• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman86

Banned
$1148 Jack said:
Okay this is cool but no doubt old...

I just realised you could change channels at the start with the octopus doco by pressing x. Fucking cool! The ads for the PMCs are so awesome! French one (can't remember the name) rocks!

You can do that with pretty much any button on the controller. Quite a few people miss that. I was confused as well even though I knew it was coming.

^^^
SHIT!

$1148 Jack said:
Okay this is cool but no doubt old...

I just realised you could change channels at the start with the octopus doco by pressing x. Fucking cool! The ads for the PMCs are so awesome! French one (can't remember the name) rocks!
Come on. You haven't played Metal Gear Solid 4, before?

Come on. Get with it.

boco77

Banned
Could someone elaborate on this please.

boco77 said:
I still dont quite get this whole Ocelot trying to
bring back Big Boss. If Eva was in on it too then why are they enemies in act three? So Ocelot's entire plan from MGS1 was to bring back Big Boss? And all this whole Liquid thing being inside him was all faked from MGS2 onwards to confuse the Patriots? I guess the Patriots did win over Ocelot's main objective by making BB die from the new strain of FoxDie as well as Ocelot himself. The new strain of FoxDie was set to kill Ocelot and not Liquid right?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Still working through it (haven't had that much time) and I completed some of Act 4 (up through the first boss) and absolutely love it. After Act 3, I was feeling a bit less positive about the game, but Act 4 has me gripped again. Beautifully handled and offers more gameplay than I had expected (based on what others had stated). It's still rather different than the first two acts, but it's enjoyable nonetheless.

GCQuinton

psycho_snake said:
Wow. That conversation with
Big mama
in Act 3 was brilliant. You find out quite a lot of interesting stuff:

eva is the surrgate mother of snake

Zero was the leader of the patriots (although I think this was strongly hinted in PO)

Big Boss, eva, para-medic, sigint and ocelot were the other founding members

The details behind the reason why Big Boss created outer heaven

Sigint was the DARPA Chief!

I remember watching that scene and immediately saying "Damn, I wanna play THAT game where all this stuff starts to happen (Zero, Big Boss and the original Patriots breaking up) and see it first-hand" That would be a great prequel to play.

GCQuinton

drohne said:
just got around to watching the commercials and the tv parodies on the bonus disc, which are awesome -- particularly celebrity moralist, which happened to come up when i first started the game. hayter wearing whatever the hell he's wearing, that creepy host badgering him, the war holograms projected above the table, the machine hum in the background. i don't know how kojima convinced his bosses to spring for this. maybe he's psycho mantis

best game EVER

That creepy host is Lee Merriweather, one of the Catwomen from the old Batman show and the voice of Big Mama.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
GCQuinton said:
That creepy host is Lee Merriweather, one of the Catwomen from the old Batman show and the voice of Big Mama.

OH SHIT, I hadn't got around to IMDB'ing her.

She was the best catwoman fo sho.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
dark10x said:
Still working through it (haven't had that much time) and I completed some of Act 4 (up through the first boss) and absolutely love it. After Act 3, I was feeling a bit less positive about the game, but Act 4 has me gripped again. Beautifully handled and offers more gameplay than I had expected (based on what others had stated). It's still rather different than the first two acts, but it's enjoyable nonetheless.

Act 4 sold me on the game. Everything that followed could have been a prolonged High Definition shot of a horse taking a shit and I would have sat through it to get to the credits.

Oni Jazar said:
What? How did you know? I beat MGS3 twice and don't remember anything like that. Then again there was a lot of crap to remember lol.
In the pre-credits timeline, it says that SIGINT forms ARPA. I derived that he is Donald Anderson, the DARPA chief.

jjasper

I read through the history and story in the guide last night. One thing I didn't notice while playing was
The give away that the corpse is not Big Boss because the eye patch is on the left eye

GCQuinton said:
I remember watching that scene and immediately saying "Damn, I wanna play THAT game where all this stuff starts to happen (Zero, Big Boss and the original Patriots breaking up) and see it first-hand" That would be a great prequel to play.

I really think there need to be two more games in the series to complete the storyline. This one and then one where
you play as Raiden, see how he gets all messed up, rescue Sunny, and searching for Big Boss for EVA

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
U K Narayan said:
In the pre-credits timeline, it says that SIGINT forms ARPA. I derived that he is Donald Anderson, the DARPA chief.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious. MGS4 simply confirmed it.

dalyr95

Amazing game, the depth, the story, amazing. The ending was a bit too
"perfect", with everyone living happy ever after. I would of preferred at least one "good" main character to die and at least some kind of send off for Ocelot, he doesn't focus much in the story, his motivation, why he does it. Which is a shame as he has been one of the biggest characters in the MGS saga.
But that's personal preference, but an amazing game and HDW score is just amazing!!

1stStrike

Banned
Well, I've gotten up to the final boss fight on the boss extreme. When I get off work later today I should be getting my big boss badge.

It's been one helluva trip. You can't really enjoy the game on this difficulty because it's so frustating at times. One thing is for sure though. I have the game down to a science now, thus any other difficulty will be a walk in the park after the shit I've gone through.

Parts of the game that had me ready to punch a hole in my wall:

the first fight with the frogs. It is much tougher and less forgiving on extreme.

The chase in act two. Frigging zombie soldiers throwing grenades and shit.

The motorcycle chase in act 3. I firmly believe that this part is impossible to complete on extreme without using auto-aim. My dog was scared cause this part had me cussing and punching my couch in frustration.

The vamp fight in act 4. Mother fucker needs to stand still. I also hated how there were times he was immune to attacka so even though I shot him in the face with a stun grenade he'd just keep coming.

The screaming mantis fight in act 5. If you're not constantly shooting the doll as soon as she stops moving then you're dead. Between her throwing knives, the soldiers and meryl it's just too much. I had a bit of frustration with this battle until I got the hang of it.

Overall, playing mgs4 on the boss extreme is almost like playing an entirely different game. It's a lot more intense. But definetly a rewarding experience.

JCtheMC

1stStrike said:
Well, I've gotten up to the final boss fight on the boss extreme. When I get off work later today I should be getting my big boss badge.

It's been one helluva trip. You can't really enjoy the game on this difficulty because it's so frustating at times. One thing is for sure though. I have the game down to a science now, thus any other difficulty will be a walk in the park after the shit I've gone through.

Parts of the game that had me ready to punch a hole in my wall:

the first fight with the frogs. It is much tougher and less forgiving on extreme.

The chase in act two. Frigging zombie soldiers throwing grenades and shit.

The motorcycle chase in act 3. I firmly believe that this part is impossible to complete on extreme without using auto-aim. My dog was scared cause this part had me cussing and punching my couch in frustration.

The vamp fight in act 4. Mother fucker needs to stand still. I also hated how there were times he was immune to attacka so even though I shot him in the face with a stun grenade he'd just keep coming.

The screaming mantis fight in act 5. If you're not constantly shooting the doll as soon as she stops moving then you're dead. Between her throwing knives, the soldiers and meryl it's just too much. I had a bit of frustration with this battle until I got the hang of it.

Overall, playing mgs4 on the boss extreme is almost like playing an entirely different game. It's a lot more intense. But definetly a rewarding experience.

I'm attempting a completely "clean" playthrough on Solid Normal, and in every situation you've mentioned it's apparent it'll be a fucking bitch and half on The Boss Extreme. I'm considering not even going for the Big Boss emblem because of the sheer frustration.

Hero

Regarding the beginning, why is Snake at
The Boss'
grave anyway? Maybe it's my memory failing me from the other games but how did he learn about her or why would he be so strongly attached to someone he never met?

Edited for safety.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hero said:
Regarding the beginning, why is Snake at The Boss' grave anyway? Maybe it's my memory failing me from the other games but how did he learn about her or why would he be so strongly attached to someone he never met?
I was also curious about this one. Perhaps simply out of respect? That wouldn't be unrealistic. It's not as if he was sobbing over her grave or anything.

Just finished the game. Everything including the last piece of gameplay was great.

After that... it got really, really, really lame. IMO this was no way to end a great series. It was too long, too crappy, too cheesy. It was even worse than Return of the King. They should've just ended with
Snake beating Liquid Ocelot and then at the grave shooting his brains out, none of that wedding and big boss crap

Seriously, Kojima, if you want it to be a great combination of a game or a movie, make sure the movie part is fantastic, or better, end fantastic. This was crappy.

Otheradam

Hero said:
Regarding the beginning, why is Snake at The Boss' grave anyway? Maybe it's my memory failing me from the other games but how did he learn about her or why would he be so strongly attached to someone he never met?

I just finished chapter 4 but I heard someone say
it would make sense after you beat the game and that screen is actually a bit of a spoiler to the ending.

It doesn't make sense to me yet but I hope I don't figure it out before I finish chapter 5.

Otheradam said:
I just finished chapter 4 but I heard someone say
it would make sense after you beat the game and that screen is actually a bit of a spoiler to the ending.

It doesn't make sense to me yet but I hope I don't figure it out before I finish chapter 5.

That wouldn't make sense because it's at the start at thegame, at the grave that Otacon shows up.
From what I know
the grave next to the that of the Boss is Frank Jaeger

tha_con

Banned
Hero said:

I don't know if that's actually her grave though? I should play again, and see if it's the same location each time. Originally, I had a theory that it was Frank's grave, but who knows!

Zeke

tha_con said:
I don't know if that's actually her grave though? I should play again, and see if it's the same location each time. Originally, I had a theory that it was Frank's grave, but who knows!
its in one of the scenes snake walks right by the boss' grave altho boss and whoever that other grave belongs to(gray fox?) are on the same row but are a plot or two away.

tha_con said:

He is at frank's grave. It says Outer Heaven on the tombstone. Thats where the real solder died, obviously before he was turned into grey fox.

tha_con

Banned
Moz La Punk said:
Just finished the game. Everything including the last piece of gameplay was great.

After that... it got really, really, really lame. IMO this was no way to end a great series. It was too long, too crappy, too cheesy. It was even worse than Return of the King. They should've just ended with
Snake beating Liquid Ocelot and then at the grave shooting his brains out, none of that wedding and big boss crap

Seriously, Kojima, if you want it to be a great combination of a game or a movie, make sure the movie part is fantastic, or better, end fantastic. This was crappy.

I thought it was great.
Minus the wedding part.

Dave1988

Hero said:

It's Big Boss' grave.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Gamer @ Heart said:
It wasnt really a spoiler anyway.

Wait, are you being sarcastic?
OK, no big deal if it's not some major plot point, but I wasn't being sarcastic. Did I miss something that should have clued me in whose grave that was
(besides that it looks like a graveyard from MGS3, which could have been a coincidence)
? I'm only at the end of act two.

I heard someone mentioning
The Boss
being referenced by Snake in the first hour or so of play time, but I must have missed that.

Marconelly said:
OK, no big deal if it's not some major plot point, but I wasn't being sarcastic. Did I miss something that should have clued me in whose grave that was
(besides that it looks like a graveyard from MGS3, which could have been a coincidence)
? I'm only at the end of act two.

I heard someone mentioning
The Boss
being referenced by Snake in the first hour or so of play time, but I must have missed that.

You did a dangerous thing highlighting spoiler tags when your only on act 2. Enjoy the game and be more careful here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom