• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Brandon F said:
So this game is pretty much a lock for GAF GotY I presume?

The year has another 6 months to go.

Anyways, its the best thing so far this year, but at the same time, 3 of the 5 acts are "meh". So while another game this year may not hit the heights of MGS4 at its best, I find it hard to believe that something more consistently great won't come along before the end. Through Act 1 and 2, MGS4 is worthy of all the hype, but Act 3 thru 5 really are inferior.

Torquill

jjasper said:
This is the only thing that didn't make any sense to me.

It is mainly with the story. But this was bound to happen. It's a videogame series that had a continuous and interlinking storyline that spanned 7 games and 20 years there are bound to be plot holes.

One possible answer is the same reason for Ocelot's act, to fool the Patriots. Perhaps she knew she was dead from Foxdie already anyway and just wanted to put on a show.

Anyways, its the best thing so far this year, but at the same time, 3 of the 5 acts are "meh".
Really? I liked 4...
And that's on it's own merits as a sneaking exercise and the boss fights, not just because of where it was. It was cool that it was Shadow Moses, but I dind't have quite the uber hard-on some other folks here did for that particular element :p

tha_con

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
I see people are slowly losing their MGS4 highs. Its a great game, but its got some flaws.

Really? I see the same people posting over and over again complaining. Odd. The number isn't really growing.

The talk of the Ocelot shit is fucking stupid, if you don't get it, you really REALLY must have some troubles grasping basic concepts. Ocelot couldn't take the patroits head on. No one could, they controlled everything. But, if he could gain access to the system, he could take it out.

He turns the patriots against themselves. The Patriots use Snake to take out GW, they don't know that taking out GW will take them out as well. It's pretty fucking simple. It would have been harder for Ocelot to take them out himself, so he uses the Patriots (who use Snake) against themselves. They give snake weapons support and intel via Drebin. Basically snake, in a sense, was the Patriots 'foxdie' and they didn't even know it. They use him thinking he'll take out ocelot, while ocelot is playing him, knowing he'll eventually take out the patriots.

The Patriots Never Know that Ocelots goal is to take them out. The entire time they think he is trying to gain access to the system so he can control it, not destory it. Which is why they send Snake to kill him, to stop outerheaven.

Very simple. Get over it.

Solo said:
Through Act 1 and 2, MGS4 is worthy of all the hype, but Act 3 thru 5 really are inferior.

That may be your opinion. For me the last three Acts are even more awesome than the beginning of the game and I'm certanly not the only one who thinks so.

Aeonin

I think the story is quite flawed for sure. Its pretentious, its convoluted, its Metal Gear. I feel, in the realm of storytelling in videogames, its three steps forward and one step back. Overall I suppose I'm happy with it. But you can tell that they could've done much more.

I kind of wish we got an ending like the one from the suppose'd Escape from New York prequel. It would've kept the legend going in a great way. Honestly I was kind of hoping for something like that. But ya never know, I'm sure they'll think of something. They just have to get back to something more simplistic.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gamer @ Heart said:
I see people are slowly losing their MGS4 highs. Its a great game, but its got some flaws.
Nah, we just don't need to post repeatedly about the same things. Doesn't change the fact that this is the best game this year so far.

birdman

Torquill said:
Really? I liked 4...
And that's on it's own merits as a sneaking exercise and the boss fights, not just because of where it was. It was cool that it was Shadow Moses, but I dind't have quite the uber hard-on some other folks here did for that particular element :p

Not to mention how amazingly cinematic Act 3 became.

Solo

dermannmitdemcolt said:
That may be your opinion. For me the last three Acts are even more awesome than the beginning of the game and I'm certanly not the only one who thinks so.

Of course its my opinion - who else's would it be?

I can't picture anyone enjoying following that resistance member for 20 minutes in Act 3. I couldn't get past the fanservice in Act 4, and as for Act 5, you barely play at all.

Act 1 and Act 2 are solid gold, though, no complaints there.

Guled

I don't see why people don't like the last 3 acts. I know the gamplay changed, but it was for the better. Act 4 had the best bosses in the game, act 3 had the
bike chase
and awesome ending cutscene, and act 5 had the
microwave room
and final fight. Those are the best moments of the game for me. If they kept the same formula for the entire game, then it would get repetitive fast. I like the varied gameplay, you never do the samething twice, and everything you do is awesome
but I can see why some people might not like the stalking part in act 3 (but I liked it)

In time people, in time. I didnt say everyone was. :p

Anyway, Nothing could make me happier than to play a full game that played out like Act 2. So amazing.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
burgerdog said:
I got the Altair costume last night, wonder if I should go for bandana and optical camo now >.> Hm, does anyone know if 'alerts' count during the intro?

They don't.

P.S. For the 3 people who care, I'm installing Act 4 on my BB Rank Extreme run right now. Had to do all of Act 2 over yesterday, something was counted as a kill. :|

3 was hell. Pure hell. But its over now. Should be easy going from here until
possibly Rex Vs. Ray, and surely Ocelot.

Edit: Fucked up spoiler tag, was going too quick during an install, sososososo sorry. :|

TheWolf

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Ocelot took on Liquid, he became Liquid's personality in order for Snake to do what he did. He didn't "fake" anything. Through hypnosis and psychotheraphy he became Liquid, his personality, his mannerisms everything. So he wasn't going about it half ass at all. He was planning beforehand for all this to happen, before he became Liquid and figured out that this was the best way for it to happen.

then it's a really shitty plan since it's very possible that
the Liquid side could end up killing Snake thereby foiling Ocelot's reason for becoming Liquid in the first place and ruining all of his plans for destroying the AIs. as a matter of fact, he TRIED TO KILL SNAKE with a bunch of missiles in MGS2 but was stopped by Fortune (though we never know how she was able to deflect the missiles.)

really, it's all very sloppy.

Gamer @ Heart said:
In time people, in time. I didnt say everyone was. :p

Anyway, Nothing could make me happier than to play a full game that played out like Act 2. So amazing.

I'm sure their will be. And instead you play as Raiden.

SnakeXs said:
They don't.

P.S. For the 3 people who care, I'm installing Act 4 on my BB Rank Extreme run right now. Had to do all of Act 2 over yesterday, something was counted as a kill. :|

3 was hell. Pure hell. But its over now. Should be easy going from here until [/spoiler]possibly Rex Vs. Ray, and surely Ocelot.[/spoiler]

NOOOO.. you spoilt me :_; how will I live with myself now <:eek:

TheWolf

Banned
also,
Ocelot left Snake for dead in the tanker in MGS2. there is no way he could have known that Snake would survived the sinking, so again, how does that fit into his plan?

Solo

:lol Always amusing when someone tries to do the right thing by tagging spoilers, yet messes up the actual act of tagging said spoilers.

Torquill

TheWolf said:
then it's a really shitty plan since it's very possible that
the Liquid side could end up killing Snake thereby foiling Ocelot's reason for becoming Liquid in the first place and ruining all of his plans for destroying the AIs. as a matter of fact, he TRIED TO KILL SNAKE with a bunch of missiles in MGS2 but was stopped by Fortune (though we never know how she was able to deflect the missiles.)

really, it's all very sloppy.

Mmm, maybe. THat's the thing though, one of the aspects of Ocelot I consistently noticed the most was his penchant for NOT killing Snake. Perhaps you can think it as it was present, Liquid Ocelot, not Liquid Snake. Ocelot wearing the mantle of personality, but still in control of his own will. (Big Boss kind of drives at this as well, maybe). Also, what makes you think Fortunes sudden return of power wasn't Ocelot's doing in the first place? (perhaps that wasn't the original intent of the scene, but that certain makes the pieces fit together better)

Raist

Banned
Why do people try to analyze characters' reactions while being biased by their knowledge of later parts of the game / series. Some things could not make sense now that you know more stuff, but they did make sense when you played the game or part of the game at that time. The characters are in the exact same position.

TheWolf said:
also,
Ocelot left Snake for dead in the tanker in MGS2. there is no way he could have known that Snake would survived the sinking, so again, how does that fit into his plan?

"Our boy.. He's right on schedule."

Dragon

Banned
TheWolf said:
also,

He wasn't Ocelot then, he was Liquid, and he was trying to kill Snake then. So no it doesn't fit into Ocelot's plan, but that's not the point because Ocelot isn't doing it, Liquid is.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
MGS4 is definitely light on the gameplay. 8 hours of cutscenes and my first run through on solid normal left about 8 hours remaining for gameplay. I'd estimate MGS3 had about twice the gameplay time, and more like 3x if you compare my play times for each respective game on Extreme. Don't know how feasible it would be to really address that in a hypothetical MGS4:S, since the cutscenes and gameplay are woven so tightly together. And throwaway extra scenarios like Snake Tales or Snake vs Monkey tend to not excite.

This really all goes back to the point that MGS4 is a sequel to MGS2, not MGS3. I think that's going to be inherently disappointing on some level.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
jjasper said:
This is the only thing that didn't make any sense to me.

She gave birth to Solidus too, right? I'm sure as a mother that would upset her, but correct me if i am wrong.

tha_con

Banned
dermannmitdemcolt said:

Ignore Solo, he's been on a mission since he came in this thread to tell us all how much the last 3 acts are terrible, and how all of us are wrong for liking them.

He also wants us all to know how much we're victim to hype and hyperbole, and the game didn't live up to it's expectations.

Phatcorns

On the topic of letting other's opinions be and just stating them without a need to defend them, did no one else get that message from MGS4?

Respecting the will of others.

Guled

Phatcorns said:
So you bothered to spoiler that last bit, but not the rest? What are you thinking?
the bike thing was in the trailer and I don't think the microwave room is a spoiler since no1 who didn't get to that part would understand. But I fixed it just in case people care.

Dragon

Banned
TONX said:
She gave birth to Solidus too, right? I'm sure as a mother that would upset her, but correct me if i am wrong.

She gave birth to twins, Liquid and Snake. I don't think she gave birth to Solidus.

Solo

tha_con said:
Ignore Solo, he's been on a mission since he came in this thread to tell us all how much the last 3 acts are terrible, and how all of us are wrong for liking them.

He also wants us all to know how much we're victim to hype and hyperbole, and the game didn't live up to it's expectations.

Good christ the defense force is out in full this morning. Do you react this same way in real life when someone doesn't share the same views as you? Also, how many times do I have to say that MGS is my favorite gaming franchise, and that I love a lot of what MGS4 is selling? But you must have your Solid Eye blinders on to gloss over the game's flaws like you are doing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
EviLore said:
MGS4 is definitely light on the gameplay. 8 hours of cutscenes and my first run through on solid normal left about 8 hours remaining for gameplay. I'd estimate MGS3 had about twice the gameplay time, and more like 3x if you compare my play times for each respective game on Extreme. Don't know how feasible it would be to really address that in a hypothetical MGS4:S, since the cutscenes and gameplay are woven so tightly together. And throwaway extra scenarios like Snake Tales or Snake vs Monkey tend to not excite.

This really all goes back to the point that MGS4 is a sequel to MGS2, not MGS3. I think that's going to be inherently disappointing on some level.

Speedruns of every game seem to get all the games down to about an hour and a half of gameplay. I'm pretty confident MGS4 will boil down to about that too ultimately. I think the proportion of cutscenes makes it feel differently, but-- and this is somewhat interesting-- Snake Eater can be beaten quicker than the original.

There might be quirks in the speed runs to cause this, but I always like to identify them as pure indicators of how much content in the game "isn't skippable."

jjasper

TheBranca18 said:
She gave birth to twins, Liquid and Snake. I don't think she gave birth to Solidus.

I am pretty sure she gave birth to all three. Liquid and Solid were the first successful attempts born together as twin but were not 100% clones. Solidus was done later as 100% clone.

Guled

TheBranca18 said:
Solidus came latter, but they don' say who the mother was. I'm sure its safe to say EVA since she was the mother for the other 2. Another reason why she jumped in the fire was that she knew she was going to die, so she jumped in to make it more convincing to the patriots.

Solo said:
Good christ the defense force is out in full this morning. Do you react this same way in real life when someone doesn't share the same views as you? Also, how many times do I have to say that MGS is my favorite gaming franchise, and that I love a lot of what MGS4 is selling? But you must have your Solid Eye blinders on to gloss over the game's flaws like you are doing.

I do. I pretty much beat the crap out of them, until they finally agree with my opinions.

But on topic regarding Solidus:

Big Mama did not birth Solidus, she does not mention it at all. The surrogate mother was probably a different pawn of The Patriots. It is never mentioned, because it probably isn't relevant.

burgerdog

The only things that get to me is how much potential act 3 had, given how big it is ;/ And act 5 only having two 'real' gameplay areas. Act 5 could be completed in less than 10 minutes flat. *
not counting ocelot fight

With that said, I absolutely love act 1, 2, and 4 because of the amount of gameplay in them.

Solo said:
The year has another 6 months to go.

Anyways, its the best thing so far this year, but at the same time, 3 of the 5 acts are "meh". So while another game this year may not hit the heights of MGS4 at its best, I find it hard to believe that something more consistently great won't come along before the end. Through Act 1 and 2, MGS4 is worthy of all the hype, but Act 3 thru 5 really are inferior.

Act 3 was amazing i dunno what your talking about. And i'm not saying only the end of act 3 but the whole atmosphere and gameplay was tons of fun especially the last part.

Act 4 the nostalgia is great but i do agree its kinda lame infiltrating an empty base, but it wasnt that bad just because of nostalgia.

I havent started act 5 yet so cant really comment. BUT i don't see any other game coming out this year that can match this. Gear of War 2 while being great i dont think its a GOTY type game, same with resistance 2

Torquill

TheBranca18 said:
He wasn't Ocelot then, he was Liquid, and he was trying to kill Snake then. So no it doesn't fit into Ocelot's plan, but that's not the point because Ocelot isn't doing it, Liquid is.

no

Solo said:
I can't picture anyone enjoying following that resistance member for 20 minutes in Act 3.

Then picture me. I love this Act mainly because of its atmosphere and the story development but I also enjoyed the mechanics of the chase sequence. Though I would agree that it is a tad too long.

I couldn't get past the fanservice in Act 4

I thought they handled it pretty well. And you throw this word (fanservice) around like an insult - I don't understand this attitude.

and as for Act 5, you barely play at all.

I agree.
But the whole Showdown with the Microwave Room and the fight against Ocelot was just too awesome.
So the lack of gameplay didn't really bother me.

Act 1 and Act 2 are solid gold, though, no complaints there.

If the whole game had been like that, it would've gotten very repetitive. For me at least. The same battlefield gameplay for every chapter? Not a good idea. Not at all.

Torquill

TONX said:

I dont' think she did actually. She specifical mentions Solid and Liquid, not Solidus. Given the types of clones they are it would also make more sense if Solidus had a different surrogate. He's not involved in the twin snake dominiate/recessive hoopla, he's a seperate, pure clone. Likely born at the same time (roughly) but not from the same mother.

tha_con said:
The Patriots Never Know that Ocelots goal is to take them out. The entire time they think he is trying to gain access to the system so he can control it, not destory it. Which is why they send Snake to kill him, to stop outerheaven.

Very simple. Get over it.
How do they
control Snake to their own ends then?
That's the only thing I'm not entirely sure about, I'm sure there's a simple answer.

The plot drove the last two acts. I don't think they could of changed the acts to the war settings without having to completely alter the story. It is understanable, and personally, playing the game for the first time, the amount of varied gameplay is astounding. I am sure they will make another game that will purely cater the war mechanics, and everyone will be happy and laugh and cry and play soggy biscuit.

Solo

In the end I guess I just feel its the most unbalanced of the games. MGS1 and MGS3 were both almost flawlessly paced and balanced out. MGS2 was all over the place like MGS4 is, but I felt it worked better in 2.

burgerdog

TheBranca18 said:

Did you not watch the ending?
He was never liquid, it was all an act, SINCE LIKE DAY 1 RITE

tha_con

Banned
EviLore said:

Hmm, I felt more like MGS4 wasn't so much as a sequel to just MGS2, as it was a continuation of MGS2, 3, and Portable Ops, all wrapped into one package. It does a really good job of piecing together all 3 of those games into one package, and MGS1 is used only as fan service and backstory, with little influence on the game itself (or rather, the story).

As for MGS4: S or whatever it will be, I think there are certainly things they could address for a re-release.

One thing I would like to see is scenarios where the gameplay of Act 1 and 2 are fleshed out into larger missions. Think of a bunch of different battles against PMC's in those area's with different objectives, where you can either help the Militia, or just sneak past them all and get to your objectives, with different rewards (face camo and new weapons maybe?) for each different way you complete them.

Then of course, there is always the theater mode, out takes, and all that jazz.

Lastly, one thing I would improve in MGS4 is a change of pace for Act 3. It could have been better with more spice thrown in it. More helicopters and search lights, more alternate paths, and different methods of finding the Resistance HQ rather than just following one member. If they had something like following tips over radio frequencies, maybe listening to a few civilians (who may be resistance members) for hints, tips, a better use of the disguise system (the ability to dress as a soldier and civilian) and THEN following the Resistance member...that could work a little bit better and would certainly be more engaging.

TheWolf

Banned
dabookerman said:
"Our boy.. He's right on schedule."

yeah, for the framing. doesn't mean they expected him to survive.

burgerdog said:
Did you not watch the ending?
He was never liquid, it was all an act, SINCE LIKE DAY 1 RITE

he thought he was Liquid.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Y2Kev said:
Speedruns of every game seem to get all the games down to about an hour and a half of gameplay. I'm pretty confident MGS4 will boil down to about that too ultimately. I think the proportion of cutscenes makes it feel differently, but-- and this is somewhat interesting-- Snake Eater can be beaten quicker than the original.

There might be quirks in the speed runs to cause this, but I always like to identify them as pure indicators of how much content in the game "isn't skippable."

You can beat Half-Life 1 on hard in an hour and Fallout in 9 minutes. Doesn't really have any bearing whatsoever on even the typical hardcore gamer's experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom