• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogogow

Orlics said:
I have one that you don't have! Asian version (printed in Hong Kong, Chinese text on box). :p
Hmmmmmm...............

Nah........I'll pass.

I've seen that one, lots of typos on the box lol.

Maaseru

Banned
Bricfa said:
Wow, /b/ has the "Love Theme" song playing in on the site, and it is now called "old /b/".
yup I left the page open just to let it rip!

also alerts in mgs1 flashback: do they count towards the total?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
jaaz said:
The problem is not that those sites gave it an 8, but rather than they are not consistent with what an "8" really means in their review scale. If a site rarely gives a game higher than an 8, reserving that score for an incredible game that has some issues, then there is not much to complain about. However when that same site awards clearly lesser (more flawed) games 9s and 10s simply because they prefer to play those other types of games over a stealthy/action game with a story, that is ridiculous.

I guess I find it difficult to understand why reviewers feel compelled to inject their own preferences for a particular game genre into the review and the score, instead of keeping those inherent biases outside of the review. Example: I do not like strategy games. But if I reviewed games for a living and had to review a strategy game such as the Civilization series, I would hope that I could put aside my personal distates for the genre as a whole and be able to evaluate the strategy game on its merits against the tenets of the strategy game genre. And not dock it simply because I personally do not like strategy games.

Same goes with sports games, puzzle games, survival horror games, etc.

I agree. You said it a lot better than I did. The first paragraph is what I was getting at and why it puzzles me.

Zerachiel

Raging Spaniard said:
I think Act 4 may be one of the best stages in videogame history. The art, the music, the setup. Absolutely amazing.

It was great for a lot of reasons, but I found that sneaking past the drones in a more traditional Metal Gear environment was less entertaining than the awesome battlefield sneaking that happened in acts 1 and 2.

And act 3's gameplay can suck my balls.

This is kind of a embarassing post but..I am so blown away by this game, truly just astounded by it.

Have any of you read a book where because of the great character development you start to just
love the scenarios and general world created so much that there comes a moment when you realize
your getting close to the end and you start reading really slowly trying to delay getting to the end
as much as possible.

This game is doing that to me...Now that I am in Act 4 I just dont want this thing to end....

eXistor said:
Just finished the game. I liked it. I was never a huge MGS fan so that should explain my lack of enthusiasm but I did play and enjoy every MGS title so far with Snake eater being the clear winner imo. MGS4 has a lot going for it and it's great fu to play and to look at, but what nearly kills it for me is the ridiculous amount of cutscenes in it. No doubt this has bee mentioned many times, but I don't really feel like reading the entire thread.

The first 2 acts were fine and have the classic MGS gameplay, but act 3 and 5 were bordering on the absurd. I didn;t count but I know for a fact I've spent more time watchiung cutscenes than actually playing the game and what's more is that the bits where you do get to play (this includes act 4 as well, Normal difficulty I should add) it's in a competely diffent style than you're used to.

Now, I applaud the use of different gameplay elements, but I want MGS to play like MGS and only the first 2 acts have this (Act 4 only a little, but it was pretty cool otherwise so I'll let that one slip). I really do like the game a lot and I'm sure multiple playthroughs will be more rewarding but I swear that in the 20 hours I enden up playing only 10-12 were actaul gameplay.

Just look at act 3 for example: When you get control, it takes about 30-45 minutes to get to the next part after which there is a cutscene Then you get to play again, this time for about 15 minutes after which, another huge cutscene. Finally there's the last bit of gameplay which can take about 15-20 minutes and that's it. You get about an hour's worth of cutscenes after that and the act is done. There was literally more watching cutscenes than playing the game. I like the cutscenes I thought they were well done in a Hollywood kind of overplayed way, but come on people this is a videogame. I would not be surprised if the next sequel to MGS would actually be a Hollywood movie.

The first two acts did not have classic MGS gameplay, they had classic MGS3 gameplay. Act 3 and Act 2 in a way is a giant throwback to MGS1 and MGS2. In act 3 the area is gigantic but you are still maneuvering around guards but not really reling on camo, on creating diversions and stuff like in the first games. The following thing was there to guide you and provide interesting moments. Act 4 was obviously a throw back to MGS1, the gameplay there again fits more with MGS1, avoiding enemies, finding interesting ways to get around them and a bunch of boss fights and gameplay variety. Act 3 and act 4 are brilliant in how it brings the old with the new. MGS4 is really the culmination of all gameplay aspects of all MGS games in a perfect package.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
NinjaCodah said:
Some people try too hard to find 'flaws' (as they like to call them) in this game and it's unfortunate. Rather than enjoy all the amazing things that this game offers, they try to pin-point little insignificant details instead. Such game shouldn't be played by people with such attitude. Also, I feel sorry for those who try to quantify the amount of gameplay each chapters have...

Btw, Act4 has:
- A LOT of sneaking around, or LOTs of fighting if decide to go that way
- Boss fight with Crying Wolf
- Boss fight with Vamp
- Battle with Gekkos
- Escape with REX
- Showdown between REX and RAY

Only a fan service? Please... Just try this act on a no-alert run and you'll see.

What do people gain from complaining so much?

very true, its as if people figure they cant be taken seriously if they arn't a harsh critic.

either that or accepting a brand new game as an amazing, revolutionary experience makes the video game connoisseurs feel shallow. Like their jumping on a bandwagon.

I'm not fickle and i've been a huge gamer for as long as i can remember, but mgs4 is my favorite game ever.

TheOddOne said:
Some funny stuff i found out:
I called rose when i was fighting the psycho matis boss, then cambell started to talk. He told me a way to defeat the boss, '' just put the controller in the other port ''. Rose said it wasn't possible this time! I laughed for a hour:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Actually...

You can *try*. Just pause the game and switch to port two. It's just that when you do, the only button you can press is start - just enough for the codec call coming in to call you an idiot for trying it out. :lol

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
BruceLeeRoy said:
This is kind of a embarassing post but..I am so blown away by this game, truly just astounded by it.

Have any of you read a book where because of the great character development you start to just
love the scenarios and general world created so much that there comes a moment when you realize
your getting close to the end and you start reading really slowly trying to delay getting to the end
as much as possible.

This game is doing that to me...Now that I am in Act 4 I just dont want this thing to end....
not really, we're all in our underwear here. mgs4 is that good.

SRG01

Gamer @ Heart said:
I think he meant act3, but in 4
tension is greatly diminshed when its just robots and no need for the octo camo except for the boss. Act 5 of course, is only 2 areas including a boss battle. Its basiclly one giant cutscene.

Wait, are you kidding me? Gekkos can't see you with Octocamo and there's at least 3-4 screens with them.

NinjaCodah said:
Some people try too hard to find 'flaws' (as they like to call them) in this game and it's unfortunate. Rather than enjoy all the amazing things that this game offers, they try to pin-point little insignificant details instead. Such game shouldn't be played by people with such attitude. Also, I feel sorry for those who try to quantify the amount of gameplay each chapters have...

Btw, Act4 has:
- A LOT of sneaking around, or LOTs of fighting if decide to go that way
- Boss fight with Crying Wolf
- Boss fight with Vamp
- Battle with Gekkos
- Escape with REX
- Showdown between REX and RAY

Only a fan service? Please... Just try this act on a no-alert run and you'll see.

What do people gain from complaining so much?

I started MGS4 on Hard and the Scarabs were insane. It's almost impossible to go through Shadow Moses without at least one caution.

FabCam

burgerdog said:
Completely random: but I think some people don't realize there's an Act 1 briefing cinema. I've noticed whenever people ask for the camera, battery, etc most people suggest Act 2 or beyond. I don't know why Kojima chose not to have that briefing during the game. Only way to see if is by accessing the briefing menu.

I think it's better to begin the game with that amazing cinematic entrance than a 20+ minute talking scene.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SRG01 said:
Wait, are you kidding me? Gekkos can't see you with Octocamo and there's at least 3-4 screens with them.

I started MGS4 on Hard and the Scarabs were insane. It's almost impossible to go through Shadow Moses without at least one caution.
Even on the Boss Extreme, two chaff grenades were enough to beat Shadow Moses without alerting anything :)!

traveler

Not Wario
burgerdog said:
Act II is so good, I could spend 10 hours in this act alone. GODLY. =\

After playing it through yet again, I have to say that, personally, it's my favorite level in any stealth action game EVER. So gooood. (And, having just started trying out MGO today, I can't wait till they make a MGO map based on it; there are so many sections they could use- the area at the very beginning, the power station, the confinement facility, the vista mansion, etc.- so many potential battlegrounds)

Dr.Hadji

-COOLIO- said:
very true, its as if people figure they cant be taken seriously if they arn't a harsh critic.

either that or accepting a brand new game as an amazing, revolutionary experience makes the video game connoisseurs feel shallow. Like their jumping on a bandwagon.

You have got to be kidding me with this stuff. Its cool if you don't find any major faults with the game but to ignore the fact that others might have legit qualms is being a bit too myopic.
MGS is a love/hate game and 4 is no different. No need to broadly label those of don't agree with you and collectively bury them with MGS Defense Force.

Bursh

mileS said:
The music right before you get on the bike got me soooo pumped. Then when it finally started and you could take control after about 10 seconds I had to actually pause the game because I was jumping up and down completely blown away. The only thing I didn't like that much about that part of the game was the extremely small clip in the gun you get from EVA and if you have the 3rd person aiming sensitivity set to default it kind of seems way to slow to be aiming at all these targets flying by. I had to learn that I had to pick my targets instead of trying to take everything down.
If you choose any other weapon in the motorcycle sequence it will have unlimited ammo. You don't have to use the gun she gave you.

1stStrike

Banned
Seiken said:
Even on the Boss Extreme, two chaff grenades were enough to beat Shadow Moses without alerting anything :)!

I used 3 cause I'm lazy. One before that room and then two in that room.

Shadow Moses on extreme is pretty hard. The fight with wolf wasn't that bad (just not getting an alert was the hardest part) but the fight with vamp was a bit annoying since I was low on stun grenades.

I managed to get through the first part of act 5 on the boss extreme with no alerts on the first time too. I'm pretty proud of myself.

traveler

Not Wario
Dr.Hadji said:
You have got to be kidding me with this stuff. Its cool if you don't find any major faults with the game but to ignore the fact that others might have legit qualms is being a bit too myopic.
MGS is a love/hate game and 4 is no different. No need to broadly label those of don't agree with you and collectively bury them with MGS Defense Force.

I actually disagree with this for the first time. MGS4 is so uneven and varied across its experience that its entirely possible, for perhaps the first time in the series, for someone's opinion to fall between hate and love. (as is the case with mine, to a degree) If you aren't enjoying the game at one part, keep playing and chances are you'll run into something you will. (Similarly, if you are enjoying one part, there's a chance you'll end up changing your mind when you get to a new section)

jjasper

Anyone against me bumping the spoilers thread from earlier so people that are finished and discuss the game without having to constantly highlight entire pages?

tha_con

Banned
Dr.Hadji said:

It's just as ridiculous to proclaim that a certain segmant was balls and nothing but fan service just because YOU felt that way.

I thougth Act 3 was brilliant, as it changes the pace. The problem was the tension wasn't high enough, more patrolling officers and vehicles were needed (search lights and that business as well).

But to out right say it sucks, or it's bad, fan service, etc? There is a LOT to be had from those different situations.

Fact is, he's right to an extent. A lot of folks are SEARCHING for reasons to post negative things about this game. It's no different from any high profile release. Gears, Ninja Gaiden II, Halo 3. All of these games have their fair share of looneys saying it's too awesome or 'blows'.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was just playing Metal Gear Solid 3 and in
Eva's codec profile it says she was born in 1936. If Metal Gear Solid 4 takes place around 2019, wouldn't that make her like 83 years old? She certainly didn't look it...

Orlics

Zefah said:
Eva's codec profile it says she was born in 1936. If Metal Gear Solid 4 takes place around 2019, wouldn't that make her like 83 years old? She certainly didn't look it...

Those 21st century cosmetics sure are something...

Crisco

Banned
Zefah said:

Nanomachines
. You know, like how everything else that doesn't make sense in this game is explained.

traveler said:
After playing it through yet again, I have to say that, personally, it's my favorite level in any stealth action game EVER. So gooood. (And, having just started trying out MGO today, I can't wait till they make a MGO map based on it; there are so many sections they could use- the area at the very beginning, the power station, the confinement facility, the vista mansion, etc.- so many potential battlegrounds)

What is the plan for MGO? I had heard on a podcast earlier that what is included on the MGS4 disc was considered the "starter pack" and that Konami was going to release the "real" MGO as a separate product this fall. Still the case? Anybody know?

So far I really like MGO, but even after such a short period of time playing I'm starting to see limitations in the maps and gametypes. It definitely needs some refinement, but a great start already.

JaseMath

Can someone quickly fill me in on
Laughing Octopus'
back story? My dog jumped up on the couch while
Drebin
was explaining it and I hit the start button and skipped the interlude on accident. :(

1stStrike

Banned
Giant Robot said:
can anyone tell me if you can choose any Act to play after you've beaten the game once? Like is there a Boss rush mode/level select, etc..

Nope. All you can do is make a new save at every spot you want to save. I have something like 11 or 12 different MGS4 game saves now.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I like MGO but Im getting my ass kicked. Im way too eager and play it like I would play an action game instead of an MGS game, thus I die, a lot

1stStrike

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
I like MGO but Im getting my ass kicked. Im way too eager and play it like I would play an action game instead of an MGS game, thus I die, a lot

I bet you're not using any of the SOP plugins. I go with a sniper setup along with some CQC. The addon that lets you see your opponent through walls temporarily is pretty amazing. I tag em with one shot, line up my next shot and when they go peek around the corner or try to take a different route..blam.

Also, I have infinite amounts of fun sneaking up behind people, and stun knifing them constantly until I finally just headshot them.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
1stStrike said:
I bet you're not using any of the SOP plugins. I go with a sniper setup along with some CQC. The addon that lets you see your opponent through walls temporarily is pretty amazing. I tag em with one shot, line up my next shot and when they go peek around the corner or try to take a different route..blam.

Also, I have infinite amounts of fun sneaking up behind people, and stun knifing them constantly until I finally just headshot them.

Yeah I need to hit that up, right now I have firearms (pistols and assault rifles, plus CQC) Now that Ive beaten the single player Ill put some more time into it :)

eXistor

MiamiWesker said:
The first two acts did not have classic MGS gameplay, they had classic MGS3 gameplay. Act 3 and Act 2 in a way is a giant throwback to MGS1 and MGS2. In act 3 the area is gigantic but you are still maneuvering around guards but not really reling on camo, on creating diversions and stuff like in the first games. The following thing was there to guide you and provide interesting moments. Act 4 was obviously a throw back to MGS1, the gameplay there again fits more with MGS1, avoiding enemies, finding interesting ways to get around them and a bunch of boss fights and gameplay variety. Act 3 and act 4 are brilliant in how it brings the old with the new. MGS4 is really the culmination of all gameplay aspects of all MGS games in a perfect package.

Right, you are basically repeating what I said ;)
I said I liked MGS3 the best by far, so for me that is classic MGS gameplay. And what I said about it bordering on the absurd is simply because there wasn't enough gameplay. I liked what there was, but it wasn't enough. The absurd part I meant was the high cutscene ratio. The gameplay in itself is all good, but I do wish there was a bit more act1/2 gameplay later on in the game.

FabCam

Lonesome_Raod said:
Just finished act 3. The first part on the streets was awful. Messy and dull. After act 1 and 2 I had high hopes. I hope it gets back on form.

Really? I actually loved that bit. There's so much freedom. You do know you can just ditch the tracking bit and just explore the city? There are loads of places to go and PMC's to kill.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I personally really enjoyed the sneaking part in chapter 3 on my first playthrough. Then again, I hadn't been very stealthy in act 1 or 2, so it was a bit refreshing to have to play it like traditional MGS.

DrBo42

Just did my first ever no alert, no kill playthrough in an MGS game. Somehow it made the experience better.
MGS4complete.jpg

Acid08

Banned
Lonesome_Raod said:
Just finished act 3. The first part on the streets was awful. Messy and dull. After act 1 and 2 I had high hopes. I hope it gets back on form.
I agree. I didn't really like the first part, thought it was too long. Loved the rest of Act 3 after that though.

traveler

Not Wario
Zefah said:
I personally really enjoyed the sneaking part in chapter 3 on my first playthrough. Then again, I hadn't been very stealthy in act 1 or 2, so it was a bit refreshing to have to play it like traditional MGS.

That was why I enjoyed it as well. I also thought that, in addition to making you use stealth, it presented in a different way from the older games, giving you a taste of something new. (Which, incidentally, is also the reason I disliked Act 4's take on stealth)

Edit: Nice job, DrBo!
You do realize, however, if you had done the entire thing you just did only one more difficulty setting higher, you would have unlocked the best emblem in the game though? I can't imagine wanting to go back through and do what you just did right after doing it on a higher setting. :lol

Can someone explain how
Raiden got his arms back and was completely human in the hospital after seemingly loosing both of them when he saved Snake from the Outer Haven ship?

1stStrike

Banned
FabCam said:
Really? I actually loved that bit. There's so much freedom. You do know you can just ditch the tracking bit and just explore the city? There are loads of places to go and PMC's to kill.

Haha, yea. Actually,
I climbed up a random ladder just to see what was up there and found the little robots in the trench coat peeking around the corner. It was pretty amusing. Also, if you get ahead of the guy in the park you can pose as a statue and the guy will piss on you. There's a bunch of little funny shit like that around there.

I was pretty blown away after act 3. It was different, but fun.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DrBo42 said:
Just did my first ever no alert, no kill playthrough in an MGS game. Somehow it made the experience better.
MGS4complete.jpg
That's enough DP to buy 19 more weapons and get the Drebin face camo in act 5 :)! Do it!

FabCam

1stStrike said:
Haha, yea. Actually,
I climbed up a random ladder just to see what was up there and found the little robots in the trench coat peeking around the corner. It was pretty amusing. Also, if you get ahead of the guy in the park you can pose as a statue and the guy will piss on you. There's a bunch of little funny shit like that around there.

I was pretty blown away after act 3. It was different, but fun.

How do you hide as a statue? I tried it in Act 1 but didn't know how to do it.

Oni Jazar

I hate this thread so much. I want to read peoples impressions but some of you guys are doing HORRIBLE tagging spoilers. Some of us can't finish the game within a week.

:(

DrBo42

traveler said:
Edit: Nice job, DrBo!
You do realize, however, if you had done the entire thing you just did only one more difficulty setting higher, you would have unlocked the best emblem in the game though? I can't imagine wanting to go back through and do what you just did right after doing it on a higher setting. :lol
Yeah I know, it was actually just practice for the thing you mentioned. Just to see if I can do it and to learn the enemy behavior a little better. It was pretty tough. :lol

1stStrike

Banned
FabCam said:
How do you hide as a statue? I tried it in Act 1 but didn't know how to do it.

You just stand on top of the empty spot by the other statues and press and hold triangle (the indicator will come up) and he'll pose. If you do it repeatedly on the first statue in act 1 his stone cock will break off too. It's pretty typical of kojima humor :p

jjasper

The-Switcher said:
Can someone explain how
Raiden got his arms back and was completely human in the hospital after seemingly loosing both of them when he saved Snake from the Outer Haven ship?

he wasn't completely human

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom