• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

methos75

Banned
TheWolf said:
i still want to know why
Naomi was feeling up Vamp before the boss fight (it seemed like she was really evil during the part and on the other side)
and
why Johnny's body isn't breaking down from gene therapy since I'm pretty sure he was a genome solider.

I think Johhny might be another Big Boss clone, he looks vaguely Snakish too me.

Kastro

Banned
tha_con said:
Honestly, without MGS2 being exactly the way it is, MGS4 wouldn't be the work of art it is. Same goes for MGS3. Everything weaves together marvelously, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Agreed. For the most part I'm extremely happy with the way everything was woven together. A couple of the retcons I have issues with but I can't really see any other way this series could have come full circle.

I finished the game yesterday and recieved an eagle rating. I think the total package was brillant, and watching the bonus blu-ray afterwards I can see why. A must buy for any Ps3 owner and a great reason if none other to pick up a PS3 if you don't have one. Graphically it is amazing even though I think uncharted's environments look better. The cutscenes are done really well and look stunning. Great replay value, I will start my second playthrough tonight and try a more stealthy way of tackling it.

grandyu

don't know if anyone has answered this but what's the purpose of the faces of the beauties?? just to make snake look insanely creepy?

and also, i know each beauty is a 2 stage battle, if i kill the first part (beast part) with live ammo and then TRANQ them when they're in their beauty stage does that count as a kill ?

P.S. great ending to the series *salutes *tears

Someone please answer this question about the plot. I am confused about a major plot point.

I am wondering what purpose does Big Boss' body serve as being a biomort at the center of the system? Also, how exactly is his genetics used in activation the system? I understand what role Big Boss played in the Patriots while he was conscious, but I don't understand what his purpose is when he is a biomort at the heart of the system. What does he do? What is his body for? How is his body used to activate the system?

Can someone answer this question?

magus

Quick Question: How do I change my weapon ammo type?
I'm trying to use scream emotion bullets in my amnesia sniper rifle

SleazyC

magus said:
Quick Question: How do I change my weapon ammo type?
I'm trying to use scream emotion bullets in my amnesia sniper rifle
I think when you hold down L2 to select a weapon you go over to the weapon and hit circle and it should cycle through available ammo types.

VinZuku

Dyno said:
I don't think Drebin is stereotypical and actually I think it's important to dissect the character for what it is and what it adds to the story rather then dismiss is as a racial issue and never get to the bottom of why he succeeds or fails depending on your opinion.

To put it simply I think Drebin is an overcooked character; there are too many attempts at personality. Contrary to most of the understated and subtle characters in the story he's not a believable character in the slightest. When a character isn't believable you stop caring about them, you refuse to invest any empathy in them.

He's your arm dealer, but he also works for the weapons manufactures, his name isn't real, and there are supposedly hundreds of them. Why such a dense tossed salad for a back story? This character would be fine if only half the above was used.

He's got a monkey, he drinks soda, he does magic tricks with a hanky. Coin tricks in front of Snake's face? C'mon! That is just tedious and douchey. Again there are too many personality traits going on here. Personally I would have kept the monkey because him trying to get a smoke is funny and the sound bite you get when you buy weapons is irreverant and whimsical. The soda drinking is dumb, the magic needs to be toned way down. Hanky waving should be for extreme situations only.

Finally is monologues are awful! Whether he's talking about the over the top conspiracies or the beyond melodramatic origins of a boss, these wind-sessions simply reinforces the clownish nature of the character.

Less is more. This wise adage should have been applied to Drebin.

You realize this is Metal Gear you're playing, right?

grandyu said:
don't know if anyone has answered this but what's the purpose of the faces of the beauties?? just to make snake look insanely creepy?

and also, i know each beauty is a 2 stage battle, if i kill the first part (beast part) with live ammo and then TRANQ them when they're in their beauty stage does that count as a kill ?

P.S. great ending to the series *salutes *tears

No

Also here is a bit of advice for anyone doing a no kill run. In Act 2
when you're escaping on Drebin's APC the first area you go to has these enemies called "power armors" these do in fact count as kills unlike the regular and mini geckos. They will tell you that the APC can't move forward until you destroy the power armors, but this is a lie. Just knock the climbing soldiers off of the APC for a while and after some time passes you move to the next area without having to destroy the power armors. Also, watch that in the second area with the mix of geckos and soldiers that if a soldier climbs up the front of the APC you don't accidentally shoot him while firing at the geckos.

Quick impressions, 9 hours in:

I guess you could call me a fan of the MGS series, I never finished MGS3, but was a fan of the series' storyline. That said, Metal Gear Solid 4 has completely blown away my expectations. I didn't read any reviews. I expected it to improve upon the series, yeah, but I did not expect the gameplay to be completely revamped and FIXED to make the gameplay the shining point of the title (rather than the past titles, where, in my opinion, the story was the most compelling reason to play). Already, MGS4 is very high on my list of best games I've ever played, and is undoubtedly the best in the series. It's almost impossible to go back and play the older MGS games now because this one is so completely better in every way.

SleazyC

JakOfTheShadows said:
when you're escaping on Drebin's APC the first area you go to has these enemies called "power armors" these do in fact count as kills unlike the regular and mini geckos. They will tell you that the APC can't move forward until you destroy the power armors, but this is a lie. Just knock the climbing soldiers off of the APC for a while and after some time passes you move to the next area without having to destroy the power armors. Also, watch that in the second area with the mix of geckos and soldiers that if a soldier climbs up the front of the APC you don't accidentally shoot him while firing at the geckos.
You can also toss chaff grenades continually if you have them. They will lock up the weapons systems on the power suit soldiers and allow you to deal with everyone else.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Here's one thing that I will question:

While I really love the story method of Snakes tortureous walk through the microwave hall (while the outside world is going the hell). If the final bit was just getting the mini Metal Gear to the end...couldn't it just go by itself. But then again, guess Snake fighting off the dwarf gecko is the reason he went...

AndresON777

shooting blanks
act 4 spoiler:

did anyone else want to beat the shit outta otacon for being such a pussy? i mean i wanted to shoot naomi between the eyes after that shit she pulled and otacon is being a little bitch and snake and raiden are bout to get killed by the kamikaze gecko, damn i was so mad....but it's great cuz it shows how good and captivating the story is...if i were snake when i got back on the nomad ida slapped him in the face for being such a bitch...idk i just had to vent..lol, on to act 5 today after work, wish i hadnt lost so many rations vs vamp...DAMN!

Chiggs

Gold Member
Question about the end:

Given Liquid's speech on top of Outer Haven, why the hell did he even attack Snake with MGR in the first place?

ChrisGoldstein said:
wish i hadnt lost so many rations vs vamp...DAMN!

Same thing happened to me, and it made the first part of Act 5 very difficult.

Mr. Spinnington said:
well, that's obvious. just look back at what
big boss
says at the very end. clearly it answers everything:

b2f32a30.gif

Quoted For Truth!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
JakOfTheShadows said:
No

Damn man, your info is very much appreciated. Thank you kindly, sir.

hirokazu

I played from close to the end of Act 2 till half an hour into Act 4 just then.

OH MY FUCKING GOD. If this isn't my favourite game ever, it is definitely up there, and the most enjoyable game I've played in a long time...

I am so glad that I stayed clear of spoilers for this game and despite the insane hype and expectations I had, it still managed to blow me away.

Wow! I can't wait to finish it, but at the same time, I don't want it to end. :(

TheWolf

Banned
Chiggs said:
Question about the end:

Given Liquid's speech on top of Outer Haven, why the hell did he even attack Snake with MGR in the first place?

no. parts of the story don't make sense.

i also find it odd that
they were able to use parts of Liquid's body to reconstruct Big Boss after he had been buried as a cover for Snake and then exhumed again. wouldn't the body be fairly decomposed...?

traveler

Not Wario
So, decision time. Should I start my 2nd playthrough or try to wade through this MGO signup mess and join you guys online? Hmm.

Doc Evils said:
One of the best soundtracks for a game in a LONG time.

Oh and I just did a crotch grab.:D

Dude, it fits the game well, but we've had way too many good soundtracks in the past year for me to even consider this the best one in a "long time."

Also, this is kinda OT, but seeing as how I bought a PS3 for this game, I'm in need of some tips and pointers. I hadn't really tried to do anything with it yet simply because I was so busy with the game, but if someone could link one of those "I just got a PS3- HALP!" threads, I'd be appreciative. (I think we've had enough in the past while to justify me NOT making a new thread for this)

tha_con

Banned
I was a little depressed that
they didn't go deeper into Ocelot's story, and kind of wrap it up with Big Boss. I would have loved something a little similar to The Boss's send off at the end of MGS3

Jeff-DSA

I just finished Act 1. Due to the fact that my entire weekend was devoted to re-landscaping my yard, that's I'll I could manage.

+The sound is jaw-droppingly good...just...WOW!
+Graphics (duh)
+Buy/Sell system. So streamlined and accessible
+Action/stealth balance is mine to control

-Loading is very often
-The second install pissed me off (how many of these will there be?)
-A lot of stuff is there, but nothing to explain what they are (stress levels, weird shimmering ring around snake, etc.)
-
Enough with the diarrhea already!

-Loading is very often
Compared to the other games, i don't think so :O
To be honest, its a blessing in disguise for it has great tips hehe. Plus, i get to rape the kitchen during that stage :p
-A lot of stuff is there, but nothing to explain what they are (stress levels, weird shimmering ring around snake, etc.)
There is an in-game guide that explains them all. If you don't get it, let me know and i'll gladly explain in detail.
Jeff-DSA said:
-
LOL! Well, there is a reason for it :) You'll know SOON!!

tha_con

Banned
jjasper said:
Listening to the soundtrack at work, man it is so good.

Here's to You is facking emotional as hell.

Honestly, the first time I heared it was pre-release, and I thought it was played after
Snake dies
...but
Obviously he doesn't, and I was wrong
. I was ready to cry when I first heard it :lol

Prothero

Neo Member
Did the
microwave scene
remind anyone else of the Call of Duty 4 scene where
you crawl out of the helicopter in the middle of the nuked city
?

supercake

hirokazu said:
I played from close to the end of Act 2 till half an hour into Act 4 just then.

OH MY FUCKING GOD. If this isn't my favourite game ever, it is definitely up there, and the most enjoyable game I've played in a long time...

I am so glad that I stayed clear of spoilers for this game and despite the insane hype and expectations I had, it still managed to blow me away.

Wow! I can't wait to finish it, but at the same time, I don't want it to end. :(

I haven't been in such a slump over a game series ending in such a long time.

MGS4 is an amazing send off for the series, shit I don't see any game coming as close to how amazing MGS4 is. I really, really hope this game sells well. I've never been so impressed with production values in game before.

tha_con

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
I just finished Act 1. Due to the fact that my entire weekend was devoted to re-landscaping my yard, that's I'll I could manage.

+The sound is jaw-droppingly good...just...WOW!
+Graphics (duh)
+Buy/Sell system. So streamlined and accessible
+Action/stealth balance is mine to control

-Loading is very often
-

I could have sworn that was explained in a codec...

The ring is your 'threat ring' and will show spikes when enemy soldiers (or anyone shooting a gun) get's near to you. VERY useful. basically gives you a 360 degree radius "view" of what's going on around you, without the need to rotate the camera.

Also, think of your stress like your stamina. Stress goes up, stamina goes down, and your performance degrades. Really it can only be recovered by item use, resting, or taking a break from the game.

Ferrio

Banned
Okay question involving previous games based on MGS4

Okay so we know Ocelot was actually a "good" guy trying to take down the patriots AI system (which he helped create). What was his purpose in the 1&2 game?

tha_con

Banned
Prothero said:
Did the
microwave scene
remind anyone else of the Call of Duty 4 scene where
you crawl out of the helicopter in the middle of the nuked city
?

No, absolutely not. In CoD4 you're a no name grunt, and you have no emotional investment in that characters story.

In MGS4, you have invested time and interest into the character, Solid Snake, and there is a significant connection. The scene in MGS4 is considerably more powerful, and holds more weight.

I felt the CoD4 scene was just...there.

tha_con said:
I could have sworn that was explained in a codec...

The ring is your 'threat ring' and will show spikes when enemy soldiers (or anyone shooting a gun) get's near to you. VERY useful. basically gives you a 360 degree radius "view" of what's going on around you, without the need to rotate the camera.

Also, think of your stress like your stamina. Stress goes up, stamina goes down, and your performance degrades. Really it can only be recovered by item use, resting, or taking a break from the game.

Yep.

What stress level is, is revealed in act 2.

traveler

Not Wario
tha_con said:
No, absolutely not. In CoD4 you're a no name grunt, and you have no emotional investment in that characters story.

In MGS4, you have invested time and interest into the character, Solid Snake, and there is a significant connection. The scene in MGS4 is considerably more powerful, and holds more weight.

I felt the CoD4 scene was just...there.

Oh come on, man, the idea behind the two was very similar, even if the execution was on different levels. I don't know how anyone who had played both parts could NOT be reminded of that
CoD4 scene.

And since we're talking about that ss segment, I have to say I didn't really feel anything aside from a numb finger.
We'd seen all those characters survive the most ridiculous crap time and time again throughout the story that it had just lost all impact by that moment for me. I knew Raiden was going to survive- he'd lived through the most absurd battles, a base collapse, and survived being plowed into by a gigantic ship- how on earth was I supposed to feel any kind of suspense or worry for him? :lol Snake, too, had endured the most trying circumstances and we'd seen him, despite his sickness, survive all of them. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the sequence, but, man, I didn't get anything out of it.

I finished it earlier today. What an amazing game. Truly epic, There will probably never be another game like this one. I got the Eagle,Hawk,Frog,Hyena, Pig and Jaguar emblems. 3 Kills :(
So close to a nice bandana for Snake.

Ending spoiler:
I saw apicture of the Big Boss face camo, very disappointing, I was hoping it would BB as he appears in the ending. I hope they put that camo up in the extras sometime.

tha_con

Banned
traveler said:
Oh come on, man, the idea behind the two was very similar, even if the execution was on different levels. I don't know how anyone who had played both parts could NOT be reminded of that
CoD4 scene.

And since we're talking about that ss segment, I have to say I didn't really feel anything aside from a numb finger.
We'd seen all those characters survive the most ridiculous crap time and time again throughout the story that it had just lost all impact by that moment for me. I knew Raiden was going to survive- he'd lived through the most absurd battles, a base collapse, and survived being plowed into by a gigantic ship- how on earth was I supposed to feel any kind of suspense or worry for him? :lol Snake, too, had endured the most trying circumstances and we'd seen him, despite his sickness, survive all of them. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the sequence, but, man, I didn't get anything out of it.

Well, I wholeheartedly disagree.

In CoD, nothing that happens is voluntary, you're just a victim of circumstance. It was bland and not entertaining in the slightest, just an interactive scene.

In MGS4,
Snake
goes in voluntarily, even when the opportunity to duck out was prestented to him. It has far more impact than the crapfest in CoD4.

supercake

traveler said:

Yeah, I can understand the sense of disbelief, knowing the characters will survive.

But, it's not exactly a joy to see Snake getting cooked and crawling. :(

methos75

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
I didn't play MGS3 and I've no desire to play MGS4, what on earth is wrong with me? I loved Metal Gear Solid.

Semi same here, I loved MGS and beat MGS2, but could never get into MGS3 mostly because I hated MGS2, but I bought MGS4 based on its hype, and well fucking love it. you should at least rent it, its worth plying.

dralla

Ninja Kn1ght said:
I finished it earlier today. What an amazing game. Truly epic, There will probably never be another game like this one. I got the Eagle,Hawk,Frog,Hyena, Pig and Jaguar emblems. 3 Kills :(
So close to a nice bandana for Snake.

Ending spoiler:
I saw apicture of the Big Boss face camo, very disappointing, I was hoping it would BB as he appears in the ending. I hope they put that camo up in the extras sometime.

what does it look like?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
the music in that scene was spot on. very moving. that whole section.... cod4 had something similar but nowhere near the drama.

Ceb

traveler said:
CoD4 scene.

"Oh come on", huh? I didn't think about the scene from that other game while playing either. That one basically just felt like a short cutscene, no solid connection to the character even though you could move him around for a while. In MGS4, you feel the events that transpire in that scene.

But you're the guy who likes to take deepblue's side in these threads, right? Sucks that you didn't like it that much, but I'm not shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom