• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

camaroace said:
Someone just pointed this out on a youtube comment about a relation between a certain song
Call me Hal
and the MGS2 spoiler
When Emma dies she tells Hal to call Her Emma and not e.e.
This would link these two scenes together.

Sounds like they should have changed
Nocola and Bart in Here's to You to Dave and Hal.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Ok, I take back my earlier comment. The OP is still the best ever, but the thread has taken a critical dive after all the review griping. Typical GAF, this is why we can't have nice things :lol

I've listened to the whole soundtrack a couple times since yesterday, phenomenal stuff.

Callibretto said:
man, I hope MGS4 ending is not one of those depressing artsy kinda ending like the ending from No Country For Old Man. I like the movie, but the ending really left me feeling empty and depressed.

why?.. great ending imo.. best guy lives.

CommanderQueen said:
The ending to "No Country" was convoluted and poorly shot. I understood what they were saying but I know a lot of people who were confused by it and didn't know who was dead in the hotel room.

How can you NOT tell who was dead in the hotel room? The clothing made it pretty obvious, as well as his wife crying just a second later.

womfalcs3

Banned
Anybody know of upcoming deals for this game at Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.?

I called my local GameStop and their only software-only deal is if you trade in games towards MGS4, you get 20% off.

mileS

Didn't see anyone with this avatar so I'll gladly take it!

thanks Chef!

Always-honest said:
why?.. great ending imo.. best guy lives.

well, the whole movie I've been watching this old guy trying to survive and rooting for him to survive, and near the end he just died like that. they don't even show the moment of his death. I felt like he accomplish nothing despite his struggle. his wife's dead soon after, and if I remember it right, he's not even killed by guy hunting him. it's just depressing

if I apply that ending to mgs4, it'd be something like playing as snake, struggling till the end of the game where he finally got perfect chance to kill Liquid, and then Foxdie suddenly kicks in and he Solid Snake died of heart attack, failed to kill Ocelot, then we got epilogue with Ocelot killing Otacon, Meryl and anyone else

edit: spoiler for people who haven't watched no country for old man

MollyMillions

Neo Member
About the how/if of Snake's death:

I'm not ruling out a "heroic" suicide (even though it's been telegraphed so obviously in the trailers). Think about it as Snake going out on his own terms instead of whenever FoxDie randomly stops his heart.

I imagine if this happens there will be a huge rift about whether this was a good decision, seeing as how suicide is generally considered "cowardly", selfish and the "easy way out" in Western culture, while in Japan it is often seen as a courageous, selfless, honorable and moral act.

Should be interesting. More interesting than him dying of artificial old age or just being shot in combat.

lunlunqq

camaroace said:
Someone just pointed this out on a youtube comment about a relation between a certain song
Call me Hal
and the MGS2 spoiler
When Emma dies she tells Hal to call Her Emma and not e.e.
This would link these two scenes together.

Oh... shit!!!

I hate myself for reading this spoiler... fuck...

MollyMillions said:
About the how/if of Snake's death:

I'm not ruling out a "heroic" suicide (even though it's been telegraphed so obviously in the trailers). Think about it as Snake going out on his own terms instead of whenever FoxDie randomly stops his heart.

I imagine if this happens there will be a huge rift about whether this was a good decision, seeing as how suicide is generally considered "cowardly", selfish and the "easy way out" in Western culture, while in Japan it is often seen as a courageous, selfless, honorable and moral act.

Should be interesting. More interesting than him dying of artificial old age or just being shot in combat.

the safe way to go is died protecting or saving someone, I think all culture consider that as a noble thing to do, self sacrifice and all that. but you're right, it'll be interesting to the reaction if they choose to use the suicide death.

even if the trailer implied the suicide pretty heavily or that Snake's not gonna survive till the end, I'm still holding some hope that Snake will make it till the end. even in eurogamer review, they told Snake not to come back, sure it could basically mean no more metal gear games, but it could easily implied that Snake survives in the end

Dever

Banned
Metroidvania said:
Just watched the Beauty and the Beast section again....Damn, those bosses are going to be AMAZING to fight.

I can tell that Crying Wolf and Screaming Mantis are going to be my favorites. Wolf's sobbing creeps me out, and it's probably a given that Mantis is going to be a total mindfuck.

h3ro

Dever said:
I can tell that Crying Wolf and Screaming Mantis are going to be my favorites. Wolf's sobbing creeps me out, and it's probably a given that Mantis is going to be a total mindfuck.

I'm going to keep my other controllers ready... just in case.... :D

camaroace

B.K. said:
Sounds like they should have changed
Nocola and Bart in Here's to You to Dave and Hal.

Nice catch, I love how everybody has been tempted to read the spoiler tags that I posted and aren't to happy about it. Anything to seek more knowledge about MGS4 before it comes out ehh?

lunlunqq

Antdogg355 said:
I am glad I read the responses first because I was a few literally a few seconds away from highlighting that spoiler.

DON'T YOU EVER HIGHLIGHT IT!!! Believe me. It will give you a terrible terrible feeling... shit...

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Jason's Ultimatum said:
What does "Kuwabara" mean? Volgin kept saying it in MGS3. The only Kuwabara I know is the dude from that anime.
"Kuwabara kuwabara" a Chinese myth to ward off lighting. It is akin to "knock on wood" for the English language. The term "kuwabara" means "mulberry field," a reference to a Chinese myth that mulberry trees cannot be struck by lightning.

jdnation

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
What does "Kuwabara" mean? Volgin kept saying it in MGS3. The only Kuwabara I know is the dude from that anime.

It's a Japanese thing, like a superstitious good luck charm that you say whenever there is a thunderstorm so you don't get struck by lightning.

Edit: What sykoex said...

Callibretto said:
well, the whole movie I've been watching this old guy trying to survive and rooting for him to survive, and near the end he just died like that. they don't even show the moment of his death. I felt like he accomplish nothing despite his struggle. his wife's dead soon after, and if I remember it right, he's not even killed by guy hunting him. it's just depressing

if I apply that ending to mgs4, it'd be something like playing as snake, struggling till the end of the game where he finally got perfect chance to kill Liquid, and then Foxdie suddenly kicks in and he Solid Snake died of heart attack, failed to kill Ocelot, then we got epilogue with Ocelot killing Otacon, Meryl and anyone else
use spoilers tags....
so you're a sucker for hollywood endings... plenty of that for you...
great ending imo. best guy walks away

Barrett2

Does anyone else think the gun-metal PS3 is ugly as hell? IMO, the hottest PS3 bundle would be a white system with a small & discrete Snake logo etched on the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom