely makes up for it. Even if I was a little disappointed with act 3, this is by far the best game I have ever played.

birdman

methos75 said:

It's just what Hideo wanted to do with the character. If you notice, the other black characters throughout the series don't really follow any stereotype.

Doc Evils

methos75 said:

Jebus H, what a reach.

GameGamer

When I'm dragging someone I have to hold the Triangle button, and also use the left stick to drag where I want, and also use the right stick to see where I'm going?

This seems crazy. Am I doing it wrong?

jjasper

Raist said:
Well bit of an overkill IMO. It didn't need that much weapons.

Why not? They made the game with the purpose of it being incredibly replayable and this gives people the chance to play each time with different strategies and different guns.

123rl

methos75 said:
Yes, but he still is a bit stereotypical though isn't he? Its still kinda of sad they went there.
No. No, he isn't at all.

A black character who is less than perfect? OMG teh racists! It pisses me off when people go looking for racism at every opportunity. There are no racist comments, actions, or storylines in the game at all. He's no different to the merchant in Resident Evil 4, except he's a different skin colour. Neither game accentuates stereotypes or plays to racial prejudice (ie both games disregard skin colour)...so does that mean Resident Evil 4 was racist to white people?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
burgerdog said:
Spot on Dark10x, I felt Act 3 could have used a bit more gameplay. I think it's the weakest act, but the next act completely makes up for it. Even if I was a little disappointed with act 3, this is by far the best game I have ever played.
That's good to hear. Like I said, I didn't dislike Act 3, but it was pretty disappointing compared to the excellence before it. Can't wait to start Act 4!

It's just what Hideo wanted to do with the character. If you notice, the other black characters throughout the series don't really follow any stereotype
You got it. There have been plenty of other black characters in the series that had none of that silliness. It's just what he wanted to do with the character of Drebin.

supercake

I finished the game yesterday, 22 hours and around 600 kills. I had way too much fun gunning my way through the game.

Anyone bummed now that MGS is over? I don't see a game series with this kind of scope coming out anytime soon, MGS4 blew me away.

Steroyd

methos75 said:

Huh?

He was doing the world a favour by
Keeping the war economy intact.

I think you're reeeeaaaaally reaching for a stereotypical blackman in a Japaneese game... what is a stereotypical man in a Japaneese game anyway?

123rl

I don't care how it's done but I either want a sequel or a prequel or a remake of another game...but I demand a new game of some kind. It's too good to end now. Games series that end only end because they're shit, or because they lose their appeal - MGS4 is the best in the series so far, and one of the best games I've ever played. Games aren't supposed to end when they're at their peak

Returners

Doc Evils said:
How do you do avoid alerts in act 4? I want the stealth camo, but avoiding those robots things are hard in the hangar. :/

its hard to do, i ended up using Chaff, octocamo does nothing if they have their "laser beams" on you.

also, can't buy Chaff from Drebin... use it in a pinch.

methos75

Banned
Steroyd said:
Huh?

I think you're reeeeaaaaally reaching for a stereotypical blackman in a Japaneese game... what is a stereotypical man in a Japaneese game anyway?

Barret in FF7 is the worst, he is borderline offensive IMO.

angelfly

123rl said:
I don't care how it's done but I either want a sequel or a prequel or a remake of another game...but I demand a new game of some kind. It's too good to end now. Games series that end only end because they're shit, or because they lose their appeal - MGS4 is the best in the series so far, and one of the best games I've ever played. Games aren't supposed to end when they're at their peak

Keep milking something and eventually it will suck. Especially is if the person behind it wants to move on.

djkimothy

Finally! Finished it. 21 Hours on big boss hard. Obtained Eagle ranking.

I'm gonna try for a no kill run through my second time around but dumb down the difficulty to Normal.

End SPOILERS
I was satisfied with the end but man, I thought Solid would meet the ultimate end. I was expecting him dead. :/

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Ok so this will be my first Metal Gear game (never had a Playstation console until late in the PS2s lifecycle and never cared much for stealth games). I read up on the (awesome) story on Joy Stiq (http://www.joy***stiq.com/photos/mgs4-need-to-know/855739/) and I guess I'm all set to start MGS4 this weekend. However, the 1UP Crew destroyed my enthusiasm with their talk about the second half of the game. Will I be able to enjoy this game at all if I miss all of the references and nostalgia trips? I probably won't play MGS1 - 3 anytime soon (way too busy and no Essential Collection in Europe :()... Also; is that Joy Stiq summary good enough or am I missing any big things?

jjasper

supercake said:
Anyone bummed now that MGS is over? I don't see a game series with this kind of scope coming out anytime soon, MGS4 blew me away.

Is it really though? Sure there will not be another game when you play as Solid Snake but there are other things they could do with the series(note I am not done with the game so I don't know if they somehow make these impossible):
A) Play as Big Boss
rescuing EVA and the eventual show the beginning of the war with Zero/formation of Outer Haven
B) Raiden
rescuing Sunny and then working for EVA searching for Big Boss

Edit:
methos75 said:
They could easily do another MGS game, but instead of a new "game" make it a MGS4 caliber remake of the original Metal Gear.

PSN/XBLA Bionic Commando style remake.

djkimothy

Nino said:
Ok so this will be my first Metal Gear game (never had a Playstation console until late in the PS2s lifecycle and never cared much for stealth games). I read up on the (awesome) story on Joy Stiq (http://www.joy***stiq.com/photos/mgs4-need-to-know/855739/) and I guess I'm all set to start MGS4 this weekend. However, the 1UP Crew destroyed my enthusiasm with their talk about the second half of the game. Will I be able to enjoy this game at all if I miss all of the references and nostalgia trips? I probably won't play MGS1 - 3 anytime soon (way too busy and no Essential Collection in Europe :()... Also; is that Joy Stiq summary good enough or am I missing any big things?

You'll still enjoy the game play, but yah, the second half is a huge fan service to the fans who followed the series. It's still very playable and fun for MGS virgins.

123rl

angelfly said:
Keep milking something and eventually it will suck. Especially is if the person behind it wants to move on.

They aren't milking it though - four games in 10 years (I'm not counting the PSP games as they're spin-offs) and, aside from MGS2, I'd say they're getting better and better every time.

Slurmer

Banned
Doc Evils said:
How do you do avoid alerts in act 4? I want the stealth camo, but avoiding those robots things are hard in the hangar. :/

study them and watch their patterns. They are easy to avoid once you know where they're going to roll/look

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
djkimothy said:
You'll still enjoy the game play, but yah, the second half is a huge fan service to the fans who followed the series. It's still very playable and fun for MGS virgins.
I see, but from what I gather the second half is really cut scene heavy, which I don't mind at all and is partially why I'm excited to play this game in the first place. Will I still be able to enjoy the cutscenes? And is there any reading material you could point me to that would make me appreciate the fan service more? Thanks! :)

Phatcorns

So is it possible to download saves for this game? I definitely am not hardcore enough to get some of these unlockables apparently. I'm assuming some of the masks are really hard to get.

Solo

morlock said:
I wonder how much effort a remake of MGS1/2/3 would be for KP with this engine? I would buy them. :)

It would take just as much time and effort as it would to make an entirely new entry to the series, which is why it would be utterly pointless. MGS1/2/3 dont need remaking, anyways. They are fine as they are.

Dyno

Steroyd said:
Huh?

I don't think Drebin is stereotypical and actually I think it's important to dissect the character for what it is and what it adds to the story rather then dismiss is as a racial issue and never get to the bottom of why he succeeds or fails depending on your opinion.

To put it simply I think Drebin is an overcooked character; there are too many attempts at personality. Contrary to most of the understated and subtle characters in the story he's not a believable character in the slightest. When a character isn't believable you stop caring about them, you refuse to invest any empathy in them.

He's your arm dealer, but he also works for the weapons manufactures, his name isn't real, and there are supposedly hundreds of them. Why such a dense tossed salad for a back story? This character would be fine if only half the above was used.

He's got a monkey, he drinks soda, he does magic tricks with a hanky. Coin tricks in front of Snake's face? C'mon! That is just tedious and douchey. Again there are too many personality traits going on here. Personally I would have kept the monkey because him trying to get a smoke is funny and the sound bite you get when you buy weapons is irreverant and whimsical. The soda drinking is dumb, the magic needs to be toned way down. Hanky waving should be for extreme situations only.

Finally is monologues are awful! Whether he's talking about the over the top conspiracies or the beyond melodramatic origins of a boss, these wind-sessions simply reinforces the clownish nature of the character.

Less is more. This wise adage should have been applied to Drebin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom