• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wakim said:
Couple of quick questions (first probably isn't a spoiler):

Who is Snake visiting in the graveyard? He didn't know the Boss?

Did Ocalot substitute Solidus body and make off with the real Big Boss body, or was it Solidus all along.

Snake doesnt know The Boss because his dad, Big Boss, killed her in the 1960's

And i believe Eva said she swapped out Big Boss's real body during the chase in Europe. The real Big Boss was awaken after the GW was destroyed....i think

RobertM

Flo_Evans said:
Solidus from what I remember was cloned later than solid and liquid. He became president of the United States :lol then tried to remake outer heaven in MGS2.
No, he tried to establish a republic called "Sons of Liberty" similar to Zanzibar land, but ultimately he was going against the Patriots.

RobertM said:
No, he tried to establish a republic called "Sons of Liberty" similar to Zanzibar land, but ultimately he was going against the Patriots.

Well, it was pretty blatant actually. He wanted a "Patriots free zone" that just so happened to have a population in it. :lol Daring plan!

...but admittedly the guy had
a trillion dollar submersible battle station with one of the Patriots AIs, 25 Metal Gears, a powerful splinter group, nuclear launch capability, and a Dr. Octopus suit so amazing that he could dual wield P90's. AND he was a former US president working with a Patriots' double agent.

He must have figured it was worth a shot. :lol

Ploid 3.0

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Because pussy gamers would complain about wanting to play when they start a new game and not want to watch more cutscenes. I personally wouldn't have minded it being included...

Also, I have a huge question that seems to break the game's plot WIDE open....:
If Solid and Liquid clones of Big Boss, "created" by the Patriots. Why the hell was Solid NOT at all controlled by them from the beginning to NOT attack/kill Big Boss (their supposed "icon"? To NOT foil their plans to control everything? Why was he able to retire peacefully until Shadow Moses without having to do some sort of dirty work for the Patriots? Why did he have so few missions if he was supposed to be a supreme soldier to represent the fallen Big Boss? And why was he allowed to be branded a traitor (leader of dead cell) if he was supposed to be Big Boss 2? They had all this control over Solidus... what gives?

SS has been playing to the patriots tune up until he put the
virus into GW in mgs4. He also killed Big Boss and Zero at the end just as the Patriots planned. Big boss was against the patriots in mg1 and 2. He left Zero's Patriots when Zero started getting greedy and away from what Big Boss thought The Boss wanted.

Okay, I just finished this around 6-something in the morning and I realized, I need to do a second playthrough.

For some reason, alot of the "OMFG" scenes, I wasn't too excited about. Browsing that Metal Gear thread that was around a while ago explaining the storylines also spoiled things from me, since alot of the revelations in this game were speculated around then. I should've just stayed in a total blackout. i didnt have that euphoric experience like the lot of you, mostly because the long ass cutscenes just didn't hold my attention alot of the time.

honestly, I really do wish they lessened the cutscenes towards the end, since I just wanted to play the damned game. i wanna sneak around and do badass things, not watch it happen. I wasn't too impressed with the ending (however, the scene after had me shit myself five times.
As soon as "BIG BOSS" came up and his voice actor during the credits, I was just like "NO FUCKING WAY OMGGGGGGGGGG"

HAVING SAID THAT, it was an amazing game overall. Probably my favorite of this gen. I'm gonna replay this sucker and try to do a stealth run and try new unconventional things.

act 3 > 4 > 2> 1 > 5

stuff i loved:
- motorcycle chase in act 3. best fucking shit ever omg. is it possible to just watch the cinematic and make it through without shooting anybody? only time i just wanted to watch, damnit!
- rex vs. ray. EPIC
- raiden doing a windmill with the gekkos :lol
- microwave. not looking forward to doing that again though, my thumb is destroyed..
- snake lives! XD
- big fucking mama
- the graphics WOWOWOWOW
- shadow moses OMGGG
- even though the game is linear, i loved the multiple ways to get to your location, most of the time

mixed feelings/didn't like
- raiden doesnt die? so anticlimatic. even though deep down, im glad he lives, it just really took away from the drama
- johnny? he just comes out of nowhere and hes just a total badass now. what? now hes married to meryl? he seemed like he'd be some super badass guy with an integral part of the plot, but hes just some comic relief.
- meryls muscular physique. ughhh boner kill
- the last boss fight. very dramatic but a pain to control
- how everyone treated sunny like a nuisance :(
- the ending. ehgh.
- CQC. just cant..get it..
- load screens/installs. FUCK. WHY MUST IT INSTALL ALL THE TIME? second and third playthroughs are gonna be a pain cause of the reinstalls.
- BB corps. awesome lookign bosses, extremely uninteresting backstories. mgs1 still had the best bosses

questions
- so how exactly did raiden rescue sunny? why does she have that speech problem? mgs2 ended with "i must rescue sunny" and 4 started with sunny going up and down the stairs. what?

- when ocelot "activates it", what the hell is he activating?

- how do they lose control of the patriots? like it was started up by the mgs3 crew, but now its all AI? can someone give me the sparknotes version of what happened?

also. please, id love some tips for sneaking and using the octocamo for good effect? even if im 99% camo'd, enemies still see me and hard mode is unforgiving :(

Darkpen

Banned
again, from the database thread:

I'm confused.

Looking through Ocelot and Liquid Ocelot's entries, the way they explain Liquid Ocelot is very awkward.

Its like they can't decide whether or not Ocelot's psyche was actually taken over by Liquid Snake, or if it was all a ruse, and Ocelot was pretending all along, as stated in the ending of the game.

It also makes me ask why in the world he Liquid's arm replaced with a prosthetic one.

Did Liquid's spirit actually take control of Ocelot at times, or was that a ruse as well? Why does the database say that his psyche became balanced again once Liquid's arm was replaced with a prosthetic one, yet at the same time, it says that Liquid's psyche supposedly took over Ocelot, yet (again) at the same time, it says that Ocelot had merely had himself hypnotized and had a bunch of nanomachine related stuff done to him to make himself believe that he was Liquid?

I'm so fucking confused. This isn't written right....

rcua1884

Darkpen said:

I'm confused.

Looking through Ocelot and Liquid Ocelot's entries, the way they explain Liquid Ocelot is very awkward.

Its like they can't decide whether or not Ocelot's psyche was actually taken over by Liquid Snake, or if it was all a ruse, and Ocelot was pretending all along, as stated in the ending of the game.

It also makes me ask why in the world he Liquid's arm replaced with a prosthetic one.

Did Liquid's spirit actually take control of Ocelot at times, or was that a ruse as well? Why does the database say that his psyche became balanced again once Liquid's arm was replaced with a prosthetic one, yet at the same time, it says that Liquid's psyche supposedly took over Ocelot, yet (again) at the same time, it says that Ocelot had merely had himself hypnotized and had a bunch of nanomachine related stuff done to him to make himself believe that he was Liquid?

I think it's written that way as to avoid spoiling those who haven't played MGS4. You'll notice that when referring to the Big Shell incident, they'll talk about him in a certain way, but when you get to the pages marked with "4" in the lower right corner, they talk about how
Ocelot hypnotized himself and the whole nanomachine deal

Darkpen

Banned
rcua1884 said:
I think it's written that way as to avoid spoiling those who haven't played MGS4. You'll notice that when referring to the Big Shell incident, they'll talk about him in a certain way, but when you get to the pages marked with "4" in the lower right corner, they talk about how
Ocelot hypnotized himself and the whole nanomachine deal
the way they word it in all parts of both ocelot and liquid ocelot is awkward. The pages I'm talking about art parts that are only unlocked with the completion save file, so it makes no sense to be so ambiguous.

Xtyle

Darkpen said:

I'm confused.

Well, maybe having a psychical body part of Liquid attached to him, it helped him easier to transform into Liquid. making him really believe the arm is possessing him? Like how psychology works in a sense.

effingvic said:
Questions
- so how exactly did raiden rescue sunny? why does she have that speech problem? mgs2 ended with "i must rescue sunny" and 4 started with sunny going up and down the stairs. what?

- when ocelot "activates it", what the hell is he activating?

- how do they lose control of the patriots? like it was started up by the mgs3 crew, but now its all AI? can someone give me the sparknotes version of what happened?

no idea, the game doesn't explain, and since Dr. Madnar is supposed to be dead the whole thing is ???
she has lived so much of her life on the net that her speech ability is much weaker, this is why Naomi essentially says "aha!" when finding out Sunny's computing abilities.
the SOP control. Turn off SOP, and suddenly all of the cloaked pains rush back. Take SOP control...and people start shooting each other. Guns of the Patriots.
Big Boss picked a fight with Zero. Ocelot, Eva joined him whereas Siginit and Paramedic were on Zero's side. Zero, losing trust in everybody, decided to automate the system before he became too old to pull the strings himself, while Big Boss was too busy fighting off clones and attempting rebellion.

With Zero an invalid, Paramedic dead at the hands of the Cyborg Ninja, and Sigint tortured to death by Ocelot (MGS1), the AIs were functionally the Patriots.

Lostconfused said:
Seeing Raiden do the things that he can do in the cutscenes, it would just feel wrong to have him restrained to normal MGS4 gameplay.

But could you imagine a Raiden Vs
Vamp fight (both times) that played out like the final boss battle?
Holy Hell that'd be amazing!!!!!!

Crazymoogle said:
My memory is a bit rusty, but...

Solidus = former US president and the perfect Big Boss 2, as stated clearly in MGS2. The Patriots were interested in how Solid and Liquid developed, but Solidus was essentially everything they paid for minus some early aging. Solid freaked out after MG2, so they let him get himself back together for a bit until he was needed (read: the unforseen Shadow Moses incident). With Big Boss out of the picture and 3 clones, why bother running all three of them into the ground? Especially the "inferior" one? They already had a top-notch FOXHOUND replacement and a president.

Presumably Snake's orders in MG2 to kill Big Boss are due to his war against the Patriots. Even if the guy serves as a genetic key, Zero obviously wanted to shut him down.

By MGS2, Snake was no longer the new incarnation of the Big Boss messiah idea; he was a tool to help the Patriots train the next generation. The Patriots saw how easily their clones could go off the rails, and started following a plan to create more easily influenced super-soldiers. I mean, two of the three clones attempted to defeat their masters personally, so they had to know the cloning plan wasn't working out.

Oh yeah... forgot he was the "inferior" one. Liquid thought Solid was superior. Thanks for the that.

But I know Solidus is the cream of the crop of the clones. There's just no mention (to my knowledge) of where he came from.
If Big Momma gave birth to the twin snakes... where did Solidus come from... and where is this info stated? I didn't find it in the database. It just jumped back and forth from 3 being created to 2 being created....

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Oh yeah... forgot he was the "inferior" one. Liquid thought Solid was superior. Thanks for the that.

But I know Solidus is the cream of the crop of the clones. There's just no mention (to my knowledge) of where he came from.
If Big Momma gave birth to the twin snakes... where did Solidus come from... and where is this info stated? I didn't find it in the database. It just jumped back and forth from 3 being created to 2 being created....

I'm a bit hazy on the details, but I thought Solidus was
a backup plan; a second rev, if you will, involving a different mother but shared components from the original cloning. I really doubt Eva gave birth to him.

Anyone notice these interesting parallels?

Raiden - Grey Fox (child soldiers, cyborg ninja remake)

Ocelot - Sunny (taken from mother after birth by the patriots)

Crazymoogle said:
I'm a bit hazy on the details, but I thought Solidus was
a backup plan; a second rev, if you will, involving a different mother but shared components from the original cloning. I really doubt Eva gave birth to him.

Ah. ok. As you can tell, I'm also a bit hazy. I've been trying to figure this out since completing the game.

Crazymoogle said:
no idea, the game doesn't explain, and since Dr. Madnar is supposed to be dead the whole thing is ???
she has lived so much of her life on the net that her speech ability is much weaker, this is why Naomi essentially says "aha!" when finding out Sunny's computing abilities.
the SOP control. Turn off SOP, and suddenly all of the cloaked pains rush back. Take SOP control...and people start shooting each other. Guns of the Patriots.
Big Boss picked a fight with Zero. Ocelot, Eva joined him whereas Siginit and Paramedic were on Zero's side. Zero, losing trust in everybody, decided to automate the system before he became too old to pull the strings himself, while Big Boss was too busy fighting off clones and attempting rebellion.

With Zero an invalid, Paramedic dead at the hands of the Cyborg Ninja, and Sigint tortured to death by Ocelot (MGS1), the AIs were functionally the Patriots.

Thanks for that.
So the seizures are caused by all the pain, guilty and everything rushing back all at once? That explains a great deal. Also, Frank Jaegar was the one that killed para-medic? I shat my pants when I found out that sigint was the DARPA chief :lol

Also, am I the only one disappointed that the Love Theme (SSBB) was absent from the game :( It would've been totally epic.

Blader

Darkpen said:
You mean Nastasha Romanenko? Who's Natasha?

It doesn't explain everything, though, you're right. I wish there was more info in it :(

Like, for example, there's a clear lack of more info on Raiden.

Wasn't Nastaha presumed dead at the beginning of MGS2? Snake or Otacon, or someone, said that she hadn't been heard from since she published her tell-all book on the events of MGS1.

Darkpen

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Anyone notice these interesting parallels?

Raiden - Grey Fox (child soldiers, cyborg ninja remake)

Ocelot - Sunny (taken from mother after birth by the patriots)
There are a shit load of parallels, what are you talking about. D:

Another one is Sunny and Naomi. This one is harder to grasp because its not as obvious, but if you watch the mission briefing for act 3, when Otacon talks about Sunny going through the internet, searching for family, you see a reaction from Naomi, and instantly, there's a connection between Sunny and Naomi, because of Naomi's own past and how she tried to find her family and past through genetic research.

Darkpen

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Wasn't Nastaha presumed dead at the beginning of MGS2? Snake or Otacon, or someone, said that she hadn't been heard from since she published her tell-all book on the events of MGS1.
According to Gametrailers (and now officially, the Database), Nastasha wrote "In the darkness of Shadow Moses" (or whatever that's called), which was touched upon in MGS2's extra content, and used the money and royalties she got from writing that to help fund Philanthropy, and she herself retired from all the money she got from the book.

Darkpen said:
There are a shit load of parallels, what are you talking about. D:

Another one is Sunny and Naomi. This one is harder to grasp because its not as obvious, but if you watch the mission briefing for act 3, when Otacon talks about Sunny going through the internet, searching for family, you see a reaction from Naomi, and instantly, there's a connection between Sunny and Naomi, because of Naomi's own past and how she tried to find her family and past through genetic research.

Haha. at first I started the thread with "The many parallels:" but drew a blank after those two and didn't feel like listing off the more obvious ones lol. Guess I'm tired. I never thought of that Naomi/Sunny connection though. It even works with her relationship to Raiden in a way.

No_Style

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Awesome final battle, huh?

Yes. I died a few times, but once I got into it, I enjoyed it. One question, though...

Why did the two of them need the nanomachine suppressing syringe? I'm guessing it was for a more "natural" (no enhancements) fight?

dralla

I have the LE version of the game and I noticed some air bubbles on the front cover, which obviously looked like shit. Than I noticed there's a piece of protective plastic on the front causing them to be there in the first place; I peeled off the plastic and the case looks much better. :] About the sticker on the back, did you guys leave it on there? It's a pain to peel it half way down to open the top, I just took it off too.

Solo

The back sticker is supposed to come off. As for the front, I don't believe the plastic there is meant to be removed.

mileS

The database is pretty amazing. Wasn't expecting this much information. All the things I didn't quite understand about MGS4's story have been cleared up.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
dralla said:
I have the LE version of the game and I noticed some air bubbles on the front cover, which obviously looked like shit. Than I noticed there's a piece of protective plastic on the front causing them to be there in the first place; I peeled off the plastic and the case looks much better. :] About the sticker on the back, did you guys leave it on there? It's a pain to peel it half way down to open the top, I just took it off too.
Took it off and put it inside my LE quide with all the stuff from the guide/litho.

Originally Posted by MoonsaultSlayer:
Awesome final battle, huh?

Yes. I died a few times, but once I got into it, I enjoyed it. One question, though...

Why did the two of them need the nanomachine suppressing syringe? I'm guessing it was for a more "natural" (no enhancements) fight?
Not really answering your question but I died once and then the second time was EASY. I can't believe the mistakes I was in the first encounter. The visuals in the game were jaw dropping during those sections.

rinker

I'm having a rough time on a steath run of act 3...

The motorcycle part specifically. I'm using the double barrel shotgun with vrings since its too hard to aim while moving with the tranq pistol, but it takes forever to reload. And I've also tried spamming stun/smoke grenades and they don't work out so well. I just can't survive the whole way through without using an item and I'm going for 0 restorative items used. What have you guys done since I know a lot of you have done it on extreme and I'm only on hard.

dralla

rinker said:

The motorcycle part specifically. I'm using the double barrel shotgun with vrings since its too hard to aim while moving with the tranq pistol, but it takes forever to reload. And I've also tried spamming stun/smoke grenades and they don't work out so well. I just can't survive the whole way through without using an item and I'm going for 0 restorative items used. What have you guys done since I know a lot of you have done it on extreme and I'm only on hard.

Have you tried using the Auto-Aim?

1stStrike

Banned
Ahaha..ha..I finally beat the game on the boss extreme..got to the stats screen and.."Mantis". I'm like..WTF?! I look up..and..I have 1 kill in act 5.

I spent 3 1/2 hours on the final battle alone.....

*hangs himself*

I have to redo act 5 now... ><

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Solo said:
The back sticker is supposed to come off. As for the front, I don't believe the plastic there is meant to be removed.

it definitely is. I just took mine off and it looks so much better. It's just for protection.

1stStrike

Banned
rinker said:

I swapped back and forth between the tranq pistol and the shotty with vrings using auto-aim as necessary, then going back to regular aiming. In the last section, I just threw stun grenades and got off the occasional shot. You pretty much have to throw the stun grenades right where they walk up to, otherwise they just shoot your ass up till you die.

Took me around 30 tries to get past this part on extreme.

mileS

Do you get anything for beating the game on The Boss Extreme? I know I don't want to even try getting no alerts/kills on that difficulty so I was just wondering.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
wait a sec, i just beat chapter 1... its asking me to install the game again??
whats up with that, is it suppose to do that?!

Teknoman

Now that im on the last act...im kinda wondering what the point is of having this many weapons to choose from. Options are always cool, but as always its good to stick to silencer equipped weapons.

John Harker said:
wait a sec, i just beat chapter 1... its asking me to install the game again??
whats up with that, is it suppose to do that?!

Yeah I can't figure it out either. Although the install times are noticeably shorter. Hopefully this doesn't happen every single time I want to do a run.

I would love to have been given an option to use my PS2 controller to play this game. One of my biggest pet peeves is that unlike the old games, I can't quickly reload my weapons. I used to just lightly tap R2, and tap it again to be full of ammo. It takes forever for Snake to reload and has gotten me in alot of trouble. The R2 on the SUXASSES just can't gimme that feel, not to mention the option is disabled in MGS4 :(

Dragon

Banned
disappeared said:
Yeah I can't figure it out either. Although the install times are noticeably shorter. Hopefully this doesn't happen every single time I want to do a run.

It does an install every time you change a chapter.

jjasper

Teknoman said:
Now that im on the last act...im kinda wondering what the point is of having this many weapons to choose from. Options are always cool, but as always its good to stick to silencer equipped weapons.

For replay value. It is so each time you play the game you can use different weapons and strategies.

Just finished the game.

Act 4 has to be the most amazing gaming experience I've ever had, and the very last fight of Act 5 was awesome as well. Kojima really knows how to please the fans. :D

1stStrike

Banned
mileS said:
Do you get anything for beating the game on The Boss Extreme? I know I don't want to even try getting no alerts/kills on that difficulty so I was just wondering.

You get a face mask of "big boss" (crispy version of solidus), the patriot with unlimited ammo and of course, the rank. And the satisfaction of seeing guards flee in terror when they see you.

mileS

1stStrike said:
You get a face mask of "big boss" (crispy version of solidus), the patriot with unlimited ammo and of course, the rank. And the satisfaction of seeing guards flee in terror when they see you.

I'm talking about beating that difficulty without doing the no alerts/kills. Does unlocking the Patriot require getting the Big Boss rank?

Finished the game a second time. Also noticed that there is a typo in the credits. "Research" is spelling incorrectly in the "Research & Development" section. God, I absolutely love this game, typos and all.

Unlocked the
bandanna and solar gun
, and now I need that
stealth camo
. Don't think I'm good enough yet to earn it, so looks like I gotta save me some DP. Of course, I would love to get the
Patriot gun and Big Boss Camo
, but that's seemingly nigh impossible in my eyes. Much respect for those who can or have gotten that ranking.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
whats the point of pushing X during scenes? the ''flash backs' are all less than 1 sec and you really can't get anything out of it....

and say, where does the Database go after you DL? cant find...

jett

D-Member
I just finished Act 3...

Fuck this is the most self-indulgent shit I've ever witnessed. Holy overexposition Batman, someone needs to teach Kojima the meaning of the word "restraint". WTF is wrong with this guy? I want to actually PLAY this motherfucker.

No_Style said:

Liquid and Snake have old-gen nanomachines that react strangely with SOP. When SOP activated it caused the nanomachines in them to go haywire which leads to seizures. The syringe is filled with a fluid that newer nanomachines naturally secrete that keeps this problem from happening. It is sort of like an old school insulin shot as opposed to an automatic insulin pump. The problem is that the more you use it, the less it works, which means you have to use it more, creating this cycle. That is why Snake goes from sparingly using it to heroine-addict frequency towards the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom