• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does solidus play into everything? I always thought snake, liquid, and solidus were
triplets
for some reason?
did eva give birth to him as well? if not who did? and why does solidus look more like big boss than snake and liquid do? And why does MGS3 big boss look exactly like snake, but MGS4 big boss look like solidus? How'd solidus lose his eye?

i fell asleep during some of the cutscenes. they were a bit too long and my couch is too damn comfortable so I'm guessing I might have missed some things. I'm gonna replay mgs 3, 1, 2, and 4 again prolly after fw 2.4 drops so i can better understand the story

thanks

bdizzle said:
How does solidus play into everything? I always thought snake, liquid, and solidus were triplets for some reason?
did eva give birth to him as well? if not who did? and why does solidus look more like big boss than snake and liquid do? And why does MGS3 big boss look exactly like snake, but MGS4 big boss look like solidus? How'd solidus lose his eye?

i fell asleep during some of the cutscenes. they were a bit too long and my couch is too damn comfortable so I'm guessing I might have missed some things. I'm gonna replay mgs 3, 1, 2, and 4 again prolly after fw 2.4 drops so i can better understand the story

thanks

Solidus was the perfect clone while the other two were simply test subjects using BB genetic code basicly. His body was used by liquid to by pass the systems of the patriots because his genetic code match perfectly with the founding member big boss. If you go look up videos of Snake from twin snakes and MGS2, he doesnt look quite like BB from MGS3 at least in my opinion.

I finished it last night. I'm an Eagle! I can see myself replaying it on Game + for sure, because the gunplay is so satisfying, but I must confess I was a little underwhelmed, specifically by
the level design and AI of Act 3 and the plot. When Shane began crowing about how "they tie everything together and answer all your questions," I was expecting more than "nanomachines did it" and for the whole plot to be one big conspiracy.
One of the most impressive games of this gen, even if I don't see it as the shoe-in GOTY that so many people here do.

Doc Evils said:
The graveyard says
1930 something to 1999. It's Big Boss' grave since Snake kills him in 1999 in MG2
Think about this, though. Why would he even visit that grave?
Snake has no knowledge of Big Boss' "noble" achievements. He even dubs him a "war criminal" during Act 1. He also kills Frank Jaeger in Metal Gear 2, so -- who knows?

Captain Glanton said:
I finished it last night. I'm an Eagle! I can see myself replaying it on Game + for sure, because the gunplay is so satisfying, but I must confess I was a little underwhelmed, specifically by
the level design and AI of Act 3 and the plot. When Shane began crowing about how "they tie everything together and answer all your questions," I was expecting more than "nanomachines did it" and for the whole plot to be one big conspiracy.
One of the most impressive games of this gen, even if I don't see it as the shoe-in GOTY that so many people here do.

Your googles must have been fogged.

Seriously though, i kind agree about the story and i most definetly agree with the gameplay.
Act 5 was two areas for godsakes!

But man, Acts 1 and 2 were so awesome though...

U K Narayan said:
Snake has no knowledge of Big Boss' "noble" achievements. He even dubs him a "war criminal" during Act 1. He also kills Frank Jaeger in Metal Gear 2, so -- who knows?

Dude, i wrote out a post just like this but didt hit reply because i started doubting myself after remembering the end.
I always thought he was at the graveyard visting his old close friend, Frank but if the gravestone really says 1930 something, it can only be Big Boss.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Solidus was the perfect clone while the other two were simply test subjects using BB genetic code basicly. His body was used by liquid to by pass the systems of the patriots because his genetic code match perfectly with the founding member big boss. If you go look up videos of Snake from twin snakes and MGS2, he doesnt look quite like BB from MGS3 at least in my opinion.

ahh, ok, that makes sense. did they reveal that
solidus was the perfect clone in mgs 2? i know in mgs 1 liquid was pissed that snake had all the good genes, when liquid was the one that really had them. and how long b4 snake and liquid was solidus cloned?

you're right it doesn't look exactly like him, but I figured they made it look a little different because snake and big boss weren't exact replicas. and i guess hearing hayter's voice as BB really made me believe they looked the same.

edit: damn i dont think ive ever seen a thread with this many spoiler tags b4 lol

Gamer @ Heart said:
Dude, i wrote out a post just like this but didt hit reply because i started doubting myself after remembering the end.
I always thought he was at the graveyard visting his old close friend, Frank but if the gravestone really says 1930 something, it can only be Big Boss.
This still makes no lick of sense. What the fuck.

dk_

Ok this sucks.

I'm currently doing a no kill/no aler run and after I completed act 1 I had 8 fucking kills, although I only used the stun knife and the tranq gun.

This is NO fun.

bdizzle said:
ahh, ok, that makes sense. did they reveal that
solidus was the perfect clone in mgs 2? i know in mgs 1 liquid was pissed that snake had all the good genes, when liquid was the one that really had them. and how long b4 snake and liquid was solidus cloned?

you're right it doesn't look exactly like him, but I figured they made it look a little different because snake and big boss weren't exact replicas. and i guess hearing hayter's voice as BB really made me believe they looked the same.

edit: damn i dont think ive ever seen a thread with this many spoiler tags b4 lol

I looked up the ending to MGS2 earlier today and played some twin snakes, so thats the only reason i was able to notice it. Your right, Hearing the same voice really makes you think they are both the same.

I dont know the history of solidus that well, but im guessing he must have come after the other two brothers. Didnt they perfect the procedure with solidus?

rSpooky

What was said
after the credits? After I beat the game and the title roll (credits) is done I heard snakes voice ( and octagons I believe) But I was busy checking my daughters glucose levels before dinner and could not understand it .. what did they say?? does any one know?

Hero

So wait, this still isn't making sense to me.

Are we all confused about whose grave he's visiting in the beginning and end?

If it's Big Boss, I'm kind of confused. I thought Snake thought Big Boss was a traitor and all that? If it's The Boss, how/why does he care? If it's Frank, I guess that makes sense. But after seeing the ending I thought he was visiting The Boss' grave, since Big Boss asked him to take him to her grave. I guess Kojima should've explained that all these other characters that died just so happened to be buried right next to each other in the same graveyard. But that would've required a 15 minute cutscene.

rSpooky said:
What was said
after the credits? After I beat the game and the title roll (credits) is done I heard snakes voice ( and octagons I believe) But I was busy checking my daughters glucose levels before dinner and could not understand it .. what did they say?? does any one know?
Nothing terrible important, just that Snake will do some travelling for the rest of his short life. Otacon wants to note Snakes life, Snake initially refuses but relents, allowing Otacon and Sunny to accompany him.

MY GOD!!

MY GOD MY GOD!!!

I just played the ACT 3 Minor Spoilers
Motorcycle sequence.....that was seriously one of the
most breathtaking pieces of gameplay I have ever experienced. When the car blows up and is flying over you in slow mo and you can shoot the driver and the guys on the turret
WTF!!! How can they even do that!

Zeouterlimits said:
Nothing terrible important, just that Snake will do some travelling for the rest of his short life. Otacon wants to note Snakes life, Snake initially refuses but relents, allowing Otacon and Sunny to accompany him.

...and then they all get hit by a bus...

U K Narayan said:
No. I totally believe you. It's just that it plainly doesn't make sense that Snake is visiting that grave.

He was really really close to him? yeah, your right, the motive isnt really there. But
ending his life where big boss "lays dead" i can sort of understand especially after learning of his struggle against zero and the patriots.

I would also like to point out, that Zero's britsh voice actor in MGS3 was great. I just started playing it again. British voices are so calming.

Solo

U K Narayan said:
No. I totally believe you. It's just that it plainly doesn't make sense that Snake is visiting that grave.

True. Based on what Snake knows about BB, its pretty pointless that he would visit his grave.

Gamer @ Heart said:
He was really really close to him? yeah, your right, the motive isnt really there. But
ending his life where big boss "lays dead" i can sort of understand especially after learning of his struggle against zero and the patriots.

I would also like to point out, that Zero's britsh voice actor in MGS3 was great. I just started playing it again. British voices are so calming.
Yeah I can get it too, but something like that is too drastically implied if it is true.

Also: Yeah, Zero's voice is awesome. MGS3 <3

gamerecks said:
Did they reveal what La-Le-Lu-Li-Lo means? I didnt catch it and heard they explain it.
It's a filter that is active for those within the SOP System. Rather than saying or hearing "The Patriots", they perceive "La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo" instead.

TheWolf

Banned
gamerecks said:
Did they reveal what La-Le-Lu-Li-Lo means? I didnt catch it and heard they explain it.

just something Zero made up. it was later incorporated
into nanomachines and is what people heard or said if someone mentioned "The Patriots"

TheWolf said:
into nanomachines and is what people heard or said if someone mentioned "The Patriots"

Ah. that explains the scene with
drebin in the middle of act 2. I didnt connect the dots.

TheWolf said:

when was that revealed? after you beat the game? i feel like i missed a bunch of shit. lol every mgs game this happens to me. its like i gotta replay 3 or 4 times before i actually get it

bdizzle said:
when was that revealed? after you beat the game? i feel like i missed a bunch of shit. lol every mgs game this happens to me. its like i gotta replay 3 or 4 times before i actually get it
They never explain it. You have to pick it up, because it's implied.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Beat the game last night as well, loved it!

I think its totally feasible that Snake would visit BB's grave, why not? He taught Snake a lot as a rookie, guided him along his first mission and then yes, they fought twice as enemies but even after Big Boss "died" all everyone did in the games afterward was talk about Big Boss and how great he was, how important he was, how his decisions shaped Snakes life ... it makes perfect sense for him to visit his grave sometimes, specially when Snake is worried about dying himself and feeling shitty because all his life has been is a reflection of Big Boss

Blader

Fucking wikipedia. I wanted to read up on the plot of Portable Ops, to prepare myself for MGS4, and some fucker wrote that
Major Zero
is Ocelot's boss. It's not a huge thing, since I always suspected him to be the guy, but this is the one game where I do not want to be spoiled ahead of time.

Fuck.

U K Narayan said:

There is an optional codec after the Frog fight in Act 1 that explains why Snake now uses CQC. In that codec it's mentioned that Operation Snake Eater had become declassified in the past year and now people knew about BB's heroic efforts from MGS3 (though obviously not the truth about what The Boss was doing). So I took his visit to the graveyard to be an acknowledgment of respect for what Big Boss had once done even if he had later become corrupted.

hirokazu

Gamer @ Heart said:
Ah. that explains the scene with
drebin in the middle of act 2. I didnt connect the dots.
More like that explains
Meryl near the end of Act 1? I'm pretty sure Drebin was only joking, although he's employed by the Patriots, he's not in the System so he'd hear it as it is

Blader5489 said:
Fucking wikipedia. I wanted to read up on the plot of Portable Ops, to prepare myself for MGS4, and some fucker wrote that
Major Zero
is Ocelot's boss. It's not a huge thing, since I always suspected him to be the guy, but this is the one game where I do not want to be spoiled ahead of time.

Fuck.

He isnt ocelot's boss. And
zero's
position in the future wasnt really a secret before MGS4.

jjasper

Blader5489 said:
Major Zero

Fuck.

That person is completely wrong.

Tom_Cody

kmgrey said:
There is an optional codec after the Frog fight in Act 1 that explains why Snake now uses CQC. In that codec it's mentioned that Operation Snake Eater had become declassified in the past year and now people knew about BB's heroic efforts from MGS3 (though obviously not the truth about what The Boss was doing). So I took his visit to the graveyard to be an acknowledgment of respect for what Big Boss had once done even if he had later become corrupted.

Damn it! I would love to see a video of that scene. I just finished act 1 on my second play through and I didn't hear it either time. How could they make that optional? It adds so much to their relationship.

hirokazu

kmgrey said:
I don't know, I thought it was also completely feasible
for him to visit BB's grave
given what he had learnt about the whole mess during the events in the game.

Tom_Cody said:
Damn it! I would love to see a video of that scene. I just finished act 1 on my second play through and I didn't hear it either time. How could they make that optional? It adds so much to their relationship.
A lot of details like that are in hidden in optional codec in MGS games...

matmanx1

Completed the game Sunday evening and had to take a few days off from gaming to really digest the whole experience. From someone who is a fan of the series and has developed emotional ties to these characters I can say that MGS4 stirred me in a way that no game has ever done before. Snake's journey and that of his friends (and enemies) makes for one highly entertaining (and complicated) ride.

MGS4 is the best game I've played in a long time and up there among the best that I have ever played. Obviously it helps that I am a fan and am familiar with the series. That being said the production values, controls, sound, interface, and all around gameplay are excellent and some of the best I've encountered. I liked it so much I've already started a new Game+ on a higher difficulty level and am going for a zero alert run.

Thank you Kojima Productions for a wonderful experience and /salute to Solid Snake for being one of my favorite gameing icons. You both deserve all the praise you get.

Blader5489 said:
Major Zero

Fuck.
That was part of MPOs ending, where Ocelot was speaking to
the man with the same code name as Null {Zero}

TheWolf

Banned
kmgrey said:

i don't remember them bringing up Snake Eater.
Snake just says now that everyone is using CQC his body's natrual reaction is to counter using some real CQC, and that he never used it before because Big Boss was a traitor and it felt wrong to him.

hirokazu said:
I don't know, I thought it was also completely feasible
for him to visit BB's grave
given what he had learnt about the whole mess during the events in the game.

At the end of the game? Sure. But he's there at the beginning before he knew more about the situation. As with many people I had assumed that it was the Boss's grave at the beginning of the game and he had somehow found out the truth about her between MGS2 and MGS4 but I think it was strongly implied in Act 3 that SS had relatively little knowledge of The Boss.

Tom_Cody said:

Yeah but this is small beans after the Ocelot being the son of The Boss and Sorrow being hidden in an obscure codec in MGS3.

TheWolf said:
Snake just says now that everyone is using CQC his body's natrual reaction is to counter using some real CQC, and that he never used it before because Big Boss was a traitor and it felt wrong to him.

It makes it sound like its some sort of secret technique. For goodness sakes, all he does is grab people and throw them down and stuff.

kmgrey said:
At the end of the game? Sure. But he's there at the beginning before he knew more about the situation. As with many people I had assumed that it was the Boss's grave at the beginning of the game and he had somehow found out the truth about her between MGS2 and MGS4 but I think it was strongly implied in Act 3 that SS had relatively little knowledge of The Boss.

Yep. Which raised the theories that he was vistings Franks grave.

TheWolf said:

Maybe someone can find a transcription or youtube video of the codec but
while Snake Eater wasn't mentioned by name I think it said something like "declassified Big Boss's exploits in the 1960s" or something. I took Snake's inability to articulate why that made it suddenly okay to use CQC to be an acknowledgment that the revelations made him question his feelings toward Big Boss and what he represented.

Gamer @ Heart said:
It makes it sound like its some sort of secret technique. For goodness sakes, all he does is grab people and throw them down and stuff.

Yeah, but it's a style of hand-to-hand combat developed by The Boss and Naked Snake. People in the military didn't fight like that until they came along.

Pai Pai Master said:
Yeah, but it's a style of hand-to-hand combat developed by The Boss and Naked Snake. People in the military didn't fight like that until they came along.

I guess. But still...they talk it up. They did the same in MGS3 now that i remember it.

hirokazu

kmgrey said:
I see. I guess it was
Gray Fox's grave
, it makes the most sense.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
TheWolf said:

Sorta. It started out as the password when you're supposed to meet Ocelot in MGS3. It later was used as a password for those who know of The Patriots. The system didn't allow them to say The Patriots, so they chose to say La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo instead.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Is anybody else annoyed at the lack of codec options in this game or did I miss out on something? I only had 2 contacts throughout the entire game that I could call, why even bother giving you a huge fucking codec screen when your only contacts are Otacon and
Rose
?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom