• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

tha_con

Banned
AzerPhire said:
This coming from the guy that has to justify every fault within the game.

Or coming from a guy who thinks it's ridiculous to say it is or is not possible just based on what you see visually.

I'm not nearly qualified enough to say it is or is not possible, nor do I think anyone here is. I think a similar experience can certainly be achieved, but I don't think it would come easily.

Solo - Honestly, you're not worth replying to at this point, as you've only been in this thread to talk about the 'negatives' about MGS. BUT, just for you, I'll go back and quote a lot of Andrewfee's post and show you why it's so off base.

Torquill

jjasper said:
Well to be fair I see product placement that the 360 would probably reject (it probably just pixelate it)

Ideally, they kept of list of all PS3 specific elements. You'd have to change those along with any number of other things you change during any sort of port. For example, all the triangle art ;).

EekTheKat

AzerPhire said:
I think he is dead on about a few things.

For one there is way too much explanation of certain items. Having
Raiden explain for several minutes to Snake what 'Awareness' was seemed like a joke. I mean Snake is a combat vet, he should already know what it is.

A lot of the directions Otacon (and others
Raiden
) gives to Snake over the codec are actually for the benefit of the "new" player or someone who's fresh to the series.

It's another way of making the series a lot more approachable from the casual perspective.

Besides, I'm pretty sure most of the Metal Gear Solid vets tuned out most of the codec conversations and quickly just figured everything out through experimenting anyway.

Solo

tha_con said:
Solo - Honestly, you're not worth replying to at this point, as you've only been in this thread to talk about the 'negatives' about MGS. BUT, just for you, I'll go back and quote a lot of Andrewfee's post and show you why it's so off base.

Are you calling me a troll? Newsflash - MGS is my favorite gaming franchise. But just because its my favorite doesn't mean I am going to gloss over the faults the games have, and MGS4 has a lot of faults. It also does a lot of things really good.

Raising valid complaints doesn't make you a hater, nor does being a fan require that you worship each and every thing about the game.

Having not played MGS2 and MGS3 since they were released or really remembering a lot of the story, I was a little confused at the ending and I was hoping someone could briefly answer a few questions.

Is it ever implied in previous games that there is bad blood between Zero and Big Boss? I was trying to figure out who exactly Zero was at the time and I only remember him playing a substitute role for Campbell in Snake Eater.

I think I missed the part about the la le lu li lo (can't remember the correct phrase :p), what does it mean and when was it explained in MGS4?

I'm not 100% sure on the patriots, Zero started it with Para-Medic, Sigint and a few others. Were these characters in MGS3 that I've forgot? And the whole thing about them being dead 100 years in one of the previous games, is it all bullshit at the time?

I'd appreciate it if someone can help me remember / clear up the story a little. It sucks because I love the story but because of the nature of the releases of games and the fact that the story is so crazy I'm having trouble getting my head around it and trying to remember everything.

MGS is probably my favorite series of game ever, but I guess it doesn't really sold like it with these questions. If no one can be bothered answering the questions, then is there a link anywhere that can help explain everything?

Also, why can't I keep my iPod songs? I wanted to listen to Snake Eater while playing MGS4 :'(

Dragon

Banned
meddow said:
erm yes it could.

Theres nothing i have seen so far that the 360 could not achieve

The last cutscenes of the game really make me think otherwise, along with the
motorcycle chase

After watching the BluRay making of documentary, I really want to play a Japanese version of the game so I can check out the lip-syncing and hear the Kojima-directed dialogue.

Any Japanese gaffers out there know how to get a cheap Regular edition copy? eBay only has the SEs from what I found and they all run about $100 with shipping.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to trade and work out a deal too. Please PM me if you can help.

Also: I have other Japanese PS3 games that work on my US PS3, but Sony didn't screw importers by region-locking MGS4 did they? I can't imagine they did...

jjasper

Paranoid_Robot said:
Having not played MGS2 and MGS3 since they were released or really remembering a lot of the story, I was a little confused at the ending and I was hoping someone could briefly answer a few questions.

Is it ever implied in previous games that there is bad blood between Zero and Big Boss? I was trying to figure out who exactly Zero was at the time and I only remember him playing a substitute role for Campbell in Snake Eater.

I think I missed the part about the la le lu li lo (can't remember the correct phrase :p), what does it mean and when was it explained in MGS4?

I'm not 100% sure on the patriots, Zero started it with Para-Medic, Sigint and a few others. Were these characters in MGS3 that I've forgot? And the whole thing about them being dead 100 years in one of the previous games, is it all bullshit at the time?

I'd appreciate it if someone can help me remember / clear up the story a little. It sucks because I love the story but because of the nature of the releases of games and the fact that the story is so crazy I'm having trouble getting my head around it and trying to remember everything.

MGS is probably my favorite series of game ever, but I guess it doesn't really sold like it with these questions. If no one can be bothered answering the questions, then is there a link anywhere that can help explain everything?

Also, why can't I keep my iPod songs? I wanted to listen to Snake Eater while playing MGS4 :'(

1)
not in any of the games it happens between PO and MG1 (as far as I know)
2)
it means the Patriots. The nanomachines in people's body alter the word when it is spoken and it comes out as that
3)
They are your support from MGS3 and are in PO as well. I am assuming the thing about them being over 100years old and dead is to protect their identity and protect JD

Guled

AzerPhire said:
Another that bugs me about the bosses:

They are clearly named after the bosses in the previous games yet only Mantis shares a connection. All the others have some ridiculous back story just to jutsify the name similarity.

There should have been either a stronger connection to the previous bosses or none at all.
Its Liquid's group. Liquid was the leader of foxhound when raven and wolf and them were there, so he got the names from his last unit.

domlolz

Banned
Act 2-There are lots of little easter eggs,
the UFO landing site and then the voiceclip from Campbell from when Arsenal was going insane in MGS2

image:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/domlolz/SOUTHAMERICAMOUNTAINTRAIL.jpg

That board with signatures and handprints from Kojima and co. which makes a chic octocamo pattern

and this weird scribble
on one of the rocks just after you go over the bridge while tracking Naomi:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/domlolz/SOUTHAMERICAMOUNTAINTRAIL_6.jpg

Anyone been able to read what it says properly?Put on your nightvision to help.Maybe it's meant to be Naomi helping?

It reads southe(e,a or u) then 29-W551(7 or 9)

Any idea on what it's meant to mean?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Paranoid_Robot said:

uh? You can. I have all the songs found during my 2 playthroughs.

FabCam

meddow said:
erm yes it could.

Theres nothing i have seen so far that the 360 could not achieve

I don't know about that. I saying that Gears is the biggest game on 360 in relation to GB's on a disc. That has very linear levels. Plus I would say MGS4 is more visually stunning. Plus there's all the 5.1 HD audio. Then there are all the cut scenes. Plus the areas are very open and free roaming. If it is able to run on 360 it would take multiple discs by which I mean over 4 seeing as the it's a dual layered BRD.

Ten again I am just speculating, I may be totally wrong but by looking to the 360's current games you can make an educated guess.

Tom Penny

The only flaw I really found in the game was the overall balance of set piece gameplay to more "open" world environments. It needed more of the latter.

Agent Ironside said:
"Does the game even look like it's possible to port over to the 360? (not trying to troll, I just want to know how awesome it is)"

Aisde from disc space, definitely yes, I see nothing that the 360 could not pull off, I mean lets be realistic here. With that said, it looks very, very good.

I would really like to see an exclusive 360 game match or exceed MGS4's overall GFX fidelity

TTP said:
uh? You can. I have all the songs found during my 2 playthroughs.

I thought at the end of the game it said something like you get all your shit back when you meet up with Mk. II except for iPod songs? So there IS a way?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheBranca18 said:
The last cutscenes of the game really make me think otherwise, along with the
motorcycle chase

The motorcycle scene
wasn't that impressive graphically. It was just the epic camera angles and motion blur that made it impressive. The textures on the buildings and the town in general were all very basic and there were only the frogs, gekkos and flying beasts as enemies. Besides, the whole thing was split up into multiple sections with loading times in between. I didn't see anything there that looked like it couldn't be done elsewhere.

Seriously, anyone saying that the game couldn't be done on the 360 is just kidding themselves. If they wanted to put the game on the 360 they could without too many problems. Sure some things would have to be downgraded perhaps, and some things might even be upgraded, but overall it could be the same game. I still doubt the 360 will see the game any time soon, if ever, but that isn't because of technical reasons.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You have your iPod at the start of the game, though. I think that's what it means.

My no kill no alert run is going swimmingly.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
NME said:
So, I really loved the game. I actually enjoyed it more and more as it progressed, and not strictly from a story standpoint, but I thought the gameplay became more compelling. I am very much looking forward to playing back through the game and really working on fine tuning how I play.

I'm curious though. My biggest problem with this game is the way loading is handled. It seems to me that with the game requiring five separate installs, loading time should be non-existent, at least ideally. I'm willing to accept loading times, especially with as much content as was seemingly crammed onto the Blu Ray disc. However, I thought the loading screens, their presentation and the fact that you had to press start to progress to the next scene, was a pretty big step backward in terms of presentation for the series.

I'm not sure what the problem was with the standard loading screen; the black screen with the name of the area you're entering displayed while it loaded, which automatically went away once the area had loaded. It felt more streamlined to me in each of the other games (excluding PO), whereas I felt the loading screens were designed to make it very clear that you were, in fact, playing a video game. That, of course, felt like it was flying in the face of every other element of the game's presentation, which bothered me even more.

I'm certain I'm making this sound like a bigger deal that I really think it is, but I think that speaks to how great I feel the game is otherwise. This one minor thing stood out so much to me because, as far as I'm concerned, there wasn't much else to find fault with. I was pleased that as the game progressed I became more forgiving towards the loading screens, but I'm wondering if anyone else even cared about them, or if I'm just a dope.
Yes, this drove me crazy. I have no clue why they included "press start" on all of those loading screens. Even during the motorcycle chase, they use that damn press start thing. The old method was vastly superior and would have worked well here as the loading was faster than MGS3.

Occasionally they will not hit you with "press start" or even a load screen at all. When you first start in the middle east, the transition between the first major area and the area with the statue has a beautiful transition (just a fade to black with a cool sound). They do this in a number of other areas as well. There are also times when you get the actual loading screen without a press start prompt. During the vehicle segment at the end of act 2, for instance, there are no prompts to press start. That was great.

Speaking of those segments, they should have created new maps specifically for the vehicles that were larger but less detailed. Loading points during a vehicle sequence just don't work (with Half-Life 2 remaining one of the worst offenders ever in this regard).

On the whole, I suppose the loading isn't bad, but the transitions just weren't handled as well as I would have expected. At least there is no loading upon death (unlike every UE3 game).

It's a shame they didn't take a lesson from Naughty Dog or something. Uncharted had just as many dramatic scenery changes yet it never ever resorted to a load screen. It didn't even require an installation AND it used significantly more detailed textures throughout. I know the cutscenes were videos in Uncharted, of course, while MGS4 is almost entirely realtime, but that shouldn't have made a huge difference.

At least most of the maps are larger than anything else in the series. Each area in act 2, for instance, would have been represented by like 2 or 3 individual maps in Snake Eater, for instance, while the areas in MGS1 and 2 were basically just smaller rooms or connectors.

It was just the epic camera angles and motion blur that made it impressive. The textures on the buildings and the town in general were all very basic
I actually thought the textures were pretty nice in the town. They didn't hold up as well at close range, but they looked excellent during most of the gameplay. They simply avoided the use of detail texture layers like many other games. Gears of War, for instance, has a lot of low-res surface textures hidden amongst the higher res textures but they use a noise texture in order to make them seem gritty and more detailed.

Torquill

Paranoid_Robot said:

There was no suggestion of bad blood before this. It didn't begin until after portable ops. La Li Lu Le Lo is a phrase that appeared in MGS2 and MGS3 it's a placeholder for The Patriots. It's suggested in MGS4 that Patriot nanomachines can prevent a person from saying Patriots, having it come out as lalilulelo. This is rather silly imho since you're going to draw way more attention with a crazy phrase like that :p.

Yes, Para-Medic and Sigint were characters in MGS3, they were part of your support team. Para-medic was medical and Sigint was tech. Sigint was also the DARPA chief from MGS1.

The list found at the end of MGS2 was probably a list of the founding members of the philosophers.

It's a shame they didn't take a lesson from Naughty Dog or something. Uncharted had just as many dramatic scenery changes yet it never ever resorted to a load screen. It didn't even require an installation AND it used significantly more detailed textures throughout. I know the cutscenes were videos in Uncharted, of course, while MGS4 is almost entirely realtime, but that shouldn't have made a huge difference.
Without knowing exactly what's going on under the hood it's impossible to know if a no-loading screen concept is possible in the game. MGS4 clearly does VERY different things and I certainly know enough to know no one can say without knowing details about their tech.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
I actually thought the textures were pretty nice in the town. They didn't hold up as well at close range, but they looked excellent during most of the gameplay. They simply avoided the use of detail texture layers like many other games. Gears of War, for instance, has a lot of low-res surface textures hidden amongst the higher res textures but they use a noise texture in order to make them seem gritty and more detailed.

It worked extremely well, and they didn't look bad at all, but they just weren't detailed like many other games. The way the game is presented is what makes it look so amazing.

Solo said:
Raising valid complaints doesn't make you a hater, nor does being a fan require that you worship each and every thing about the game.

Valid complaints like too interactive Briefings, the Tekken comment or the straight out lies about the framerate? Please. Way too obvious. Of course there are faults. Like with every game. But just making things up is not a very constructive way of discussion this or any game.

NME

Well, I can always hold out hope that the loading screens will be modified for the inevitable MGS4: Subwhatever remake.

Aeon712

Finally was able to play the game for 2 and a 1/2 hrs :D. This is my first metal gear game whats with pressing the X and L1 buttons during some cutscenes to turn the screen gray for a second?

Orlics

dermannmitdemcolt said:
Valid complaints like too interactive Briefings, the Tekken comment or the straightout lies about the framerate? Please. Way too obvious. Of course there are faults. Like with every game. But just making things up is not a very constructive way of discussion this or any game.

I think his complaint about the briefings was that the game actually provided you an INCENTIVE to using the MK II (face camo, items), which made you focus less on the mission briefings themselves (which are probably the worst edited cutscenes in the game).

The fighting scene isn't exactly universally praised. I personally loved it, but he didn't. End of story, his opinion.

The framerate DOES drop below 30 fps at certain points. Maybe not for the majority of the game, but it often happens during explosions and other graphically-intensive scenes. If you can't see this, you're framerate-blind.

Thanks Torquill and jjasper :) That clears things up a bit.

So at what point in the game was la li lu le lo explained, I think I missed it o_O

I meant that when I go to do a second play through, I can't keep the ipod songs I already unlocked in my first play through. Why? I thought part of the fun was trying to unlock everything, but if I unlock it all and then it's taken away from me that sucks, especially if it's the snake eater song :p

jjasper

Aeon712 said:
Finally was able to play the game for 2 and a 1/2 hrs :D. This is my first metal gear game whats with pressing the X and L1 buttons during some cutscenes to turn the screen gray for a second?

L1 changes your view (usually to Snake's) X brings up the flashbacks.

inner-G

Banned
Aeon712 said:
L1 shows you Snakes p.o.v.

Mashing X shows you 'flashbacks' which earn you bonus Drebin Points.

+beaten+

Orlics

Paranoid_Robot said:
Thanks Torquill and jjasper :) That clears things up a bit.

So at what point in the game was la li lu le lo explained, I think I missed it o_O

I meant that when I go to do a second play through, I can't keep the ipod songs I already unlocked in my first play through. Why? I thought part of the fun was trying to unlock everything, but if I unlock it all and then it's taken away from me that sucks, especially if it's the snake eater song :p

Drebin mentions at one point that he has no "voice regulating nanomachines" or something, when he says 'The Patriots.'

Heres a question in regards to the bosses :

So each boss is obviously a reference to the bosses from the first. (Wolf, Mantis, Raven) but what the hell is Octopus mimicking? Or am I just not getting it?

Orlics

slasher_thrasher21 said:

So each boss is obviously a reference to the bosses from the first. (Wolf, Mantis, Raven) but what the hell is Octopus mimicking? Or am I just not getting it?

Decoy Octopus, the member of Foxhound who can make himself look and sound like any person. In MGS1,
he impersonates the DARPA Chief and dies of Foxdie soon after talking to Snake.

inner-G

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:

decoy octopus
Damn beaten again

this thread goes fast! :lol

Torquill

slasher_thrasher21 said:

Decoy Octopus. You never actual fight him in MGS1.

The biggest complaint I have is Act 5. It's the same problem I had with MGS2... you get to some awesome, mysterious place and you don't even get to explore it. It's over in a few screens. I was incredibly disappointed, even though what little gameplay there was in that act was awesome, and the cutscenes phenomenal.

Orlics

One thing I would have changed about this game was Ocelot's voice. Since he's Liquid Ocelot now, and in MGS2 Liquid Ocelot had Liquid's voice (Cam Clarke), they should have used Cam Clarke the whole way through. Or if that's too unrealistic, at least have Ocelot try to mimic Liquid's accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom