• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxya

JasonMCG said:
Can someone quickly fill me in on
Laughing Octopus'
back story? My dog jumped up on the couch while
Drebin
was explaining it and I hit the start button and skipped the interlude on accident. :(

It's really sad actually.
A group of terrorists took over her town. They forced her to torture her friends, family etc while laughing hysterically. That is, they forced her to laugh while doing it.

Ganondorfo

This is the most story driven game EVER, this is the talent of hideo koijima, telling an amazing storyline with a lot of details and create a lot of emotions, but there isn't a lot of gameplay compared to a game like mario galaxy for example.

But I'll say this to Hideo, this is one of the few games where I cared about the characters

I'll post my favourite moments in spoiler tags and my hated moments

microwave scene, scene with the music track of violent cease fire at the end of act 3, death of naomi, when big boss salute to the grave of the boss and you see the flashback of the same salute he gives in snake eater, when meryl meets snake at the train station and she doubts about the legend solid snake

my hated moments

every time sunny cook some eggs, didn't like the scenes; akiba at the beginning, he is annoying; drebin and his monkey

but this is my second favourite game of this generation after mario galaxy, goodbye metal gear solid franchise.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ganondorfo said:
every time sunny cook some eggs
What... the... fuck... :/?

Tom_Cody

The-Switcher said:
Can someone explain how
Raiden got his arms back and was completely human in the hospital after seemingly loosing both of them when he saved Snake from the Outer Haven ship?

A lot of people seem to be confused about this. His body is a cybernetic reconstruction. I don't know what type of TV you have, but seams and other unnatural marks are subtly visible all over his body. There are even seams extending from his lips to show the distinction between top and bottom.. I don't know who made this body, but there are clear visual cues to indicate that it is not natural.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ganondorfo said:
This is the most story driven game EVER, this is the talent of hideo koijima, telling an amazing storyline with a lot of details and create a lot of emotions, but there isn't a lot of gameplay compared to a game like mario galaxy for example.

But I'll say this to Hideo, this is one of the few games where I cared about the characters

I'll post my favourite moments in spoiler tags and my hated moments

microwave scene, scene with the music track of violent cease fire at the end of act 3, death of naomi, when big boss salute to the grave of the boss and you see the flashback of the same salute he gives in snake eater, when meryl meets snake at the train station and she doubts about the legend solid snake

my hated moments

every time sunny cook some eggs, didn't like the scenes; akiba at the beginning, he is annoying; drebin and his monkey

but this is my second favourite game of this generation after mario galaxy, goodbye metal gear solid franchise.

I think you should plug Mario Galaxy some more.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Tom_Cody said:
A lot of people seem to be confused about this. His body is a cybernetic reconstruction. I don't know what type of TV you have, but seams and other unnatural marks are subtly visible all over his body. There are even seams extending from his lips to show the distinction between top and bottom.. I don't know who made this body, but there are clear visual cues to indicate that it is not natural.

What I really want to know is
what happened to Raiden in between MGS2 and MGS4. He seemed perfectly human in MGS2 and I wonder what happened that turned him into a half-cyborg.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Going back to the bosses, the reason why their personalties annoyed me so much ws their stupid dialogue. For instace, I just hated how raging raven would say "show me your rage" or laughing octopus would say "laugh with me". It just sounds stupid imo.

Oni Jazar

psycho_snake said:
Going back to the bosses, the reason why their personalties annoyed me so much ws their stupid dialogue. For instace, I just hated how raging raven would say "show me your rage" or laughing octopus would say "laugh with me". It just sounds stupid imo.

MGS3 did the same thing. I agree that it's a bit dumb.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
After beating it the fourth time and spending loads and loads of hours on MGO... I can officially say that I, Seiken, consider this the best game of this generation. Nothing will beat this. Thank you, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo - but you can jump to the next generation right this instance.

Bizzyb

Banned
The-Switcher said:
Can someone explain how
Raiden got his arms back and was completely human in the hospital after seemingly loosing both of them when he saved Snake from the Outer Haven ship?

Well it's kinda like how in Star Wars where
Luke Skywalker had his hand replaced by a robotic hand that looked and functioned very much like a real human hand. his body was replaced (although still robotic) with a more human skin complete with new arms. he is still very much more robot than Human but Snake convinced him to (after finishing the mission) try and live the rest of his life and not be a death seeking soldier anymore as he was still young and had people to live for/protect i.e. Rose and his Son

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
DrBo42 said:
Just did my first ever no alert, no kill playthrough in an MGS game. Somehow it made the experience better.
MGS4complete.jpg

Whoa! Did you watch the cut scenes?

psycho_snake

Act 3/ act 4 spoiler:
Didnt Liquid say that he hid GW in The Patriots system (in the part called JD I think)? How did he manage to get it into the system? I thought no one could enter the system. I know that he managed to gain control of SOP, but didnt he hide GW in The Patriots system before he got control of SOP?

So could anyone answer for me, in spoilers of course, whether the Metal Gear Solid Theme is in Metal Gear Solid 4 or not? And if yes, how awesome this version is?

II VerTigo II said:
Whoa! Did you watch the cut scenes?
:lol :lol

Yoshichan

oatmeal said:
Does this game remind anyone of RE4?
Hmmm...it reminds me of RE4.
Not at all...

Xtyle

Over the shoulder aiming and buying and upgrading weapons (not the same kind of upgrade though)....but that's about all.

traveler

Not Wario
oatmeal said:
Does this game remind anyone of RE4?
Hmmm...it reminds me of RE4.

There are quite a few similarities. Total reinvention of a Japanese franchise's controls and camera, (with both ending up quite similar) merchant system that lets you buy and sell and huge variety of weapons, new game+ modes with similar bonuses, several distinct areas to progress through, (with both games starting off at the best points and reaching their lowest by the end :p) and oodles of goodies to unlock. I definitely saw some likenesses.

FabCam

psycho_snake said:

It is a bit dumb, but I think that they're trying to emphasize that they are full of rage or laughter to make you feel sorry for them when you hear why. Then you have to kill the innocent looking women.

DrBo42

traveler said:
There are quite a few similarities. Total reinvention of a Japanese franchise's controls and camera, (with both ending up quite similar) merchant system that lets you buy and sell and huge variety of weapons, new game+ modes with similar bonuses, several distinct areas to progress through, (with both games starting off at the best points and reaching their lowest by the end :p) and oodles of goodies to unlock. I definitely saw some likenesses.
Definitely have to disagree there.

traveler

Not Wario
I know everyone else is wanting Raiden's adventures for the next MG, but I think the logical next step would be a MG starring The Boss as the primary character during WW2. Not only would it explore a bit of MG lore that has yet to be really elaborated on, but it'd also be a perfect place to refine and develop on the gameplay present in the first two Acts of MGS4- stealth on the battlefield. That concept was excellent in the first half of the game and I'd really like to see it given its own full game.

psycho_snake

traveler said:
I know everyone else is wanting Raiden's adventures for the next MG, but I think the logical next step would be a MG starring The Boss as the primary character during WW2. Not only would it explore a bit of MG lore that has yet to be really elaborated on, but it'd also be a perfect place to refine and develop on the gameplay present in the first two Acts of MGS4- stealth on the battlefield. That concept was excellent in the first half of the game and I'd really like to see it given its own full game.
This needs to happen.

Mideon

DrBo42 said:
Mideon are you referring to 1 point in the game or throughout?

I don't know if it just happens in Act 1 or at any point in the game when you die, I cant remember.

Just when you die you can see string coming off Snake's dead body.

DrBo42

traveler said:
I think The Boss should be left alone. If they try to fill in her backstory they're just going to fumble the character and make her sacrifice not as meaningful in MGS3. She should be off-limits IMO.

psycho_snake

FabCam said:
It is a bit dumb, but I think that they're trying to emphasize that they are full of rage or laughter to make you feel sorry for them when you hear why. Then you have to kill the innocent looking women.
But you hear why each one is the way they are after you kill them.

Maybe it would have been a bit more effective if they did tell you the story before you had to kill each one after they're back to being human. Even if it was like that I dont think I would've felt sorry for them, not with the way they act and talk.

One of the coolest parts about
act 4 was when you get the socom gun from mgs1 and snake says just like old times or something like that. almost brought a tear to my eye. that area was so damn nostalgic

edit: is it safe to say mgs 4 is now the undisputed graphics king? i can't even think of a game that comes close
THAT INCLUDES YOU TOO PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zefah said:
What I really want to know is
what happened to Raiden in between MGS2 and MGS4. He seemed perfectly human in MGS2 and I wonder what happened that turned him into a half-cyborg.
This is the very first poster of the game, published in May 2005:

http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/7140...ges/metal-gear-solid-4-20050517061911214.html
metal-gear-solid-4-20050517061911214.jpg

We see Raiden carrying a baby! I assume that in the beginning Kojima intended to show us his adventure but in the end scrapped that part. The factor little time/high cost may have played its part. Also, we see Big Boss "resurrected"! Many things about the plot changed down the course, as it seems.

EDIT: Maybe it's not Raiden, does he have... boobs?

DrBo42

Mideon said:
I don't know if it just happens in Act 1 or at any point in the game when you die, I cant remember.

Just when you die you can see string coming off Snake's dead body.
I can understand it if you saw the strings come off during the Mantis fight. If you look at the people she controls, they have puppet strings attached. When you use a certain item to break her control of you, you can see the strings break off of Snake.

FabCam

psycho_snake said:
Maybe it would have been a bit more effective if they did tell you the story before you had to kill each one after they're back to being human. Even if it was like that I dont think I would've felt sorry for them, not with the way they act and talk.

It's kind of weird as you have to shoot and kill an unarmed young woman. I think when you speak to Drebin afterwards, it's meant to make you feel sorry for her.

DrBo42

FabCam said:
It's kind of weird as you have to shoot and kill an unarmed young woman. I think when you speak to Drebin afterwards, it's meant to make you feel sorry for her.
I don't think it's even meant to make you feel sorry for them. In fact, Snake says "Is that supposed to make me feel sorry?" or something to that effect to Drebin. I was under the impression that we were made to feel like it's just something we had to do, and not to be torn about it. Snake's dialogue completely mirrored what I was thinking and feeling.

Edit: Just thought about it more. It reminded me of a line Drebin said "War transforms us, into beasts." Perhaps we're made to feel completely desensitized to fighting and taking down the BB unit. I felt like I just had to get the job done, no remorse. In my first time through, all I thought was "Where is that son of a bitch, Liquid?" :lol They were just obstacles to me.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
bdizzle said:
act 4 was when you get the socom gun from mgs1 and snake says just like old times or something like that. almost brought a tear to my eye. that area was so damn nostalgic

Where did you find it? I looked where I thought it would be, but no cigar

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
bdizzle said:

edit: is it safe to say mgs 4 is now the undisputed graphics king? i can't even think of a game that comes close

The presentation is unprecedented, but on a strictly technical level, the game isn't particularly impressive. The cohesive style and presentation make the game look really amazing and I think it is definitely one of the best looking games on consoles right now, but undisputed graphics king? no.

Awesome a friend of mine just gave me the giant gamestop MGS4 posters he took down from GS! So awesome. I got the SS one and my buddy got the Raiden one. Pics when I get it framed.

traveler

Not Wario
DrBo42 said:
I think The Boss should be left alone. If they try to fill in her backstory they're just going to fumble the character and make her sacrifice not as meaningful in MGS3. She should be off-limits IMO.

To be honest, I liked the idea more for its chance to explore the battlefield gameplay than anything else. I couldn't give a crap about the actual story- I just thought that it was a good premise to explore said gameplay that had already been provided by the universe.

Ploid 3.0

DrBo42 said:
Just did my first ever no alert, no kill playthrough in an MGS game. Somehow it made the experience better. http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i298/drbo/MGS4complete.jpg[/IMG]

When it say no continue do it count loading a save as a continue? Mgs used to have save counts. I'm guessing they combined continue and saves this time. So if you guys screw up you have to start from the beginning?

DrBo42

traveler said:
To be honest, I liked the idea more for its chance to explore the battlefield gameplay than anything else. I couldn't give a crap about the actual story- I just thought that it was a good premise to explore said gameplay that had already been provided by the universe.
I know dude. It's all you talk about. :lol

Ploid 3.0 said:
When it say no continue do it count loading a save as a continue? Mgs used to have save counts. I'm guessing they combined continue and saves this time. So if you guys screw up you have to start from the beginning?
You can load a save without a penalty.

Chiggs

Gold Member
bdizzle said:

I was with you up until the spoiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom