• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished it, took me exactly 20hrs. I really hope this is not the last MGS, the PS3's life span is just beginning, it would be a shame. Congrats to Konami and Kojima for this game. From beginning to end you can just tell that they put there heart and soul into this one. Congrats.

-Rogue5-

I beat it again last night on a no kill/no alert run... took 12hours skipping most cutscenes.

How do you get the
Roy Campbell
mask? Where is there an opportunity to run into him with the MkIII? During the intermissions he's just on the TV screen, so where/how do I bump him?

Barrett2

Bulla564 said:
Months and months of anticipation DID lessen the game for me in one way, and it is about the ending.

Anybody else
kind of disappointed that Snake did not die? Of course, I was kind of "WOW HOLY SHIT... erm ok" at the scene when he shot himself. I figured nobody and nothing can kill him except himself.

The twist in the end left me saying HOLY SHIT for half an hour (reading his name in the credits was an amazing baffling moment), but I guess I had pictured in my mind this great image of Kojima killing off Solid Snake, just like Coppola managed to show brilliantly, the death of Michael Corleone in the Godfather trilogy.

I make fan tributes, and I had one planned around that one event. On top of that, no editing of the MGS4 cutscenes can EVER do the game justice. They are all epic by themselves.

I agree with you.
I thought it cheapened the game by not killing off more characters. Especially with Raiden, I was rolling my eyes a little bit towards the end, it was comical how much damage he was taking. I mean, give me a break... unless they are planning a straight-up MGS5 with total continuity in characters, I don't understand why Kojima wouldn't kill off more of them. The last one hour of the game I felt like I was watching a Superman movie... it just felt bizarre that nobody was dying.

Also, I generally didn't like Drebin. He felt too much like the stereotypical 'friendly black man narrator' who shows up in movies to help a white protagonist. Even though they tried to explain his role in the ending, I thought Drebin was way too corny, and totally unnecessary to the story. I cringed every time he would show up during the game. I think with him they had the makings of a great character, but they just went overboard with him.

Bulla564

Banned
Big Nate said:
As brilliant as this game is, there's one thing that just cannot be underscored, bolded, and shouted from the rooftops of the world enough: THE SOUND. If you don't have a killer surround sound set-up, I feel really, really sorry for you if you are playing this game. It is THE definition of surround sound in gaming, and puts to shame 90% of the movies I've watched as well.

Indeed. My ears were orgasming all through Act 1 and the end of Act 3, as my walls shoock with every explosion.

I was feeling sorry for my neighbors, but not really...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
-Rogue5- said:
I beat it again last night on a no kill/no alert run... took 12hours skipping most cutscenes.

How do you get the
Roy Campbell
mask? Where is there an opportunity to run into him with the MkIII? During the intermissions he's just on the TV screen, so where/how do I bump him?
You can bump into him in act1 2(?) briefing.

TheWolf

Banned
yeah,
i get what people are saying about characters dying, but i was still tense during the Meryl/Johnny fight and thought it was entirely possible that they might not make it. i didn't like Naomi's death since i'm still not quite sure what her deal was and why it was necessary to go back with Liquid/Vamp, and the whole feeling up Vamp thing plus him saying "this will be your grave, as my queen wishes" or something rubbed me the wrong way since i'm still not sure what her feelings about him (Vamp) really were.

Prothero said:
Did the
microwave scene
remind anyone else of the Call of Duty 4 scene where
you crawl out of the helicopter in the middle of the nuked city
?

It actually reminded me of
torture sequences from previous MGS games. But this time, it was hellova powerful and IMO it's the greatest scene in MGS Franchise. The emotions, the cinematics happening via split-screen, the music, Otacon crying/yelling. Holy shit, this scene brought tears to my eyes and literally made me scream "COME ON SNAKE!! YOU'RE ALMOST THERE!!"

lawblob said:
I agree with you.
I thought it cheapened the game by not killing off more characters. Especially with Raiden, I was rolling my eyes a little bit towards the end, it was comical how much damage he was taking. I mean, give me a break... unless they are planning a straight-up MGS5 with total continuity in characters, I don't understand why Kojima wouldn't kill off more of them. The last one hour of the game I felt like I was watching a Superman movie... it just felt bizarre that nobody was dying.

Also, I generally didn't like Drebin. He felt too much like the stereotypical 'friendly black man narrator' who shows up in movies to help a white protagonist. Even though they tried to explain his role in the ending, I thought Drebin was way too corny, and totally unnecessary to the story. I cringed every time he would show up during the game. I think with him they had the makings of a great character, but they just went overboard with him.

Something tells me that
Raiden was meant to die at Shadow Moses and Snake was meant to die in the end, and last minute changes were brought since it doesn't sum up the story and leaves more questions. Ofcourse it's not last minute changes since changing a single phrase in cutscenes takes a day or two so this must have been atleast 3 to 6 months of work.

That said, I'm glad the way the game turned out whether it went the opposite of what i was expecting or went beyond my expectations. :)

TheWolf

Banned
Seiken said:
You can bump into him in act1 2(?) briefing.

it's weird,
they completely skip the Act 1 briefing in the game and you can only access it from the main menu. guess they wanted you to get right into the game.

crowphoenix said:
Going through a no kill, no alert run and am getting close to
Crying Wolf
. Any tips on this one?

Tranq the FROGs, they won't constantly respawn and if you hurry you can snipe Wolf with the Mosin Nagant by the time they wake up.

Acid08

Banned
Question about the BNB for you all
After you beat the Beast portion, how many of you killed then or just tranqued them? I killed all of them and don't really know why. Also what was your favorite? Mine had to be Raging Raven. The graphics were so amazing during that fight. It was so intense being on top of that building with shit blowing up all around you. A stunning setting for a boss fight.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So what other properites does the Camera have besides saving and exporting in game pictures? I've heard other people allude to it but not exactly sure what it is.

Phatcorns

My take right now based on how I felt while playing the game for the first time, not how I feel now because it'd be pointless for me to compare a 1998 game to a 2008 game:

1. MGS
2. MGS4
3. MGS3
4. MGS2

Strider2K99 said:
Am I the only one who wanted Snake to pull the trigger?
Yeah, I'm cruel. >_>

You think you're bad?
I was hoping I'd get to pull the trigger myself, my finger was already curled around R1!
:lol

lawblob said:
I agree with you.

I thought more than enough characters died off. You have to leave something for people to think about and make up their own minds on.

methos75

Banned
Big Nate said:
So I got up to what I think is the end of Act 4 last night, taking my time.

As brilliant as this game is, there's one thing that just cannot be underscored, bolded, and shouted from the rooftops of the world enough: THE SOUND. If you don't have a killer surround sound set-up, I feel really, really sorry for you if you are playing this game. It is THE definition of surround sound in gaming, and puts to shame 90% of the movies I've watched as well.

Not just in bass, but in every aspect. The sound field is amazing. For example, I shot a single bullet at a claymore, had the bullet ricochet back at me at an angle that took it from front-right to back-left. Not only did the sound traverse this entire distance accurately, through my living room, but the *thwack* sound it made when hitting a tree on the other end echo'd over the entire left of my room.

The best and most jaw-dropping moment so far, though, has to be in Act 4
when you are driving Rex out of the building and all those Gekko's are blowing up in and around you.
The sheer amount of surround effects, coupled with crushing bass, was just jaw-dropping. I'm simply agog at what Kojima and the sound engineers for this game have accomplished.

Every other developer out there is going to look at what they are doing and set a torch to their own work after hearing this game.

That is my biggest issue with the game, for a game ith uncompressed audio I found it a little underwhelming compared to Uncharted and Lair and I have a top of the line set-u. It just didn't feel as detailed, clear, or as spacious in its soundstage as thse games IMO.

freethought said:
You think you're bad?
I was hoping I'd get to pull the trigger myself, my finger was already curled around R1!
:lol

LOL!
Well, knowing MGS, i was definitely expecting an MGS3-ish ending i.e. The Boss finale. I'm glad we weren't forced to pull the trigger for i wasn't ready to kill him off just yet. :p

-Rogue5-

Phatcorns said:
My take right now based on how I felt while playing the game for the first time, not how I feel now because it'd be pointless for me to compare a 1998 game to a 2008 game:

1. MGS
2. MGS4
3. MGS3
4. MGS2

Seconded... I think MGS4 makes the previous games that much better, while still being a console generation defining game itself. One things for sure, it made me realize just how much I love every game in the series.

TheWolf said:
yeah,
i get what people are saying about characters dying, but i was still tense during the Meryl/Johnny fight and thought it was entirely possible that they might not make it. i didn't like Naomi's death since i'm still not quite sure what her deal was and why it was necessary to go back with Liquid/Vamp, and the whole feeling up Vamp thing plus him saying "this will be your grave, as my queen wishes" or something rubbed me the wrong way since i'm still not sure what her feelings about him (Vamp) really were.
Wait, Vamp is gay right?

jjasper

Baryn said:
Anyone else feel that this game could have been done on the PS2, sans the best-in-world visuals?

Sound quality and design says no.

Torquill said:
I wouldn't mind seeing 3D remakes of the original MG and MG2, perhaps with some expanded story.

They would make perfect PSN downloads with Bionic Commando style visuals. (If I say it enough Kojipro will consider it right?)

Seriously, if you haven't finished the game DON'T CHECK THIS SPOILER BOX! Don't go anywhere near it!

Man, I just felt so fucking sad when I thought Snake had killed himself. Like really physically sad.

After all the hype of 'ultimate sacrifice' and this being his last mission etc my brother figured he'd go out in a blaze of glory saving the world... I knew they'd make you think that then do something else, I was so tearing up (honestly) thinking after all that Snake just kills himself and that was the end of it all. :(

Then Big Boss shows up and its like HELL YEEEEEAH! Snake didn't kill himself AND Big Boss is there now!

I was frustrated thinking man, Big Boss deserved more than some skelly bones thing in a bag getting burnt... wtf!?! This character I played through with in MGS3 and PO and had such emotional investment in, I knew he wouldn't go out like that! (Either he was still left defeated by Snake in MG2 or he's alive somehow!)

Then for a second I thought oh shit they gonna kill each other, the only people cool enough to kill those guys are each other!!! :lol Then its like nar Big Boss just wants to rest, he's old, sick of fighting, been through so much, just go hang out with the rest of the gang, The Boss, Eva and Ocelot on the other side.

As for Snake, he gets a chance to live out rest of his days, no stress over Liquid, no war and battles, I like that ending. He deserves it.

/salutes TV

And thank you Hideo Kojima and the team, for a wonderful series.
(AND ACT4! ZOMG SO AMAZING!! THANK YOU FOR LETTING US GO THERE!!!)

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Conrad Link said:
Seriously, if you haven't finished the game DON'T CHECK THIS SPOILER BOX! Don't go anywhere near it!

Man, I just felt so fucking sad when I thought Snake had killed himself. Like really physically sad.

After all the hype of 'ultimate sacrifice' and this being his last mission etc my brother figured he'd go out in a blaze of glory saving the world... I knew they'd make you think that then do something else, I was so tearing up (honestly) thinking after all that Snake just kills himself and that was the end of it all. :(

Then Big Boss shows up and its like HELL YEEEEEAH! Snake didn't kill himself AND Big Boss is there now!

I was frustrated thinking man, Big Boss deserved more than some skelly bones thing in a bag getting burnt... wtf!?! This character I played through with in MGS3 and PO and had such emotional investment in, I knew he wouldn't go out like that! (Either he was still left defeated by Snake in MG2 or he's alive somehow!)

Then for a second I thought oh shit they gonna kill each other, the only people cool enough to kill those guys are each other!!! :lol Then its like nar Big Boss just wants to rest, he's old, sick of fighting, been through so much, just go hang out with the rest of the gang, The Boss, Eva and Ocelot on the other side.

As for Snake, he gets a chance to live out rest of his days, no stress over Liquid, no war and battles, I like that ending. He deserves it.

/salutes TV

And thank you Hideo Kojima and the team, for a wonderful series.
(AND ACT4! ZOMG SO AMAZING!! THANK YOU FOR LETTING US GO THERE!!!)
Yep
that part had me going Holy shit and WTF since Big Boss showed up. Hell me and my friend were checking out the fake credits asking ourselves when the hell did Big Boss speak in the game cause it showed him in them. Then bam he is there, badass moment.

Baryn said:
Anyone else feel that this game could have been done on the PS2, sans the best-in-world visuals?

Considering Hideo Kojima wanted MGS3 to be in PS3, Hell No. I don't think it's possible on PS2 unless you don't mind seeing PS1-ish visuals on PS2 with radio-quality audio.

Torquill

I actually called the Solidus thing as soon as I saw the body in the bag. I knew they wouldn't have Big Boss go out like that.

Baryn said:

No, actually. I don't. Sure they could have done most of it, but many of the cooler parts would have needed to be heavily scaled back.

Brandon F said:
"It's the Frogs!"

I love that quote for some reason. Just the way it's said makes me chuckle.

I like the line
"HERE THEY COME! *burp*"
. Drebin is such an awesome character. The voice work for him is fantastic.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Linkzg said:
I like the line
"HERE THEY COME! *burp*"

As Ryan said on 1up yours, it's a breakout performance. He's going to be everywhere.

Torquill said:
I actually called the Solidus thing as soon as I saw the body in the bag. I knew they wouldn't have Big Boss go out like that.

I didn't figure it out but it indeed made me say WTF espacially when
EVA failed to mentioned Solidus when she was talking about the clones, unless i am missing something :/

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Linkzg said:
I like the line
"HERE THEY COME! *burp*"

I agree, I enjoy Drebins voice work also, 1 of the many characters I love in MGS series.

shagg_187 said:
EVA failed to mentioned Solidus when she was talking about the clones, unless i am missing something :/

well I was also
wondering why she didn't mention him
but I am only on Act 4 :)

oh good MGO game btw lol

Unison

Last night, I finished the game at like 3 am, and fell asleep after watching most of the ending....

I woke up, and didn't think I missed much, but on reading this thread
I didn't realize that Snake didn't kill himself.... the last thing I saw with Snake was him pulling the trigger. :lol
!

I'll have to replay the ending tonight. :lol

All in all, I am a little disappointed with the game. It's great as fanservice, but almost incomprehensible as something self-contained. The gameplay is great though... I bet I'll like the game more while replaying it, when I'm able to skip the cutscenes.

I did enjoy it for what it was, but I felt like the experience as a whole was less innovative and interactive than the other games in the series. The bosses, for example, seem like a real downgrade. Still, it was $60 well-spent. It's a perfectly respectable close to the series, and it blows away most other games, that's for sure.

Torquill

shagg_187 said:

Yeah, one of the things they left up in the air was Solidus' birth, cause EVA specifically said she gave birth to twins. She never mentions Solidus. He probably have a different surregate mother. I actually liked that element, it helps give a physical reason why he never felt more involved with SOlid and LIquid. It also kind of makes sense, given Liquid's explination of their creation in the original Solid. Solidus would have his own surrogate.

methos75

Banned
Originally Posted by Baryn:

Hell yeah, fuck they could of done it on the GP32 or Ngage as well.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom