• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pojo

Banned
Orlics said:
Drebin mentions at one point that he has no "voice regulating nanomachines" or something, when he says 'The Patriots.'
What I got from that was that "la le lu li lio"
meant, literally, the patriots, only in code. Because obviously they didn't want the Patriots to become known to everyone.

Poor Tom Brady. :(

Pojo said:
meant, literally, the patriots, only in code. Because obviously they didn't want the Patriots to become known to everyone.

People are not allowed to talk about The Patriots.

tha_con

Banned
andrewfee said:
Well, I finished the game last night and here are my thoughts.
███ Firstly, I'll get the ‘tech’ stuff out of the way

What I don't like though, is them continuing what they did on the PS2—having a very soft look for the game overall. (on the PS2 it was the flicker filter, here it's the upscaling) Over the course of the game you get used to it, but I would much rather have had a sharp game than this.

The soft look is far more natural and works to compliment MGS4.
I do feel, however, that there was perhaps a bit too much dynamic range though. By that, I mean that I feel that the volume level required to hear the quiet bits made the loud stuff too loud. I love the lack of audio artefacts for the most part though, they did a fantastic job making use of the Blu-Ray format.

How can you have too much dynamic audio range? For someone asking for realism and 'the next step' that sure seems like a ridiculous statement ot make.

The first half of Act 2 was almost constantly below 30fps for me, bordering on unplayable at times.

Unplayable, to me, is defined as game breaking. When did the frame rate prevent you from doing anything in the game, thus, making it unplayable? Please, I would love to know.

As good as the game looks (which is mostly for artistic reasons rather than tech) I really feel that they should have either cut back, or spent more time optimising the engine to get a smooth framerate. There is none of the ‘wow’ here that you got from playing MGS2 for the first time. Yes, it looks nice, but at the time MGS2 not only blew away the competition in graphics, it was also hitting 60fps most of the time. (in gameplay at least) I really expected more from them.

MGS2 also had about 3 characters with running AI at any given time, and MGS4 gets as high as 10 at times, with dust, debri, falling buildings, etc. The amount of data being rendered and processed in MGS4 is significantly higher than MGS2, and far more 'wow' worthy than something as ridiculous as a frame rate.

I'll spoiler tag this even though it's minor.
I find it incredibly ironic that they make a joke in Act 4 about having to change over to the second disc when there are five installs (six if you count MGO) each of which actually take longer than changing to another disc would. While it is technically on a single disc, it may as well be on five, as you have to install it again for each act you play.
I really don't think they could have got it more wrong. If you are going to have an install at all, install all the data you need at the beginning of the game. The current system is significantly worse than having to sit through a 15-20 minute initial install would have been. And on top of that, it doesn't even seem to help that much. The game is constantly loading whether it's gameplay or cutscenes. There are parts in the game where it ends up hitting a load screen every two or three minutes! I could well be wrong here — I need to go back and check, but I don't remember having loading screens in the middle of MGS3's cutscenes for example, and the regular loads were quicker, and much better hidden than they are here.

So you're upset because you think they made a joke about the 360? It's a jab at MGS1 and Shadow Moses (since that's roughly where you change discs). Get real, stop making joke points, because you certainly cannot be serious with this shit.

Hmm, where to begin? I suppose I should start by saying that I am surprised that people feel the gameplay is revolutionary. It really doesn't feel like it has evolved much at all from previous MGS titles. Yes, the controls may be more intuitive and it's more like a typical third person game now, but the actual gameplay mechanics themselves are largely unchanged.

The gameplay mechanics HAVE changed. You never had the amount of options in MGS1 through 3 to approach different levels as you do now. The gameplay has evolved with Octocam, weapons, stealth mechanics, the evolving radar system, and significantly advanced AI routines.

I've complained about it before, but I find it very annoying that you cannot adjust the zoom on your weapons until you are in the scope view, nor can you adjust whether the camera is going to be on your left/right in third person. I'll have to check it, but I'm not sure if you can switch between first/third person until you're holding L1 either.

What the hell is this shit? Realism, authenticity, get some. You adjust your zoom on your scope when you USE YOUR SCOPE. When you get ready to fire is when it get's in over the shoulder view, and you can change. What the hell is your problem with this? Seriously?

And while I know people have said that the game is supposed to let you play it how you like, I don't get that impression. To me, it feels more like it isn't sure what it wants to be. I'm not really going into specifics here, but I'll tag this just to be safe:
At the beginning of the game, it feels like it is encouraging your to fight alongside the resistance against the PMCs — they'll shoot at you if you don't, and cheer you on when you help out etc.
You do play how you want. You either play stealth, avoiding contact with everyone, or you help out the militia. Or you can just take out everyone on both sides. If you don't help out the militia, of course they'll think you're an enemy. BUT, if you don't do anything to encourage them to shoot you, they'll be harmless. If they see you, they'll say don't move, and then inspect you, and let you move on after a few moments.

Further on, you hit parts which look exactly the same, but they are filled with endlessly respawning PMCs/Militia troops on either side. It may even appear that you're helping at first, but you soon realise that it is pointless, and that for that part of the game you're actually supposed to just sneak/run past it all, ignoring the combat.

Isn't this why there is a giant freaking red dot on your radar and map, so you know WHERE you need to go, not just sit back and kill enemies? Your mission, after all, is to progress to a certain objective.

And then there are some forced stealth sections. The entire first half of Act 3 was an exercise in tedium. It felt incredibly dated from a gameplay perspective — there was no challenge whatsoever on Solid Normal, it was just follow a guy from point A to B for 10-20 minutes, or however long it took. Absolutely terrible. And this is from someone who has gone through MGS2/3 playing them mostly as stealth games.

I can agree with this, the section was too long, but not 'absolutely terrible'. Fact is, there was too much following, not enough action, and it showed.
I think it is absolutely laughable that some people have said that this is the most mature story in a video game. On one hand, yes, it might have people thinking about issues they hadn't before like PMCs, but on the other it is full of low-brow humour such as
Johnny with his diarrhoea, people belching after drinking a soda and so on.
As opposed to what? A guy in a green space suit ripping through hordes of aliens to save earth? A bunch of giant guys sawing people in half with chainsaws? A spartan ripping through hordes of people and greek gods? Or maybe the shit storm that was the terrible story of GTA IV, where character development is all but abandoned after the first island and you're left with heavy amounts of cursing and prostitute killing. Get real.

Other aspects of the game feel like they were put in there for teenage boys, such as
the ridiculous ‘beauty’ characters — not just how they are modelled, but how they act and the camera angles that they use. The inclusion of Playboy magazines that the player can look through, the opportunities to hit L1 and ‘get a better look’ at the female characters in some cutscenes, and the beyond ridiculous ability to shake Rose's breasts by shaking the controller. A quick glance through the screenshots topic shows just how ‘mature’ the Metal Gear audience really is.

And with this, you lose all credibility, as the rest of your post is just a rant as to how stupid we all are, and how we can't see the light like you. Ridiculous. And you wonder why no one on this forum takes you seriously.

Greg

Act 4 fails.

The first 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes were the only fun parts. Cheesiest moments out of the entire game (haven't completely 5 yet, so up to that point), and an all-around disappointment. More time was spent with flashbacks than introducing new concepts or mechanics to make the gameplay itself fun, and it was also the most linear of all the acts so far. Up to this point, I really looked forward to playing through all the sequences a 2nd time.

ragingadamo

Neo Member
Pojo said:

It is not a code but something that you hear when you do not have the proper nanomachines, also I remember reading that they used laleluliliu because it is hard for the Japanese to pronounce (rareruririu). Therefore if you had the correct nanomachines you would hear patriots and if not you would hear laleluliliu

Scarecrow

Quick question: I'm playing on The Boss Extreme difficulty, and I'm noticing I can't buy any tranq. ammo from Drebin's shop. Does it become available later, or will I have to procure on site? If so, Raven's going to suck trying to tranq to death on super hard with no way to buy extra ammo.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
brandonh83 said:
I thought at the end of the game it said something like you get all your shit back when you meet up with Mk. II except for iPod songs? So there IS a way?

Just equip the iPod and u'll see. :)

Pojo

Banned
Tha Con, the game had its fair share of stupid moments. It's not high cinema or anything. It works for a game, though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
but I don't remember having loading screens in the middle of MGS3's cutscenes for example, and the regular loads were quicker, and much better hidden than they are here.
All previous MGS games had small loading pauses on a regular basis during cutscenes.

MGS3's regular loading times were also longer than MGS4 (though they didn't require you to press start, which is insanely annoying).

Orlics

Pojo said:
Tha Con, the game had its fair share of stupid moments. It's not high cinema or anything. It works for a game, though.

As great as MGS4 is, it's still MGS. It has that distinct Kojima-brand humor, dialogue, and style, which many of us grew up and are used to with since MGS has only been the only truly cutscene-intensive series out there.

That said, I can already tell the guy is going to strongly disagree with you.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Scarecrow said:
Quick question: I'm playing on The Boss Extreme difficulty, and I'm noticing I can't buy any tranq. ammo from Drebin's shop. Does it become available later, or will I have to procure on site? If so, Raven's going to suck trying to tranq to death on super hard with no way to buy extra ammo.

no tanqs on Extreme. You should have unlocked the Light Gun (which deals non lethal damage) before attempting BBE. U do that by getting all the B&B dolls plus the Frog one in the garage after u split up from Rat Patrol 01. For the Frog one to appear there you have to tranq the Frogs during the fight before that.

Orlics

TTP said:
no tanqs on Extreme. You should have unlocked the Light Gun (which deals non lethal damage) before attempting BBE. U do that by getting all the B&B dolls plus the Frog one in the garage after u split up from Rat Patrol 01. For the Frog one to appear there you have to tranq the Frogs during the fight before that.

What does the Solar Gun do? Is it more or less effective than the Tranq gun?

Jtrizzy

I can't believe anyone would think parts of Act 2 are "unplayable". That is one of the greatest levels in any video game I've ever played. There are so many different ways to approach it and tons of little easter eggs. I wish there were more levels like Act 2.

Steroyd

Scarecrow said:

That's why it's Big Boss extreme. ;)

I thought "killing" the beast didn't count as a kill because you're not exactly killing her.

tha_con

Banned
Pojo said:

Of course, I would never suggest it is 'high cinema' (though I think that's a joke in itself).

However, I'm not going to pretend it's somehow more ridiculous than a single man rising to the top of the gang/mafia food chain (GTA) or a mortal killing a god (God of War) or even Master Chief flying through the air like a meteor and surviving (and god knows how much other dumb shit he survived).

Point is, it's just something that happens with videogames, the differences is, MGS addressed a lot of issues as a series that most titles never do, or never dare to do, because if they tried, they would probably be failures.

On top of that, trying to say that the MGS story and happenings some how reflect poorly on MGS fans (and then pointing to the MGS Photo thread as 'proof') is fucking retarded, especially when he says 'flipping through the playboy means we're not mature'.

Get real, that entire 'review' by andrewfee was a joke, just like he is.

TTP said:
Just equip the iPod and u'll see. :)

So your saying if I equip my iPod after MKII I will get all my previous songs back? I equipped it at the very beginning of my sec playthrough ond and I don't have any of the ones I unlocked.

Acid08

Banned
omg textures cum on me. Are you guys seriously arguing over fucking textures in the city? Crying about motion blur is stupid, it's in the game for a reason, stop trying to dissect it and say "bububu the textures are basic ;(." Who gives a fuck.

domlolz

Banned
SOUTHAMERICAMOUNTAIN.jpg

Southen 29-W551(4 or 9)

What is the password section on the Extras section for,has anything been found?

domlolz said:
What is the password section on the Extras section for,has anything been found?

According to the guide quite a few items have passwords associated with them, but so far AFAIK the only ones people have found are...

enter the first names of the presidents from the AIs, each one unlocks an MGS4 ipod track.

That rock could have a password on it...seems like a lot of troubleshooting to figure it out though.

domlolz said:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/domlolz/SOUTHAMERICAMOUNTAIN.jpg[IMG]

Southen 29-W551(4 or 9)

What is the password section on the Extras section for,has anything been found?[/QUOTE]
Try using the night vision mode. Maybe it's easier to read with it.

tha_con

Banned
archnemesis said:

Yea, it's waaay easier to read. I didn't notice it on my first play through (did that portion without night vision) but on my second no alert run, I noticed it instantly.

domlolz

Banned
archnemesis said:

I've done that,it's just I couldn't take a picture with the camera equipped at the same time-it's pretty much the same

Crazymoogle said:
According to the guide quite a few items have passwords associated with them, but so far AFAIK the only ones people have found are...

enter the first names of the presidents from the AIs, each one unlocks an MGS4 ipod track.

That rock could have a password on it...seems like a lot of troubleshooting to figure it out though.

Oh...that's something to look into then
It's probably turn out to be some kind of easter egg from Kojima and co.

-Rogue5-

Cartman86 said:
I have a feeling there are quite a few people who are playing MGS4 (critics, people in this thread etc) who have not played an MGS or a lot of it before MGS4. I don't want to tell people what to do, but I personally don't see how anyone can love this game like the rest of us do. Sounds mean I know, but there are so many emotional scenes, inside jokes, and story points from the previous games that makes skipping them (especially 2,3) a little unwise. It's like watching LOTR:Return of the King without seeing the previous 2. You can understand the specticle, the cool looking CGI, and what is happening, but you don't have context or an invested interest. Just don't see the point personally.

I see different people in the industry (on 1up Yours for example) that I think just don't get it. They don't have the history that is the series, so when people like Shane come in and rave about the game they don't understand why. They are like "These aiming controls aren't as good as CODIV, these cutscenes could be shorter, this could be this could be this etc."

Now of course there are people who can play MGS4 and love it without playing the previous ones (I have a friend who just did). It's possible, but in my eyes it just seems better to play the previous games to ensure that you get the best experience possible (or watch every cutscene I guess).

I just told my buddy not to bother playing MGS4 until he bought/completed at least MGS Essentials. Also made a note of it in the gaming-age review.

Flo_Evans

So did anyone figure out what the rock means? I just thought it was the location of the "roswell" area or something. Seems like map coordinates? Maybe its the location of the handprints?

Torquill

I think they should have had a bonus point for every crazy colonel codec there was. Just like the UFO spot in South America, but for all of them. I would have shit myself if I ran around a corner to a pile of 61 scissors. Or found a cute little north american fall webworm :)

domlolz

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
So did anyone figure out what the rock means? I just thought it was the location of the "roswell" area or something.

Should of checked to see if anyone else had investigated into it

By that do you mean the landing site in the long grass in Area 2 where the MGS2 soundclip plays?

Euphor!a

Banned
This has probably been answered a dozen or so times now but how do you get the dolls for Raven, Octopus and Mantis? I tranq killed all the Frogs and got that statue and tranq killed Wolf and got the statue but when I tranq killed the others I couldn't find the statue anywhere.

dominuece

Today is one of the greatest days of my life! I got a PS3, MGS4 (of course), Lollapalooza tickets (Radiohead!!!), and the day off! I will cherish this. Can't wait to dive into Kojima's mind with his epic "finale..."

Soroc

revolverjgw said:
The biggest complaint I have is Act 5. It's the same problem I had with MGS2... you get to some awesome, mysterious place and you don't even get to explore it. It's over in a few screens. I was incredibly disappointed, even though what little gameplay there was in that act was awesome, and the cutscenes phenomenal.

I feel the same way... Everything was so fucking amazing until this act. I mean it definitely went out with a bang as far as the cinematics and the OMGZ moments but the gameplay was severly lacking in the last chapter. I mean I think I was playing it and then came to a point where I was like, I think I can put down the controller there is no more gameplay :-/ and that moment came way to fast in Act 5 :(

Flo_Evans

domlolz said:
Should of checked to see if anyone else had investigated into it

By that do you mean the landing site in the long grass in Area 2 where the MGS2 soundclip plays?

Yeah, but its too many number for lat/longitude and I don't think it even shows a grid or anything on the map screen. It could just be nothing but I bet there is somewhere to enter it in. Maybe when you are typing in the security code on
shadow moses

Euphor!a said:
This has probably been answered a dozen or so times now but how do you get the dolls for Raven, Octopus and Mantis? I tranq killed all the Frogs and got that statue and tranq killed Wolf and got the statue but when I tranq killed the others I couldn't find the statue anywhere.

Octopus - On one of the beds durring her beauty form

Raven - On the top level of the tower durring her beauty scene

Mantis - In one of the doorways durring her beauty scene

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
WHAT THE HELLLLLLLLL UGHHHH

I had 1 alert phase and I don't know where it was. Well, I think I do. I got a ! but the alert never triggered. :(((((

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom