• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

eso76

couldn't EVA tell
she'd been protecting the wrong corpse all this time ? didn't she friggin' notice the missing eye was the wrong one ? that and big boss was killed by snake at least 7 years earlier than Solidus, how did she find that corpse and how could she believe it was BB's after all those years ? Yet that's what she must have believed for jumping into the fire to protect it

Dragon

Banned
eso76 said:
couldn't EVA tell
she'd been protecting the wrong corpse all this time ? didn't she friggin' notice the missing eye was the wrong one ? that and big boss was killed by snake at least 7 years earlier than Solidus, how did she find that corpse and how could she believe it was BB's after all those years ? Yet that's what she must have believed for jumping into the fire to protect it

I'm pretty sure she was in a league with Liquid in order to trick the Patriots.

I know this is the MGS4 thread but I just had to thank everyone who convinced me to play MGS3 before jumping into 4. What a spectacular, spectacular game. Maybe my expectations were just low after the wonky MGS2 but I can think of few games that I enjoyed as much or touched me like Snake Eater has. Now on to the Patriots...

*Bows to Kojima-san*

I just got done with the game. Don't want to say much besides the fact that it was nothing short of amazing.
And if this is in fact the final part of the Snake storyline I'm not going to complain about it. It was quite a ride.

Barakov said:
You can use any weapon on their first form. When they shed their suit use the tranquilizer gun. It's colored blue in your inventory instead of orange.
What's the special item you get for using the tranq gun?
The first one i actually shot at, didnt think much of it. Then the next ones i figured "hey! might as well just tranq them" and of course i didnt get crap at the end cuz i screwed up on the first. Yet another excuse to give it another play through.

dralla

devilchicken said:
What's the special item you get for using the tranq gun?
The first one i actually shot at, didnt think much of it. Then the next ones i figured "hey! might as well just tranq them" and of course i didnt get crap at the end cuz i screwed up on the first. Yet another excuse to give it another play through.

If you tranq them in Beast form you can pick up their statues which unlocks a special weapon if you collect them all, if you tranq them in Human form you get special FaceCamo

Hmm. I destroyed
3 Gekko's during the South american escape sequence (the very end dash) and immediately got an ipod track...but since I was rapid-firing the railgun I missed which track it was. Is this one of the triggers for getting an ipod track, or did I just stumble on the right location, I wonder...

Farnack said:
Sunny dances?

If you
play the the oishii two-han sekaitsu song on your ipod, and then pause the game, the plane cam will switch to Sunny dancing in the kitchen.
:lol

And just for anyone who doesn't know, you can stack
batteries
across playthroughs. Er...maybe that's not really a spoiler. In any case, certainly does change things when you have 6+ of them.

rcua1884

Saint Gregory said:
I know this is the MGS4 thread but I just had to thank everyone who convinced me to play MGS3 before jumping into 4. What a spectacular, spectacular game. Maybe my expectations were just low after the wonky MGS2 but I can think of few games that I enjoyed as much or touched me like Snake Eater has. Now on to the Patriots...

*Bows to Kojima-san*

I'm glad you did that. I also played through MGS3 just before getting into 4. There are some sequences in this game that you will appreciate so much more with MGS3 fresh in your mind.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
rcua1884 said:
I'm glad you did that. I also played through MGS3 just before getting into 4. There are some sequences in this game that you will appreciate so much more with MGS3 fresh in your mind.

Fuck yeah especially
When you are fighting Liquid Ocelot at his 3rd phase, oh man that part is fucking awesome.

1stStrike

Banned
The
motorcycle chase
is extremely gay on the boss extreme. It has nothing to do with skill at this point..it's just luck. I've died about 10 times on the 2nd part so far. Two hits and you have less than 1/4 life left. And somehow I'm expected to make it through this whole thing.

This shit is irritating.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
1stStrike said:
The
motorcycle chase
is extremely gay on the boss extreme. It has nothing to do with skill at this point..it's just luck. I've died about 10 times on the 2nd part so far. Two hits and you have less than 1/4 life left. And somehow I'm expected to make it through this whole thing.

This shit is irritating.

Well good thing I won't be playing on that difficulty, I would hate to drive my self mad because of something like that.

Ashhong

shit, i fell asleep at the ending!

can someone recap what happens after
snake meets big boss? last thing i remember seeing is zero in a wheelchair? also, why did it say naked snake when i was fighting liquid? was it just a throw back to mgs3?

dralla said:
If you tranq them in Beast form you can pick up their statues which unlocks a special weapon if you collect them all, if you tranq them in Human form you get special FaceCamo

actually, im pretty sure u can just pick up the statues without tranqs. i found the mantis statue and never tranqed her.

rcua1884

Ashhong said:
shit, i fell asleep at the ending!

can someone recap what happens after
snake meets big boss? last thing i remember seeing is zero in a wheelchair? also, why did it say naked snake when i was fighting liquid? was it just a throw back to mgs3?

actually, im pretty sure u can just pick up the statues without tranqs. i found the mantis statue and never tranqed her.

Regarding the final battle:
The fight with Liquid Ocelot plays out as a progressive transformation from Liquid Snake (with the MGS1 music and health bar) to Revolver Ocelot (with the MGS3 music and health bar). The entire fight can be seen as a metaphor of Ocelot's true loyalty and identity. In the end, it's Revolver Ocelot having one last hurrah against Big Boss's last living legacy.

dralla said:
Oh alright. I didnt know about the statues. I made a point of not reading much about the game before hand and now i realize how much i missed about the game on my first play through. But that was expected so it's not a big deal.
Will pick up the LE from BB or amazon sometime soon. Gotta find out about all those medals I didn't get.

And just for anyone who doesn't know, you can stack
batteries
across playthroughs. Er...maybe that's not really a spoiler. In any case, certainly does change things when you have 6+ of them.
WTF, there are those in the game too? :lol I didn't find any on my first time.

gbovo

Just finished the game. This was my first MGS game, though I've known about the series since MGS1. What more can I say, it's the best game released this generation and one of the greateset games of all time.

Baryn

Banned
Best game ever, period, it's done. And I've only played through once. Any MGS truly begins once you've acquired Stealth Camo :D

dalin80

Banned
dralla said:

I didnt tranq the beast form of
mantis
and still got the model and unlocked the weapon.

eso76

TheBranca18 said:
I'm pretty sure she was in a league with Liquid in order to trick the Patriots.

hmm. Not very convincing in fact she gets
killed by liquid's men in the chase, and jumps in the fire to protect the corpse
let's just say Kojima screwd several parts of the story for plot twists sake.

Sasaki ?
how was he even able to use weapons without nanomachines in him ? actually i believe we never see him actually fire a weapon, he only sets traps afaik ( but isn't *every* piece of equipment id locked anyway ? ) oh well, still, if nanomachines are supposed to give constant informations about a soldier's status, someone must have noticed there were no infos about him anywhere. Yeah, he mentions updating data manually, but that's kind of a stretch.

and i still don't get liquid/ocelot purpose and how things develop into that
letting us know he kind of fights for the same reasons as snake in the end puts everything that has happened until then in discussion. couldn't they just let him be the evil guy till the end ?

There's a few parts of the story which are not very clear to me, but admittedly i didn't pay close attention at all times, i'm starting the game again today.

Farnack

Banned
You guys...

You can't tranq
Screaming Mantis
at all. She's an exception since she requires a special way to beat her.
eso76 said:
hmm. Not very convincing in fact she gets
killed by liquid's men in the chase, and jumps in the fire to protect the corpse
let's just say Kojima screwd several parts of the story for plot twists sake.
Kojima never screws up.

Eva thought Liquid really did take over Ocelot. Ocelot was very convincing and he did a pretty good job turning himself into Liquid. Try watching the ending again.

devilchicken said:
WTF, there are those in the game too? :lol I didn't find any on my first time.

They are basically all in
the plane during the mission briefings. Although unlike Snake Eater, they just extend how long your meter lasts; they don't work like "extra" meters, per se.

Well...what do you know? The
M82 does kill multiple people standing in a row with one shot. I see how it got the Kojima seal of approval.
:lol

And Kerotan rears his frog head again. This time on the side of eastern european phone booths!

dk_

dralla said:

You tranq them in beast form? That would take forever. Can you lower their energy with a normal gun first?

How can you get the Frog Soldier statue?

2qwevzc.gif

Where is that from?

SumGamer

Elbrain said:
Fuck yeah especially
When you are fighting Liquid Ocelot at his 3rd phase, oh man that part is fucking awesome.

If I remember it right,
during that part the life guage turn to say 'Ocelot' instead of 'Liquid Ocelot'
. I coulda mistaken though. But that part was awesome, esp
the kiss
Ocelot
is really a someone to respect after all that
_he
gone through.

Fucking amazing game. Mind blowings. I also did cry last night, it was a mix of lots of emotion.

BTW, how do I flip through the Playboy magazine. I really wanna see the whole
BB magazine

Steroyd

Ashhong said:

but you can't use tranqs or any conventional weapon on her. She's an exception to the norm.

I'm still trying to come to terms with this game. It just totally floored me in all aspects, I've only finished it once but I will play it again. I'm going to take some more time away from gaming all together and write down my thoughts in detail later on.

So much for me to digest.

I just wished that they played "Metal gear Saga" more throughout the game. Beyond epic the moments it was used.

magus

SumGamer said:
BTW, how do I flip through the Playboy magazine. I really wanna see the whole
BB magazine

The playboy is a "weapon" so you must hold l1 + r1 then go into first person mode with triangle and then press circle to flip the pages.

Steroyd

dk_ said:
You tranq them in beast form? That would take forever. Can you lower their energy with a normal gun first?

How can you get the Frog Soldier statue?

No.

Don't kill the frogs in the Rat Patrol part in Act 1.

1stStrike

Banned
Jesus christ. The fucking gunners in the
motorcycle chase
are fucking impossible, I swear. 3/4 of their bodies are covered by the front of the turret and getting a headshot while you're bouncing all over the fucking place is pretty impossible. Hell, hitting them at all is pretty impossible. And 2 hits from them and I'm dead.

What the fuck ><

Stun grenades don't seem to affect them and hitting them with the tranq is a fucking miracle. There's gotta be a better way.

Edit: Going for 0 kills in this is pretty stupid...you just don't reload the tranq pistol fast enough to deal with the numbers of enemies you're facing. 4 frogs and a guy on a turret in front of me..and if i get hit twice i'm dead.

*finds something to punch*

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Jtrizzy said:
How do you use the
Tanegashima rifle

as seen in this video(spoilers): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkvs9za6VdE

It doesn't do that when I use it...

Has like a 1/10 chance to do that or so.

Slight set back to my Big Boss Extreme run. Beat Octopus, and checked MB and I somehow had a kill. Either Extreme counts
Phase 1 of the Beast fights, or either one of Octopus' explosions killed one of the FROGs, or I accidentally hit one, or during the tracking scene I put a guy to sleep, ran next to him and set off a Claymore, which killed him. Something weird was counted. Back at the Mansion, though. Should be done tomorrow, I hope. Unless I test and find out I have to beat both Beauty phases on Extreme. :\

Ploid 3.0

1stStrike said:
Jesus christ. The fucking gunners in the
motorcycle chase
are fucking impossible, I swear. 3/4 of their bodies are covered by the front of the turret and getting a headshot while you're bouncing all over the fucking place is pretty impossible. Hell, hitting them at all is pretty impossible. And 2 hits from them and I'm dead.

What the fuck ><

Stun grenades don't seem to affect them and hitting them with the tranq is a fucking miracle. There's gotta be a better way.

I used lock on and curled into the fetal position. I don't see how people get 0 saves, continues, kills, and use 0 restorative items in big boss extreme for this section alone. Although I did finally get lucky, and passed this without using a restorative item by some fluke (big boss hard mode, no kill run).

Steroyd

dk_ said:
Can you be more specific? Should I tranq or evade them? When and how is the trophy given to me?

Sorry was on my PSP before.

You have to tranq them so the rat patrol go forward, CQC knockouts is an option as well.

The trophy is at the end after you jump down the elevator shaft in the car park, best to equip the Solid Eye incase you miss it which can be very easy to do.

When you are spotted on a no alert run, do you have to load or is it possible to die and continue?

Continues are counted in the stats so I assume you'd have to re-load the game.

On that note if you go to the save option you can click on "Go to title screen" and exit that way instead of Quitting the game and re-loading it, i'm still pissed off that I didn't spot that until halfway through my non-kill non-alert run. :mad:

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Jtrizzy said:
Another question: What is the difference between the vertical grips (A and B) that you customize your weapons with?

I believe it's just visual. None of the stat indicators show any difference, but I may be wrong.

dk_ said:
When you are spotted on a no alert run, do you have to load or is it possible to die and continue?

Save - Return to Title Screen - Yes

Learn it, love it. :lol

1stStrike

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
I used lock on and curled into the fetal position. I don't see how people get 0 saves, continues, kills, and use 0 restorative items in big boss extreme for this section alone. Although I did finally get lucky, and passed this without using a restorative item by some fluke (big boss hard mode, no kill run).

I enabled lock on, but it doesn't work very well. It's clunky and slow and by the time it actually locks on, it's too late. And going first person is impossible, cause everytime I go to aim and shoot I end up with
Eva's fucking head
in my way and snake won't shoot.

I've been at it for about an hour and a half now with something like 25 replays on just this section alone. Even when I tranq the first two turrets, I end up overwhelmed by all the frogs and turrets up ahead. Can't tranq them fast enough and stun grenades take too long to throw and go off..I"m usually past them by that time (and dead a second or two after that).

Garrrr..if I can only get past this section I shouldn't have too many problems with the rest.

Do people actually know about the vortex rounds for the shotguns? It seems like people are only using the tranq gun for non-lethal boss kills, which definitely isn't the best way to do it in most cases.

Ceb

Gamer @ Heart said:
Do non lethal rounds for the shot gun work on them to? I havent heard ay mention of that type of ammo against a boss.

They work great, since your shots do more damage and can knock them down.

magus

1stStrike said:
I enabled lock on, but it doesn't work very well. It's clunky and slow and by the time it actually locks on, it's too late. And going first person is impossible, cause everytime I go to aim and shoot I end up with
Eva's fucking head

I've been at it for about an hour and a half now with something like 25 replays on just this section alone. Even when I tranq the first two turrets, I end up overwhelmed by all the frogs and turrets up ahead. Can't tranq them fast enough and stun grenades take too long to throw and go off..I"m usually past them by that time (and dead a second or two after that).

Garrrr..if I can only get past this section I shouldn't have too many problems with the rest.

Use Stun Grenades and the Twin Barrel Shotgun with V.Ring ammo (air bullets) for large groups. If you see a large group coming up toss a grenade and it will stun them as you pass by.

Ploid 3.0

1stStrike said:
I enabled lock on, but it doesn't seem to be taking affect. And going first person is impossible, cause everytime I go to aim and shoot I end up with
Eva's fucking head

Yeah, don't bother with stun I think. When you are in lock on mode it usually a body shot. I use the shoot it and forget it method, unless I have nonthing to shoot at. The things on the van usually fall off with one or two hits. It's all luck unless you ... what if those flawless runs use the solar gun? With lock on they would be one shot knockout.

[magus]

I never thought about using that. A lot of weapons were locked. Nice.

Kuroyume

Banned
I just started the game yesterday. I'm impressed with it. It looks so freaking good on my SDTV.

Anyway, I have a question... If a guard sees me and tries going into alert mode and I knock him out cold with a CQC move before other soldiers are alerted, will that count at the end of the game as an alert in the stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom