• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

N30RYU

effingvic said:
Act IV question:

just got ambushed by that gekko blocking the elevator. i did some gangsta shit and blew him up with my RPG. yet, i feel like there was another way to get past him, like a sneaking way or something. howd you guys do it?

If you mean the one near where you meet Otakon in MGS, use the MKII and go to the energy control panel that you shutdown in MGS with the Nikita to switch on the electric floor and kill the Irving.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
N30RYU said:
That voice isn't Liquid? When in MGS he told to Snake something like "I've seen your face while fighting and enjoying killing my comrades"

I read it on Gamefaqs so it probably is BS :lol . I'm wondering why hes credited as such though

Is the song for the iPod
Metal Gear Solid Main Theme (The Document Remix)
the main main theme of mgs? and that
Snatcher
song is that the main theme? I love that song.

N30RYU said:
If you mean the one near where you meet Otakon in MGS, use the MKII and go to the energy control panel that you shutdown in MGS with the Nikita to switch on the electric floor and kill the Irving.

FUCK MAN. im definately trying this next time >_< i feel like crap now..

TTP said:
The RED doll (Psycho mantis). The blue one (The sorrow) does nothing to her.

Orly?

I must have
picked up the RED doll
on my first try. Never recall knocking the
BLUE one
down.

I love how much (both minor and large) 'stuff' there is to experience, find, unlocked, try differently on your 2nd / 3rd / forever play through.

TTP said:
Look closer.
It doesn't read "Exit" but "ExiSt". Also, try selecting Exist once...

Dammit. I must know what happens if you choose it now. I noticed it said
ExiSt instead of Exit
and the size difference but didn't dare choose it as much as I wanted to.

jet1911

g35twinturbo said:
just beat screaming mantis!

wow just wow
Psycho Mantis!!

Do you have a DualShock? I'm curious to know what he says when he tries to show you how he can manipulate your controller.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
gamerx said:
At the end of Act 5
Where u fight Liquid, Is there any more buttons other then just kick,punch, grab, and block?

Press select. In short you have dashing, a combo, a strong combo, CQC, blocking, and some context sensitive triangle actions.

Diablos

Ferrio said:
-Most likely Eva was working along the entire time, otherwise it wouldn't make sense..

-It was never Liquid, Liquid died in MGS1... he really never returned. Ocelot just used psychotherapy on himself to convince himself that he was Liquid, though he still retained a bit of his former self. He eventually reverts totally back at the end of game. His only goal was to destroy the AIs, nothing sinister.

-The only one drebin injected was snake, and I'm guessing that was a straight order from the patriots to keep snake alive a little longer.

-THe new foxdie took over the old one. Even so if somehow snake lived past the whole old age thing, the new foxdie would eventually mutate and become infectious. But since snake only has several months to live, it'll never come to passs.

-So she knew the body was Solidus and not the real Big Boss? Why did they even orchestrate that huge ordeal then? The resistance, the chase through town, killing off all those soldiers, crashing helicopters, Liquid Ocelot beating the everlovin' SHIT out of Solid Snake... they HAD to do this to fool the AI, or what? Was EVA not as integrated into the plan as Ocelot, Naomi, etc. were, and they unfortunately had to fool her too?

-Figured as much but I just wanted to make sure.

-So how did the rest of them get Foxdie...?

-Figured.

Was Liquid Ocelot's plan an orchestrated facade? Meaning, all of the PMC battles, B&B fights, chases, backstabbing, and general craziness was intended so that the Patriots' AI could be fooled?

PS - you plot-savvy people should really go edit the Metal Gear Wiki and Wikipedia articles on this game, they are really lacking.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
jet1911 said:
Do you have a DualShock? I'm curious to know what he says when he tries to show you how he can manipulate your controller.

yeah
I had DS3 since they been on sold in Japan, you played MGS1 right?

jet1911 said:

If you have a DualShock...

After you set down the controller, he makes it rumble and shake around and brags about his powers and says, "HAHAhahaha, RUMBLE IS BACK!" then theres flashes of the old rumble controller, and he goes away.

If you don't have a dual shock he just says, "What?! No rumble!?" and then goes away.

BlueTsunami

fourzerotwo said:
If you don't have a dual shock he just says, "What?! No rumble!?" and then goes away.

You also get a flashback sequence and you see a girl with a DS1 on her neck (accompanied by a girls voice saying "No messages for you..." in s a deamy sexy voice. I laughed hard during the whole Psycho Mantis sequence

jet1911 said:

He screams "Vibration is back!!!!"

For those that are on a second or third playthrough, which
facecamo
are you going to play with?

Cartman86

Banned
Diablos said:
-So she knew the body was Solidus and not the real Big Boss? Why did they even orchestrate that huge ordeal then? Killing off all those soldiers, crashing helicopters... they HAD to do this to fool the AI, or what? Or was it because EVA was not as integrated into the plan as Ocelot, Naomi, etc. were, and they unfortunately had to fool her too?

-Figured as much but I just wanted to make sure.

-So how did the rest of them get Foxdie...?

-Figured.

Was Liquid Ocelot's plan an orchestrated facade? Meaning, all of the PMC battles, mantis fights, chases, backstabbing, and general craziness was intended so that the Patriots' AI could be fooled?

PS - you plot-savvy people should really go edit the Metal Gear Wiki and Wikipedia articles on this game, they are really lacking.

- To me it only makes sense if Eva did not know that Ocelot planned all of this. That he was actually the "good" guy. I suppose Eva could've pretended and actually jumped on the fire knowing full well she didn't need to, but to me if she did know it ruins the drama, so I chose to believe she didn't know.

- How did the rest of them get Foxdie? Foxdie spreads from person to person. Snake had it so anyone who comes in contact with him is infected and is killed at some point

- I'm gonna say yes.

Yes they are lacking.

effingvic said:
Act IV question:

just got ambushed by that gekko blocking the elevator. i did some gangsta shit and blew him up with my RPG. yet, i feel like there was another way to get past him, like a sneaking way or something. howd you guys do it?
I crawled under the rubbage at the other end of the hallway, went through the wrecked office, and went around the Gekko. Then I called the elevator and got in behind its back.

tha_con

Banned
So gaf, I don't REALLY know if we need another...MGS4 theme...but I've been bored...and working on this:

mgs4_preview.png

The wallpaper is temporary, just needed something to 'fill in' for now.

Cartman86

Banned
untoldhero said:
Is the song for the iPod
Metal Gear Solid Main Theme (The Document Remix)
the main main theme of mgs? and that
Snatcher
song is that the main theme? I love that song.

Sadly i'm listening to it right now and I see no resemblance. Very weird. Don't know about the
Snatcher
one.

1stStrike

Banned
Oh yea, they did it for the previous metal gears. http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=366752 "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Coming Soon"

Eventually, you'll be able to enjoy the entire series from your couch. They also do a good job of showing all the easter eggs, hidden codec conversations, multiple The End encounters, etc. I watched the MPO one, cause the gameplay was a bit of a turn off for me, but I still wanted the complete story.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
fourzerotwo said:
Dammit. I must know what happens if you choose it now. I noticed it said
ExiSt instead of Exit
and the size difference but didn't dare choose it as much as I wanted to.

It's not a big deal, but give it a shot when you are at it next time ;)

Diablos

Cartman86 said:
- To me it only makes sense if Eva did not know that Ocelot planned all of this. That he was actually the "good" guy. I suppose Eva could've pretended and actually jumped on the fire knowing full well she didn't need to, but to me if she did know it ruins the drama, so I chose to believe she didn't know.
So EVA wanted to stop the Patriots' AI by less forceful and violent means, while Ocelot remained his true evil badass self and had fun along the way... she had to be fooled into thinking the body was really The Boss, though. Why would she willingly jump into the fire just to trick Old Snake into thinking he was The Boss? Makes no sense.

How did the rest of them get Foxdie? Foxdie spreads from person to person. Snake had it so anyone who comes in contact with him is infected and is killed at some point
Well if that's the case, everyone Snake was with in the game would have died or at the very least been confirmed to have it. Otacon, Sunny, Meryl, everyone. Snake didn't get that improved version until he met Drebin, which is after he was with those people.

I'm gonna say yes.
Fucked up. So if Liquid wasn't such a badass, perhaps they could have figured out a less destructive way to kill the Patriots' AI? Hmm... it's almost like it was an ego thing for Liquid. He had to fuck with the world one more time before he kicked a really bad habit, or something.

This story is soooo confusing.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
tha_con said:
So gaf, I don't REALLY know if we need another...MGS4 theme...but I've been bored...and working on this:

mgs4_preview.png

The wallpaper is temporary, just needed something to 'fill in' for now.
looks coo

Sullen

Beat the game earlier, totally rad, etc etc.

Question:
Is there a way to get the 2nd doll off screaming mantis? I only got the psycho mantis doll. If so, what does the other doll do and how do you get it?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
fourzerotwo said:
I love how much (both minor and large) 'stuff' there is to experience, find, unlocked, try differently on your 2nd / 3rd / forever play through.

Indeed. I'm currently practicing doing the hold ups at enemies while they are on the ground. If u do so and go away, they apparently never stand up again. They basically stay there forever, face in the dust and hands behind the neck, so you don't need to tranq them nor to worry about them waking up later. Unless they are discovered by another guard of course.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Sullen said:

Question:
Is there a way to get the 2nd doll off screaming mantis? I only got the psycho mantis doll. If so, what does the other doll do and how do you get it?

ya know I died the first time
but I got both of the dolls, but didn't know what to do with it.

Diablos

Sullen said:

Question:
Shoot them both with a sniper rifle enough times and they fall to the ground. You have to go over to wherever they fell off and pick them up (like you would any other item) so it gets added to your inventory. I'm pretty sure you have to shoot them both off to damage mantis, though I could be wrong, so you may have shot them both off, but only noticed that you did it once. Although, if you leave the dolls unattended for a long enough time, mantis is supposed to collect them again. So maybe you can beat mantis with only one doll; I never tried it that way.

TTP said:
Indeed. I'm currently practicing doing the hold ups at enemies while they are on the ground. If u do so and go away, they apparently never stand up again. They basically stay there forever, face in the dust and hands behind the neck, so you don't need to tranq them nor to worry about them waking up later. Unless they are discovered by another guard of course.

Lol I would call that retarded but I don't know if I could stand up after having Snake point a gun at me either @.@

Captain Glanton said:
I crawled under the rubbage at the other end of the hallway, went through the wrecked office, and went around the Gekko. Then I called the elevator and got in behind its back.

..you could do that..?

:|

im going to devote my summer finding out every possible way to pass every possible encounter with every possible enemy this summer. believe it!

Nemesis_

g35twinturbo said:
My only complaint is that there is no Movie viewer :(
Or even a casting theatre or Boss Rush mode. I hope these things get implemented - I don't mind paying for them because, well, it's MGS after all.

What's the odds of a re-release similar to Substance, Subsistence? Or are developmental costs just too high?

BlueTsunami

Sullen said:

Question:

The other doll allows you to manipulate dead bodies (this is assuming you got the Red one and not the Blue one). Its appearently useful for lifting said dead body up and shaking items out of them

Nemesis_

Bloodwake said:
I beat the best game ever today.

It just happens to be the game discussed in this thread.

Tears were cried.
Tears began from the line
Snake had a hard life
delivered by Otacon. My sister couldn't believe I was crying from a game, and then I just started laughing after realising that
Snake didn't kill himself

MGS3 made me ALMOST cry and MGS4 went that step further. The microwave scene is the best and most poignant scene I've ever seen in a movie or game....full stop. Music works beautifully too.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
about all this ocelot pretending talk. He wasn't really pretending. I'm fairly certain that he actually believed himself to be Liquid because of the intensive conditioning, which is why you had to beat the Liquid out of him

ElyrionX

Alright, just thought I'd post some pros and cons now that I've finished the game

The Good:
+ Much improved gameplay mechanics all around
+ Awesome shooting mechanics
+ Best next-gen visuals and presentation ever
+ Great gameplay variety
+ Raiden
+ Metal Gear Mk II made sneaking around so much easier
+ Huge variety of guns
+ Fantastic atmosphere
+ Rex vs Ray
+ OctoCamo is incredibly cool and Face OctoCamo made you look like a ninja

The Bad:
- Some truly cringeworthy scenes ("Commander......I'M SCARED!", jesus christ)
- No classic MGS theme song. WTF
- They had you believe Raiden was dead TWICE and just glossed over the fact that he's still alive in the next cutscene. WTF is this shit.
- Weaksauce bosses
- MGS3 had the much better plot and ending
- No chance to play as Raiden

I still don't really know what to think. I clocked 21 hours and I can't believe I completed MGS4 in so few days and I can't believe that this is the end of MGS. It's probably the only game franchise where I have completed every game in the series (MGS1 to MGS4).

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Nemesis556 said:
Tears began from the line
Snake had a hard life
delivered by Otacon. My sister couldn't believe I was crying from a game, and then I just started laughing after realising that
Snake didn't kill himself

MGS3 made me ALMOST cry and MGS4 went that step further. The microwave scene is the best and most poignant scene I've ever seen in a movie or game....full stop. Music works beautifully too.

i cried at multiple points.
when i thought snake shot himself, when otacon said snake had a hard life, when raiden got his family, when the theme we all thought was gone was played in its full glory during the credits, when big boss says he was proud of snake and respected him as a soldier, and finally the conversation after the real credits

i was fucking emotional :\

Sweet. I know killed/alarmed/continued act 3.

Any tips for Act 4?

Do i have to
distract that gecho for 3 minutes without an alarm or is it like a boss battle and doesnt really matter?

Also are there any videos for a non lethal wolf battle? Im seriously not looking foward to that....

Ferrio

Banned
Diablos said:
Well if that's the case, everyone Snake was with in the game would have died or at the very least been confirmed to have it. Otacon, Sunny, Meryl, everyone. Snake didn't get that improved version until he met Drebin, which is after he was with those people.

Foxdie only targets specific people. Only when it mutates does it have a possibility of killing off a larger population.

ElyrionX said:
Alright, just thought I'd post some pros and cons now that I've finished the game

The Bad:
- They had you believe Raiden was dead TWICE and just glossed over the fact that he's still alive in the next cutscene. WTF is this shit.

Yeah, I completely agree.
One moment, it's Raiden cutting his arm off, holding off a superfortress and then poetically bleeding out in the water. Basically goes out in a similar manner to Cyborg Ninja from MGS1, *AND* he already nearly died once in the game already so you have more reason than ever to assume he's dead. (And be pissed that he wasn't playable, but that's neither here nor there.)

Next scene:
<Otacon> So Raiden is going to make it, huh?
<Snake> yeah.

WTF? :lol :lol :lol I can't help but laugh. It pretty much ripped all of the suspense out of the final stage because let's be honest, none of them were closer to death than Raiden was previously. I mean, two arms down and Raiden was *still* in better shape, throwing down lightning. Meryl meanwhile has mr. profuse bladder and his 50 caliber 100% accuracy gun. Pirates 3 indeed.

Still an awesome game, of course.

Diablos

Ok one more thing, can someone explain how
Meryl and co. didn't go crazy like all the other soldiers did when the Patriots' AI got pwned? I know it has to do with Big Boss' code but it's not really clear. Y2Kev will kill me when he sees this post.

Yes, I know she went crazy, but not permanently. Whereas a lot of the soldiers Ocelot pulled the plug on lost their minds. I don't get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom