• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

Really I don't know WTF people are doing in the official thread 5 days after the game comes out and complaining about spoilers... People have already beat the game multiple times and want to talk about it. If you haven't, GTFO. Not to mention
REX
was spoiled already in a trailer! :lol

Soroc

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Anyone know what Kojima:
voice of God
is in the credits?

Good Question!! I forgot about this last night when I saw it. Can anyone answer this? I was confused when I saw it myself :lol :lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I heard somewhere that if you just kill a bunch of people on one act, or a specific act of violence, you can hear a voice saying "You kill because you enjoy it."

Though, I'm not even sure where or when I read that...

newsguy

Flo_Evans said:
Really I don't know WTF people are doing in the official thread 5 days after the game comes out and complaining about spoilers... People have already beat the game multiple times and want to talk about it. If you haven't, GTFO. Not to mention
REX
was spoiled already in a trailer! :lol

So the 4 and 5 inch blocks of black are there for decoration? If everyone else tags their stuff there's no reason why one person shouldn't. Just because some people have the god damn time to play through the game multiple times doesn't mean others do. Or do we make yet another official thread and title it "MGS4 for the people who have a motherfucking job." With that said I can't wait to see act 4 now.

Maggot9

Banned
Lonestar said:
I heard somewhere that if you just kill a bunch of people on one act, or a specific act of violence, you can hear a voice saying "You kill because you enjoy it."

Though, I'm not even sure where or when I read that...
I heard it quite a bit during Act 1 on my first play through.

tha_con

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Anyone know what Kojima:
voice of God
is in the credits?

I think if
you kill a lot of people (a LOT) he is supposed to say "It's because you like killing" or something like that, and Snake throws up. I cannot confirm though, Never done it, lol.

Edit: Apparently this isn't true. I've been had by someone in this thread :lol

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Crazymoogle said:
they work for me...

abraham, george, etc. Only the first name in lower case works.

they work, you just have to press back as it says the pass is incorrect. that's where I got tripped up.

Gorechylde said:
When you enter the final area and the informant goes into that little courtyard and turns into the soldier, I knocked him out thinking it was just another soldier. I must have spent a good 45 minutes running around that little area looking for the informant before I realised the 1st guy I knocked out didn't have a gun on him...little things.

...but the payoff was well worth it.

LOL I did the exact same thing!!

Slurmer

Banned
newsguy said:
So the 4 and 5 inch blocks of black are there for decoration? If everyone else tags their stuff there's no reason why one person shouldn't. Just because some people have the god damn time to play through the game multiple times doesn't mean others do. Or do we make yet another official thread and title it "MGS4 for the people who have a motherfucking job."

Amen

Flo_Evans

newsguy said:
So the 4 and 5 inch blocks of black are there for decoration? If everyone else tags their stuff there's no reason why one person shouldn't. Just because some people have the god damn time to play through the game multiple times doesn't mean others do. Or do we make yet another official thread and title it "MGS4 for the people who have a motherfucking job." With that said I can't wait to see act 4 now.

Hey I have a job, I just took off for MGS4 :p

Just saying, the fact that
rex and ray
are in the game is not that big of a spoiler, it was in a trailer. If you went so far as to not watch any trailers to not spoil anything why are you reading this thread?

I try and tag all my stuff but geez. :lol

Raist

Banned
Just finished Act III

HOLY SHIT

BANG !

I felt sorry for Snake. Being owned like this by Liquid (or should I say Ocelot ?)

mileS

quick question for the people that have finished the game with no alerts/kills. What difficulty did you finish with? I'm thinking of playing it on Naked Normal on my continued save just so I can blast through the game quickly so I can get the
bandana and stealth camo

If I beat the game on Solid Normal can I pick Naked Normal for my next playthrough and still get the extras? sorry if this has been asked already.

This iPod thing is confusing. For whatever reason it says that the songs you have collected will not carry through to the next playthrough, yet some people here are saying they have the songs they collected for e.g. Snake Eater.

Jtrizzy

Jtrizzy said:
Can anyone help me? I've finished the game twice now, but I'm trying to copy a save data to my ps3 that has the stealth camo.

I got the first North American Save from Gamefaqs, I have my directory on the usb stick

as PS3>SAVEDATA>BLUS30109G48549867>then the four files.

when I put it in the ps3 is says there is no save data on the stick...

Sorry to quote myself here, but I really want to try out the stealth camo.

Don't you have to beat the game with out having any caution phases to get it? That just seems too hard for me.

Mifune

Mehmber
Flo_Evans said:

rex and ray
are in the game is not that big of a spoiler, it was in a trailer. If you went so far as to not watch any trailers to not spoil anything why are you reading this thread?

Some of us are responsible adults who don't take off work to play a fucking video game.

5 days after release? SPOIL AWAY!!

Give me a break.

newsguy

Flo_Evans said:

rex and ray

Well, my posts were a bit in jest since I had seen that trailer. The specific stage I didn't know though. Oh well, by the time I beat this thing I will have read the ending to resistance 2 GOW 2 and whatever else is out while I'm playing through this. I only just finished act 2, game is the tits.

tha_con said:
I think if
you kill a lot of people (a LOT) he is supposed to say "It's because you like killing" or something like that, and Snake throws up. I cannot confirm though, Never done it, lol.

No thats done by
Cam Clarke
a bit dick, that he didn't get a credit at the end since his voice in archive form a decent amount.

Jtrizzy said:
Sorry to quote myself here, but I really want to try out the stealth camo.

Try deleting the savedata folder then copy a save back to the memory stick from the PS3 so the PS3 creates the folder structure itself. Then copy the save folder to it

Quick question about Johnny:
How was he able to use any guns when he didn't have nanomachines in him?

tha_con said:
I think if

You enjoy all the killing, that's why!
Classic line. :D

Playing through for my second time, almost finished with Act 2. Love this game so much. These days I rarely have the time, or the dedication to play through a single-player game multiple times, but I'm definitely going to play through MGS4 a ton of times. And anyway
isn't there some way to get Colonel to talk about his alien experience again in MGS4 or something? Someone let me in on how to do it!

Going all soldier like this time through...Basically hiding and sniping every single enemy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Lifeonmars? said:
Quick question about Johnny:
How was he able to use any guns when he didn't have nanomachines in him?

You enjoy all the killing, that's why!
Classic line. :D

Do we ever see
him actually firing one until Act 3 when SOP is shut off? In Act 1, whenever he goes to shoot, his stomach incapacitates him.

ToyMachine228 said:
Playing through for my second time, almost finished with Act 2. Love this game so much. These days I rarely have the time, or the dedication to play through a single-player game multiple times, but I'm definitely going to play through MGS4 a ton of times. And anyway
isn't there some way to get Colonel to talk about his alien experience again in MGS4 or something? Someone let me in on how to do it!

Going all soldier like this time through...Basically hiding and sniping every single enemy.
When you're chasing after Naomi you can find a small crop circle. That's where the colonel talk comes.

Torquill

My biggest problem with the name. No new fucking Metal Gear. COME ON!!!!! We could have had an orbital satellite Metal Gear. That would have been fucking boss! JD could have been like the ultimate Metal Gear :(.

Y2Kev said:
Do we ever see
him actually firing one until Act 3 when SOP is shut off? In Act 1, whenever he goes to shoot, his stomach incapacitates him.
Mmm, that's what I thought last night when I was replaying act 1, but isn't it safe to assume that he had to shoot a gun at least once before the events in MGS4? Unless he reall was that pathetic. :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Lifeonmars? said:
Mmm, that's what I thought last night when I was replaying act 1, but isn't it safe to assume that he had to shoot a gun at least once before the events in MGS4? Unless he reall was that pathetic. :(
In MGS1, he gets owned by Meryl, so we never see it either.

Jtrizzy

fistfulofmetal said:
Try deleting the savedata folder then copy a save back to the memory stick from the PS3 so the PS3 creates the folder structure itself. Then copy the save folder to it

Thank you sir, you rock. Going to try out the stealth camo now!

Y2Kev said:
In MGS1, he gets owned by Meryl, so we never see it either.
But that's, what, nearly a 10 year difference?
If he really didn't fire a gun for that long, I'm amazed by his skills in act 5. Snake hairdo helps I guess. :lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Here's an interesting bit I saw in Act 4. In sections of
the warhead room and beyond all the way to right before Rex, you can see 2 sets of footprints with NV on. One is the high heels of Naomi, the other a regular boot (duh, Vamp). Even little irregularities, like Naomi starting off like she's going to walk in the snow (through the field with the Comm Towers) but heads back towards Vamps footprints as he (and she) jump over that high fence you can't get past. Also in the blast furnace, it looks like she goes to the door down to the Vulcan Raven room, and Vamp opens the door (and probably locks it at the same time, forcing you to go through the other area, i.e. Trap for you).

Banned
tha_con said:
The soft look is far more natural and works to compliment MGS4.
As I said, I expect a lot of people prefer that look. I don't. If you want a soft image, you can get that with any game on any TV without any trouble. You can't make an inherently soft game sharp though.

tha_con said:
How can you have too much dynamic audio range? For someone asking for realism and 'the next step' that sure seems like a ridiculous statement ot make.
You can have too much in the way that I just mentioned — having the volume set to the proper level to hear the quiet sounds resulted in the loud parts being too loud in my opinion. Lots of people like to have things cranked up too loud anyway, so it won't have been a problem for them. It's just preference.

tha_con said:
Unplayable, to me, is defined as game breaking. When did the frame rate prevent you from doing anything in the game, thus, making it unplayable? Please, I would love to know.
I couldn't aim properly as a result of the constantly jumping framerate in a few sections of Act 2, resulting in me getting shot.
The section where the rebels are trying to blow up the power station (I think that's what it was?) nearly got me killed a couple of times as there are guys on machineguns and lots of respawning enemies. As I had just helped kill the PMCs earlier, I didn't know that this was one of the bits where they just keep respawning until you move forward.

tha_con said:
MGS2 also had about 3 characters with running AI at any given time, and MGS4 gets as high as 10 at times, with dust, debri, falling buildings, etc. The amount of data being rendered and processed in MGS4 is significantly higher than MGS2, and far more 'wow' worthy than something as ridiculous as a frame rate.
What impressed me about MGS2 was how good it looked at the time and how smooth it was while looking that good. I don't care how good something looks if it isn't running well, that just doesn't impress me. That doesn't mean it doesn't look good, it just means that I don't find it impressive.

tha_con said:
So you're upset because you think they made a joke about the 360?
It's a jab at MGS1 and Shadow Moses (since that's roughly where you change discs).
Get real, stop making joke points, because you certainly cannot be serious with this shit.
I'm annoyed because I've gone through 9/10 installs now when one bigger install at the start would have been sufficient.
I am aware that it is where you have to insert disc 2 in MGS1—I just played through it a month or two ago when the essential collection came out.
I don't recall mentioning the 360 at all in my post.
I just thought it was ironic that they made a joke about not having to change discs when the installs are longer than the time it takes to change a disc, and are more frequent than a two-disc game would be.

tha_con said:
The gameplay mechanics HAVE changed. You never had the amount of options in MGS1 through 3 to approach different levels as you do now. The gameplay has evolved with Octocam, weapons, stealth mechanics, the evolving radar system, and significantly advanced AI routines.
No, you didn't have Octocamo — but it's just a streamlined version of the MGS3 camo system.
As is the radar system, the aiming and so on. It's just streamlined versions of what we've had before. It doesn't really change how the game plays, it just makes it easier to play it all stealth, all action etc. It still plays like the other MGS games, it's just easier to do what you want to do now without pressing five buttons at once. That's not a bad thing, but it's not revolutionary either.

tha_con said:
What the hell is this shit? Realism, authenticity, get some. You adjust your zoom on your scope when you USE YOUR SCOPE. When you get ready to fire is when it get's in over the shoulder view, and you can change. What the hell is your problem with this? Seriously?
I had the game set to remember whether I was in first or third person as it was annoying having to tap triangle almost every time I hit L1. If I had been zoomed in on a target before, I had to zoom out, hope my target hadn't moved, find them if they had, and take aim. If I could have set it to only go to 3x instead of 10x all the time it would have been a lot easier.

tha_con said:
You do play how you want. You either play stealth, avoiding contact with everyone, or you help out the militia. Or you can just take out everyone on both sides. If you don't help out the militia, of course they'll think you're an enemy. BUT, if you don't do anything to encourage them to shoot you, they'll be harmless. If they see you, they'll say don't move, and then inspect you, and let you move on after a few moments
Didn't happen to me — when I wasn't fighting with them they never told me not to move, they just shot on sight. Seeing as you have to go through the militia base, and the game has sections near the start where they're getting shot in cold blood begging for their lives, it encourages you to help them.

tha_con said:
Isn't this why there is a giant freaking red dot on your radar and map, so you know WHERE you need to go, not just sit back and kill enemies? Your mission, after all, is to progress to a certain objective.
Ok, but it is never an objective to help the militia. You can help out the militia in places, and yet in others—often right after scenes where you've helped them out—you can't do a thing but kill an infinite number of PMC troops or run past. There's no indication of whether or not you're helping or it's an exercise in futility — you only find that out after a couple of minutes of shooting when you realise that it's not going to stop, or when another helicopter spawns in overhead etc.

tha_con said:
I can agree with this, the section was too long, but not 'absolutely terrible'. Fact is, there was too much following, not enough action, and it showed.
I would have preferred a 10 second cutscene showing snake finding his way into the church than playing through that section of the game. If it had been cut entirely, the game would have been better for it. In my opinion, that makes it ‘absolutely terrible.’

tha_con said:
As opposed to what? A guy in a green space suit ripping through hordes of aliens to save earth? A bunch of giant guys sawing people in half with chainsaws? A spartan ripping through hordes of people and greek gods? Or maybe the shit storm that was the terrible story of GTA IV, where character development is all but abandoned after the first island and you're left with heavy amounts of cursing and prostitute killing. Get real.

And with this, you lose all credibility, as the rest of your post is just a rant as to how stupid we all are, and how we can't see the light like you. Ridiculous. And you wonder why no one on this forum takes you seriously.
Ok, so we clearly have different opinions on this matter. With many people saying that this was the way forward in storytelling for videogames, and one of the most mature stories in gaming, I was surprised to see that it probably has the most lowbrow humour out of all the MGS games, from what I can remember. I know that it was in there in previous games, but with all the talk about how ‘mature’ MGS4 was, I really didn't expect it this time around — it was just painful to watch.

And yes, I do think that they went a bit far with the ‘beauties’ playboys ‘press L1 to see some ass’ and so on, just like I think they went too far with Eva in MGS3.

If I was just posting to troll the game, do you really think I would have bothered to type up a 2000 word post? Really?

tha_con

Banned
Torquill said:
My biggest problem with the name. No new fucking Metal Gear. COME ON!!!!! We could have had an orbital satellite Metal Gear. That would have been fucking boss! JD could have been like the ultimate Metal Gear :(.

Gekko, MG MK2, Outer Heaven (which was built using scrapped plans for something like Arsenal Gear...right??

Lifeonmars? said:
But that's, what, nearly a 10 year difference?
If he really didn't fire a gun for that long, I'm amazed by his skills in act 5. Snake hairdo helps I guess. :lol

He might've gone through the gene therapy and all so that might explain his heightened senses and whatnot.

Jeff-DSA

CriscoDisco said:
Dude. You just spoiled that on a whole other page for everyone else. You can spoiler tag a quote, ya know. Christ.

Yeah, because two posts up doesn't do the same thing...

Anyway, I edited my quote out seconds after hitting post. I'm surprised anybody even saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom