• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unison said:
Last night, I finished the game at like 3 am, and fell asleep after watching most of the ending....

I woke up, and didn't think I missed much, but on reading this thread
I didn't realize that Snake didn't kill himself.... the last thing I saw with Snake was him pulling the trigger. :lol
!

I'll have to replay the ending tonight. :lol

Rule of Thumb for MGS games: Stay AFTER CREDITS :)

Lonesome_Raod said:
Just bought this today. How epic is the first act! Wow it was a blast to play. 22 alerts though, oops!

Act 2 and 3 will blow your mind!!

tha_con

Banned
I honestly think
Snake not dying was just another good ol' bait and switch from Kojima. He lead us on, thinking he was going to die, and at the last second, hits us with the WTF. It was like the MGS2 Raiden switch, I honestly don't think anyone saw that coming

That said, anyone know what the big spoiler over at Kotaku was? I'm curious, I never read it, but I remember they had it in their headline. Anyone?

shagg_187 said:
Something tells me that
Raiden was meant to die at Shadow Moses and Snake was meant to die in the end, and last minute changes were brought since it doesn't sum up the story and leaves more questions. Ofcourse it's not last minute changes since changing a single phrase in cutscenes takes a day or two so this must have been atleast 3 to 6 months of work.

(Ending spoiler)
I'm glad that Raiden and Snake got to live at the end. I think having them die at the end would have had a much bigger impact, but it would have been way too grim. Both Raiden and Snake always had hard lives, for them both to die off at the end would have been really sad. Finally giving them a chance at peace was nice.

I also don't think it was too overboard that Raiden was able to stop Arsenal Gear or live through everything like that. I mean, 10 years before MGS4 a damaged Grey Fox had the power to stop Rex from crushing Snake. Add in the fact that technology in the Metal Gear games evolve at a super fast rate and I think it is fine to accept that Raiden's cyborg body was able to do such things.

shagg_187 said:
I didn't figure it out but it indeed made me say WTF espacially when
EVA failed to mentioned Solidus when she was talking about the clones, unless i am missing something :/

I am curious about Solidus. I mean, he was the perfect clone of Big Boss while Liquid and Snake were both different. I wonder what things were different for him.

FtsH

anyone wants a Metal Gear Raiden after this? No stealth, apply the gameplay from that MGS3 nightmare and control Ninja Raiden to rescue sunny and Big Boss's body.

tha_con

Banned
Baryn said:
Anyone else feel that this game could have been done on the PS2, sans the best-in-world visuals?

Please tell me this is a joke post. I'll be very disappointed in humanity if I know there are actually people who think like this...

fin

Just finished the game on the weekend. Loved it! Although I skipped through MGS3, so I think I'll be picking up Subsistance soon. It should make the whole origin of the Patriots discussions make a little more sense.

But I have to say, this is now my favorate game of all time. Better than Zelda64, Halo1-3, Bioshock, Metroid Prime, COD4, Splinter Cell, everything! Good job Kojima and co.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FtsH said:
anyone wants a Metal Gear Raiden after this? No stealth, apply the gameplay from that MGS3 nightmare and control Ninja Raiden to rescue sunny and Big Boss's body.
Big Boss's body?

Returners

freethought said:
You think you're bad?
I was hoping I'd get to pull the trigger myself, my finger was already curled around R1!
:lol

i thought to myself at that time,
please Kojima, please DON'T make me pull the trigger. I was half expecting a R1 icon to pop up (and wouldn't the ending wouldn't continue if i didn't)

Btw...
Whats this Assassin's Creed shit doing in my Metal Gear game?

>:|

Anyway, if I had to rank the cannon ones:

1. MGS1/TS
2. MGS4
3. MGS3
4. MGS2
5. MG1
6. MG2
7. MG:pO (story=really awwwweeeeesome, gameplay=a bit frustrating, not the biggest PSP player either so the controls felt weird).

Pretty silly to rank them though, considering theres very little difference in love between most of them.

Man, MGS4 is so amazing, I'm still buzzing and recovering over it. :D What a ride, takes a lot to get actual emotion out of me - awesome stuff.

tha_con

Banned
Returners said:
i thought to myself at that time,
please Kojima, please DON'T make me pull the trigger. I was half expecting a R1 icon to pop up (and wouldn't the ending wouldn't continue if i didn't)

I was honestly hoping he WOULD have done that...
then hit us with the bait and switch. How fucked up would that be? But awesome at the same time!

le.phat

i love how it absolutely ties up all the lose ends and merges the entire franchise in one complete experience. that said, there's just one thing that still burns my soul:

what does LA-LI-LU-LE-LO mean ?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just beat act 3, after some mindblowing cinemas... although the beginning part of act 3 was kinda boring and stretched on for far too long, IMO. But I can't wait to play more, I don't think I'll be able to get to playing until this weekend unfortunately :(

It's easily the best HD game ever.

Returners

le.phat said:
i love how it absolutely ties up all the lose ends and merges the entire franchise in one complete experience. that said, there's just one thing that still burns my soul:

what does LA-LI-LU-LE-LO mean ?

it means
The Patriots
. Apparently people in the system can't say it, so they have to use that instead.

Barrett2

Before playing this game, I wasn't very excited about MGO. But now.... I am pretty much in full MGS froth after completing the game. I can't wait to begin MGO!

jjasper

SleazyC said:
Nanomachines prevented normal people from saying "The Patriots" so people would say la-li-lu-le-lo instead (or at least thats what I took from it).

It isn't that they prevented it, it is that when they say the word "Patriots" the nanomachines alter it. People aren't chosing to say LA-LI-LU-LE-LO the system says that for them.

le.phat

Returners said:
it means
The Patriots
. Apparently people in the system can't say it, so they have to use that instead.

i knew the phrase represented
the patriots
, but i always thought it was an abbreviation of some sorts. thanks though :D

FUCK
I've had 12 heart attacks fighting Laughing Octopus! Not only does she scare the shit out of me by just appearing places or when I just happen to run past her, then realize that it's her, but the fucking audio is nervewracking as well.

It's so cool how you can see her silhouette if you're seeing her through glass..

FUCKKKKK

kuYuri

Ok, I finished the game about 2 days ago and I just wanted to post a few thoughts.

1. In Act
, I loved the scene of Snake
walking through the corridor with the microwaves and all the other stuff happening in split screen, then Snake emerges with part of his octocamo burned. Snake is just fucking crazy

2. The battle between
Snake and Liquid was the most epic shit I've ever seen. I could feel every punch and kick it was so good. It's amazing Snake could still fight after being exposed to the microwaves and shit. "LIQUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID!" "SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!"
That shit sends a chill down your spine. This part more or less made the game for me.

3. I felt that the game needed some more gameplay segments.

One question:

1. So, in the end
Did I hear him right, or did Liquid Ocelot say he wasn't really Liquid at all but rather just pretending to be Liquid
?

MiamiWesker said:
Quick question
Paramedic was someone called Dr. Clarke, who was Dr.Clarke? It has to do with Grey Fox in MGS1 correct?

Dr.Clark was in charge of the project that made Grey Fox into the Cyborg Ninja. He killed her when he escaped.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MiamiWesker said:
Quick question
Paramedic was someone called Dr. Clarke, who was Dr.Clarke? It has to do with Grey Fox in MGS1 correct?
She was a part of the Les Enfants Terrible-project and made Frank to a cyborg ninja. Fox also killed her.

kuYuri

MiamiWesker said:
Quick question

Yes,
Dr. Clark was the one who was in charge of the outfit Fox with an exoskeleton thing.

EDIT: Damn, beaten like two times :lol

Strider2K99 said:
1. So, in the end
Did I hear him right, or did Liquid Ocelot say he wasn't really Liquid at all but rather just pretending to be Liquid
?

Yeah something like that, this is what will cause discussion for a long time, cause it doesn't make much sense. EDIT: I shouldm't say sense, its more that it causes holes in the story.

Acid08

Banned
effingvic said:
FUCK
I've had 12 heart attacks fighting Laughing Octopus! Not only does she scare the shit out of me by just appearing places or when I just happen to run past her, then realize that it's her, but the fucking audio is nervewracking as well.

It's so cool how you can see her silhouette if you're seeing her through glass..

FUCKKKKK
Yeah, that was scary. Use the NV mode on the Solid Eye. You can see her perfectly when she's invisible. Fight became easy after that,

Yoshichan

MiamiWesker said:
Yeah something like that, this is what will cause discussion for a long time, cause it doesn't make much sense.
Absolutely HATED that part...
All this time, I've been saying Liquid instead of Ocelot... for fucks sake!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Finished Act 3 last night and decided to pack it up for the night. 15.5 hours into the game so yeah, this game will probably last 25 hours or more. :lol

Awesome, epic, mindblowing cutscene at the end. Also, the revelations were fantastic. Really makes you look at MGS3 in a new light. They really need to remake MGS3 for next-gen, although thinking about changing the camo index by going into a menu makes my brain hurt right now. The octocam is so great.

Thanks for the explanation above on what la-li-lu-le-lo means. Makes sense.

So this means that Snake, Big Mama, Liquid, etc. aren't in the SOP system?

i stayed up until 2:30am finishing the game up last night.

What a brilliant, exciting, emotional, insightful, touching experience. MGS4 is a case study on why games ARE art.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone else feel that this game could have been done on the PS2, sans the best-in-world visuals?
I don't think so, actually.

The maps are much larger, more complex, and filled with many more individuals AI units. Many of the major set piece events would be too much for the PS2 as well, I'd imagine. As with any game, scaling back the visuals and audio would certainly make it seem feasible, but in this case, I think the game itself would also need to be trimmed back quite a bit.

MGS3 pretty much pushed the limits of what Kojima Productions could do with PS2, I believe, and MGS4 goes pretty far beyond that.

Ferrio

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Yeah something like that, this is what will cause discussion for a long time, cause it doesn't make much sense.

Actually thought that was one of the few things that actually made sense. Was awesome when he did his hand gesture right before he died. Though I don't really understand what his motives where in MGS1 and 2.

Big Boss coming out of no where, now that didn't make sense.

Acid08

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Well,
Ocelot has them implant nanomachines into himself that would change his personality to become Liquid's and he went through psychotherapy to also change his personality. Kinda makes sense, I guess :/

Yoshichan

Can you kill every Gekko in the game and still have 0 kills?
Even when on top of Drebins truck with the machine gun?

Ferrio

Banned
Acid08 said:
Well,
Ocelot has them implant nanomachines into himself that would change his personality to become Liquid's and he went through psychotherapy to also change his personality. Kinda makes sense, I guess :/

The nanomachines didn't change his personality at all, it was only the psychotherapy. Big Boss himself says that nanomachines have no way to change a person into another.

Acid08 said:
Well,

Read my edit, I mean it brought a few holes to parts of the story.

Someone told me that the guide states Ocelot was just acting the whole time, which I do not believe. I believe the personality thing, that he was in conflict with Liquid over his body throughout the game.

chespace

Also, my no-kill run has been ruined. I have no idea what I can and can't kill.

It gave me 7 kills for Act 2 and I didn't kill anyone that I can think of. I even spared the Frogs during the boss fight.

Is it the helicopters I shot down? Grrr.

I know I gunned down a few Frogs during the chase scene on accident and thought 'fuck it', I will try no-kill on my next playthrough when people have figured this shit out to a science.

jjasper

chespace said:
Thanks for the explanation above on what la-li-lu-le-lo means. Makes sense.

So this means that Snake, Big Mama, Liquid, etc. aren't in the SOP system?

I am pretty sure snake is since he can't say "Patriots" (you hear him say it but it comes out as la-li-lu-le-lo to the other characters)

Big Mama isn't I don't think
because she is/was a Patriot

I don't know about Liquid (haven't finished) but I don't he is because he is in Ocelot's body and Ocelot
is/was a Patriot

Also Drebin is not in the system

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ok.

Mind you what I'm about to say is coming from a guy that was looking more forward to Civilization than MGS4 last week. In fact, I probably would have skipped the game till a later date but my friend got it for me for my birthday. I've only played one MGS game before this one.

That said, in Act 3 (maybe the middle, I'd say?) is the most MINDBLOWING GAMEPLAY SEQUENCE I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED. I replayed that thing three times and...yup, still absolutely INCREDIBLE.

WOW. WOWOWOWOWOWWOWOWWOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SleazyC

Seiken said:
Yes. Unmanned machines can be killed without counting towards your overall kill count.

jjasper said:
I am pretty sure snake is since he can't say "Patriots" (you hear him say it but it comes out as la-li-lu-le-lo to the other characters)

I don't know about Liquid (haven't finished) but I don't he is because he is in Ocelot's body and Ocelot
is/was a Patriot

I'm pretty sure snake said Patriots at one point and I don't think he is affected since he has older nanomachines that didn't have the restrictions the more current ones do.

chespace said:
Also, my no-kill run has been ruined. I have no idea what I can and can't kill.

It gave me 7 kills for Act 2 and I didn't kill anyone that I can think of. I even spared the Frogs during the boss fight.

Is it the helicopters I shot down? Grrr.

I know I gunned down a few Frogs during the chase scene on accident and thought 'fuck it', I will try no-kill on my next playthrough when people have figured this shit out to a science.

Does the guide explain this, can anyone answer? I would like to know this as well when I try a no kill run.

chespace

jjasper said:

is/was a Patriot

Wait, WTF? I know I've heard Snake say "the patriots". Are we to assume that it's really coming out as la li lu le lo to the other characters? C'mon, that's lame.

Yoshichan

Gowans007 said:
just wasted a all my ammo, let myself die in the end, how do I
kill/beat Vamp?
CQC, Syringe, done.

jjasper

chespace said:
Wait, WTF? I know I've heard Snake say "the patriots". Are we to assume that it's really coming out as la li lu le lo to the other characters? C'mon, that's lame.

If you listen when he says it to Meryl when they first meet she says "la-li-lu-le-lo, what's that?" Then when he is talking to Derbin in act 2 it comes up again.

SleazyC

MiamiWesker said:
Does the guide explain this, can anyone answer? I would like to know this as well when I try a no kill run.
Don't kill anything but Gekko's and the flyers that usually accompany Raven. If you stick to that you should see no kills pop up at the end of an act or the end of the game.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Seiken said:

Yes, Gekkos don't count against you for kills...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom