• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
psycho_snake said:
Going back to the bosses, the reason why their personalties annoyed me so much ws their stupid dialogue. For instace, I just hated how raging raven would say "show me your rage" or laughing octopus would say "laugh with me". It just sounds stupid imo.

I think its stupid too and kind of annoying but at the same time adds a bit of a comic book feel to the game which I kind of enjoy.. I dunno if that makes sense.. :lol

DrBo42

haunts said:
I think its stupid too and kind of annoying but at the same time adds a bit of a comic book feel to the game which I kind of enjoy.. I dunno if that makes sense.. :lol
Yeah, it's campy. I know what you're trying to say.

AzerPhire

Yea I would say its a combination of awesome player models, and effects that make it look as good as it does. The environment (textures and geometry) and lighting are just average.

Flo_Evans

One gripe I have, is that the flashlight attachments are damn near useless. I was all pumped for some tight close quarters sneaking with the flashlight on my guns when I got to the tanker but there was really no where to effectively use it.

A Boss Metal Gear would rock, I loved the old weapons and retro-high tech gear big boss had. But then again I love the "near future" super high tech stuff in the "present" day ones too.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh my god!
Aiming at Raiden when he battles Vamp, Snake says: "No, I can't do it!"
!!!!!!!

haunts

Bacon of Hope
BruceLeeRoy said:
This is kind of a embarassing post but..I am so blown away by this game, truly just astounded by it.

Have any of you read a book where because of the great character development you start to just
love the scenarios and general world created so much that there comes a moment when you realize
your getting close to the end and you start reading really slowly trying to delay getting to the end
as much as possible.

This game is doing that to me...Now that I am in Act 4 I just dont want this thing to end....

After thinking it over I felt this way last night when playing.. it was more like Ive been reading this "book" for like 10 years or something now and cant believe its coming to an end more or less.

Sounds corny but playing through this, with the flash backs and stuff actually brought back memories of me playing MGS1 and the others, the things I was doing and the people I and places I was getting involved with at that time in my life. Its like damn this series has been with me a long ass time.

For example, I remember with MGS 1, I was in high school at the time and my mom was just barley making ends meet and she did everything she could to buy that game for me. It was the one game I wanted that year and I know she didnt have the money for it but she showed up with it a couple days later. I played the shit out of that game, played through it so many damn times..

With MGS2, I didnt play it when it came out, I had a falling out with gaming at the time and just had other things going on in my life. I heard a lot of negative press about the game and just passed on it. About 2 yrs after the release a good friend of mine at the time told me I really needed to check it out and forget what people said about the game. I sat down with it and after I was done with it I was kicking myself for listening to idiots who hated the game. Playing as Raiden was one of the best gaming experiences I had. Didnt play through it as much as MGS1 but still had a lot of fun with it.

With MGS3 I started playing it but then stopped. A few months later, thanksgiving rolled around and I dont think I was ont he best terms with my family so I decided to spend the whole holiday beating it. I had a lot of fun with it but didnt play through it as much as MGS1 and 2.

The NES versions I barely remember becuase I was so young.

Ahhh... so many memories.. and now this.. MGS4 wrapping up not only the series but now that I think about and era of my life where I now dont have as much time to dedicate to games and have to focus on more pressing parts of my life. I feel like I am old snake now..but im only 25. :lol

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Agreed with the flashlights, there were barely any dark portions in the game at all, whats the point?

Ploid 3.0

Seiken said:
Oh my god!
Aiming at Raiden when he battles Vamp, Snake says: "No, I can't do it!"
!!!!!!!

lol

Does anyone else think the way
Rose toss her hair around and move is pretty cool. MGS movie should look like this if there is ever one to be made

DrBo42

Raging Spaniard said:
Agreed with the flashlights, there were barely any dark portions in the game at all, whats the point?
The point is to temporarily stun your enemy, it works. The flashlights only come on briefly anyway. A good time to use it is while peeking around a corner when a guard is coming straight at you, buys you time for a clean headshot.

LALILULELO

Neo Member
In the beginning when the game starts and snake starts about talking how everything has changed, the war, control of it on different levels, and the reason why people fight. There is no idealogy or countries behind that, just the war economy.

this last topic, the reason, why made me think that unlike the previous Foxhound, Dead Cell and Cobra unit these woman didnt really had a reason to fight and the BB unit werent even fighters or soldiers to begin with. They were victims.

like everything else they were made like soldier units and controlled (nano machines etc).
I thought for the theme that MGS4 is, they were fitting as completely "character-less" killing drones. I didnt expect them to be talky-talky like the other ones cause in their shell they are just that, mindless killing machines without any personality. Vicitms of war put in a shell to serve the war.

Untill ofcourse you get them out of their shell and they reveal their "real" uncontrolled state, a psychological wreck that can only walk towards you and try to hug you in need of love? Again also in this state i dont see them being able to have a conversation with Snake and they shouldnt, that would weaken them as they now are portrayed as emotional wrecks any talking or normal conversation would break that illusion.

Snake's response in why he should care about them, like previous poster is fitting, as Snake, like us didnt see them as living people anymore either.
Just emotional wrecks controlled by others...character less
So to get some BG info about them it had to come through a different person, enter Drebin.

my conclusion, this is done deliberatelly (ofcourse) in order to stick to the theme and to make it feel different like before MGS'ses.
..war has changed..its not what Snake and you the player are used to(or expecting). These girls are supposed to be character devoid killing drones.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
chespace said:
...and then there's the Naomi/Otacon cutscene at the end of Act 4. Why do almost all the most embarassing MGS moments come from Otacon?

isn't that what otacon is for? from the moment of his pants-pissing, anime-referencing entrance, i think he's been there to inject that incongruous messy human element into the prevailing badassness. though as his japanese voice actor observes in the making-of bd, he's gotten sort of good-looking over the years.

i think the sneaking gameplay in acts 4 and 5 is quite as good as anything in the first two acts...but i certainly wish there was more of it. i don't have many problems with the overall volume of gameplay, or the balance of gameplay to cutscenes, but i think it might have been distributed better.
that all of the battlefield stuff happens in the first two acts is going to strike a lot of people as a letdown...particularly if they're not interested in the cinematics. and i think it's the act structure that makes act 5 seem problematic -- it makes a fine continuation of act 4's actiony climax, but it seems lacking if you expect it to weigh as much as the other acts.

Flo_Evans

jasonbay said:
I nearly got pissed at the game

I thought there for a second that they killed Meryl

I actually thought to myself: DAMN I hope some people die soon!
Everyone was coming back to life and happy happy ending. Sure BB and Zero die, but who really gave a crap about Zero? Was sad to see BB go, but he was supposed to be dead all ready. Raiden dies like 3x and is fine at the end. I guess your "mom" dies, but I never really felt that much connection to her. Shit in my MGS world meryl is already dead because I could never withstand Ocelots torture in the 1st one :lol to me there was no BIG death where you where like OMFG I am so pissed at that guy who just killed my GF/cyborg ninja friend/dog

Also:

Is it weird that I missed getting caught and figuring out how to break out of prison in this one? I always liked those parts of the previous games.

ianp622

traveler said:
To be honest, I liked the idea more for its chance to explore the battlefield gameplay than anything else. I couldn't give a crap about the actual story- I just thought that it was a good premise to explore said gameplay that had already been provided by the universe.

Well if MGS5 was about Raiden, it could start at the beginning with Raiden as a child soldier fighting in a battle. (Like a playable flashback) This would also allow us to learn more about Solidus, since we don't really know much about how he came about.

Raist

Banned
Steiner_Zi said:
EDIT: Maybe it's not Raiden, does he have... boobs?

It's Olga.

Seriously tho, for some reason I always thought Raiden in MGS4 looks much more like Olga than MGS2's Raiden. Color hair, shape of the nose, etc.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Giant Robot said:
underneath the truck in front of the door before you enter the hangar on Shadow Moses

DAMN, originally on the flashback I went IN the truck, cause it used to be behind the box, but they didnt have it there and that discouraged me, then in the real game since the truck didnt have an opening, I was just like "fuck it"

TheOddOne

ianp622 said:
Well if MGS5 was about Raiden, it could start at the beginning with Raiden as a child soldier fighting in a battle. (Like a playable flashback) This would also allow us to learn more about Solidus, since we don't really know much about how he came about.

Expanding the ''child soldiers'' story would be awesome.

Flo_Evans

DrBo42 said:
The point is to temporarily stun your enemy, it works. The flashlights only come on briefly anyway. A good time to use it is while peeking around a corner when a guard is coming straight at you, buys you time for a clean headshot.

They work, but the only real dark parts of the game are in act2 in the wide open field. I actually went automatically to the customize screen when I got to outer haven and put flashlights on all my guns but I never got a chance to really use them. Works good online though with the shotgun in the dark hallways :)

Raging Spaniard

drohne said:
isn't that what otacon is for? from the moment of his pants-pissing, anime-referencing entrance, i think he's been there to inject that incongruous messy human element into the prevailing badassness. though as his japanese voice actor observes in the making-of bd, he's gotten sort of good-looking over the years.

i think the sneaking gameplay in acts 4 and 5 is quite as good as anything in the first two acts...but i certainly wish there was more of it. i don't have many problems with the overall volume of gameplay, or the balance of gameplay to cutscenes, but i think it might have been distributed better.
that all of the battlefield stuff happens in the first two acts is going to strike a lot of people as a letdown...particularly if they're not interested in the cinematics. and i think it's the act structure that makes act 5 seem problematic -- it makes a fine continuation of act 4's actiony climax, but it seems lacking if you expect it to weigh as much as the other acts.

The problem with acts 4 and 5 in terms of stealth gameplay, is that once you have the RAILGUN, why should you use stealth at all? Too tempting to just kill off everything, even if the setup for going unnoticed is much more challenging. I did think that the first part of Outer Haven was very well thought out, there's a whole lot of different ways to get trough the thing

bdizzle said:
One of the coolest parts about
act 4 was when you get the socom gun from mgs1 and snake says just like old times or something like that. almost brought a tear to my eye. that area was so damn nostalgic

The tear worthy part is that the psyche gauge filled up as well. Poor Old Snake, i really do feel sorry for him. I dont remember any main character that was abused as much.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
yeah, that outer haven deck with the gekkos and the frogs on caution is one of my favorite areas in the game...but it's just one area. i generally deplore filler in games, and i'm glad that mgs4 is so lean, but man, i'd be perfectly happy if they copied that area 3 or 4 times with different enemy placements and so on.

1stStrike

Banned
You guys do know that Naked Snake spent something like 10 years with the boss before MGS3 took place right? There's a whole bunch of untapped time line there. Just like with Raiden's child hood.

However, I don't believe they should make a game based on this..I really don't want them to screw with the history of big boss and the boss. To be honest, I would rather a new cast of characters come in and start a new story with references to the "old" story as appropriate.

Wait.... I may have missed something. How exactly did Solidus fit in the whole story?
If big momma gave birth to 2 twins.... what about solidus?
Is it mentioned in the game... or in the past? I don't remember.

Darkpen

Banned
Raist said:
It's Olga.

Seriously tho, for some reason I always thought Raiden in MGS4 looks much more like Olga than MGS2's Raiden. Color hair, shape of the nose, etc.
lol, what?

What's this about raiden and boobs? I see no boobs on a ninja in that poster. And again, no, not really. Raiden in MGS4 looks like Raiden in MGS2. He just so happens to have a cybernetic suit and a ninja sword now.

Acid08

Banned
So I'm guessing(Raiden)

That he got surgery to have an entirely new body? Did I miss the explanation, or did it just kind of happen? I know he was supposed to just be a head and spine.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Wait.... I may have missed something. How exactly did Solidus fit in the whole story?

Solidus was a genetic twin of Big Boss i beleive

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Acid08 said:
So I'm guessing(Raiden)

That he got surgery to have an entirely new body? Did I miss the explanation, or did it just kind of happen? I know he was supposed to just be a head and spine.

Can't be.
In the ending he has marks on his back, similar to the dialysis machine.

Darkpen

Banned
Acid08 said:
So I'm guessing(Raiden)

its just an assumption, but I think most people came to the conclusion that they surgically put a bunch of body parts back together (perhaps his originally body), based on how it looks like he was stitched together like Frankenstein or something.

SnakeXs said:
Can't be.
regardless of the dialysis machine marks, he was mostly machine. As to whether his new body is flesh and blood, or if its just an aesthetic change to look human, who knows

Acid08

Banned
SnakeXs said:
Can't be.
But I thought it was 100% confirmed by Kojima and KP that Raiden was just a head and spine?

Flo_Evans

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Solidus from what I remember was cloned later than solid and liquid. He became president of the United States :lol then tried to remake outer heaven in MGS2.
His corpse is the one in act.3 in the van

Acid08

Banned
Darkpen said:
its just an assumption, but I think most people came to the conclusion that they surgically put a bunch of body parts back together (perhaps his originally body), based on how it looks like he was stitched together like Frankenstein or something.
I though those marking looked like his suit actually. Like the lines where the suit parts connected were all over his body.

Raging Spaniard

Acid08 said:
But I thought it was 100% confirmed by Kojima and KP that Raiden was just a head and spine?

Its Metal Gear man, with all the crazy science that happens in those games,
stitching a dude up should be not much of a problem

Teknoman

Ok maybe this isnt obvious to me since I havent had the chance to play MGS1 but
Whats with the whole Mei Ling ass thing? I mean yeah its nice and all, but the whole Act 5 briefing and Act 5 opening was centered with ass shots or her ending up in positions that showed off her body.
Was there something that went on in MGS1 besides
Snake hitting on her early on
?

Also I still dont know where its explained in game why Raiden is now a Cyborg Ninja.

Acid08

Banned
Teknoman said:
Whats with the whole Mei Ling ass thing? I mean yeah its nice and all, but the whole Act 5 briefing and Act 5 opening was centered with ass shots or her ending up in positions that showed off her body.
?
Kojima likes showing off the ladies. That's it I think.

Teknoman said:
?

Nope she is just the designated fanservice/moe character. Meryl looks/acts too manly for that.

AKS

traveler said:
I know everyone else is wanting Raiden's adventures for the next MG, but I think the logical next step would be a MG starring The Boss as the primary character during WW2. Not only would it explore a bit of MG lore that has yet to be really elaborated on, but it'd also be a perfect place to refine and develop on the gameplay present in the first two Acts of MGS4- stealth on the battlefield. That concept was excellent in the first half of the game and I'd really like to see it given its own full game.

Where can I put my preorder $$$ for that game? I don't even need to know anything else about it to pony up the cash for that game. I've been hoping for such a game since MGS3.

Darkpen

Banned
Acid08 said:
I though those marking looked like his suit actually. Like the lines where the suit parts connected were all over his body.
I never looked at his back in detail, because I thought it was old snake, like everyone else, when it was actually Raiden. If there are dialysis machine marks, then, whatever, but you have to admit that he has more color in his skin tone than before.

Ceb

Lostconfused said:
The tear worthy part is that the psyche gauge filled up as well. Poor Old Snake, i really do feel sorry for him. I dont remember any main character that was abused as much.

I felt sorry for him when he had to sit and watch while
Naomi and Otacon were bonding. Also how Mei Ling mostly ignored him now except for a pity pat on the shoulder.

Teknoman said:
?

Also I still dont know where its explained in game why Raiden is now a Cyborg Ninja.

in MGS1 there are gratuitous ass shots of Meryl when she steals a costume to break out of her prison cell. Snake notices that its a woman by noticing the way her ass moves. Mei Ling's ass thing was just fanservice. Also, the costume that Meryl steals in MGS1 was stolen from Johnny Akiba. You wouldn't know that during the flashbacks when Johnny Akiba confesses his love for Meryl if you havent played MGS1.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Play MGS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom