• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Prince of Space said:
Power corrupting isn't hard to believe. What is kind of a stretch is that
the Patriots are made up of your support team from MGS3. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Why? They were of the few people who knew the truth of the mission. They alone knew The Boss's secret up to that point, and were stabbed in the back by the system. They had motive, talent, and funding (via The Legacy).

Chiggs

Gold Member
Micromegas said:
Please explain.

The big reveal that Ocelot gives on top of Outer Haven effectively destroys the meaning and significance of a lot of the events in the MGS games, especially since everything was planned from the get go, and apparently, only you and Otacon were the only ones left out of the loop. Also, like someone else pointed out, having the MGS3 codec characters turn into "morally bankrupt" megalomaniacs seems forced.

And de-villifying Ocelot was a horrible, horrible decision.

If this all sits well with you, then fine. But I don't think it's hard to understand the opposing viewpoint in this situation.

Guled

Prince of Space said:
Power corrupting isn't hard to believe. What is kind of a stretch is that
the Patriots are made up of your support team from MGS3. Just my thoughts on the matter.
They were the only ones to know about the bosses will, and had access to the Philosopher's legacy. They started out good, trying to protect the us, but as they got more power they started becoming more corrupt. I hope the next mgs game is in this era.

See, the Philosophers were easier to swallow than the Patriots, because it's stated that they were made up of the rich and powerful from the US, Russia, and China, while the Patriots were created by a rag-tag group of people that include an army(?) major, a medic, and a weapons expert. And they go on to amass more wealth and power than the Philosophers ever dreamed of. It's just a little far-fetched, even for MGS.

DustinC said:
End spoilers

Ocelot is the carrot, Snake is the horse. The whole game is Ocelot baiting Snake into following him onto the ship, without Snake never being made to realize why, which would in turn tip of the Patriots that Snake is unknowingly working for. It's not so much an act that Ocelot puts on to trick the patriots, but more of an act put on to trick Snake, the tool of the Patriots.

Even the EVA fire thing that people have trouble with, hell, before Snake even met EVA she had to know that his Foxdie would kill her. Consider that Naomi had already discovered the new Foxdie and made her way back to Ocelot by that point, and since Ocelot and EVA are working together, it makes sense that he would have told her.

The entire chase thru the streets was just a way of leading Snake back to Ocelot, and EVA's "meaningless" death (she was already dying by this point) made sure that Snake would be even more committed to chasing after the "evil" Liquid Ocelot. She absolutely knew that it was Solidus that was tossed into the fire (someone who she never had any emotional attachment too apparently, since she only mentions Liquid and Snake). So she could either choose to die from the FOXDIE, or use her inevitable death to push Snake even further.

Did Ocelot need to kill all of those soldiers after disabling their weapons at the end of Act 3? Nope, but Snake would have definitely wondered why the fuck he didn't. Keep in mind he had no issues with destroying a ship full of Marines in MGS2. Ocelot was a great soldier if nothing else, and realized the importance of carrying a mission thru to the very end regardless of who has to suffer, something he learned as early on as MGS3 from The Boss (remember that she allowed Volgin to fire off a nuke, and was willing to do a few other "villian" type things just to keep undercover).

Ocelot willing to die at the end makes complete sense as well, since he was basically in the same position that The Boss was at the end of MGS3. They would both be branded as traitors to the unknowing masses, and Ocelot definitely had a warrior's mentality to him. He probably looked at it as the last "honorable" act, going out at the hands of Big Boss's only living legacy.

I dunno, after thinking about it a bit I don't really feel that the overall plot is super convoluted. It's easy to look at everything at face value and make it more complicated than it really is, but if you look at the characters thru the course of whatever games they've shown up in, it fits into place pretty well. I get not liking the dialogue, or some of the dumb humor, but the overall plot works pretty well for me.
What I don't get is *END SPOILERS*
why Ocelot needed to get Snake do that and not do it by himself with Naomi while she was still alive. I know that it was Sunny who searched for Emma's old virus and combined it with the one that Naomi had made, but I don't think there would be no one else in the world who could do this. Why set up all this farce?

Chiggs said:
The big reveal that Ocelot gives on top of Outer Haven effectively destroys the meaning and significance of a lot of the events in the MGS games, especially since everything was planned from the get go, and apparently, only you and Otacon were the only ones left out of the loop. Also, like someone else pointed out, having the MGS3 codec characters turn into "morally bankrupt" megalomaniacs seems forced.

And de-villifying Ocelot was a horrible, horrible decision.

If this all sits well with you, then fine. But I don't think it's hard to understand the opposing viewpoint in this situation.

I didn't have a problem with the above - I got a different message out of it. Also, I wasn't challenging you - I really wanted an explanation, which I will now thank you for.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Micromegas said:
I didn't have a problem with the above - I got a different message out of it. Also, I wasn't challenging you - I really wanted an explanation, which I will now thank you for.

Sure, in a lot of cases, it's just a matter of perspective. Sorry if I came across as defensive.

Crayon

Anyone else adore the Frogs?

I think a frog would make a perfect pet.

I'd love her and hug her and pet her.

mgs4snaps008.jpg

* FROG GET!! *

I think their voice and personality is intentionally cute not unlike the sentry guns in Portal. I love these little gals.

Banned
DoctorWho said:
How do you tranq
Screaming Mantis
without killing her first form?
I didn't think you could. I tried everything I could think of, but the only thing that seemed to have any effect was using the mantis doll on her.

Grayman

Is PWANG an alert or 99.99? What about in the intro scene with no timer?

If I blast a guy in the face with a stun grenade it goes PWANG.

boco77

Banned
Just beat this amazing game and am a bit confused as to a few plot points even though I have played through the series.
I have questions about the ending and story.. spoilers of course

In the ending it said Big Mama/Ocelot were trying to revive Big Boss from stasis so I guess their plan failed as Drebin's new FOXDIE killed him as well as Big Mama and Ocelot? Who set it up to kill Big Boss from the new mutation? The Patriots or Naomi? I'm a little confused here as to who did what.

Why did Drebin inject Snake originally in the middle east? To stop FOXDIE? The patriots didnt tell him it would also kill Ocelot/Big Mama/Big Boss right? Thats the way I understand it anyway. But if thats the case why didnt Naomi tell Snake about what it would do once he came into contact with them? Why did she only tell Big Boss?

So Big Boss wanted to make peace with Snake but why would he want to die in the process afterwards knowing that if he came into contact it would kill him. Surely its not to stop the endless cycle as Snake is still alive and has genes similar to him anyway.

So what happened with FOXDIE at the end with Snake? I thought it was gonna go airborne if he didnt kill himself? Thats why he was going to kill himself right? So it mutated into another form? how? why? wouldnt it still kill people?

How did Big Boss die at the end? From FOXDIE that Snake carried? If so then what was Naomi and Eva/Big Mama trying to accomplish by setting up Big Boss to die like that? I didn't get this part.

Why can't Snake use FOXALIVE on himself to get rid of FOXDIE?

Guled

DoctorWho said:
How do you tranq
Screaming Mantis
without killing her first form?
when I used the phyco mantis doll, I got the little toy so I think it didn't count as a kill

traveler

Not Wario
I really don't have that many problems with the plot of MGS4 and I actually like how it all comes together conceptually, despite my earlier criticisms. (The only real problems I have there are
Ocelot's immunity to Foxdie until, conveniently enough, the climax, as opposed to every other target of it, and Ocelot's seemingly willingness to kill Snake with Outer Haven at the end of Act 4.
) No, my major problems with the narrative aren't the actual major story points, but the execution in Acts 4 and 5. Like I've said before, they raise the stakes too high over and over again and put several characters through near-death experiences time and time again and then expect us to feel any tension/worry/concern over their fate. (And that's not even to mention the way the narrative is distributed- with some better editing, I really think the ending could have been made WAY better- even using the exact same story. Too many characters repeat the same explanations and the game cuts to abstract charts and diagrams with voiceovers too many times.)

Guled

boco77 said:
Just beat this amazing game and am a bit confused as to a few plot points even though I have played through the series.
I have questions about the ending and story.. spoilers of course

In the ending it said Big Mama/Ocelot were trying to revive Big Boss from stasis so I guess their plan failed as Drebin's new FOXDIE killed him as well as Big Mama and Ocelot? Who set it up to kill Big Boss from the new mutation? The Patriots or Naomi? I'm a little confused here as to who did what.

Why did Drebin inject Snake originally in the middle east? To stop FOXDIE? The patriots didnt tell him it would also kill Ocelot/Big Mama/Big Boss right? Thats the way I understand it anyway. But if thats the case why didnt Naomi tell Snake about what it would do once he came into contact with them? Why did she only tell Big Boss?

So Big Boss wanted to make peace with Snake but why would he want to die in the process afterwards knowing that if he came into contact it would kill him. Surely its not to stop the endless cycle as Snake is still alive and has genes similar to him anyway.

So what happened with FOXDIE at the end with Snake? I thought it was gonna go airborne if he didnt kill himself? Thats why he was going to kill himself right? So it mutated into another form? how? why? wouldnt it still kill people?

How did Big Boss die at the end? From FOXDIE that Snake carried? If so then what was Naomi and Eva/Big Mama trying to accomplish by setting up Big Boss to die like that? I didn't get this part.

Why can't Snake use FOXALIVE on himself to get rid of FOXDIE?
1. The Patriots

2. Drebin work for the patriots,I don't think Naomi knew it would kill everyone

3. See, almost everyone in the game is seeking redempsion. Big Boss, Eva, Naomi, and ocelot found it threw death. Snake was, but he just couldn't do it. Otacon and the rest got redempsion by living and starting a new

4. The new foxdie is killing off the old one, the new one will mutate, but snake will be long dead before that happends

5. There main goal was to destroy the patriots, thats what they did. They wanted to free big boss, we has in between life and death.

6. foxalive is a computer program, snake is not a computer, he is human.

Banned
chaoticprout said:
Use mk 2 to knock down psycho mantis and then use the doll to own it, and it counts
Oh you're right, that does work. I used the Mosin-Nagant for all of the bosses, I thought using the mantis doll counted as ‘killing’ her, seeing as it drained her health as well. Just checked and I got the mask after all.

traveler said:
(The only real problems I have there are
Ocelot's immunity to Foxdie until, conveniently enough, the climax, as opposed to every other target of it, and Ocelot's seemingly willingness to kill Snake with Outer Haven at the end of Act 4.
)

If you remember durring the last battle, he was constantly using the syringe to fight against it. I don't see why he couldn't have known that that he was already infected. Big Boss knew and I'm sure that EVA also knew.

Chiggs said:
The big reveal that Ocelot gives on top of Outer Haven effectively destroys the meaning and significance of a lot of the events in the MGS games, especially since everything was planned from the get go, and apparently, only you and Otacon were the only ones left out of the loop.
What are those events whose significance lessens due to the fact that Ocelot actually opposes the Patriots? Ocelot always double-triplecrossed everyone in his way, so I don't see it as contradictory to previous events. In fact, it makes sense that Ocelot pretended to betray Liquid in MGS1 and Solidus in MGS2 in favor of the Patriots but in reality he was always aiding anyone who stood against them. Remember that Liquid demanded the remains of Big Boss in MGS1 and also Sigint died in Shadow Moses?

As for the support team who turns out to be the main villains, at the beginning it sounds far-fetched, sure, but with the Philosopher's Legacy, Big Boss and Zero could accomplish everything they wanted. This doesn't mean that Sigint and Paramedic were their ONLY accomplices, obviously other people jumped in along the way and don't forget that Ocelot and EVA were with them from the start. Paramedic and Sigint were in their 20s-30s during Snake Eater, most people can't be... that "evil" when they are so young and with no power at all.

traveler

Not Wario
Linkzg said:
If you remember durring the last battle, he was constantly using the syringe to fight against it. I don't see why he couldn't have known that that he was already infected. Big Boss knew and I'm sure that EVA also knew.

I meant more the fact that he was able to
live from his encounter with Snake in Act 3 till that moment- not that he survived the actual fist fight.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Crayon said:
Was going to say something like this.
Ocelot was de-vilified in MGS3.

No, he wasn't. He was young, for Christ's sake. And he still did some pretty wicked shit in that game, too.

traveler said:
I meant more the fact that he was able to
live from his encounter with Snake in Act 3 till that moment- not that he survived the actual fist fight.

Yeah, I think he was still injecting ever since even Act 1 (assuming Foxdie has that large of a radius). Like Naomi said earlier, each time you use the shot, it gets weaker. By the end he had to constantly inject and finally died indulging himself in a fight with the son of his idol.

Chiggs said:
No, he wasn't. He was young, for Christ's sake. And he still did some pretty wicked shit in that game, too.

Ocelot was never the 'true' villian. Neither was Liquid, Solidus, or Big Boss. Snake was the pawn in all these situations. Even until the end of MGS4, Snake was still being used as a pawn by the patriots. They were all fighting for freedom and trying to stop the control of The Patriots.

Volgin was a true 'villian'. The Boss wasn't. Similar situation.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Linkzg said:
Ocelot was never the 'true' villian. Neither was Liquid, Solidus, or Big Boss. Snake was the pawn in all these situations. Even until the end of MGS4, Snake was still being used as a pawn by the patriots. They were all fighting for freedom and trying to stop the control of The Patriots.

I think I'm just having trouble coming to grips with this, because I feel that element degrades the whole MGS mythology, especially since we know the underwhelming identities of the Patriots.

Guled

Linkzg said:

Volgin was a true 'villian'. The Boss wasn't. Similar situation.
ya, that was true. If anything, there is no real good guy, or a real bad guy, just shades of gray. Snake was just a pawn used by the patriots hence the name guns of the patriots. He was their gun, but ocelot used him to get at them.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Steiner_Zi said:
Chiggs I have replied to you at the end of last page.

Checking it out.

Steiner_Zi said:
What are those events whose significance lessens due to the fact that Ocelot actually opposes the Patriots? Ocelot always double-triplecrossed everyone in his way, so I don't see it as contradictory to previous events. In fact, it makes sense that Ocelot pretended to betray Liquid in MGS1 and Solidus in MGS2 in favor of the Patriots but in reality he was always aiding anyone who stood against them. Remember that Liquid demanded the remains of Big Boss in MGS1 and also Sigint died in Shadow Moses?

As for the support team who turns out to be the main villains, at the beginning it sounds far-fetched, sure, but with the Philosopher's Legacy, Big Boss and Zero could accomplish everything they wanted. This doesn't mean that Sigint and Paramedic were their ONLY accomplices, obviously other people jumped in along the way and don't forget that Ocelot and EVA were with them from the start. Paramedic and Sigint were in their 20s-30s during Snake Eater, most people can't be... that "evil" when they are so young and with no power at all.

First paragraph: Knowing what we know now, Snake's adventures seem to have been seriously degraded, in my opinion. Their impact lessened.
He's nothing but a pawn, and it seems everyone else was in on it, Otacon excluded. That element makes both Snake and Otacon seem like chumps. I don't like that. It's like taking a giant dump on a storied character. All the stuff that happened in MGS1 and 2 seems so, for the lack of a better word, downgraded.
I can see how some will see brilliance in Kojima's decision, calling it gutsy and whatnot, but it's not quite sitting well with me. I feel so disillusioned. :lol

Second paragraph: That's a good point. In some respects, that aspect is actually pretty interesting, I just wish it had been hinted at in earlier games. Having it all dumped on you in Act 3 is a bit overwhelming, even alienating.

I'm replaying the game just to get some more perspective.

Oh, one more thing:
Raiden is essentially a pawn, too? I mean, he killed Solidus.

Kusagari

Chiggs said:

I think it's ridiculous to call Ocelot a 'hero'. He obviously want in any sense of the word. There was one thing however, made clear in Snake Eater. He idolized Big Boss. The fact that he was helping to free Big Boss from The Patriots the entire series doesn't make him any less of a bastard. It just means he was working to free the one man he admired.

Also, please someone tell me
why Ocelot needed to have Snake destroy the AI and not do it by himself with Naomi while she was still alive. I know that it was Sunny who searched for Emma's old virus and combined it with the one that Naomi had made, but I don't think there would be no one else in the world who could do this.
That's one aspect of the story I don't get.

Otherwise,
I don't think that Big Boss and Zero (whom we don't really get to know in MGS3) being the co-founders of the Patriots, an organisation initially intended to implement the Boss's ideals, is any sort of underwhelming. The true evil Patriots we are accustomed to is the organisation after it got out of control of Zero's hands.

Alright, just finished act 3. What the hell. These three acts have all been very different. It's like 3 different games. I love that.

And the end movie of act 3... wow, it beats the end movie of act 2 even. Incredible.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Shinz Kicker said:
...im pretty shocked a single instances of YOU sucking would ruin the game for you. :lol
im not going to degrade you anymore than your comments do but, give the game more than a single playthrough and make it all the way to end and give up.

To all the responses I went back and beat it, but to be honest I still feel the same way about it... I feel as though it was a bullshit ending. The thing is I can handle hard games, even the most bullshit of ones, including NG:black/sigma on hard (fuck master ninja:lol ), but seriously it pissed me off so much, because at that point I REALLY wanted to see what was going to happen... then I had to do this
bull shit fight, which you don't get checkpoints or anything, which would continously end up on the 3rd stage of the damn thing
. I just didn't like it at all, and to be honest the whole dashing thing was more button mashing, then the original method I was using, which was timing, and countering... but somehow he always hit at the exact same time as me. Either way I beat it after settling down and I feel better now, but it's still an AWFUL ending.

edit- awful boss ending, not story ending.

FirewalkR

I've just finished the game
or so I think, I'm watching the second credits after snake and big boss's scene, and I don't put it past Kojima to cram a bit more har har
. What an awesome experience this was. Best game this gen so far. Absolutely amazing in everything, technically, artistically, storywise, character development, sense of immersion, makind the player feel all kind of emotions and of course, great gameplay. It's already one of my favorite games ever.

As a graphics whore, I should also mention two scenes in particular,
the bike scene
in Act 3 and
the fight scene with liquid, with its outstanding lighting
at the end. In both occasions, I almost couldn't believe what I was seeing in my screen.

Oh btw, I'm a "Hawk". That good?

Solo

How are people having trouble with the final fight? Its bar none the easiest in the game (well, aside from Vamp, once you know what you're doing). Punch him and avoid his attacks - easy as pie.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This game went from the best game I ever played, to the worst...back to the best, then an 8.0, a Double Dash 7.9, worst again, then upgraded to a C-, and now best again...

And I only just finished Act 2!

Teknoman

Moz La Punk said:
Alright, just finished act 3. What the hell. These three acts have all been very different. It's like 3 different games. I love that.

And the end movie of act 3... wow, it beats the end movie of act 2 even. Incredible.

You and me both :lol Though im still not sure what happened at the end.
Did Liquid inject Big Boss's DNA into him, giving him control over the military side of SOP? Also wtf at Naomi. I know who she is...but I never beat MGS1 (still need to get essentials) so im not sure whats up with the crazy double agentness,

mileS

Teknoman said:
Crap this Raging Raven fight is intense! And its raining hard outside with thunder adding to the explosive effects.

EDIT: Im staying out of the Solid Eye topic with my screenshots till I beat the game. Too many spoilers in there. Also im glad I helped the rebels in
South America blow up the electric generator. Climbed across the power lines and snagged a surface to air launcher that is REALLY helpful in this fight

I had no idea how to get to that item :lol
thanks!

Darkpen said:
wait, she was the first catwoman? I remember reading about her resume, and it was only about some soap operas she'd worked in.

Just in the 1966 movie but she has a very robust and impressive resume over the years.

Sorry, added spoilers about all the MGS 4 stuff (left data from previous games in the clear).

Here's what I got out of the game's exposition:

The true villain is not the Patriots. The true villain is the AIs, is the System (and systems in general). I think the point is made quite clearly that the "war economy" and the idea of eventual complete SOP ubiquity weren't planned from the first, they were invented by the AIs.

Throughout the series groups go out of control: the Philosophers were formed in horrified reaction to WWI, but their system prospered on conflict and took advantage--possibly even instigated--WWII; FOX Unit was meant as a tool of democracy but was usurped by Gene and redirected to violence; FOXHOUND repeated that problem with Liquid.
Finally, the Patriots were based on high morality and the ideal of a unified world, but they squabbled and their conflict (and growing technology) led to creation of the AIs and nanomachines, which provided an avenue for total fascist control of all society.

Metal Gear Solid is humanist and individualist.
Given the final debriefing, it turns out that throughout the series very few people are truly evil. It's the rituals and systems they create which cause evil, by ignoring the differences which define who we are, and squelching the humanity that should be uppermost. Ideologies--even ones born from democratic, positive principles like the Boss'--eventually run to disorder and ruin.
Big-picture thinking misses the point, Kojima says over and over again. All we have is personal goals and dreams.

Teknoman

mileS said:
I had no idea how to get to that item :lol
thanks!

Yeah heh I saw that item before the big fight with each side really started and wanted it, then I decided to turn around and help out the rebels (actually it was on accident since I had alert status from being too greedy on the inside of a small building). Next thing I know, boom.

Liabe Brave said:
Here's what I got out of the game's exposition:

The true villain is not the Patriots. The true villain is the AIs, is the System (and systems in general). I think the point is made quite clearly that the "war economy" and the idea of eventual complete SOP ubiquity weren't planned from the first, they were invented by the AIs.

Throughout the series groups go out of control: the Philosophers were formed in horrified reaction to WWI, but their system prospered on conflict and took advantage--possibly even instigated--WWII; FOX Unit was meant as a tool of democracy but was usurped by Gene and redirected to violence; FOXHOUND repeated that problem with Liquid. Finally, the Patriots were based on high morality and the ideal of a unified world, but they squabbled and their conflict (and growing technology) led to creation of the AIs and nanomachines, which provided an avenue for total fascist control of all society.

Metal Gear Solid is humanist and individualist. Throughout the series very few people are truly evil. It's the rituals and systems they create which cause evil, by ignoring the differences which define who we are as people, and squelching the humanity that should be uppermost. Ideologies--even ones born from democratic, positive principles like the Boss'--eventually run to disorder and ruin. Big-picture thinking misses the point, Kojima says over and over again. All we have is personal goals and dreams.

You know, thats a damn good summary, and done so without spoiling any in game events. Very nice. Though I do have to say, some of the minor "enemies" like Volgin were inherently bad. But like you said, very few, not all.

Zaptruder

Banned
This is without doubt, the best game, and the worst game of all time.

Worst game, because how the hell am I meant to play any other game without a tinge of disappointment now? Dammit Kojima! Your bar is too high!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom