• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Returners said:
at the top, only after defeating her though
(in her beauty mode)

I know that just done her beast with tranqs.

Did NOT like how she ran up the first set of stairs. :(

These beauties freak me out.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Finally, exams have finished :D

I've just been playing through act 2. Very good so far, it feels a lot like MGS3, only better.

Thee's one bit that really annoyed me though and its about helping the rebels? Is there a certain mission that you have to do with each one?
I helped them blow up the poer station, but I didnt know what I had to do after that. I kept shooting the choopers down and all the PMC soldiers, but they just kept coming back. What was I meant to do to get rid of the PMCs?

tha_con

Banned
andrewfee said:
If I was just posting to troll the game, do you really think I would have bothered to type up a 2000 word post? Really?

Given your past history with games like Uncharted, yes, I think you would make a 2000 word post just to come in and troll the game and say we're crazy for thinking it's the best game we've played, and that we're all immature for enjoying the story and humor.

Absolutely.

Facism

tribal24 said:
and i just ended the game /bow kojima thanks for the wonderful game. also its gonna be sad to see the series go; ;

i don't think the series is going anywhere ;) there are some major gaps in the backstory that need filling in, if you catch my drift.

NME

Team Klimt said:
What's the big deal? It's like saying ACT 3!! Snake!!

It was in the trailer, and he doesn't spoil and story or gameplay. Geez.

I don't think the "IT WAS IN THE TRAILER!" argument holds up. It seems to me that there was an MGS2 trailer once upon a time that showed Snake in playable circumstances in Big Shell.

Gowans

Clocked it!

So in the end I really enjoyed this game, memorable and a very different experience from all the other games out there.

The story is up there with a great action movie (nothing to deep and some far too cheesy moments) but the cinematography (camera work) and direction of the cut scenes and set pieces were excellent. I still cant get over the character models and atmosphere on the game at times.

In all the actually game play parts were ok, it mixed it up enough through the game along with allowing you to attack it how you wanted to to make it enough fun for me tho each part I found pretty shallow with what I was doing. I never really got that just instant fun feeling
apart from the motorbike set piece which was my favourite part of the game and really made my jaw drop
or had any moments where I was forced to work out a plan and get to feel rewarded.

The boss fights tho pretty and interesting (being different) were also very simple, some feeling all too easy, especially with being rich and having all the weapons and ammo I needed through the whole game with no worries.

I loved some of the humour and light-hearted moments in the game really made it for me and this game will go down as an example of one of the great experiences I have had with a game , up there as one of my memorable gaming experiences. Not for the reasons I have enjoyed other games (where its concentrated on the visceral fun I have had) but for sheer variety, story and epicness that its entertained me with.

In all I will never play it again and the online is not for me (tried the demo and hated it) and I'll probably trade it back soon but I would defiantly recommend this as a must play game to anyone just to experience another type of what gaming can be.

Some of my favourite moments in the game:

1. The Motorbike Set Piece
2. The old school flash back level
3. Jumping at surprise when I frozen walker popped up from the snow
4. Following the whistling resistance member or foot print section
5. Snake with gun in his mouth
6. The Sunny Character

Now I'm going to flick back through the thread and read all those spoilers :D

psycho_snake

Flo_Evans said:
Really I don't know WTF people are doing in the official thread 5 days after the game comes out and complaining about spoilers... People have already beat the game multiple times and want to talk about it. If you haven't, GTFO. Not to mention
REX
was spoiled already in a trailer! :lol
Not everyone has had the time to play through the game once, nevermind multiple times. The game has only been out for 5 days.

FabCam

jjasper said:
:lol How did people not know about
Rex
it was in a trailer and even a commercial back in Janurary (I think)

In this thread everything is a spoiler. Some guy made a fuss because he someone said there were 5 acts...

psycho_snake

Just had my first boss battle. It was a very good first boss battle. You can sort of predict what the boss battle is going to be like before you do it.
when you find out that laughing octopus has octocamo, you can guess that the battle is going to be something along the lines of having to find her when she's hidden

It was pretty tense
It was pretty freaky walking around the lab and being prepared for laughing octopus to just jump out of a window or see her hidden very well. Night vision really helps; you can spot her a lot easier when you use it

Steroyd

NME said:
I don't think the "IT WAS IN THE TRAILER!" argument holds up. It seems to me that there was an MGS2 trailer once upon a time that showed Snake in playable circumstances in Big Shell.

All to hide that
Raiden was the main character.

But that Rex vs Ray thing in the trailer last year got me hot under the collar I can assure you. :D

The bike chase is the best rail shooting segment ever. It's just fucking amazing, and I usually cringe when games force you to do stuff like that.

FabCam

psycho_snake said:
Just had my first boss battle. It was a very good first boss battle. You can sort of predict what the boss battle is going to be like before you do it.
when you find out that laughing octopus has octocamo, you can guess that the battle is going to be something along the lines of having to find her when she's hidden

It was pretty tense
It was pretty freaky walking around the lab and being prepared for laughing octopus to just jump out of a window or see her hidden very well. Night vision really helps; you can spot her a lot easier when you use it

I thought it was a really good boss battle actually. Not as good as The End obviously, but better than most of the MGS2 boss battles.

psycho_snake

dralla said:
Is there any way to check the statue's you've collected? I got the one from LO but can't seem to find it anywhere in my inventory.
Statue's? What do you get them for and how many are there?

Plus, is there any other acheievements or collectable stuff like that?

andrewfee said:
Ok, but it is never an objective to help the militia. You can help out the militia in places, and yet in others—often right after scenes where you've helped them out—you can't do a thing but kill an infinite number of PMC troops or run past. There's no indication of whether or not you're helping or it's an exercise in futility — you only find that out after a couple of minutes of shooting when you realise that it's not going to stop, or when another helicopter spawns in overhead etc.

In Act I, if you help the rebels just before you go to the Safe House zone, you can defeat all of the Rebels and they cheer and celebrate when you've won the battle. After that, they greet you when they see you and emit little heart emoticons. There is no infinite spawn and it's fun to help them win the battle.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This fucking end boss is one of the worst I've ever played in a game... am I missing something?! Why the fuck is this so impossible, I'm seriously about to just go trade this piece of shit in right now, it's ruining the entire game for me.

psycho_snake

FabCam said:
I thought it was a really good boss battle actually. Not as good as The End obviously, but better than most of the MGS2 boss battles.
yeah I'd say its definately better than any of the MGS2 boss battles, but not as good as the majority of the MGS3 boss battles. I thought it was great, but just not on the same level as the best MGS3 boss battles (ocelot when you're on the opposite side of the canyon, volgin + shagohod, The End, The Boss). Its only the first one though, so they're bound to get better. My brother has almost finished the game and he said there are some brilliant bosses later on.

Steroyd

psycho_snake said:
Statue's? What do you get them for and how many are there?

Plus, is there any other acheievements or collectable stuff like that?

Stamina kill the beasts and other than crying Wolf you have to collect the statues during the Beauty sequence.

You get something for getting the 5 statues + the FROG statue, which you get for non killing the FROGS through the Rat Patrol part in Act 1.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
psycho_snake said:

It was pretty tense

I've been a noob so far i just rocket launcher the hell out of all of them :D , but yeah night vision is bomb

--and it's only been 5 days some people work or have class

psycho_snake

FabCam said:
There are loads of collectibles like music from previous games and weapons.
Yeah I've got some of the music.

I dont want to know where all the collectable's are, but atleast know what you can collect so I know what to look for.

Facism

tha_con said:
Metal Gear
Soquid
!?

you've completed the game, aye?

it's been stated in this thread earlier, but the whole thing with Raiden rescuing Sunny and retrieving the body of Big Boss for Eva could do with a bit of fleshing out, Snake Eater style. It doesn't really get touched upon that much within MGS4.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
SaitoH said:
Quick question: Does getting a caution count as an Alert Phase, or do they actually have to spot you?

I've read that Caution is ok. Also, I've read that getting the Alert sound but not seeing any notification that you've been spotted is ok too.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
seriously can anyone help me out with this last boss? Wtf am I doing wrong, it should NOT be this hard. I haven't had any part throughout this entire game, even half as hard as this.

psycho_snake said:
yeah I'd say its definately better than any of the MGS2 boss battles, but not as good as the majority of the MGS3 boss battles. I thought it was great, but just not on the same level as the best MGS3 boss battles (ocelot when you're on the opposite side of the canyon, volgin + shagohod, The End, The Boss). Its only the first one though, so they're bound to get better. My brother has almost finished the game and he said there are some brilliant bosses later on.
I'm at the end of Act 4 (I think!). I'd say that boss fights 1 and 2 kind of stink, 3 is good, and 4 really stinks. I fought the first two by
squatting in front of the boss with the M60 and letting it rip.
I haven't seen anything that lives up to the boss fights of MGS 3, which were a high point of the last console generation imo.

The cut-scene stuff as reviewed really worried me, but in practice I've enjoyed almost all of them. Just a wonderful package, all in all.

Side-note: Interesting that Kojima considers Twin Snakes as canon ahead of the PSone MGS, what with Naomi & Mei-Ling's accents being as they are. I'm no uber-fan of MGS but I recall that some of the furore over Twin Snakes was those voices in particular being different.

elseanio

Act 4 + Camera?

Is it know how many ghosts there are in Act 4 when you take pictures in certain places? I can see the ghosts in-game, but they are not there when I export them to XMB. I also have the option to 'exorcise' in the photo viewer mode. Is there any reward for doing this?

Doc Evils

Does anyone know how I can get those Metal Gear Solid 4 metal cases? I saw one on ebay and it ended up going for £91 with the game :eek: it seems to come with promo copies to the press.

Steroyd

SaitoH said:
Quick question: Does getting a caution count as an Alert Phase, or do they actually have to spot you?

When you see ALERT at the top even for a milisecond it's counted as, anything else isn't.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Returners said:
at the top, only after defeating her though
(in her beauty mode)

wait, I'm lost after you
tranq them thats the end of the boss fight, so how am I able to go and get the status? I only found Screaming Mantis :(

Kowak

Banned
SaitoH said:

caution is ok, i am giving no alerts/non-lethal/no rations used/under 6 hours ago on hard. got spotted by a gekko early in the game but no alert came up gotta wait till first mission stats to see if it counted as an alert.

msdstc said:
seriously can anyone help me out with this last boss? Wtf am I doing wrong, it should NOT be this hard. I haven't had any part throughout this entire game, even half as hard as this.

Don't worry about blocking, make a point to get the dodge timing down. If you dodge his big hits, he'll stumble and you can lay into him.

tha_con

Banned
msdstc said:
This fucking end boss is one of the worst I've ever played in a game... am I missing something?! Why the fuck is this so impossible, I'm seriously about to just go trade this piece of shit in right now, it's ruining the entire game for me.

Are you using the dashes? Dash in and out freequently to bait him into a missed attack, and then dash in with a low hook. It's also wise to use a lot of CQC by holding R1 when near him, you can do a little damage, but keep yourself safe, which is always good. Lastly, if you see him stagger after some blocked moves, hold L1 and tap R1 for an extremely powerful punch.

psycho_snake

ChrisGoldstein said:
I've been a noob so far i just rocket launcher the hell out of all of them :D , but yeah night vision is bomb

--and it's only been 5 days some people work or have class
I tried killing the first boss the same way you did on my first go, but then I realised its a lot easier to just
walk around with night vision and then use the M4 to shoot her

Steroyd said:
Stamina kill the beasts and other than crying Wolf you have to collect the statues during the Beauty sequence.

You get something for getting the 5 statues + the FROG statue, which you get for non killing the FROGS through the Rat Patrol part in Act 1.
Stamina Kill? I dont even know how to do that. I'll figure it out myself though.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
tha_con said:
Are you using the dashes? Dash in and out freequently to bait him into a missed attack, and then dash in with a low hook. It's also wise to use a lot of CQC by holding R1 when near him, you can do a little damage, but keep yourself safe, which is always good. Lastly, if you see him stagger after some blocked moves, hold L1 and tap R1 for an extremely powerful punch.

that's the thing... I'm doing all of that, but everytime I get to the otacon part he is just shitting all over me by strangling me... just one hit from that and you're pretty much fucked.
seriously at this point I've turned it off and lost all will to play... I was really interested in that damn story and just wanted to see how it would all end, but now I'm losing that interest and am just gunna go trade this one in. Thanks for the help though.

psycho_snake

Captain Glanton said:
I'm at the end of Act 4 (I think!). I'd say that boss fights 1 and 2 kind of stink, 3 is good, and 4 really stinks. I fought the first two by
squatting in front of the boss with the M60 and letting it rip.
I haven't seen anything that lives up to the boss fights of MGS 3, which were a high point of the last console generation imo.
Well I'm hoping you're wrong about the boss battles not living upto MGS3.

Thats a pretty difficult thing to do to be fair. MGS always had pretty good boss battles, but the MGS3 boss battles were pretty exceptional. I dont think there will be a boss battle as good as The End.

Kowak

Banned
msdstc said:

i just went in close then pressed x to dodge when he punched then attacked then dodged attacked until it was over. i found moving in and out he would catch me with a big arm once or mtwice.

so does anyone have a location list of statues when you meet the requirements. I assume they are always in the same place, the frog one was at least. just completed my no spot, no kill, no health pack run on liquid easy but forgot to buy all the sweet weapons on act 5 and dont want to go back and re do it.

The frog statue is just to the left of the door in the garage where the rat patrol team owns the 4 frog units via cutscene and bullet time. i dont know where the other statues are if someone could help out it would be awesome.

Crayon

revolverjgw said:
Don't worry about blocking, make a point to get the dodge timing down. If you dodge his big hits, he'll stumble and you can lay into him.

I'm still wondering if people having trouble with this part play alot of fighting games. Because I think if you don't, you may be missing a few skills. For example: on the second part
Liquid Ocelot, hes starts doin a nasty punch (Bryan f,f+2!) that takes a chunk of life. I play alot of fighting games and I can sidestep this move on reaction every time. It's a two-part beat. "take.this", he says. Every time you hear "Take" you sidestep on the "this" beat.

I'm reading complaints about that part and feeling bad for some of you guys because this boss fight obviosuly is coming off as really obtuse to you.

Banned
Micromegas said:
In Act I, if you help the rebels just before you go to the Safe House zone, you can defeat all of the Rebels and they cheer and celebrate when you've won the battle. After that, they greet you when they see you and emit little heart emoticons. There is no infinite spawn and it's fun to help them win the battle.
I know that they do that — I did help them out. But my problem is that there are sections like that where you can help them, and then there are sections later, where the helicopter comes for example, that you can't help them, and have no idea one way or the other.

In Act 2, I freed the militia right at the start, and helped them get through the next few areas. Then you get to the bit where they're trying to blow up a power station and the PMCs/militia just respawn indefinitely. Literally as soon as you drop a PMC soldier, another comes around the corner. I think it was all the bodies from me trying to help them out there that caused the framerate to get so bad, even though I was hanging back sniping them all. But the game gives you no indication of the parts where you can help, and where you're just wasting your time, so how was I supposed to know that was the wrong approach to take in that ‘room’ when it's what I was supposed to do in the last one?

psycho_snake

Steroyd said:
When I say stamina kill I mean kill the lower bar instead of the life bar at the top, just like MGS3 bosses.
I know what stamina kill is, I've just never tried doing it.

tha_con

Banned
msdstc said:
that's the thing... I'm doing all of that, but everytime I get to the otacon part he is just shitting all over me by strangling me... just one hit from that and you're pretty much fucked.
seriously at this point I've turned it off and lost all will to play... I was really interested in that damn story and just wanted to see how it would all end, but now I'm losing that interest and am just gunna go trade this one in. Thanks for the help though.

You've got to be kidding me? You're going to trade it in? To each their own I guess.

Honestly, I only had difficulty with the second part of the fight
(Liquid Ocelot)
and didn't really struggle at all with any of the other parts.

msdstc said:

...im pretty shocked a single instances of YOU sucking would ruin the game for you. :lol
im not going to degrade you anymore than your comments do but, give the game more than a single playthrough and make it all the way to end and give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom