• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
AmMortal said:
When Snake's Psyche gauge goes down during a cut-scenes, press X repeatedly to regain it.
Wow.

I'm hopefully going to wrap up my 3rd playthru tonight. After purposefully playing bad and making sure my game time over 35 hours, its sooo nice to just blast through the game fast for a change. I'm on a time crunch but I should be able to finish and get my FOXHOUND badge. Its no BB run but I'm proud o' myself. Only one alert the whole game and it happened in act 1. I thought the BB emblem would be impossible for me, but after finding the best paths this time I should be able to pull it off. ACT 3 is a beach of a time waster but they actually allow for that game in the records so its not bad. When you blast through the game like this, act 2 feels VERY long and Act 5 feels unbelievably short.

chubigans said:
You guys should really buy the guide. Comes with all kinds of awesome info like that. :D
THIS. I never buy strat guides but this one is excellent and even had a great section in the back that explains the whole story from beginning t0o end in one shot. I would never known that the Ipod tunes had effect without it.

rcua1884

gray_fox224 said:
The blu ray special on Koji-Pro is really well done.
The first part of that documentary was really intriguing. I am not a big fan of the second section with the retrospective/localization documentary. I find Victor Lucas' voice really grating and he has this bizarre obsession with really bad techno music.

I want to see that doc so bad, but the LE was no where to be found in my area. I hope they make it free sometime in the future as a download or something.

Speevy

Banned
I was bored today, and let my juvenile mind wander.

Not really spoilers, but could spoil real aspects of the game.

Imagine what BB beauties might have been left out of the game.

Drebin explains:

A young Arab girl who fled her home after her entire family was killed by terrorists. She found refuge in a barn and slept with the donkeys. Night after night, she felt the hooves of the animals kicking her face. Except there were no donkeys. She was kicking her own face.

That is how she became: Kicking Ass

In another part of the world, a simple girl grew up on the farm. Each day, she would collect eggs from the chickens until one day tragedy struck. A tornado ravaged her farm house and killed all the chickens. An especially great loss was her prized rooster. He was pinned against the barn wall and crushed by a falling beam.

From that moment, she became... Sucking...C...well, you know.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Speevy said:

Drebin explains:

A young Arab girl who fled her home after her entire family was killed by terrorists. She found refuge in a barn and slept with the donkeys. Night after night, she felt the hooves of the animals kicking her face. Except there were no donkeys. She was kicking her own face.

In another part of the world, a simple girl grew up on the farm. Each day, she would collect eggs from the chickens until one day tragedy struck. A tornado ravaged her farm house and killed all the chickens. An especially great loss was her prized rooster. He was pinned against the barn wall and crushed by a falling beam.

Dude awesome, couldn't stop laughing.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
chubigans said:
I thought it was only in one location...just a stream. :p

Kinda sucks, but ah well.

It's in
Europe as well. Play the game on hard and you'll have to visit two water sections following the resistance guy. You can also swim underwater there.

Barakov

Speevy said:

Juvenile fan fiction

:lol ..........:|

There were issues with the way their backstories were told but that's pretty terrible.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
wow, for those of you who did the no alert/no kill on harder difficulties, I bow to you. Even on Easy it's a pain in the ass, especially since there's no "LOAD GAME" or "Restart from last checkpoint option" from the start menu. Those 1 second alerts are frustrating as all hell.

Speevy

Banned
Barakov said:
:lol ..........:|

There were issues with the way their backstories were told but that's pretty terrible.

That wasn't a jab at the game. I just really wanted to get those out there. Some you HAD to be thinking the same thing.

Magnus

I love you Speevy

I'd buy the guide if I could find it -- practically every retailer just decided to stop carrying guides all at once a month ago.

Barakov

Speevy said:
That wasn't a jab at the game. I just really wanted to get those out there. Some you HAD to be thinking the same thing.

Yeah, I know. The sad thing is I can see Drebin saying that. I missed the monologues of the bosses from MGS1. It's unfortunate in retrospect.
The stories might of had more impact if it was them telling them rather than getting a codec call from Drebin explaining what caused it.

Sorry if this has been covered before in this thread, but it is so immense. Regarding the MGS2 interpretation of the Patriots vs the Patriots in MGS4, are there any wise scholars of MGS lore out there?

I was bugged by how in MGS2 the Patriots were portrayed as kind of a secret illuminati organization that had some real people behind it. Like at the end Otacan says he found the names of the twelve founding members of the Patriots and they had been dead for over 100 years and one of them was their biggest contributor. What the heck? Did Kojima just do a ret-con or is there something in the game that explains what that was about? It seems to contradict Zero, Big Boss, etc being founding members.

Blablurn

I guess at that time (MGS2) Kojima didn't really know how to describe them :lol Just look at Snakes quote in MGS4 where he says that
these data were pure trash

monkspider said:
Sorry if this has been covered before in this thread, but it is so immense. Regarding the MGS2 interpretation of the Patriots vs the Patriots in MGS4, are there any wise scholars of MGS lore out there?

I was bugged by how in MGS2 the Patriots were portrayed as kind of a secret illuminati organization that had some real people behind it. Like at the end Otacan says he found the names of the twelve founding members of the Patriots and they had been dead for over 100 years and one of them was their biggest contributor. What the heck? Did Kojima just do a ret-con or is there something in the game that explains what that was about? It seems to contradict Zero, Big Boss, etc being founding members.

What he got was really the founding memebers of the Philosophers. As for one being a contributor, I have no clue.

Nemesis_

And, were the founding members of the Philosophers the same as the founding members of The Patriots?

Mgs2_sum13.jpg

Who are these guys?

Teknoman

Saiyu said:
Meh, there must be something wrong with me, I'm just not having much fun with this game....

I played the hell out of MGS and MGS2,2 being my (shock) favourite (well I did prefer FFVIII to FFVII....) and even played the original MG. I gave up on MGS 3 a little after the base with Raidenovich in it and I'm starting to get the same feeling I had when playing that game while on MGS4. Granted, I'm nowhere in this game, but I still find myself turning off after moving a few areas due to boredom or just indifference.

An example of something that really turned me off was the
militia base
. First milita I see recognises me, 2nd lets me pass I move into another room and as soon as I enter I get an alert without any audible or visual warning and the whole damn place is after me. Tired and pissed I decide to take advantage of the archaic mechanics of being able to enter another area and lose the guards and so follows much running around sponging bullets (I'm on Big Boss difficulty) to make it to the next area, where I endure a boring cut scene with the stereotypical black guy. Now I've liked cut scenes in MGS but this just came across as a mess - way too much filler with boring converations, little substance and no relevance. I'm not blind to say it's just like that in this edition of MGS (the Emma Emmerich cut scene springs to mind), but if this is an indication of what's coming I'll be very disappointed.

And don't get me started in the schizophrenic feel of the whole theme in the game (this is a sneaking mission, no wait here's a shedload of guns). While I see why this decision was made, and it being added as an option, ignoring the action oriented gameplay makes the game play pretty boring, hence my post.

Sure I'll probably finish it if only for the story, but I doubt I'm gonna enjoy this as much as 1 and 2.

Im gonna guess you're talking about Drebin...dont really see how he's the stereotypical black guy, also why would you start the game on Big Boss difficulty? If you dont even know your way around the game...doesnt really make sense to start on hard. That and I dont understand how you and that other guy got all the militia on you. I didnt even wear the costume once (they give it to you just in case you dont help the militia out) and they never attacked me. Maybe its because I helped them out earlier on
Blowing up two of the armored vehicles and helping them clear out the PMCs

But seriously, Drebin is anything but stereotypical.

Nemesis556 said:
And, were the founding members of the Philosophers the same as the founding members of The Patriots?

Mgs2_sum13.jpg

Who are these guys?

No they werent. You'll see soon enough

Nemesis556 said:

Mgs2_sum13.jpg

Who are these guys?

The Patroits are Zero, Big Boss, Eva, Sigint, Ocelot and paramedic. Those guys where the Wiseman's Committee of the Philosphers, that picture you see of them in MGS3 thats them. I think.

Raistlin

Speevy said:

Drebin explains:

:lol

The MGS database says that JD (the main AI of the Patriots) released a bunch of false info about the Patriots. Those twelve men were some of the false info.

Nemesis_

I've completed MGS4 three times, and that's why I was confused we only got 5 members when there were alledgedly twelve.

To be honest, I originally was hoping for twelve boss battles in the next game, each being a member of the Patriots. Too bad that never happened :lol Or maybe it turned out all Dead Cell and FOXHOUND (MGS1 Era) members were The Patriots and the battles were retooled battles with them.

Oh how my mind wandered during my early years :lol :lol :lol

But yeah, those twleve guys are the Wiseman's Committee, as in the founders of the Philosophers? One of those is Volgin's father, correct?

That being said, I was somewhat disappointed to find out that they weren't human anymore. When Drebin said "Not anymore they ain't" I assumed he meant they'd just gone crazy with power - which made me really fear them. The fact they were AIs kinda ruined it for me - but that being said, the fact AIs have so much power over everything is worrying itself :lol Kinda reminds me of Galerians though >_>

Teknoman

Gotta say I dont understand how people died at the final fight though.
Just play it like a fighting game...or if you really were fighting on top of a really high structure i.e. really carefully and you'll be fine :D

Farnack

Banned
Teknoman said:
Just play it like a fighting game...or if you really were fighting on top of a really high structure i.e. really carefully and you'll be fine :D
By playing Big Boss Hard first.

Liquid Ocelot's super strong punch sometimes comes up at a bad time when you're attacking and his quick strong punch is sometimes way too fast to get out of the way. That super punch takes off like a quarter of your life.

Nemesis_

Teknoman said:
I began on Big Boss Hard and didn't find it all that hard - I just didn't go in hitting everything in site. It took me longer but I got to savour the music more AND the battle wasn't so frustrating. Subsequent playthroughs posed no problem (though for some reason, Screaming Mantis did >_>)

Blablurn

Got a question about drebin

In South America, there is a flashback when snake and naomi hold the hands of the little ape. what's the deal with drebin's flashback in this moment?

Nemesis_

Blablurn said:
Got a question about drebin

In South America, there is a flashback when snake and naomi hold the hands of the little ape. what's the deal with drebin's flashback in this moment?
I think it was more of a flashback to some significant scientific moment in real history. The image resonated within myself when I first saw it in screenshots - it was strikingly familiar.

Nemesis_

BigBoss said:
It was an alien hoax.

LittleAlien.jpg
Ahhh yes there we go. I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

lol, ok. thank you. so i guess... it has no real meaning?
Considering that the image it's based off was a hoax,
it perhaps can be eluded to refer to the fact that Drebin is not all he seems?

eso76

Gen-X said:
I cried like a little wuss on the
Microwave
scene and I think the
microwave
scene made everyone at least tear up and/or make them sad. Do not lie I teared during that part for some reason maybe it was because you saw everyone on the verge of
dying/losing and trying to give Old Snake time to save the world.
I'm sorry but Kojima-San you rock!

that was very well done; it really made you think a lot of them
would die in that sequence. The microwave corridor was neverending, and Snake's energy kept going down (it's completely depleted a few seconds before the end of the corridor). Part of us knew he couldn't die there, but since Kojima has shown us Snake getting a permanent face scar before, i would expect him to be disfigured pretty badly before the end.
The game sounds very pessimistic, i was expecting to see a lot of characters dying; then of course i remembered Meryl at least would get to live on because of her role in policenauts -a few years later-, but even the fight with Ocelot was succesfull in making you think he kick Snake's ass. Then the game turns even too much benevolent towards most characters, everyone gets his/her happy ending.

This is by far my best run of any MGS game so far.
HPIM0698.jpg

Next stop, Big Boss. I lost allot of time on the first 2 acts, I think I could have done it faster. Its actually not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Once you know the general routes to take, its just execution. I was ONE freaking alert away from my Stealth Camo too : ( I got the alert on Act one but I didn't want to restart so I just went with it.

eso76 said:
that was very well done; it really made you think a lot of them
would die in that sequence. The microwave corridor was neverending, and Snake's energy kept going down (it's completely depleted a few seconds before the end of the corridor).
; /

at that point i just wanted the game to be over and clear up the story. i'm not even sure why he went through that if otacon did everything himself

1stStrike

Banned
The final fight on the boss extreme takes me at least 2 hours to get through every time I do it. Maybe I just suck, but I struggle with it. If you take more than a couple hits in the first part and god forbid you get hit in the 2nd part, then you won't have enough hp for the 3rd part. I haven't really been able to figure out exactly how to counter effectively in the 3rd part so I'm usually dodging and just throwing combos hoping for a lucky hit. I actually got through the 3rd part once and was like..phew..I beat it. The hp bars went away..and then I got hit in the face and died. I was just like..but..but..I WON D:

Oh and, I'm not as fast as some other people here but I still pulled it off. It took a lot of persistence. I'll never play MGS4 on extreme again..it's just torture =\

Overall..damn this was hard. But, now I can sit back and enjoy the game while getting the rest of the emblems (on my 4th play through..)

bigboss3.jpg

Mr. Spinnington said:
; /

at that point i just wanted the game to be over and clear up the story. i'm not even sure why he went through that if otacon did everything himself

Have you missed the part where Snakes protects the MKII form those mini Mechs?
Seems like you did. It seems you missed a hell lot of things...

Kowak

Banned
Nemesis556 said:

Mgs2_sum13.jpg

Who are these guys?

at the end of mgs2 otocon tells you that they had all been dead for 100 years. they were all fake.

Melfice7

Ok stupid question, how the hell do i use the special items? starting a new game from the completed save should do it right?

1stStrike said:
The final fight on the boss extreme takes me at least 2 hours to get through every time I do it. Maybe I just suck, but I struggle with it. If you take more than a couple hits in the first part and god forbid you get hit in the 2nd part, then you won't have enough hp for the 3rd part. I haven't really been able to figure out exactly how to counter effectively in the 3rd part so I'm usually dodging and just throwing combos hoping for a lucky hit. I actually got through the 3rd part once and was like..phew..I beat it. The hp bars went away..and then I got hit in the face and died. I was just like..but..but..I WON D:

Oh and, I'm not as fast as some other people here but I still pulled it off. It took a lot of persistence. I'll never play MGS4 on extreme again..it's just torture =\

Overall..damn this was hard. But, now I can sit back and enjoy the game while getting the rest of the emblems (on my 4th play through..)

bigboss3.jpg

If possible could you highlight the most frustrating points?
Act 1, all I can think of is the FROGS fight. Sneaking around the militia is effective with the disguise right, same with act 2?
I assume act 3 is a pain in the ass though, the tailing sequence. I'm sure of it.

Nemesis_

Melfice7 said:
Ok stupid question, how the hell do i use the special items? starting a new game from the completed save should do it right?
Play up until you meet Mk. II for the first time. =P

at the end of mgs2 otocon tells you that they had all been dead for 100 years. they were all fake.
Pretty sure the all lived at one point and had SOMETHING to do with the Patriots. Apparently it's the Wiseman's Committee >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom