• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff-DSA said:
You're a retard.

a metal gear in a metal gear game, who knew. certainly not from the trailers... retard.
jesus christ people, it's very simple, you don't wanna be spoiled, don't read. i spoiler tag everything that's story centric (see my previous posts) if you havent the played the game up to that point you have no bussiness reading the thread. can't even have a damn game discussion anymore for fear of upsetting someone... cripes.

Crayon

msdstc said:
that's the thing... I'm doing all of that, but everytime I get to the otacon part he is just shitting all over me by strangling me... just one hit from that and you're pretty much fucked.
seriously at this point I've turned it off and lost all will to play... I was really interested in that damn story and just wanted to see how it would all end, but now I'm losing that interest and am just gunna go trade this one in. Thanks for the help though.

Haha!!! MGS4 breaks a Gaffer.

Dragon

Banned
andrewfee said:
I know that they do that — I did help them out. But my problem is that there are sections like that where you can help them, and then there are sections later, where the helicopter comes for example, that you can't help them, and have no idea one way or the other.

In Act 2, I freed the militia right at the start, and helped them get through the next few areas. Then you get to the bit where they're trying to blow up a power station and the PMCs/militia just respawn indefinitely. Literally as soon as you drop a PMC soldier, another comes around the corner. I think it was all the bodies from me trying to help them out there that caused the framerate to get so bad, even though I was hanging back sniping them all. But the game gives you no indication of the parts where you can help, and where you're just wasting your time, so how was I supposed to know that was the wrong approach to take in that ‘room’ when it's what I was supposed to do in the last one?

You mean it's not spoonfed to you? You know, like real war? :lol

As far as your other ridiculous criticism during the briefings that having the Mk II available to move around while everyone is talking, apparently the L2 button doesn't work on your controller.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
So far there's one thing that annoys me. I hate how you have to equip rations for you to be automatically use them when you run out of health. It would have been better if you could equip an item oher than rations, but rations are still automatically used even though they're not equipped.

Its hardly a big complaint, but its just one of those small things that bugs me.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
msdstc said:
that's the thing... I'm doing all of that, but everytime I get to the otacon part he is just shitting all over me by strangling me... just one hit from that and you're pretty much fucked.
seriously at this point I've turned it off and lost all will to play... I was really interested in that damn story and just wanted to see how it would all end, but now I'm losing that interest and am just gunna go trade this one in. Thanks for the help though.

Damn dude you seriously need to have more will to play man, the fight was kinda easy once you know how to move aroudn and block.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
msdstc said:
This fucking end boss is one of the worst I've ever played in a game... am I missing something?! Why the fuck is this so impossible, I'm seriously about to just go trade this piece of shit in right now, it's ruining the entire game for me.

Stop mashing and learn proper spacing.

It is ridiculously easy... Even on hard. (Never tried BB extreme)

Crayon

andrewfee said:
I know that they do that — I did help them out. But my problem is that there are sections like that where you can help them, and then there are sections later, where the helicopter comes for example, that you can't help them, and have no idea one way or the other.

In Act 2, I freed the militia right at the start, and helped them get through the next few areas. Then you get to the bit where they're trying to blow up a power station and the PMCs/militia just respawn indefinitely. Literally as soon as you drop a PMC soldier, another comes around the corner. I think it was all the bodies from me trying to help them out there that caused the framerate to get so bad, even though I was hanging back sniping them all. But the game gives you no indication of the parts where you can help, and where you're just wasting your time, so how was I supposed to know that was the wrong approach to take in that ‘room’ when it's what I was supposed to do in the last one?

You just seem to be upset that not everything goes your way.

Some places there are eney closets. BECAUSE if you could simply lay low in a corner and headshot ever troop on a battlefield, then simply walk by a dead battlfield, the game would not be very challenging or varied.

The whole point of the game is trying to make it across a live battlefield. When some soldiers die, more come to take their place.

tha_con

Banned
andrewfee said:

During both parts you have objectives to get to certain points. You CAN assist the Militia during the scene where the helicopter shows up by blowing up the helicopter, but the enemies and militia will continue to come. Your objective is to get into that building and meet your informants.

During Act 2, your objective is to get to the Mansion, once you move past certain points in the power station, enemies stop spawning from those areas, forward progress and all that. When you move to the front of the power station (where the huge balcony is) the enemies will stop spawning. You CAN win that portion and help them blow up the power station before moving on to the next area.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
i had seen mg ray in the trailers i was just relieved to find out you got to use rex against it, i thought i'd be running around on the ground trying to kill that thing with no mech, also it reminded me of how i want a ZOTE ps3 version

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
MarkMan said:
Stop mashing and learn proper spacing.

It is ridiculously easy... Even on hard. (Never tried BB extreme)

It was easy to me but I loved the whole fight,
the way you had to space between you guys and go back and fourth :lol

Playing alot of Tekken/Soul Calibur/ SF3S, helped in this fight IMO

decon

Sorry if already answered in this thread, but it is long over 300 pages now :lol

Tomorrow my imported 80gb bundle will arrive, but I will be going out of town for the next 3 days, so no play for me. I can't even receive the box myself, I'll have my brother come over a take care of it.

Anyways, is that documentary disc with the bundle?

About to finish Act 2 (been killing a ton of PMC's and Frogs through sniping, cqc and silenced fire) and
I found the crop circle:lol So awesome and pretty eerie at the same time

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
You mean it's not spoonfed to you? You know, like real war? :lol
Right, because real war is won by one person crossing an invisible trigger point to stop the enemies respawning.

TheBranca18 said:
As far as your other ridiculous criticism during the briefings that having the Mk II available to move around while everyone is talking, apparently the L2 button doesn't work on your controller.
So then you miss out on the hidden items—some of which are quite useful—and seeing what Sunny is up to. You also have a glowing orange ‘press select for controls’ overlaid on the screen.

If it were just the cutscene you get with L2, I'd be fine with that, but the addition of the other things makes you feel like you're missing out if you hide them. And if you don't hide them, you're not paying full attention to the briefing.

tha_con said:
During both parts you have objectives to get to certain points. You CAN assist the Militia during the scene where the helicopter shows up by blowing up the helicopter, but the enemies and militia will continue to come. Your objective is to get into that building and meet your informants.
Right, but in all the parts before that, you were able to clear out the PMCs and help the militia progress. There's no indication that you can't do it there — why shouldn't you be able to? And the Helicopter respawns once you take it out — that was when I realised it was absolutely pointless and just went into the building, abandoning the Militia who were just getting cut down before I was there to help out.

tha_con said:
During Act 2, your objective is to get to the Mansion, once you move past certain points in the power station, enemies stop spawning from those areas, forward progress and all that. When you move to the front of the power station (where the huge balcony is) the enemies will stop spawning. You CAN win that portion and help them blow up the power station before moving on to the next area.
As soon as I passed that invisible trigger point, they won. I didn't have to help clear anyone out — get past the trigger point and you win. Great design there, absolutely revolutionary.

I own MGS4 LE and under bestbuy's page it says:

Metal Gear Solid 4 Limited Edition comes with extras such as the first 2 chapters of the Metal Gear Solid Comic Book; Blu-Ray DVD on a Metal Gear Solid retrospective; Interview with producer Kojima; Behind the scenes look at Metal Gear Solid 4 as well as music score from MGS4.

I don't see the first 2 chapters of MGS Comic Book :/ Where am i suppose to be looking?

elbkhm

Crayon said:
You just seem to be upset that not everything goes your way.

Some places there are eney closets. BECAUSE if you could simply lay low in a corner and headshot ever troop on a battlefield, then simply walk by a dead battlfield, the game would not be very challenging or varied.

The whole point of the game is trying to make it across a live battlefield. When some soldiers die, more come to take their place.
Even if the game isn't challenging enough, monster closets are not a very good solution. It would be better if the AI would come after you, rather than just spawning enemies until you run out of bullets (or more likely, patience).

shagg_187 said:
I own MGS4 LE and under bestbuy's page it says:

Metal Gear Solid 4 Limited Edition comes with extras such as the first 2 chapters of the Metal Gear Solid Comic Book; Blu-Ray DVD on a Metal Gear Solid retrospective; Interview with producer Kojima; Behind the scenes look at Metal Gear Solid 4 as well as music score from MGS4.

I don't see the first 2 chapters of MGS Comic Book :/ Where am i suppose to be looking?

do they mean the instruction booklet?

roxya

andrewfee said:
Then you get to the bit where they're trying to blow up a power station and the PMCs/militia just respawn indefinitely

Actually, there is an objective to that part. You can help the militia by
clearing a path to the back entrance of the power station. They actually go inside with you and blow the place up. There's even a small associated cutscene (very small, just showing you the power going out?)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
andrewfee said:
So then you miss out on the hidden items—some of which are quite useful—
and seeing what Sunny is up to. You also have a glowing orange ‘press select for controls’ overlaid on the screen.

If it were just the cutscene you get with L2, I'd be fine with that, but the addition of the other things makes you feel like you're missing out if you hide them. And if you don't hide them, you're not paying full attention to the briefing.

Well I guess that means playing it twice, huh? I wonder if it's also coincidental that all mission briefings are available via the main menu...almost as if players would replay them...

Ryu

He's selling the game back because he couldn't finish
the Snake and Ocelot
fight? You can hit select and bring up the controls menu during that part. You can even just spam
the R1 button and keep doing the 2 punch 2 kick combo that Snake does. 9 times out of 10 even just one of those hits catching Ocelot will be enough to give you the upper hand.

It makes me sad you had a great time with the game and then gave up at the very end. :(

elbkhm

Spoilers about Act 5 and the ending
Although I loved the game overall, the last act and the ending really fell flat, in my opinion. After MGS3's ending sequence, I was expecting a truly epic series of boss battles and scenes. Instead, I got one normal boss (Mantis), some button mashing, and one (pretty cool) hand-to-hand fight. No getaway on a motorcycle while battling enemy battle tank? No on foot fight against a dozen Rays? The ending itself was pretty lame too. Liquid planned the whole thing from the start? Argh. Way to take any feeling of acomplishment away from the players. Bring Big Boss back from the dead (again)? Why? Just so he can explain some more of the plot points, and then die? Stupid, stupid, stupid. All in all I loved the game, but the ending really failed to deliver on the promises of the beginning.

DustinC

I finished this on Sunday and I've kinda been digesting the story until now. I really loved it though, but I'm not sure why people are hating on the overall plot. Sure, it's over the top, but you can make it fairly easy to understand.

End spoilers

Ocelot is the carrot, Snake is the horse. The whole game is Ocelot baiting Snake into following him onto the ship, without Snake never being made to realize why, which would in turn tip of the Patriots that Snake is unknowingly working for. It's not so much an act that Ocelot puts on to trick the patriots, but more of an act put on to trick Snake, the tool of the Patriots.

Even the EVA fire thing that people have trouble with, hell, before Snake even met EVA she had to know that his Foxdie would kill her. Consider that Naomi had already discovered the new Foxdie and made her way back to Ocelot by that point, and since Ocelot and EVA are working together, it makes sense that he would have told her.

The entire chase thru the streets was just a way of leading Snake back to Ocelot, and EVA's "meaningless" death (she was already dying by this point) made sure that Snake would be even more committed to chasing after the "evil" Liquid Ocelot. She absolutely knew that it was Solidus that was tossed into the fire (someone who she never had any emotional attachment too apparently, since she only mentions Liquid and Snake). So she could either choose to die from the FOXDIE, or use her inevitable death to push Snake even further.

Did Ocelot need to kill all of those soldiers after disabling their weapons at the end of Act 3? Nope, but Snake would have definitely wondered why the fuck he didn't. Keep in mind he had no issues with destroying a ship full of Marines in MGS2. Ocelot was a great soldier if nothing else, and realized the importance of carrying a mission thru to the very end regardless of who has to suffer, something he learned as early on as MGS3 from The Boss (remember that she allowed Volgin to fire off a nuke, and was willing to do a few other "villian" type things just to keep undercover).

Ocelot willing to die at the end makes complete sense as well, since he was basically in the same position that The Boss was at the end of MGS3. They would both be branded as traitors to the unknowing masses, and Ocelot definitely had a warrior's mentality to him. He probably looked at it as the last "honorable" act, going out at the hands of Big Boss's only living legacy.

I dunno, after thinking about it a bit I don't really feel that the overall plot is super convoluted. It's easy to look at everything at face value and make it more complicated than it really is, but if you look at the characters thru the course of whatever games they've shown up in, it fits into place pretty well. I get not liking the dialogue, or some of the dumb humor, but the overall plot works pretty well for me.

HOLY SHIT!:lol :lol :lol
This is kinda off topic but I saw this amazing post on Gamespot while trying to get some info on the Deadliest Catch game that is coming out (I am a fan of the show, what can I say)
Guy1 said:
Im a huge fan of the show is this game worth the money or I should just stay away from this one? Because I was thinking of tradeing in mgs4 for this game.
Guy2 said:
This game blows MGS out of the water. I traded my LE edition at garbage stop to get this game. I pray this gets higher ratings than MGS4 so we xbox fans can get yet another big plus over the wack PS3.
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/deadliestcatchalaskanstorm/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-43721513&pid=946237
Words escape me, if GAF ever gets like this I will destroy it.

Torquill

msdstc said:
seriously can anyone help me out with this last boss? Wtf am I doing wrong, it should NOT be this hard. I haven't had any part throughout this entire game, even half as hard as this.

Depending on how far you've made it through the fight, some of this may contain minor spoilers for you, but nothing major.

General: Lets make sure you know all the controls available to you since they don't really tell you. R1 Punches, the control stick orbits you around Liquid and x plus directions lets you step quickly.

Liquid: Don't really have any tricks for this one, just beat the shit out of him. You might try charging him with forward + X and spamming R1 as you're moving towards him. Move around a lot, stick and move!

Liquid Ocelot: This one is the easiest to cheese. Just hang back and wait for him to do is screaming charge up attack where he rears back. After a bit of practic you should be able to get a feel for how close you can get to him when he does this without getting hit, then he's totally open for you to get in there and beat the shit out of him.

Ocelot: Kinda fuzzy, but I think as long as you follow all the prompts during the CQC interactions you should be okay. Also I think you could headbutt him or something if you hit triangle after a single standing punch, or something.

Final: SPAM R1!! SPAM IT!!! SPAM THAT FUCKER!!! BEAT HIS ASS!!!!

Baha

So I fought
Raven again today, so I decided to switch things up a bit. Did you know that during her beauty form (non-whiteroom version) if you hit her with the stun knife, you knock off over 1 bar of her psyche? I gotta try this with octopus. I finished her off in the whiteroom with a roll :)

Doc Evils

Found this on an other forum:

2re5is3.jpg

:eek:

andrewfee said:
Huge post

Wow, and I thought I was being kind of harsh on the game. :lol

Absolutely agree with most of your criticisms about the gameplay and story, especially the big reveal about the identity of the founding members of the Patriots.
Major Zero, Naked Snake's friend and comrade turned into a megalomaniac obsessed with absolute control over humanity? Para-Medic, the avid Godzilla movie fan who talked me through my field injuries became the morally bankrupt Dr. Clark? What. The. FUCK?

I won't bother getting into the problems I had with the ending, but there were some reveals that just didn't sit right with me.

Edit: Holy shit @ someone already obtaining "Big Boss" rank.

Teknoman

Crap this Raging Raven fight is intense! And its raining hard outside with thunder adding to the explosive effects.

EDIT: Im staying out of the Solid Eye topic with my screenshots till I beat the game. Too many spoilers in there. Also im glad I helped the rebels in
South America blow up the electric generator. Climbed across the power lines and snagged a surface to air launcher that is REALLY helpful in this fight

Guled

Prince of Space said:
Wow, and I thought I was being kind of harsh on the game. :lol

Absolutely agree with most of your criticisms about the gameplay and story, especially the big reveal about the identity of the founding members of the Patriots.
Major Zero, Naked Snake's friend and comrade turned into a megalomaniac obsessed with absolute control over humanity? Para-Medic, the avid Godzilla movie fan who talked me through my field injuries became the morally bankrupt Dr. Clark? What. The. FUCK?

I won't bother getting into the problems I had with the ending, but there were some reveals that just didn't sit right with me.

Edit: Holy shit @ someone already obtaining "Big Boss" rank.
the patriots started off good, but as they got more power it over took them. Why is that hard to believe?

Guled said:
the patriots started off good, but as they got more power it over took them. Why is that hard to believe?
Power corrupting isn't hard to believe. What is kind of a stretch is that
the Patriots are made up of your support team from MGS3. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Banned
roxya said:
Actually, there is an objective to that part. You can help the militia by
clearing a path to the back entrance of the power station. They actually go inside with you and blow the place up. There's even a small associated cutscene (very small, just showing you the power going out?)
The only way to do that is to move ahead though, you can't just kill all the PMCs and have the Militia move forward as you do with the other sections. After I had been sat there killing PMCs for a few minutes, not getting anywhere, I just ran up to the building, went into the crawlspace underneath and the Militia won.

dralla

Prince of Space said:
Power corrupting isn't hard to believe. What is kind of a stretch is that
the Patriots are made up of your support team from MGS3. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Well, technically it goes back
to the Philosopher's and The Boss.

Slurmer

Banned
Just got the guide and
it says that the whole Liquid-Ocelot thing was a ploy by Ocelot the whole time; HE WAS ACTING. People were arguing about this earlier so I guess this should help clear it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom