• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirokazu

Gamer @ Heart said:
And she killed herself because she was tired of the nanomachines. She was suppose to be dead. She new that, but she had to stay alive to finish her mission and destroy the patriots, and with sunny completing the virus, ("I cooked them right") she new it was time to go. She had to die, just like Big Boss knew he had to aswell. All remenants of the old patriots must go.
I think you should spoiler that whole thing, like the above quote.

Anyway, I guess being tired of the nanomachines explains it. She didn't have an obligation to die, since he wasn't part of the Patriots like the other characters who died were. She could've hitched up with Otacon and make the most of life instead, then we wouldn't need to hear Otacon's whining
;)
NAAAOOOOOOOMI! WHHHHHY?

Jtrizzy

hirokazu said:
Heh, yeah.

Don't read this, coz it seems like you're not up to there yet, but for everyone past Act 4:
Why does Naomi choose to suicide? It seemed like an unnecessary sacrifice.

So Otacon could cry moar over a woman like always
;)

SumGamer

hirokazu said:
Don't read this, coz it seems like you're not up to there yet, but for everyone past Act 4:
Why does Naomi choose to suicide? It seemed like an unnecessary sacrifice.

It explain in the end of the game so unless you beat it, DO NOT read it.
She has to die for two reason. One, it was her sin for creating those as she stated in the game and she was part of the original Patriot. To end it all, 1 must become 0 and all who started it must not exist, hence the suicide.

However, it's just my take for interpreting that stuffand it make senses to me.

hirokazu said:
I think you should spoiler that whole thing, like in the quote.

Anyway, I guess being tired of the nanomachines explains it. She didn't have an obligation to die, since he wasn't part of the Patriots like the other characters who died were. She could've hitched up with Otacon and make the most of life instead, then we wouldn't need to hear Otacon's whining
;)
NAAAOOOOOOOMI! WHHHHHY?

She was central in the patriot plot. She helped create the nanos bfore MGS1 that would eventually be integral to them in MGS4. SHe hated what she created, and yet she needed them to live. And thir goal was to eliminate the use of them completly anyway. she couldnt just go on living depending on them. She had to die.

Darkpen

Banned
going through the game a second time and watching the cutscenes again, I can't help but be annoyed by Naomi's motion capture actress.

Seriously, what's with all of the headbobbing? At first, I thought it was really weird, but after listening to Jeremy Parish talk about it, I can't help but be annoyed by it :(

hirokazu

Gamer @ Heart said:
She was central in the patriot plot. She helped create the nanos bfore MGS1 that would eventually be integral to them in MGS4. SHe hated what she created, and yet she needed them to live. And thir goal was to eliminate the use of them completly anyway. she couldnt just go on living depending on them. She had to die.
I see, I think that's the most reasonable answer so far. Thanks guys.

Darkpen said:
going through the game a second time and watching the cutscenes again, I can't help but be annoyed by Naomi's motion capture actress.

Seriously, what's with all of the headbobbing? At first, I thought it was really weird, but after listening to Jeremy Parish talk about it, I can't help but be annoyed by it :(
I was more "Huh? What small movements?" I must be used to it from watching a lot of Japanese stuff. I even tried to keep a lookout for it while playing, but I never noticed anything that bothered me.

Darkpen

Banned
hirokazu said:

I was more "Huh? What small movements?" I must be used to it from watching a lot of Japanese stuff. I even tried to keep a lookout for it while playing, but I never noticed anything that bothered me.
she moves her head a LOT, in comparison to everyone else.

Like, just watch the very beginning of the mission briefing for act 3.

Speevy

Banned
Just finished it.

Wow, amazing game. Whenever they started showing character art, the backstory completely lost me, but then this is the first MGS game I've played for more than an hour.

That epilogue was quite a thing to watch.

Also, and this is a first-time MGS's impression, but do characters in this series usually have so many pseudo-deaths? They show a character getting killed, play some sad music, and they're in a scene later.

As for the gameplay, truly awe-inspiring stuff. I'll definitely play it again. Someone else can watch it, since I'm pretty much spent.

Darkpen said:

your sincerly going to take that trite comment to heart, jesus people dont know how to be entertained anymore.

Jtrizzy

Speevy, you might want to spoiler that question, but the answer is yes. It happens throughout the series.
Snake kills Grey Fox in the original Metal Gear, but he reappears as the Cyborg Ninja in MGS1. The Patriots take his remains and recreate him. Raiden (which is who I assume you are talking about) and Grey Fox have a lot of similarities in that sense

Naomi was not a member of the Patriots either

hirokazu said:

They got Japanese actors and actresses to do the mo-cap apparently. For some reason, Japanese actors and actresses move abnormally (at least to me) when they act. It's almost like they're overselling their acting.

Darkpen

Banned
Absinthe said:
They got Japanese actors and actresses to do the mo-cap apparently. For some reason, Japanese actors and actresses move abnormally (at least to me) when they act. It's almost like they're overselling their acting.
Its evident mostly with the female actresses, but most of all with Naomi. But yeah, it really is almost like they're overacting, yet at the same time, I don't think its intentional; I think its just part of Japanese culture. That sort of motion is mostly viewable in tv shows.

I just got done with my 2nd play through and I think I'd like to add my thoughts about the game.

I just think its too short. I honestly feel there wasn't enough stealth action and that sucks because the gameplay is so much fun.

Its like bam right after you leave the area where you split with Rat Patorl, your at Liquids base. I would have loved a couple of more areas before you got there that perhaps had more PMC and rebel combat.

The 2nd act felt long enough to me.

The 3rd act really struct a cord with me though. It starts with a really crappy follow mission that should have really been shortend. Then it decicdes to not have any stealth parts. What would have been nice is that after the Eva bike chase, you sepearte to add another deversion. You are then chased down by the Frogs and those flying ravens on foot. After that, you then have to meet back up with Eva.

The 4th act is my least favorite. I just don't like non-humanoid enemies in any action game. Its just a little quirk that I have. Its length was a little short also.

The 5th act also needed to be a lot longer. Throw in some awesome stealth parts and then a battle like the Radien and Snake one in MGS2. Then after that you have the boss battle.

I also think it should have been better if Liquid Ocelot was just Liquid. The final battle just has a better impact if its Liquid Ocelot and with him being The Sorrows son, its just as plausible. Sure it does make sense Ocelot is basically just doing something reminiscent of the Boss's sacrifice in MGS3.

mileS

question for the people that have finished Big Boss hard.

How hard is it compared to Solid Normal? give a couple examples if you can.

Omikaru

mileS said:
question for the people that have finished Big Boss hard.

How hard is it compared to Solid Normal? give a couple examples if you can.
Well you carry fewer rations and bosses are tougher. I think that explanation is simple enough. Also, enemies have better eye sight (not much better, though) and are generally tougher and in larger numbers. Plus you can carry less ammo and all that.

Honestly speaking, once you've got yourself all kitted out after the initial playthrough, the jump to Big Boss Hard isn't as big as I thought it'd be. When on playthrough 2 or beyond, Snake is pretty much a walking tank if you want him to be.

so i started my boss extreme run today i just finished act 1

00:38:54

ill get pics later. time to go to sleep.
will post save file on ftp if people wish.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
So I finished last night (12am, after the end finished it was 1:40am :lol ), I've slept and thought on it on my way to work today.

SPOILERS, BIG ONES!

So, on the whole, fucking epic beyond words. Every area was a finely crafted piece of awesome wowsome full of joy and wonder.

However, the Outer Haven level was, for one, way too brief. It also felt like the point where it became absoloute self-indulgent twaddle. The crawling through the microwaves, the armless Raiden, Meryl and Akiba falling in love on the battlefield... and it continues on and on in the closing sequences, and it felt like it was just to tie the story up, not because it needed it. ESPECIALLY when Big Boss shows up "LOL HI GUYS IM ALIVE LOL!".

Honestly I think Snake should have topped himself. The fact he didn't just invalidated pretty much everything they had built up through the game and the series and turned what was a "Oh my fucking god wow" ending to a "Oh... well, it was a fun ride regardless".

Kojima has fucking massive balls. He does shit with videogames and narrative therein that nobody else even dares to, killing off Snake would have been his master stroke and one I would have applauded. I don't think it would have cheapened anything. He chickened out :(

Overall, fuck awesome, but... yeah, not as good as it almost was.

Teknoman

Getting some sleep after finishing Act 4.

Damn Zone of the Enders 3 is going to be amazing
considering how much fun and how cool piloting a Metal Gear and fighting against another was.

Also throughout the series and in Zone of the Enders 1-2, I gotta commend Kojima's team on making all the mechs seem more animal like than mechanical. I mean they all roar and have these dominant "I just killed my lunch" animal like poses. Just gives a personality to each vehicle, like they were a character all their own.

That
Split screen fight was pretty cool too

Darkpen

Banned
Teknoman said:
Getting some sleep after finishing Act 4.

Damn Zone of the Enders 3 is going to be amazing
considering how much fun and how cool piloting a Metal Gear and fighting against another was.

Also throughout the series and in Zone of the Enders 1-2, I gotta commend Kojima's team on making all the mechs seem more animal like than mechanical. I mean they all roar and have these dominant "I just killed my lunch" animal like poses. Just gives a personality to each vehicle, like they were a character all their own.

That
Split screen fight was pretty cool too
no kidding.

I love that part about the metal gears, with the exception of RAXA and the 2D ones.

Tiktaalik

I played through a bit of the Act 4 boss battle just to get a taste, but it was pretty frustrating so I turned it off and I'll come back to it later.

What really bothered me is
the Frogs. I understand that the sniper battle needs to be different from The End, but does there have to be so many damn Frogs? And really, do they have to respawn? Respawning enemies is one of the few things that just shuts me down as a gamer, and really makes me want to just turn off the console and not play the game. If it wasn't for the fact that this is MGS4 I would not be trying this hard to slog through the horrible respawning sections of this game. I don't know what Kojima was thinking.

Anyway. I guess the strategy is to lie low and try to not have any alerts and take down Wolf via the sniper rifle? I guess I'll splurge for the sniper rifle silencer...

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Act 3: I just met
Big mama........She's the mother?! I did not see that coming at all.
Good plot twist.

Act 5:
Well i hope mister Kojima is happy to know that i did mash that triangle button during the hallway scene. It would have been perfectly alright to just sit there and watch the movie on the upper half of the scene since you have absolutely no control over snake. Either way i am happy that he would try to play us like that, it seems like no one else would

Steroyd

Is it true that Snake pukes if you kill to many people?

And how does the
emotional ammo
work? I hit them and they don't seem to be affected sometimes.

Lostconfused said:
Act 5:
Well i hope mister Kojima is happy to know that i did mash that triangle button during the hallway scene. It would have been perfectly alright to just sit there and watch the movie on the upper half of the scene since you have absolutely no control over snake. Either way i am happy that he would try to play us like that, it seems like no one else would

That part was awesome
it made you feel like you were about to fail because of your own fault, absolute GENIUS.

And the build up
of snakes deteriorating health
throughout the whole game just sets that scene up even better, when I look back on it.

1stStrike

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
I played through a bit of the Act 4 boss battle just to get a taste, but it was pretty frustrating so I turned it off and I'll come back to it later.

What really bothered me is
the Frogs. I understand that the sniper battle needs to be different from The End, but does there have to be so many damn Frogs? And really, do they have to respawn? Respawning enemies is one of the few things that just shuts me down as a gamer, and really makes me want to just turn off the console and not play the game. If it wasn't for the fact that this is MGS4 I would not be trying this hard to slog through the horrible respawning sections of this game. I don't know what Kojima was thinking.

Anyway. I guess the strategy is to lie low and try to not have any alerts and take down Wolf via the sniper rifle? I guess I'll splurge for the sniper rifle silencer...

That battle is really easy. Use night vision, a silenced sniper rifle (or a rail gun if you have one) and have some patience. I beat her on the boss extreme with relative ease. If you're discovered and she runs close to you, use the 40mm grenade launcher to knock her over.

I just finished act 4 on this difficulty..it wasn't overly difficult, though the fight with
vamp
gave me trouble cause I was lacking stun grenades for my launcher (there's only 5 which are enough to take him out, but if you miss you're kinda fucked). Plus, he likes to jump all over the place like a maniac and dodge bullets ><

The
rex vs ray fight took me a few tries, but wasn't that hard.

I've definitely found that I've needed to adjust my tactics for a lot of battles on the boss extreme, because they bring a whole new level of difficulty to the table.

Anyway, I'm at 3 hours 42 minutes game time at the end of act 4. So..act 5 is my final hurdle. I imagine the final boss fight will take me 5 hours and 6,000 retries to beat by itself.

psycho_snake said:
Good plot twist.

Surrogate mother. She just carried Liquid and Solid, she didn't conceive them. Just wanted to clarify that. :)

Lostconfused said:
Act 5:

i almost shed a tear during that sequence :(

almost :(

or maybe i did and im not admitting lol

psycho_snake said:
Good plot twist.
Really? I saw that coming ten miles away.

I was really surprised that my friends and I were able to call out most of the stuff that happens in the game.

Steroyd said:
Is it true that Snake pukes if you kill to many people?
Uh, I don't think so? If you spin him around in the camouflage menu enough, he'll puke.

Also, using the crying ammo on guys makes me feel kind of bad.

psycho_snake

Jack Scofield said:
Surrogate mother. She just carried Liquid and Solid, she didn't conceive them. Just wanted to clarify that. :)
I know that. Its still a big surprise though.

U K Narayan said:
Really? I saw that coming ten miles away.
Its because I hadnt thought about the possibility of
kojima revealing who the surrogate mother is. For some reason I never really thought about it.

boco77

Banned
I still dont quite get this whole Ocelot trying to
bring back Big Boss. If Eva was in on it too then why are they enemies in act three? So Ocelot's entire plan from MGS1 was to bring back Big Boss? And all this whole Liquid thing being inside him was all faked from MGS2 onwards to confuse the Patriots? I guess the Patriots did win over Ocelot's main objective by making BB die from the new strain of FoxDie as well as Ocelot himself. The new strain of FoxDie was set to kill Ocelot and not Liquid right?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jack Scofield said:

Yeah, if I heard that cutscene correctly, Solid and Liquid at least are half-Japanese.

psycho_snake

Wow. That conversation with
Big mama
in Act 3 was brilliant. You find out quite a lot of interesting stuff:

eva is the surrgate mother of snake

Zero was the leader of the patriots (although I think this was strongly hinted in PO)

Big Boss, eva, para-medic, sigint and ocelot were the other founding members

The details behind the reason why Big Boss created outer heaven

Sigint was the DARPA Chief!

Kazenone

psycho_snake said:
Sigint was the DARPA Chief!

In all honesty, that was the biggest and best surprise for me. (act 3 spoiler)
I loved Sigint loads and Anderson was pretty cool! And Ocelot killed him, pretty heavy.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
just got around to watching the commercials and the tv parodies on the bonus disc, which are awesome -- particularly celebrity moralist, which happened to come up when i first started the game. hayter wearing whatever the hell he's wearing, that creepy host badgering him, the war holograms projected above the table, the machine hum in the background. i don't know how kojima convinced his bosses to spring for this. maybe he's psycho mantis

best game EVER

Ploid 3.0

Speaking of Hayter being interviewed. His movie Gyver (1994) or something was on yesterday morning. Power ranger type movie, or should I say Ultra Man.

Guymelef

Hey people, a quick question about about the japanese special edition.

I want a game with japanese audio and special edition.
Is the extra Blu-Ray region free? English subtitles in it?

I only see Asian Special Edition with english voices, if i want japanese voices the only choose is the NTSC-J, right?

Okay this is cool but no doubt old...

I just realised you could change channels at the start with the octopus doco by pressing x. Fucking cool! The ads for the PMCs are so awesome! French one (can't remember the name) rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom