• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
dk_ said:
Just finished it.

What an EPIC piece of software. Definitely a goty contencder with GTA4. Yes, it's between these two so far...

Superb game.

angerdome0d316.gif

Oh haha. I just found out if you lay down an Emotion magazine the enemy will take on the emotion of whichever lady's page is open. Just like the emotion smoke grenade and bullets. Shoulda figured...:lol

Slackbladder said:
Are there any hidden codec frequencies to find? All there is officially are Otacons and Rosemarys frequencies.

I have to think there are; I mean, the entire frequency range is selectable. But nobody has reported finding anything yet. I'm half inclined to pause during an alert and check the entire range one by one.

jaaz

So, I just started the game tonight (late, I know). Easily the best computer or console game I've ever played, and I've been playing games since the days of the Apple II+, Atari 2600, Commodore 64, etc. That is all.

No_Style said:
Dies down isn't the phrase I'd use to describe the momentum going through Act 4.

I just finished Act 4 and I have renewed love for the game. At the end of Act 3, despite the awesome cutscene with all the action, and the long briefing.. I felt the game was slumping pretty bad. In fact, despite the whole Shadow Moses nostalgia, I felt it was very weak with regards to gameplay. But after the Gekko comes in and you had to protect Otacon... It picks right up and just runs with it. Piloting Rex felt awesome!

The entire gameplay segment of Act 4 put the scale and power of the Metal Gears into prospective.

Also, question about Naomi:

Sorry if this was addressed, but what's up with Naomi and Vamp? I know they're being kept alive by nanomachines, but why the feeling up and all that?

First off, Act 4 was fucking amazing. Dude, I didn't even
go through the hangar door, i went the original way of the vent. Got DP for a flashback, too. I was a bit disappointed to see that they didn't have the water in the air duct like part one, but every other part was so amazingly true to part 1 that I had to be the happiest kid ever lol. I played through all of Act 4 using the young snake with bandanna facecamo [and alot more lol.]

As for your Naomi question:
As far as I can tell, Naomi had to act like she was into Vamp. Vamp's a weird dude. Into that kinda stuff. She had to convince him, so she played along. *shrug*

traveler

Not Wario
belvedere said:
After completing the game is it not possible to start a new game with the camera?

You get all your old stuff when you meet up with the Mk II in Act 1, so I'd assume you'd get your camera then as well.

belvedere

Junior Butler
traveler said:
You get all your old stuff when you meet up with the Mk II in Act 1, so I'd assume you'd get your camera then as well.

Ok, I was wondering if/when a certain event would trigger it.

Thanks.

Can i get the solor gun on an easy play through? After two stealth runs through the game, i would much rather play a balls to the wall fire fight and get those emblems and then try to get the statues.

traveler

Not Wario
Gamer @ Heart said:
Can i get the solor gun on an easy play through? After two stealth runs through the game, i would much rather play a balls to the wall fire fight and get those emblems and then try to get the statues.

Yup. Just be sure to go non-lethal on the Beast phases. (and be sure to find the statue before you kill the Beauties since you'll leave the area the statue spawns in right as the battle is over.)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Gamer @ Heart said:

I'm doing this right now. Getting the Statues AND doing a "No Alert" "No Kill" run.

BlueTsunami said:
I'm doing this right now. Getting the Statues AND doing a "No Alert" "No Kill" run.

Im on Act 5, and doing the same. But since i wanted to see certain cutscenes again, i carelessly over steeped the time limitsfor the emblems so now im forced to finish the rest of it on Big Boss Hard and getting nothing for it : (

BlueTsunami said:
I just finished my second run of the game doing this on Liquid Easy. Now I have lots of toys to play with. I also made sure to get 50 CQC and 50 Knife stuns for the Altair costume. I'm not sure I wanna do a Big Boss run right after this. So instead I'm going for an emblem run. I know one needs over 30 hours for one playthrough and one has like more than 41 continues. So I'll take my time this run. See the maximum number of emblems I can get with this.

1stStrike

Banned
Unlockable ipod songs and what they do:

iPod songs

Successfully complete the indicated task to unlock the corresponding song on Snake's iPod. Certain songs have an additional secret effect when played during the game.

Beyond the Bounds: In Act 4: Shadow Moses, Tank Hangar, after power is restored, return to the upper catwalk, and explore all the rooms. This song increases stun damage done by Snake from non-lethal weapons.

Big Boss: Get the Big Boss Emblem. This song increases stun damage and Snake's accuracy.

Bio-hazard: In Act 3: Europe, Midtown, hold-up a resistance soldier and body search him. This song causes soldiers held by Snake to scream.

Destiny's Call: Received randomly from an allied or neutral militia or rebel soldier after Snake gives them a healing item. This song causes soldiers held by Snake to become enraged.

Flowing Destiny: In Act 4: Shadow Moses, Canyon, before leaving the canyon area, examine the rocky walls for a hole hiding the song. This song causes soldiers held by Snake to weep.

The Fury: In Act 2: South America, Cove Valley Village, search inside the fire-ravaged house. This song causes soldiers held by Snake to become enraged.

MGS 4 Love Theme/Action: Received randomly from an allied or neutral militia or rebel soldier after Snake gives them a healing item. This song causes soldiers held by Snake to weep.

Opening - Old L.A. 2040: In Act 4: Shadow Moses, Nuclear Warhead Storage B2, input "78925" into Otacon's lab computer. This song increases Snake's accuracy.

Policenaughts Ending: In Act 4 Shadow Moses, Nuclear Warhead Storage B2, enter "13462" into Otacon's lab computer. This song causes soldiers held by Snake to fall asleep when touched.

Rock Me: In Act 2: South America, Confinement Facility, search the island in the south-eastern quadrant. This song increases the amount of life recovered from items and other means.

Sailor: In Act 2 South America, Vista Mansion, look between the east wall and a cargo container. This song increases the amount of life recovered from items and other means.

Show Time: Received randomly from an allied or neutral militia or rebel soldier after Snake gives them a healing item. This song causes soldiers held by Snake to scream.

Snake Eater: Get all 40 game clear Emblems. This song increases the amount of life recovered from items and other means.

Subsistence: Play one game of Metal Gear Online, starting the match with at least two players. This song increases Snake's accuracy.

JPBrowncoat said:
I just finished my second run of the game doing this on Liquid Easy. Now I have lots of toys to play with. I also made sure to get 50 CQC and 50 Knife stuns for the Altair costume. I'm not sure I wanna do a Big Boss run right after this. So instead I'm going for an emblem run. I know one needs over 30 hours for one playthrough and one has like more than 41 continues. So I'll take my time this run. See the maximum number of emblems I can get with this.

Go for head shots and kills too. Also, roll 200 times and leave snake prone and hugging a wall seperatly for an hour each.

No_Style

fullmetalht said:
First off, Act 4 was fucking amazing. Dude, I didn't even
go through the hangar door, i went the original way of the vent. Got DP for a flashback, too. I was a bit disappointed to see that they didn't have the water in the air duct like part one, but every other part was so amazingly true to part 1 that I had to be the happiest kid ever lol. I played through all of Act 4 using the young snake with bandanna facecamo [and alot more lol.]

As for your Naomi question:
As far as I can tell, Naomi had to act like she was into Vamp. Vamp's a weird dude. Into that kinda stuff. She had to convince him, so she played along. *shrug*

I did the same thing with the ducts! When Snake looked at that security camera, it was a very sentimental moment. Like I said, the nostalgia was awesome, but I guess it wasn't enough of a jolt to "wake me" from the long cutscenes segement prior to it.

I too played through Act IV with Young Snake w/Bandana.. :lol.

That's a probable reason as to why Naomi was acting like that...

Gamer @ Heart said:
Go for head shots and kills too. Also, roll 200 times and leave snake prone and hugging a wall seperatly for an hour each.
Oh I got my headshots on my first run. :D
This is what I have so far:
Emblems
Lots of gaps to fill. Doing a Big Boss run should fill in those top five I think?

Atomspike

I'm on my second playtrough and Oh man! graphically , the middle east act looks way better than the other acts , the latest acts just look so flat and sterile in comparison .

I don't understand how to beat bosses (like Laughing Octopus) non-lethally. Can someone tell me how? I've never played a MGS before this one (well, for more than a demo).

Absinthe said:
I don't understand how to beat bosses (like Laughing Octopus) non-lethally. Can someone tell me how? I've never played a MGS before this one (well, for more than a demo).
Expanding on this, is it considering killing a boss before they
shed their armor?
. I've been using lethal force up until then, and then using tranq darts.

SabinFigaro said:
Expanding on this, is it considering killing a boss before they
shed their armor?
. I've been using lethal force up until then, and then using tranq darts.

No, you can blast them in their armor with what ever you got, just make sure to tranq them when they are our of it otherwise it will count as a kill.

Barakov

Absinthe said:

You can use any weapon on their first form. When they shed their suit use the tranquilizer gun. It's colored blue in your inventory instead of orange.

Atomspike said:
I'm on my second playtrough and Oh man! graphically , the middle east act looks way better than the other acts , the latest acts just look so flat and sterile in comparison .

I thought Act2 was the best looking personally. I even discovered an new area in my second playthrough, the salt flats, which were pretty cool and unique.

Euphor!a

Banned
Not sure if this is mentioned yet but in regards to Raging Raven...

Act 3 spoilers

During the motorcycle chase Raven is chasing you throughout the last area, if you shoot her with a grenade launcher she takes damage, one shot did 1/4 damage and you have at least 4 oppurtunities to hit her. I was only able to hit her once, but has anyone hit her more than that or maybe even killed her before her actual fight? If so what happens if anything?

Barakov said:
You can use any weapon on their first form. When they shed their suit use the tranquilizer gun. It's colored blue in your inventory instead of orange.

Do non lethal rounds for the shot gun work on them to? I havent heard ay mention of that type of ammo against a boss.

mileS

Barakov said:

wait I thought people were saying the opposite? I was under the impression you had to tranq them in the beast form as well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing through the game again and trying to be stealthy this time.

I am even more blown away by how amazing this game is on the 2nd playthrough. Now that I have mastered the controls and am used to the mechanics, I am noticing a lot of stuff that I looked over on my first playthrough. This game seriously has the best presentation of any game, ever. So far it is the only game this generation that has fully lived up to and surpassed my expectations.

I am a total Metal Gear fanboy, but I don't think there will be a game or a series that will even compare to Metal Gear Solid for a long, long time. I think I will go back and play the series in chronological order after I finish my 2nd playthrough.

Damn, what an amazing piece of entertainment.

finished it this morning after playing it all night for 15 hours straight.

fucking amazing, but probably one of the most depressing games ever. GotY no contest.

traveler

Not Wario
Lifeonmars? said:
What's the tune that makes the BB and Sunny dance and how do you get it?

Oishii Chuhan Seikatsu. You have it from the beginning.

Edit: You have to tranq them in the beginning if you want the figurines for the
Solar Gun
but it's not a necessity for a no kill run so long as you tranq them in phase 2.

Dragon

Banned
disappeared said:
finished it this morning after playing it all night for 15 hours straight.

fucking amazing, but probably one of the most depressing games ever. GotY no contest.

What's depressing about it? Or are you talking about the fact there won't be any more games in the series?

daegan

Gamer @ Heart said:
No, you can blast them in their armor with what ever you got, just make sure to tranq them when they are our of it otherwise it will count as a kill.

Note: This approach will not yield the special item
doll

For the few people who were complaining a few pages back about the jokes on switching discs. I still found them funny. Don't compare it to installs and complain, rather look at them as throwbacks to MGS1. There were a ton of funny things added in
(hell the whole 4th act was a major throwback to MGS1 and I loved every second of it, including the voice playbacks.)

Dragon

Banned
Agemo_GB said:
I think he might be talking about the overall mood and tone possibly lol.

Besides the ending cutscene with Snake, we see Meryl married to Johnny (ugh to that one), a nice father-daughter type moment with Otacon and Sunny. We see Raiden happy with his family, accepted by his son, loved by his wife.

Sure Snake's story is depressing to a certain extent. But it's also admirable, and impressive. The amount of dedication he shows (and really Ocelot should be applauded here as well because he went even above and beyond Snake IMO) is great. Sure dying or the presence of death that lurked in the final two acts can be depressing (Naomi's death and Otacon's reaction, while somewhat cringe-worthy is such a moment). But Snake was accepted and garnered the respect from the one person he never thought he could. He set out to do something, he did it.

I don't think Snake's story is depressing if you just take it as he only has three months to live, it's more like he was a tool used his entire life and it sucks that he only has a short time to live life the way he wants to.

Maybe that's just me though, certain parts are depressing, but endings are going to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom