• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stStrike

Banned
magus said:
Use Stun Grenades and the Twin Barrel Shotgun with V.Ring ammo (air bullets) for large groups. If you see a large group coming up toss a grenade and it will stun them as you pass by.

The shotty is nice, but stun grenades aren't my friends. I throw them up ahead and all it does is serve to blind me, seems to not even affect the frogs and I still die. Also, as I pass by these two turrets they randomly blow up this car that takes a bunch of my health (or kills me).

This whole section is pretty lame.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
the crying wolf fight in the snow is driving me crazy.

what's the best way to kill her, with all the frogs running around?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Kuroyume said:
I just started the game yesterday. I'm impressed with it. It looks so freaking good on my SDTV.

Anyway, I have a question... If a guard sees me and tries going into alert mode and I knock him out cold with a CQC move before other soldiers are alerted, will that count at the end of the game as an alert in the stats?

Yes.

dabookerman said:
Hi everyone.. Is everyone having fun playing GOTF :mad:
Any gaffers managed to get Big Boss rank?

I just saved at the end of Act 2. The rest should be fairly breezy, I hope to be done tomorrow.

eso76 said:
hmm. Not very convincing in fact she gets
killed by liquid's men in the chase, and jumps in the fire to protect the corpse
let's just say Kojima screwd several parts of the story for plot twists sake.

and i still don't get liquid/ocelot purpose and how things develop into that
letting us know he kind of fights for the same reasons as snake in the end puts everything that has happened until then in discussion. couldn't they just let him be the evil guy till the end ?

There's a few parts of the story which are not very clear to me, but admittedly i didn't pay close attention at all times, i'm starting the game again today.

Big boss says it at the end that what truly killed Eva was the new strain of fox die.

Also, Liquid/Ocelot were never really the bad guy, just playing one. Snake was helped by the patriots to destroy him as well as his plans,but in the end ended up destroying themselves. And by themselves i mean the 4 AI. The last fight was just the old ocelot's will coming out again over liquid's, but the foxdie finished hi to.

mattiewheels said:

well i assume you have the night vision goggles on and follow her footsteps. i just used any machine gun and it was pretty simple. I just beat her on my 2nd playthrough with a tranq gun and it didn't take very long.

Steroyd

Kuroyume said:
I just started the game yesterday. I'm impressed with it. It looks so freaking good on my SDTV.

Anyway, I have a question... If a guard sees me and tries going into alert mode and I knock him out cold with a CQC move before other soldiers are alerted, will that count at the end of the game as an alert in the stats?

If you see an alert bar at the top, even if it dissappears straight away it's still counted.

Surreal

mattiewheels said:

I made my way to the big tower in the middle of the map and made a little camp on the highest floor. Then it was a sniping battle!

dabookerman said:
Hi everyone.. Is everyone having fun playing GOTF :mad:
Any gaffers managed to get Big Boss rank?

I have been following this thread pretty religiously and have yet to see it, so no. a couple are on their attempts though.

No health items is a bitch and i dont know how anyone can do it.

Gamer @ Heart said:
I have been following this thread pretty religiously and have yet to see it, so no. a couple are on their attempts though.

*Ahem* From a few pages back. :p

Doc Evils said:
Found this on an other forum:

2re5is3.jpg

:eek:

I couldn't believe it either.

mattiewheels said:

All I did was hide under the truck and equipped the night vision Solid-Eye, after which it was alternating between sniping the Frogs and Crying Wolf. I barely even got hurt in that battle, though it did take a bit of time. I thought the battle was a lot easier compared to the first two bosses actually (I tranq. killed both forms... cause I thought that was the only way to get the masks :s).

criesofthepast said:
well i assume you have the night vision goggles on and follow her footsteps. i just used any machine gun and it was pretty simple. I just beat her on my 2nd playthrough with a tranq gun and it didn't take very long.

Yep. Just put the frogs to sleep infront of the starting area and the one on the tower and run aorund the right side of the map until you see a floating white speck. bucker down, pull out your strongest sniper rifle, take some Pentazine (sp), and you can hit her about 3 times for a 1/4th of her life. Dont kill frogs because they will just respawn. If you screw up and she charges you, simply grenade her with Ravens weapon and she fall.

Dr.Hadji

So MGS4 (thus far) is pretty much this.

Act
1- 2
no place to hide.
Act
stealth freestyle
Act
back to basics + nostalgia

I really can't believe Kojima and crew abandoned such awesomeness (gameplay wise) at the start of the game for what you get later. I new it would get lighter as the game progressed, I didn't think it would regress into almost playable theater.
I couldn't tell if Otacon having you remember the code was a through back to a previous game or a slight joke to the player, seeing as memorizing that code seemed like a major gameplay device compared to the other things you did while sneaking around an (nearly) EMPTY BASE.

Gamer @ Heart said:

I couldn't even get to the MK II without an alert phase hahah, let alone the whole game. Maybe if you could use the stealth camouflage it could be a bit easier but you can't use any special items, right? I'm having fun doing the no kill playthrough for the bandana and then i'll attempt the no alert phase one for the stealth camo; the other emblems don't seem to be worth the trouble.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

SumGamer

Dr.Hadji said:
I really can't believe Kojima and crew abandoned such awesomeness (gameplay wise) at the start of the game for what you get later. I new it would get lighter as the game progressed, I didn't think it would regress into almost playable theater.
I couldn't tell if Otacon having you remember the code was a through back to a previous game or a slight joke to the player, seeing as memorizing that code seemed like a major gameplay device compared to the other things you did while sneaking around an (nearly) EMPTY BASE.

It's purpose is to introduce you to the Octocamo. Learning to use that and you can hide almost anywhere.

1stStrike

Banned
Phew..I somehow got through it. Chapter 3 complete. Game time so far is 2 hours 42 minutes. Just gotta get through chapter 4 and 5 now and I should be able to get the big boss rank.

This shit is pretty masochistic.

SumGamer said:
It's purpose is to introduce you to the Octocamo. Learning to use that and you can hide almost anywhere.

But its rarely needed in Act 3, Not needed at all in act 4 because all the enemies are machines except for the boss fight, and needed in only 1 of act 5's 2 areas.

the gameplay really runs out of gas after those first two amazing acts.

1stStrike said:
Phew..I somehow got through it. Chapter 3 complete. Game time so far is 2 hours 42 minutes. Just gotta get through chapter 4 and 5 now and I should be able to get the big boss rank.

This shit is pretty masochistic.

Can you please share the details of how you overcame certain areas and bosses?

Didnt the chase scene in act 3 tear you apart?

I dunno, I loved how the gameplay changed throughout the game. And Acts 4 and 5 are actually my favorite, partly because of the nostalgia factor and partly because of the awesome events that happen late in the game (REX vs RAY, microwave hallway, and Snake vs Ocelot.

boco77

Banned
I cant get my head around this whole FOXDIE thing

The new strain I mean, surely Naomi knew it would kill the Big Mama/Liquid/Big Boss if Snake come into contact with them? Why wouldn't she tell him that it would kill them? Was she the only one that knew about what it would do? Especially when Ocelot/Big Mama and Naomi herself were trying to bring back Big Boss to begin with! Why kill him off then? This is the only part that confuses me about the plot.

Ashhong

boco77 said:

The new strain I mean, surely Naomi knew it would kill the Big Mama/Liquid/Big Boss if Snake come into contact with them? Why wouldn't she tell him that it would kill them? Was she the only one that knew about what it would do? Especially when Ocelot/Big Mama and Naomi herself were trying to bring back Big Boss to begin with! Why kill him off then? This is the only part that confuses me about the plot.

i didnt really get it either. however, i figure that the point of it all was to kill off all of the patriots right? well maybe she thought snake wouldnt do it or something and that it was easier this way

boco77 said:

I can understand your confusion. Naomi, new about the foxdie, but at the time of the second act, did not realize its intended targets. her focus was on the mutating old foxdie. When big boss, shows up at the end, he specifically mentions how naomi rexamined the new foxdie and learned its purpose, if i remember correctly. Either way, i think they were all ment to die according to their plan anyway. naomi didnt have to killher self, and big boss didnt have to show up at the cemetary, but they did because they needed to pass on.

1stStrike

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Can you please share the details of how you overcame certain areas and bosses?

Didnt the chase scene in act 3 tear you apart?

The hardest parts so far have been the two chase scenes where you're thrust into combat. I've died a lot of times on those spots. When you play on easier modes, there's room for errors and you can get away with just using one weapon. On the boss extreme though, you need to do just about everything perfect and in some cases, leave a bit to luck.

My dog was getting scared cause I was cursing at my tv during the 30 or 40 times I redid the act 3 chase scene.

The boss fights so far haven't been too hard. I died 3 times on the 2nd boss and like 8 times on the first boss. That death roll she does is pretty much a 1 hit kill on this difficulty, so I had to readjust my tactics so I can beat her.

Other than that, if you have any specific areas you'd like to know about feel free to ask. I'm working on act 4 atm, so maybe by tomorrow or the next day I'll have it beaten (this is my 3rd time through the game though, so it's not like I don't know what I'm doing).

Even so though, the boss extreme is..really..extreme. There's no room for fuck ups.

boco77

Banned
ok about the FOXDIE virus again

How come it was mutated to kill off those particular people, was it just a coincidence as it was just a mutation and you cant control that right..pretty big coincidence if it only happened to kill those people. Were the patriots involved in the new mutation somehow? I just find it hard to believe the new strain would only specifically target those people

boco77

Banned

How come it was mutated to kill off those particular people, was it just a coincidence as it was just a mutation and you cant control that right..pretty big coincidence if it only happened to kill those people. Were the patriots involved in the new mutation somehow? I just find it hard to believe the new strain would only specifically target those people

boco77

Banned

No, the foxdie that killed them was new. It was injected by drebin with the nanomachines. he was working for the patriots and by helping snake through him, the AI could achieve their goal of ridding the ex patriots.

SumGamer

boco77 said:

Thinking back to the research lab. Naomi asked Snake if he has been to the hospital or getting any injection recently. Something inside Snake is mutating FOXDIE. I dont think that has been explain in the game though, the only one who does that is Debrin. Was it an order from Patriot for Debrin?

I dont know.

Gamer @ Heart said:
No, the foxdie that killed them was new. It was injected by drebin with the nanomachines. he was working for the patriots and by helping snake through him, the AI could achieve their goal of ridding the ex patriots.

This is pretty much what I put together but it has never been confirmed, has it?

boco77 said:

The new FOXDIE was injected by Drebin if im correct, and he was working for Patriots.

boco77 said:

The new FOXDIE was injected by Drebin if im correct, and he was working for Patriots.

boco77 said:

HERE THEY COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *burp*

shagg_187 said:

HERE THEY COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *burp*
:lol

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
One thing I dont get about the Fox-die is how ocelot knew about the Snake says"Fox" Liquid says "Die" thing

I think Naomi knew by then, so he would know. That would explain why he fan away as fast as he did.

Steroyd

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
One thing I dont get about the Fox-die is how ocelot knew about the Snake says"Fox" Liquid says "Die" thing

Ocelot = Liquid

Until he syringes himself in the final fight.

mileS

MGS4 was totally raping my crap $30 headphones when it came to bass so I finally caved and got a new pair for $100.

I'm blown away right now. Everything sounds amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom