• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEH-CJ

Banned
So i finished mgs4 for the 3rd time and i feel like replaying it another 50 times. Somehow each playthough seems just as refreshing. This game is beyond amazing.

Zeke

I found out that during some cut scenes if
you shake your control your camo will turn back into the sneaking suit
Its little things like that why I love this series so much.

scoobs

chubigans said:
Hah, I just figured out that you can
turn on the radio in the upstairs cabin of the plane with your whip from MKII.

Holy crap what does it play?

And I just wanna say that in Act 2
the gekko chase scene is one of the most exciting and pure badass moments in the game and I have replayed it multiple times. Plus the graphics are nuts.

hirokazu

Teknoman said:
lol at Otacon conversation with Snake in the
Shadow Moses canyon on taking out Tanks with grenades. "You're the most hardcore bad ass on the planet! You're...the shit!
Hmm? I never got this conversation...

Blablurn

ok, i just downloaded the database from the japanese PSN. The great thing is, you can choose your languaher after starting the program! Awesome.

TheWolf

Banned
Zeke said:

you can do it during any real-time cutscene or during gameplay.

Nightz

dmshaposv said:
I'm the guy who made the boxart. :)

Original link: http://www.vgboxart.com/view/19095/metal.gear.solid.4.guns.of.the.patriots/?replies=27

I had made it at 200dpi . However, it seems even if its upscaled to letter size a bit (which would be around 300 dpi) and then printed it still looks crisp.

I don't normally make printable boxes.

Anyway here is the printable with spine:

Original link of printable at vgboxart: http://www.vgboxart.com/boxes/PS3/19095_metal_gear_solid_4_guns_of_the_patriots-print.png

hope you guys like it! :D

P.S. Bruce check your pms.

P.P.S. The poster image is the wallpaper we've seen. I only have it at 1600x1200 like most of you.
Man that's awesome. I'd like to use that, but I'm a noob when it comes to this boxart stuff, so I have a couple of questions:

1) I'd like to use the same kind of paper that is used for the regular box arts if possible. What kind of paper do they use and what paper size should I get?

2) What print settings should I use? Do I have to customize any of the settings to get it to look right and for it to come out the same size as the original box art?

Sorry again if these questions are noobish. I've never done this before and I don't want to waste a bunch of ink doing trial and error.

hirokazu

TheWolf said:
you can do it during any real-time cutscene or during gameplay.
And for both of the non-realtime cutscenes where you can't do it, they intentionally made it so that Snake had already reverted back to the default OctoCamo
after Snake gets stun knifed multiple times in Act 3, and when the OctoCamo gets completely busted from the microwaves in Act 5
. ;)

KdoubleA

Just finished the game...I really was speechless when it was all over...Most entertaining game I've played in a long time and definitely the best I've played this year. The part
that occured when the credits rolled and Big Boss's name came up...I was like
OMG
That was definitely the closure I wanted to experience for the series.....As much as I want a new MGS I think it's best to let Snake finally take a break and enjoy the rest of his life with Otacon and Sunny...Oh and the fight with Ocelot..Bad Ass!!

AWESOME GAME!!!!

Darkpen

Banned
Zeke said:
if you shake your sixaxis during your codec with
rosemary, her boobs shake

Teknoman said:
lol at Otacon conversation with Snake in the
Shadow Moses canyon on taking out Tanks with grenades. "You're the most hardcore bad ass on the planet! You're...the shit!
how do you trigger that?

_leech_ said:
Pay attention to the end of this MGS2 codec conversation (from 1:17): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpx5TW1A68I

I don't think this was ever touched on in MGS4.
He could be alluding to Solidus, but it does seem odd.

edit: :lol, my mistake D:

hirokazu

Darkpen said:
if you shake your sixaxis during your codec with
rosemary, your boobs shake
Snake has boobs? Awesome.

I haven't begun my second playthrough yet, I watched half of the Making Of Blu-ray instead. But I noticed after you're done, it said you'll get to keep your equipment on subsequent playthroughs, as I expected, but then it also said EXCEPT iPod Music. WTF, is that true? What is the point of me going around looking for as much music as I could during my first playthrough then? ;_;

Teknoman

I just called Otacon after I passed the Gekkos
protecting that door into the second part of Shadow Moses after the canyon, talks about Vulcan Raven battle

Also lol at jpop beauties.
They bust out into a Jpop idol style dance if you play that Two-han princess song...which is oddly kinda catchy.

EDIT: Also it didnt seem like you really had to
Stay downwind from Crying Wolf
I know it was supposed to be like the Sniper battle each Solid saga game has had so far, but it would have been alot more enjoyable if those
Frog Unit soldiers werent jumping all over the place

Darkpen

Banned
hirokazu said:
Snake has boobs? Awesome.

I haven't begun my second playthrough yet, I watched half of the Making Of Blu-ray instead. But I noticed after you're done, it said you'll get to keep your equipment on subsequent playthroughs, as I expected, but then it also said EXCEPT iPod Music. WTF, is that true? What is the point of me going around looking for as much music as I could during my first playthrough then? ;_;
:lol

he has pecks D:

but no, I meant
rose

Zeke

Teknoman said:
protecting that door into the second part of Shadow Moses after the canyon, talks about Vulcan Raven battle

They bust out into a Jpop idol style dance if you play that Two-han princess song...which is oddly kinda catchy.

I know it was supposed to be like the Sniper battle each Solid saga game has had so far, but it would have been alot more enjoyable if those
you know they didn't really bug me at all. I was able to take them out real quick without bringing any attention to myself.

hirokazu

Teknoman said:

I'm not sure if I even played that battle right, because
them FROGS were everywhere pissing me off
. Of course, there's no TRUE way to do many boss battles in MGS games, but I ended up
hiding under that truck thing near tree that falls down during the intro cutscene for the battle. Once there, I could shoot a bunch of FROGS in the head, and if I triggered any alerts, I could shoot them down from beneath the truck anyway. Then I ran out to collect their weapons and try get Wolf to spot me, after which I'd crawl back under the truck and start using the Mosin Signit when she begins using the rail gun
. Really stupid, but it worked, LOL.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
disappeared said:
I just want to say that I actually got teary-eyed when I returned to Shadow Moses. All the flashbacks sent me back ten years in time.

Same here especially
when the tune starts playing once you start to enter the base.

Teknoman

Zeke said:
you know they didn't really bug me at all. I was able to take them out real quick without bringing any attention to myself.

Well I would have, but I was thinking the noise would alert everyone, and all the
troops plus wolf would come after me at the same time
I'll know better on my second time through.

Also yeah, I see there are always many ways to approach Metal Gear boss battles. Always depends on what you have at the moment, so I guess thats pretty cool that its open ended like that. Wonder how many people used the
hidden off to the side in Act 2 surface to air missle on Raging Raven...

Zeke

hirokazu said:
I'm not sure if I even played that battle right, because
them FROGS were everywhere pissing me off
. Of course, there's no TRUE way to do many boss battles in MGS games, but I ended up
hiding under that truck thing near tree that falls down that the intro cutscene for the battle, and shooting a bunch of FROGS in the head, then collecting their weapons. Then I ran out to collect their weapons and try get Wolf to spot me, after which I'd crawl back under the truck and start using the Mosin Signit when she begins using the rail gun
. Really stupid, but it worked, LOL.
I used the
towers to take the frogs out and find out where she was. After that I switched to crawling around waiting for her show herself. At one point she was within 20 feet of me. Silenced m14 works wonders on that fight.

patsu

Teknoman said:

Where is the Minami Akina poster ?

I remember the
Vulcan Raven canyon. I was running along the left wall (and the camera was pointing downwards with limited visibility). I vaguely saw 2 tree stumps, and ran towards it for cover. Suddenly Otacon yelled "Attack !" over the Codec. Before I knew it, the 2 tree stumps started to move and jumped. They were the legs of a Gekko. I panicked and ran back to the rock by the entrance. Had to kill 2 Gekkos using RPGs.

SumGamer

chubigans said:
Hah, I just figured out that you can
turn on the radio in the upstairs cabin of the plane with your whip from MKII.

Wait.... you can
go upstair
? how?

BTW, about the result screen after you complete the game. There are emblems appear on the screen are those what I had archieved or just the one with yellow flag? The yellow flag kinda confuse me. If I start my second round, will those emblems from the first round in there as well or do I have to do it again to get all emblem?

I wish there's an option to view what I've archieved so far.

KdoubleA

Zeke said:
I used the
towers to take the frogs out and find out where she was. After that I switched to crawling around waiting for her show herself. At one point she was within 20 feet of me. Silenced m14 works wonders on that fight.

I played this boss fight way differently. I actually did something similar to
The End's battle from MGS3...I used the Night Vision to follow Crying Wolf's footprints, all the while sneaking around with full octocamo and just sniping the frogs with a silenced M14 (I used the grenade launcher on Wolf...took her out easily)

Zeke

KdoubleA said:
I played this boss fight way differently. I actually did something similar to
The End's battle from MGS3...I used the Night Vision to follow Crying Wolf's footprints, all the while sneaking around with full octocamo and just sniping the frogs with a silenced M14 (I used the grenade launcher on Wolf...took her out easily)
I tried
following her until she got the jump on me and attacked me after that I said screw it and let her come to me. If you're quick enough you can hit 3 times with m14 so it doesn't take too long to bring her down.

how do you charge the solar gun. whenever i go to charge it i just refill my real life bar really fast. life shouldnt really matter in Big Boss Extreme. also what is the best way to speed up the frog fight.

SumGamer

wotter said:
Look up and press forward with the MkII when you're in front of the stairs

LOL I keep
hitting the stair
so I stop trying. :lol dumbass, gotta try it again.

BTW can anyone answer the other question? Also does the playing time include all the time I spent watching the awesome cutscene as well?

hirokazu

SumGamer said:
LOL I keep
hitting the stair
so I stop trying. :lol dumbass, gotta try it again.

BTW can anyone answer the other question? Also does the playing time include all the time I spent watching the awesome cutscene as well?
It seems to correlate to the total time I spent in all my play sessions, so I think it does.

I have a question. Regarding the bonus
camera photos
you get for
collecting the camera in Act 4 instead of the earlier acts
, can that be done on a second playthrough for those who
collected it too early
, or do we have to start a new game?

disappeared said:
I just want to say that I actually got teary-eyed when I returned to Shadow Moses. All the flashbacks sent me back ten years in time.
Likewise. My mind was really blown for that entire act.

It's too bad the remixed MGS1 tracks aren't in the MGS4 soundtrack. I was really looking forward to hearing them, too. >:|

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Just finished act 2. Brilliant stuff. That part where
you were shooting from the top of drebins van was good fun

The last cutscene was great.
That fight between raiden and vamp was one of the best cutscenes yet

Teknoman

Zeke said:
I tried
following her until she got the jump on me and attacked me after that I said screw it and let her come to me. If you're quick enough you can hit 3 times with m14 so it doesn't take too long to bring her down.

I couldnt use the threat ring for some reason, so I just did the exact thing I did with The End boss battle as well
There I listened for his snoring or kept an eye open for scope reflection. Here I just listened for her foot steps and crying, then waited in a good spot and surveyed the area. Didnt want to use night vision because I remembered how sharp Frog Unit's hearing was

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Naomi is so hot. Usually I find it weird saying that about a videogame character but since this looks so real I dont feel bad for saying it.

She's not very useful so far, is she?
she injected snake with foxdie and thats going to cause him to turn into walking virus, and she's also the one that created the nanomachines that made vamp immortal. To be fair she didnt know they'll ever be used on vamp, but still, she does more harm than good.

hirokazu

CrushDance said:
Hm. I'm trying to print this in Paint.NET but it's coming out way to big.
Use Photoshop, if the picture was done at the correct size for the dpi specified, Photoshop should print it at the correct size. Though I had assumed most apps would already respect the dpi in the image...

I posted this in the other MGS4 thread but want to share it here. The topic disccused at the time was a potential "substance" version of MGS4 or a patch:

Im actually holding off a big boss extreme run in the hopes that a patch will allow me to load from in the game. The only reason i can think of why it wasnt done is that they dont want you loading another act while playing a different one, but thats still a lame reason considering just how often you have to exit to the main screen if you want to go for a perfect run. They can block a load from another chapter as long as they let me reload within the same one. Thats all i ask.

hirokazu said:
Use Photoshop, if the picture was done at the correct size for the dpi specified, Photoshop should print it at the correct size. Though I had assumed most apps would already respect the dpi in the image...
I don't have Photoshop :(

psycho_snake said:
Naomi is so hot. Usually I find it weird saying that about a videogame character but since this looks so real I dont feel bad for saying it.

she injected snake with foxdie and thats going to cause him to turn into walking virus, and she's also the one that created the nanomachines that made vamp immortal. To be fair she didnt know they'll ever be used on vamp, but still, she does more harm than good.

She never injected him with anything.
She took a blood sample, thats all. It was Drebin who injected snake with the foxdie.

hirokazu

psycho_snake said:

Heh, yeah.

Don't read this, coz it seems like you're not up to there yet, but for everyone past Act 4:
Why does Naomi choose to suicide? It seemed like an unnecessary sacrifice.

Gamer @ Heart said:
She never injected him with anything.
She took a blood sample, thats all. It was Drebin who injected snake with the foxdie.
He meant she injected him in MGS1.

AmMortal

Banned
hirokazu said:
Heh, yeah.

Don't read this, coz it seems like you're not here yet, but for everyone else:

It's Japanese game dude. lol

hirokazu said:
Heh, yeah.

Don't read this, coz it seems like you're not up to there yet, but for everyone past Act 4:

Ah. Indeed. You have to remember, she hated snake for destroying her brother.

And she killed herself because she was tired of the nanomachines. She was suppose to be dead. She new that, but she had to stay alive to finish her mission and destroy the patriots, and with sunny completing the virus, ("I cooked them right") she new it was time to go. She had to die, just like Big Boss knew he had to aswell. All remenants of the old patriots must go.

Edit: Spoilers, covered. Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom