• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guled

Cartman86 said:
I'm not 100% sure on the first part, but i'm 100% sure Foxdie is what kills Big Boss at the end. I'll need to play again to make sure what "version" of Foxdie did it. Maybe i'm wrong on Drebin being the one that injected the new Foxdie.
the new foxdie took over the old one. Drebin injected it in him and thats whats kills eva, ocelot, and Big Boss. Since the new foxdie is killing the old ones, he won't turn into a biological weapon, but he still has months to live. Anyone glad that Snake didn't die. After Kojima was hyping up the fact he gets killed, I was relived when I saw that he couldn't do it.

Last thing, anyone try making the bosses dance?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
TTP said:
Nono, I noticed that as well. They do totally ignore u if you are on their line of fire. They keep shooting no matter what.

I noticed that, but it's not my primary complaint. I meant that they've actually gone on alert and actively hunted me in at least two areas that I can recall specifically. Both times, I'd built up lots of love from them, then was attacked while I walked among them later. Both times, there was no fight on at the time, and therefore no opportunity to accidentally shoot someone.

Two things, "The Best is Yet to Come" playing at the hanger was one of the most emotional moments for me in a game, I know it's corny. Second the final fight with Liquid and the changing of MGS1/2/3 energy bars and music was the greatest send off a game could ever have.

jet1911

BlueTsunami said:
I disagree with that, I think that fight was one of the better parts of the whole game. It felt so grandiose. I loved the f' out of it.

Yep.
Just before the fight I was like "Wow. Would be cool if it turned into a fighting game.... HOLY SHIT!!! :O :O :O

Stillmatic said:
Someone else has probably already pointed this tune out, but i just found 'Flowing Destiny' the ZOE main theme for the iPod.

Soo good. :D

Where!!!!

Btw is there any MGS2/MGS3 music for the iPod? I have found none.

Cartman86

Banned
Guled said:
the new foxdie took over the old one. Drebin injected it in him and thats whats kills eva, ocelot, and Big Boss. Since the new foxdie is killing the old ones, he won't turn into a biological weapon, but he still has months to live. Anyone glad that Snake didn't die. After Kojima was hyping up the fact he gets killed, I was relived when I saw that he couldn't do it.

Yep i'm glad he didn't die, but i'm also glad that he didn't end it with an extreme happy ending. Snake is going to die soon, and not everyone got away unscathed in the end.

jaydogg691

BlueTsunami said:
I disagree with that, I think that fight was one of the better parts of the whole game. It felt so grandiose. I loved the f' out of it.

The fighting mechanics were bad IMO. Maybe it's because I suck, but it wasn't as great as going against The Boss in MGS3.

Pojo

Banned
tha_con said:
Cool little side note from act 4:

When in the Nuke storage area B2 (where you fight Gray Fox) you can use the MK II to shock the living shit out of the Gekko by turning on the electric floor. Awesome!
How much stuff like that is in this game? I really, really wish that you could go back and play certain acts from a menu, even if it meant re-installing them every time. Touches like this are completely wasted.

Also, where is my cutscene theater? Maybe for MGS4 Subtantial or whatever.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
jaydogg691 said:
The fighting mechanics were bad IMO. Maybe it's because I suck, but it wasn't as great as going against The Boss in MGS3.

It did feel awkward at first but the way it would cut in and out of alternate angles was fantastic.

Also, the requirments for some of the more elite badges are freaking crazy. No Recovery Items used? Wow just wow.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Ken Masters said:
Two things, "The Best is Yet to Come" playing at the hanger was one of the most emotional moments for me in a game, I know it's corny. Second the final fight with Liquid and the changing of MGS1/2/3 energy bars and music was the greatest send off a game could ever have.
So true, Kojima must of known how munch fans loved the rex fist fight.

I also loved how we had to beat the Liquid out of Ocelot.

Guled

Pojo said:
How much stuff like that is in this game? I really, really wish that you could go back and play certain acts from a menu, even if it meant re-installing them every time. Touches like this are completely wasted.

Also, where is my cutscene theater? Maybe for MGS4 Subtantial or whatever.
just make a save at the start of every act or awesome event

Cartman86

Banned
ScissorHands said:
Where!!!!

Spoilers if you don't want to know what the hidden songs are I suppose

Metal Gear Solid Main Theme (The Document Remix)
Rock Me Baby
Snake Eater
Subsistence Action
The Fury
Yell Dead Cell

Those are the ones from MGS2/3 that I know of right now.

Link to List of songs known. May contain spoilers

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/IPod#Collectable_Songs

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
jaydogg691 said:
it was hard because you had to figure out the mechanics for yourself, but it made for an epic comeback when you did.

heres what i gathered:

r1 - soft combo
l1 - r1 - hard punch
x - dash and evade

then you could position liquid for certain QTEs

Guled said:
the new foxdie took over the old one. Drebin injected it in him and thats whats kills eva, ocelot, and Big Boss. Since the new foxdie is killing the old ones, he won't turn into a biological weapon, but he still has months to live.

Er...
if the new foxdie did it, how did Ocelot survive Eastern Europe? I mean, I guess I could vaguely understand Eva lasting through the bossfight and chase, but Ocelot had a long time there after being in proximity with Snake...

Teknoman

TAJ said:
Never. Did you read my post on the last page? I gave a more detailed example. In that instance, when they turned on me I hadn't used a weapon in over a minute.
The first time it happened was in their hideout in Act 1. They were cool at first while I walked through, but about halfway in they went apeshit for no apparent reason.

Huh. That never happened to me. Then again I blew up both of those PMC vehicles in Act 1. Also they give you a Militia disguise so if you didnt help them out earlier, you should be fairly safe.

But yeah, i've never had that happen, so maybe it was an odd occurance? Then again I always feel compelled to help the militia fighters to the best of my abilities.

Guled

-COOLIO- said:
it was hard because you had to figure out the mechanics for yourself, but it made for an epic comeback when you did.

heres what i gathered:

r1 - soft combo
l1 - r1 - hard punch
x - dash and evade

then you could position liquid for certain QTEs
can't you press select to check the controls, not sure. Also, hold r1 to do cqc moves

Cartman86

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
Er...
if the new foxdie did it, how did Ocelot survive Eastern Europe? I mean, I guess I could vaguely understand Eva lasting through the bossfight and chase, but Ocelot had a long time there after being in proximity with Snake...

I've always been under the impression that Foxdie doesn't always kill right away. It's sort of random and sometimes takes its sweet ass time. Or am I crazy?

plovie

hideo-kojima.jpg

HAS MADE YOU HIS BITCH

.....................................................................................................

SUCK IT DOWN

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Cartman86 said:
I've always been under the impression that Foxdie doesn't kill right away. It takes its sweet ass time. Or am I crazy?

FoxDie = always took a while. DARPA chief spilled his guts, Liquid lasted HOW long?

New FoxDie seems to be the same. Big Mama lasted through the chase, Ocelot lasted that final battle, Big Boss fought through it for a good while.

Grayman

Guled said:
can't you press select to check the controls, not sure. Also, hold r1 to do cqc moves
You can. Also even with that menu the fighting just felt bad.

Opinion based on mechanics:
Worst end game fist fight in the series.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
the number of people i've heard in here say that this is the greatest game ever, after beating it, is pretty damn crazy.

hopefully it's not just the new car smell and this does stand the test of time. because it's been a really great experience so far.

Question about the face masks you can unlock

is it possible to unlock the ones that can only be unlocked through the mission briefings after you beat the game? like the raiden and otocon ones

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TAJ said:
I noticed that, but it's not my primary complaint. I meant that they've actually gone on alert and actively hunted me in at least two areas that I can recall specifically. Both times, I'd built up lots of love from them, then was attacked while I walked among them later. Both times, there was no fight on at the time, and therefore no opportunity to accidentally shoot someone.

That's pretty odd. Never happened to me and I did a lot of fucking around with the rebels/resistance.

You sure you are dealing with the same faction right? I mean, the guys in Middle East and those in South Africa are not the same.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Cartman86 said:
Spoilers if you don't want to know what the hidden songs are I suppose

Metal Gear Solid Main Theme (The Document Remix)
Rock Me Baby
Snake Eater
Subsistence Action
The Fury
Yell Dead Cell

Those are the ones from MGS2/3 that I know of right now.

Link to List of songs known. May contain spoilers

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/IPod#Collectable_Songs

Looking at the disc, all the songs that come with the game are:

AttackoftheDwarfGekko
BIO_HAZARD
BOKUTAI_DS_THEME
Backyard_Blues
Beyond_The_Bounds
BigBoss
Bokutai2_THEME
Bokutai3_THEME
Bon_Dance
Calling_To_The_Night
Chase
Destinys_Call
Flowing_Destiny
FreeComp
Inori
LEVEL3_WARNING
MG20YearsHistory_Vol1
MG20YearsHistory_Vol2
MG20YearsHistory_Vol3
MG20YearsHistory_Vol4
MGS4_Thema_Of_Love_SmaXvr
MGSTheme_DocumentRemix
MIP_001_02
MPO+THEME
OPENING_TITLE_OLD_L
OishiTsuhan
On_Alert
One_Night_in_NEOKOBECITY
POLICENAUTS_END_TITLE
Rock_Me_Baby
SUBSISTENCE_ACTION
Sailor
Sea_Breeze
Show_Time
Snake_Eater
Sneaking
THEMA_OF_TARA
THEME_OF_SOLID_SNAKE
THE_BEST_IS_YET_TO_CO
Takin_On_The_Shagohod
Test_Subject_Burns
Test_Subjects_Dualityt
The_Essence_Of_Vince
The_Fury
WARHEAD_STORAGE
Who_Am_I_Medley
ZanzibarBreeze
yell_dead_cell

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Ken Masters said:
Major props to anyone who unlocks the
Big Boss emblem

wow @ the requirements

On my way now. On Chapter 2. I'll share the save with whoever wants it once I'm done. :p

Ken Masters said:

is it possible to unlock the ones that can only be unlocked through the mission briefings after you beat the game? like the raiden and otocon ones

Yep.

Cartman86

Banned
Ken Masters said:

Yes

traveler

Not Wario
Going through Act 2 again right now and I'm still marveling at how great it is.
The Power Station, the Confinement Facility, Vista Mansion, Laughing Octopus, the tracking sequence, the finale with Drebin- it's the single best stealth action level in any game I've ever played.
Why couldn't the whole game be like this?

Grayman

mattiewheels said:
the number of people i've heard in here say that this is the greatest game ever, after beating it, is pretty damn crazy.

hopefully it's not just the new car smell and this does stand the test of time. because it's been a really great experience so far.
I wouldn't call it that but the game is great if you like metal gear, especially the story aspect because this game is the heaviest in story to play ratio.

Like most games there are a lot of small nitpicky things that should be different that stop it from being best game ever as well.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
mattiewheels said:

Ive personally never seen anything like the reception this game has gotten in other official threads.

Grayman

TTP said:
That's pretty odd. Never happened to me and I did a lot of fucking around with the rebels/resistance.

You sure you are dealing with the same faction right? I mean, the guys in Middle East and those in South Africa are not the same.
I had middle easterners randomly turn on me during the game. I got lost in an area and had to tranq rob a whole squad while looking for a ladder.

plovie

mattiewheels said:

If it's not the best game ever it's at least really damned close.

Cartman86

Banned
Solideliquid said:
you mean on a second playthrough there are new face camo to unlock on the Nomad?

There are ones that can be unlocked during the regular course of the game, but if you missed them you can always go back and get them by just going to the mission briefings. No need to play game over again.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
traveler said:
Going through Act 2 again right now and I'm still marveling at how great it is.
The Power Station, the Confinement Facility, Vista Mansion, Laughing Octopus, the tracking sequence, the finale with Drebin- it's the single best stealth action level in any game I've ever played.
Why couldn't the whole game be like this?

I dunno why some people are bothered with variety. I loved NOT having to go through the same shit over and over again.

SnakeXs said:
FoxDie = always took a while. DARPA chief spilled his guts, Liquid lasted HOW long?

New FoxDie seems to be the same. Big Mama lasted through the chase, Ocelot lasted that final battle, Big Boss fought through it for a good while.

This is an order of magnitude larger though. Eva lasted about as long as Liquid did with the last foxdie. Enough for a meet and greet, a fight, and a chase. DARPA chief went down really quickly too, compared to Ocelot, who fought at the sewer, then jumped on a boat. Then had a drawn-out showdown. Then eventually got onboard a new ship. Then ran off to Shadow Moses. Then survive Shadow moses, get onboard a ship again, head out to see, get caught, drag it out some more...you get the picture.

Hell, was there even an indication of it? A sound effect or something? Because all I heard was Snake beating the shit out of the guy.

traveler

Not Wario
TTP said:
I dunno why some people are bothered with variety. I loved NOT having to go through the same shit over and over again.

If the additional stuff had been as fun and interesting as the first two acts, (and Act 3 almost was- I have no qualms with it really outside of how
uninteresting the boss fight was and how large the story-to-game ratio was
) then yeah, I wouldn't have minded the variety. :p

Stillmatic

ScissorHands said:
Where!!!!

Flowing Destiny (ZOE ending theme) can be found:

In Shadow Moses where you fought Raven in the tank
. There'll be two Gekko's, the one on the left is next to a big metal pillar. There's a little hole behind the pillar that you have to crawl through to get it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Grayman said:
You can. Also even with that menu the fighting just felt bad.

Opinion based on mechanics:
Worst end game fist fight in the series.
I respect your opinion but what does say... the original liquid-snake fight have on this?

Diablos

Ok, I see lots of discussion about the plot here, but I'm still confused. Please help me understand:

Was EVA just playing along if she was really working with Ocelot? I don't understand. Really, I don't. She and Ocelot, after all, both wanted to bring down the Patriots.

Was Liquid Ocelot playing along the entire time or did he have bigger ideas after the Patriots' AI was destroyed? Was this whole thing he orchestrated a facade? Liquid is not a morally sound individual; even if his true intention was to simply destroy the Patriots, if he had his way, the game wouldn't have ended like it did with Sunny's virus restoring order. Right or not?

Why exactly did Drebin inject FOXDIE into people who WERE the Patriots if he was also working for them? Because he wanted every last trace of the Patriots gone, even if they too wanted to destroy the AI?

Can it be assumed that the new Foxdie in Solid Snake combined with the old Foxdie is basically negating the deadly effects, and all that's slowing Snake down is how his cloned body naturally ages at an accelerated rate?

Basically, is it that everyone shares the same view that the Patriots' AI must be destroyed, however, what they do to the world after that happens is where their opinions differ? When Big Boss tied together all the loose ends during the final act, it made my head spin. And it still is.

Please, someone help me make sense of all this stuff.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
TTP said:

About 50 of my 85 PMC kills in the Middle East happened in front of militia members, and I did do some serious vehicle destruction in front of them.
They witnessed somewhere around 200 PMC kills in South America before they turned on me, and at least 60 of those were within six to seven minutes of the betrayal.

Cartman86

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
This is an order of magnitude larger though. Eva lasted about as long as Liquid did with the last foxdie. Enough for a meet and greet, a fight, and a chase. DARPA chief went down really quickly too, compared to Ocelot, who fought at the sewer, then jumped on a boat. Then had a drawn-out showdown. Then eventually got onboard a new ship. Then ran off to Shadow Moses. Then survive Shadow moses, get onboard a ship again, head out to see, get caught, drag it out some more...you get the picture.

Hell, was there even an indication of it? A sound effect or something? Because all I heard was Snake beating the shit out of the guy.

So much black!!!

I am curious if the typical foxdie sound effect occured during Ocelots fight. I don't actually remember Big Boss saying that Ocelot died from Fox Die. I would assume that the Patriots would have made it do so, but i'm not sure. How many hours would you say occured between Europe and Haven? 15-24 hours??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom