• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grayman

Kintaro said:
You can defeat the bosses with the tranq gun right? Anything special for doing so? I'm on Laughing Mantis and if you can, it must take forever. =x

The mantis boss fight has a special trick, make some codec calls. I think someone figured out that the special trick does not count as a kill.

Narag

Kintaro said:
You can defeat the bosses with the tranq gun right? Anything special for doing so? I'm on Laughing Mantis and if you can, it must take forever. =x
Octopus?

Boss spoilers:
Yeah you can but each fight is two stages. The latter portion is where they are unarmored and susceptible to such.

dagZ

Kintaro said:

you get special facecamo, depending on the boss.

traveler

Not Wario
JCtheMC said:
Could you list the Big Boss requirements? Also, does the guide say anything about those damn Chaff grenades...
those Three-armed crawlers
are the fucking bane of Snake's alert-free existence, and chaff seems the only suitable weapon.

"0 Alerts
0 Kills
0 Continues
< 5 hours
0 Rations, Regains, Noodles used
No use of Stealth Camo or the Bandanna
The Boss Extreme difficulty
"

It doesn't give a specific listing of all the Chaff grenades in one area, but they are located throughout all the acts. (Mostly in Act 4 seemingly) The guide recommends that you do a playthrough before attempting the BB run in which you unlock
the Solar gun by getting the 5 figurines (acquired by using non-lethal means to dispatch the first Frog group with the Rat Patrol and the four Beast forms)
and stock up on a full supply of Mosin Nagant ammo, Mk tranqs,
emotion bullets for both of the aforementioned weapons as well as the 4 emotion corresponding smoke grenades,
and Air Ring rounds for the shotgun.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Kintaro said:

Basically, try to do a "No Kill" run and you'll get some nice stuff from not killing the Bosses, certain encounters and all the enemies in general ;)

traveler said:
"0 Alerts
0 Kills
0 Continues
< 5 hours
"

It doesn't give a specific listing of all the Chaff grenades in one area, but they are located throughout all the acts. (Mostly in Act 4 seemingly) The guide recommends that you do a playthrough before attempting the BB run in which you unlock
the Solar gun by getting the 5 figurines (acquired by using non-lethal means to dispatch the first Frog group with the Rat Patrol and the four Beast forms)
emotion bullets for both of the aforementioned weapons as well as the 4 emotion corresponding smoke grenades,

Does the guide state what the
"Emotion" bullets
are for? They seem like a novelty to me. I then revert to the Tranq bullets since the other ones knock out enemies when the emotions run their course, which then leads to other members finding them knocked out and they all go into Caution.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
JCtheMC said:
Could you list the Big Boss requirements? Also, does the guide say anything about those damn Chaff grenades...
those Three-armed crawlers
are the fucking bane of Snake's alert-free existence, and chaff seems the only suitable weapon.

0 alerts
0 kills
0 health items (not sure about Pentazemin)
Under 5 hours
0 Continues
No special items (Bandanna, Camo)

traveler

Not Wario
On a side note, anyone know if taking only taking out the Beauties with the tranq gun and not worrying about not damaging the Beasts would work for a No Kills run? The guide doesn't mention it. (I know you have to take down the Beasts with tranqs if you want the figurines, but I can't figure out if that will count as a kill or not if I don't)

Edit: BT, two emotion bullets to the head is a instant tranq- of course, you could just let one run its course if you'd like. They're just there to give you some extra tools capable of tranquilizing since you can't buy anything capable of it in
The Boss Extreme.
Every little bit counts.

Xtyle

traveler said:
The charts bit is nitpicky- it was just an example of issues I had with the execution of the story. There were far more serious problems I had with the story than them. (As I illustrated in that same post.)

I could understand that :D
The game is not without flaws.

JCtheMC

traveler said:
"0 Alerts
0 Kills
0 Continues
< 5 hours
"

Thanks for posting this!
I'll be happy if i meet all the requirements (except for the last one) on my current Solid Normal run. The boss fights will be hard enough not being able to use actual bullets.

Ryusei

Neo Member
JCtheMC said:
Thanks for posting this!
I'll be happy if i meet all the requirements (except for the last one) on my current Solid Normal run. The boss fights will be hard enough not being able to use actual bullets.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you only have to use the non-lethal ammo on the second phase of the bosses?

Banned
Liabe Brave said:
The game doesn't answer quite everything in detail. For example, I don't think we can know
whether Ocelot knew it was Solidus rather than Big Boss. They're genetically identical, and it's not like you could tell by the face. The extent of Ocelot's self-belief of himself as "Liquid Ocelot" goes unexplored.
Couldn't he tell from the fact that it was the wrong eye missing?

BlueTsunami

Ryusei said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you only have to use the non-lethal ammo on the second phase of the bosses?

Thats still a grey area. I would like to use Stronger weapons for the 1st phase on the Big Boss run (when I've already gotten all the satues).

traveler

Not Wario
Ryusei said:

That's what I've been wondering. The guide doesn't really specify anywhere that I can see. I know you need to use non-lethal ammo on the first phase if you want the figurines, but I can't tell if that counts as a kill or not. If anyone here has tested it or knows, some clarification would be appreciated.

Ryusei

Neo Member
BlueTsunami said:
Thats still a grey area. I would like to use Stronger weapons for the 1st phase on the Big Boss run (when I've already gotten all the satues).

Do you mind telling me what these statues do? Anything special compared to the Screaming Mantis one?

No_Style

Teknoman said:
Act 4 seems pretty great so far, unless it dies down later on.

EDIT: There are two many contenders this year. So much great stuff released this year.

Dies down isn't the phrase I'd use to describe the momentum going through Act 4.

I just finished Act 4 and I have renewed love for the game. At the end of Act 3, despite the awesome cutscene with all the action, and the long briefing.. I felt the game was slumping pretty bad. In fact, despite the whole Shadow Moses nostalgia, I felt it was very weak with regards to gameplay. But after the Gekko comes in and you had to protect Otacon... It picks right up and just runs with it. Piloting Rex felt awesome!

The entire gameplay segment of Act 4 put the scale and power of the Metal Gears into prospective.

Also, question about Naomi:

Sorry if this was addressed, but what's up with Naomi and Vamp? I know they're being kept alive by nanomachines, but why the feeling up and all that?

BlueTsunami

Ryusei said:
Do you mind telling me what these statues do? Anything special compared to the Screaming Mantis one?

You can't use them but
if you collect all of them you get an item at the end of the game. You also need to get statues from using Non-Lethal methods on the Frog Unit encounter (in the Middle East)

traveler

Not Wario
Ryusei said:

Getting all 5 (1 for each of the BBs and 1 for the first Frog battle) unlocks the
Solar Gun.

Ryusei

Neo Member
Thank you both. I was hoping they would have a special use. Oh well, the item you get from their 2nd encounter is good enough for me. :D

traveler

Not Wario
Ryusei said:
Thank you both. I was hoping they would have a special use. Oh well, the item you get from their 2nd encounter is good enough for me. :D

The
Solar Gun
is pretty friggin useful. It's another source of
tranquilizing you can utilize on a Big Boss run. (It's not forbidden) You charge it up like the Rail gun and a full shot will tranq any dude. It runs on a battery that recharges based on the sun, so ammo isn't as much of a limitation either. It also makes dudes drop items they wouldn't normally, like extra tranq rounds, which are ever so valuable in the highest difficulty.

BlueTsunami said:
You can't use them but
if you collect all of them you get an item at the end of the game. You also need to get statues from using Non-Lethal methods on the Frog Unit encounter (in the Middle East)
Wheres the statue for the Frogs after the battle?

SnakeXs

traveler said:
The
Solar Gun
is pretty friggin useful. It's another source of
tranquilizing you can utilize on a Big Boss run. (It's not forbidden) You charge it up like the Rail gun and a full shot will tranq any dude. It runs on a battery that recharges based on the sun, so ammo isn't as much of a limitation either. It also makes dudes drop items they wouldn't normally, like extra tranq rounds, which are ever so valuable in the highest difficulty.

To be honest, it's not without flaw.

For one, if an enemy is looking anywhere near you, they'll see the flash when it fires. For a split second there's an alert status, and it counts.

Second, KOs last almost nothing on Extreme, so unless you can tag them with a tranq after it's not that a great solution.

That said, I usually figure out which dudes on my path have Tranqs, put them to sleep, then use the Solar Gun to quickly and easily make them drop their items.

traveler

Not Wario
SnakeXs said:
To be honest, it's not without flaw.

For one, if an enemy is looking anywhere near you, they'll see the flash when it fires. For a split second there's an alert status, and it counts.

Second, KOs last almost nothing on Extreme, so unless you can tag them with a tranq after it's not that a great solution.

That said, I usually figure out which dudes on my path have Tranqs, put them to sleep, then use the Solar Gun to quickly and easily make them drop their items.

I haven't used it yet, so I wouldn't know. The guide did mention those drawbacks now that I look at it though. Still, every little bit counts right?

KZObsessed

Is it true that (ipod song question)
you have to get all 40 emblems to get the Snake Eater song??
Seems waaay excessive to me just for that, or is that just BS?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Narag said:
Octopus?

Boss spoilers:
Yeah you can but each fight is two stages. The latter portion is where they are unarmored and susceptible to such.

So, you can take down Laughing Bitch normally (Beast) then use Tranq in her Beauty mode? Will that count as a no kill and get the item?

Holy shit the Big Boss medal thing sounds insane.

Ploid 3.0

Kintaro said:

I just now finished the whole game with no lethal kills, and everything but gekko's and other robots with tranq guns. For the boss you get a statue + the first frogs fight in act 1. All of the statues = a solar gun that collects light and do something. I haven't started over yet to test it.

Kintaro said:
So, you can take down Laughing Bitch normally (Beast) then use Tranq in her Beauty mode? Will that count as a no kill and get the item?

If you kill the beast form with lethal weapons you won't get the statue but it won't count as a kill if you take out the human form with a blue weapon

andrewfee said:
Couldn't he tell [that the biomort was Solidus] from the fact that it was the wrong eye missing?
Good point. Though to be fair you might not notice if you're not paying attention or have no reason to believe otherwise. For example, none of the players in this thread seemed to notice, and the later reveal caught them by surprise. In any case it's definitely true that
how much "Liquid Ocelot" is an act and how much it's really compelling Adamska's behavior isn't made clear.

traveler

Not Wario
FFObsessed said:

Yes, that's true. (According to the guide.) It, apparently, has some pretty nice effects, though.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I just now finished the whole game with no lethal kills, and everything but gekko's and other robots with tranq guns. For the boss you get a statue + the first frogs fight in act 1. All of the statues = a solar gun that collects light and do something. I haven't started over yet to test it.

If you kill the beast form with lethal weapons you won't get the statue but it won't count as a kill if you take out the human form with a blue weapon

That's what I was looking for. Thank you.

Ploid 3.0

FFObsessed said:

Maybe the song itself does something special when you hold someone up. Each song pretty much have a special effect in this game. It's even possible the song will keep snakes health rapidly climbing and stress/psych gages full.

SnakeXs

traveler said:
I haven't used it yet, so I wouldn't know. The guide did mention those drawbacks now that I look at it though. Still, every little bit counts right?

Oh absolutely, but to people doing a Big Boss Rank Extreme run shouldn't expect a win button. :p

KZObsessed

Ploid 3.0 said:
Maybe the song itself does something special when you hold someone up. Each song pretty much have a special effect in this game. It's even possible the song will keep snakes health rapidly climbing and stress/psych gages full.

ahh. I didn't know about the songs having special effects. :lol I need to get the guide, there's so many extras and unlockables.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
i on my second play through on big boss hard. this game is infinitely deep, i can't see myself doing a full run without ever getting caught + no kills. i am trying not to kill anyone though. so far so good. even passed the frogs section without killing.

where is this guide people are talking about.

i just finished a no kill no alert run, ill do a chaff grenade and ammo run prior to doing the where ill run and gun everything for fun (havent done that yet). BIG BOSS run doesnt sound too hard, bosses shouldnt be that much trouble. using the rail gun on Rage and Crying kills them right quick then tranq them later. mantis is a joke.

suikodan

Just finished the game.
Ending was a little long but everything was epic. Happy to know that Snake doesn't die, I was sure he would...

The big question I have is simple: how come the MGS theme (the same "theme" heard in MGS1-3) wasn't in this one? I mean, it's not there AT ALL... Was it related to that Russian symphony that was played to Kojima and made him afraid of legal issues???? I really wanted it to be in the game.

Farnack

Banned
Shinz Kicker said:
where is this guide people are talking about.

i just finished a no kill no alert run, ill do a chaff grenade and ammo run prior to doing the where ill run and gun everything for fun (havent done that yet). BIG BOSS run doesnt sound too hard, bosses shouldnt be that much trouble. using the rail gun on Rage and Crying kills them right quick then tranq them later. mantis is a joke.
Where are the chaff grenades?

Oh, the only problem you'll have with Big Boss hard or The Boss Extreme is the last fight. I tried 50 times to do finally finish it.

SnakeXs

BlueTsunami said:
Where are you now with your Big Boss run? Or have you already completed it :D ?

Not done yet. Expected to play non stop the last few days but stuff came up. I believe most of the hardest is over, however. Bosses aside.

Facing Octopus right now.

Protip: Do not CQC FROGs on expert. :lol

Farnack

Banned
gbovo said:
Anyone want to tell me how to beat Screaming Mantis? I've been trying for the last 2 days :(
Inject yourself with syringe, shoot dolls, tranq meryl when she's being used (the cutscene part), grab red doll and use it on mantis.

MGRexbrid.gif

Did anyone ever figure out where to get this?

joesmokey

D: Well it's finally over. I tried to delay the ending as much as I could take it but I finally had to beat it tonight.

What a phenomenal game. I don't really have much to say yet as I still need time to digest it, but this is definitely one of the greatest games I've ever played.

The ending
was incredibly long, but the cinematography was amazing. All of the shots in the graveyard scenes were just breathtaking with the lighting and the artwork.

The story did get to be a bit too much at the end graveyard scene with Big Boss, but it was still worth watching. I'm glad I stuck around until the end of the credits for the final voice over lines.

I'm not sure if I'll replay it right away or not as my backlog is huge, but I haven't felt this strongly to go back through the single-player portion again for a long time.

And about all I can say is HOLY SHIT at the number of people working on the game in the credits, just wow.

Amazing job Kojima, congrats at finishing your masterpiece

dk_

Just finished it.

What an EPIC piece of software. Definitely a goty contencder with GTA4. Yes, it's between these two so far...

Superb game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom