• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen-X

Banned
I have to say that MGS4, just played with my emotions. I cried like a little wuss on the
Microwave
scene and I think the
microwave
scene made everyone at least tear up and/or make them sad. Do not lie I teared during that part for some reason maybe it was because you saw everyone on the verge of
dying/losing and trying to give Old Snake time to save the world. You saw Raiden almost getting killed...Mei Ling getting ready to do a last stand, the Colonel looking away because he couldn't bare to look at Snake and more importantly his friend...at the verge of death in the microwave, same thing goes for Rosemary, and Akiba/Meryl doing a last stand as well and them being together before they supposedly die. I think Kojima-San definitely delivered there, especially since he made that chamber look as it was never ending and Snakes suit just tearing up each time you went on.
I'm sorry but Kojima-San you rock!

SRG01

Do the helicopters count as a kill? I'm planning a fresh (no added equipment) BB speed-run and I'm thinking I might need to shoot down the helicopters in Act 3.

By the way, there was a brilliant speedrun posted of MGS3 back in the day and I think I'll follow that one. Nearly no tranqs were fired and mostly holdups.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
MyEpitomeCliché said:
Finished the game a second time. Also noticed that there is a typo in the credits. "Research" is spelling incorrectly in the "Research & Development" section. God, I absolutely love this game, typos and all.

on roughly that note, it drives me nuts that everyone pronounces 'psyche' as 'psych.' maybe it was written 'psych' in the actors' scripts or something

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
finally got it - ordered on slow delivery from Play-Asia...

anyways, literally only played to the very first save point so, well, not really played it as such!

i don't know what i expected the smoking snake to be, but it was quite cool. Install of 8 mins wasn't too bad, but not sure i appreciated the "Made you wait huh?" :shakefist!

The opening "thing" (i knew NOTHING about this and i'm glad i've avoided pretty much everything until now) i thought that was excellent - i knew nothing about it, and i started thinking "WTF is this..." then tried to skip and thought "wow, this is pretty damned cool"

into the game, Hayter's voice and the monologue were a bit off i thought. But the action and the inital cutscenes were fantastic.

Totally pumped up for the game, can't wait to get my teeth into it.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
drohne said:
on roughly that note, it drives me nuts that everyone pronounces 'psyche' as 'psych.' maybe it was written 'psych' in the actors' scripts or something

psych!

mileS

avoid this thread and play the shit out of it DCharlie. Some of the spoiler tags have been iffy here and there.

can't wait to hear what you have to say after you finish :D

Blader

jett said:
I just finished Act 3...

Fuck this is the most self-indulgent shit I've ever witnessed. Holy overexposition Batman, someone needs to teach Kojima the meaning of the word "restraint". WTF is wrong with this guy? I want to actually PLAY this motherfucker.

(neutral) jett
Mr. Negativity
(Today, 10:57 PM)
Reply | Quote

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Even if I hated this game with a passion, I would still forgive it simply due to the
MGS1 callback. I did not expect that at all and the way Snake wakes up from it as its a dream (mainly the transition from pixelated Snake to awesomely modeled Snake) made me laugh. Also, I didn't know this game was going to have us revisit Shadow Moses. I love Kojima for that, love him.

Teknoman

John Harker said:
whats the point of pushing X during scenes? the ''flash backs' are all less than 1 sec and you really can't get anything out of it....

and say, where does the Database go after you DL? cant find...

Its a program in the XMB.

Also the flashbacks are just meant to pair that character or situation with something that happened in past MG games or earlier on.

No_Style

snack said:
Liquid and Snake have old-gen nanomachines that react strangely with SOP. When SOP activated it caused the nanomachines in them to go haywire which leads to seizures. The syringe is filled with a fluid that newer nanomachines naturally secrete that keeps this problem from happening. It is sort of like an old school insulin shot as opposed to an automatic insulin pump. The problem is that the more you use it, the less it works, which means you have to use it more, creating this cycle. That is why Snake goes from sparingly using it to heroine-addict frequency towards the end.

SOP is gone though...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There are a few typos in the subtitles. "Possibly x" is written as "possible x" once...I remember that.

Teknoman

Damn it Screaming Mantis is messing with my head.
I thought my TV went out for a second, then I realized it said Hideo 2 at the top....lol now im expecting some crazy ass solution to beating her. Now to figure this out...

Does anyone else think...

(spoilers for the end)

...that it would have been better if Snake had placed the gun at his temple instead of his mouth? It would have been great imagery, mirroring the Big Boss/Snake salute we all know and love.

I felt it was a missed opportunity.

dralla

Jack Scofield said:

(spoilers for the end)

...that it would have been better if Snake had placed the gun at his temple instead of his mouth? It would have been great imagery, mirroring the Big Boss/Snake salute we all know and love.

he didn't shoot himself anyway so it would've been pointless

ps. can we please get a spoiler button on the post reply box, it's annoying to type out the tags :[

jett said:
I just finished Act 3...

Fuck this is the most self-indulgent shit I've ever witnessed. Holy overexposition Batman, someone needs to teach Kojima the meaning of the word "restraint". WTF is wrong with this guy? I want to actually PLAY this motherfucker.

Someone didn't know what he was getting himself into.

Jack Scofield said:

(spoilers for the end)

No, definitely not.
The way his hands and jaw trembled as he was putting the gun in his mouth was perfectly devastating. Any other way would have had far less impact, in my opinion. Quickly putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger is one thing, but putting it up to your face, opening your mouth and putting it in, to me, seems much darker and more desperate. It perfectly emphasizes Snake's situation.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
dralla said:
For the Assassins emblem, is it 50 Knife kills or KO's?
And less than 25 alerts, of course.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
dralla said:
yea, but it's knife kills? I thought it was the stun function, I dunno if I want to kill 50 people :[
Simple: 50 CQC and 50 Knife kills/stuns

It's up to you if you want to stun or kill them.

besada

Banned
Just finished. I absolutely love the game.

But:

Final cutscene(s)? C'mon, Kojima. I just saved the world, so quit bludgeoning me with the plot already.

Why did they suddenly make Raiden ridiculous in Act 5? Stopping a moving ship? Swordfighting with his mouth? Really?

Other than some minor quibbles, the game was fantastic. Fighting in
Rex, the motorcycle chase, the final boss fight, just wow. I absolutely loved kicking the crap out of Ocelot.

Yoshichan

dralla said:
ah ok, can I knock them out with CQC first, than stun their bodies :?
No, I don't think so. Just camp in act 1 where the PMCs spawns infinitely (where you first
see the helicopter attack the militia)
. It took me 10 minutes :)

drohne

besada said:
Why did they suddenly make Raiden ridiculous in Act 5? Stopping a moving ship? Swordfighting with his mouth? Really?

uh, i'm not seeing the 'suddenly' -- in act 3 he uses two gekkos with their feelers wrapped around his legs as a sort of helicopter rotor

the database is pretty great, btw -- its sheer heterogenous sprawl is extremely metal gear. everything is somehow relevant to this series. including the bolshoi ballet somehow. i really need to play portable ops, which apparently clarifies the links between mgs3 and the rest of the series

i'm going to disregard its explanation of raiden's cyborg body, however -- yes, that the patriots forced it on him makes him very like grey fox, but i prefer the idea that he did it to himself while suffering from the doubts inflicted on him by mgs2's events

Pai Pai Master said:
No, definitely not.
The way his hands and jaw trembled as he was putting the gun in his mouth was perfectly devastating. Any other way would have had far less impact, in my opinion. Quickly putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger is one thing, but putting it up to your face, opening your mouth and putting it in, to me, seems much darker and more desperate. It perfectly emphasizes Snake's situation.

They could've shown Snake's desperation and fear just as well. He wouldn't have to quickly put the gun up towards his head, he could have looked at it, hands trembling, and placed the gun towards his head before becoming overwhelmed by emotion and taking it away. Then, slowly, he could have placed the gun on his head a second time, compose himself this time, knowing full well what he has to do, and pull the trigger (even though he didn't).

Don't get me wrong, I love the scene the way it already is, but I just thought that it would have been better if it was reminiscent of the salutes.

besada

Banned
drohne said:
uh, i'm not seeing the 'suddenly' -- in act 3 he uses two gekkos with their feelers wrapped around his legs as a sort of helicopter rotor

Okay, that was pretty ridiculous, too.

dralla said:
ridiculously awesome

It was, but
seeing him basicly get slaughtered twice, especially at shadow moses where you think he gets crushed, and to get a simple "he'll live" out of otacon was a bit extreme. then lo and behold he shows up again to get hurt for snake. A bit much.

G-Bus

Banned
Yay, finally managed to get my hands on this. Couldn't find a copy so I had to rent. Never did get a chance to play any of the others, even though I bought MGS2 :\ Very much so looking forward to this! Installing now.

Is MGO on the same disc?

tha_con

Banned
jett said:
I just finished Act 3...

Someone get this man a tissue to wipe away his tears.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
End of Act 4 Spoilers:

Why does Raiden jump off Rex while leaving Shadow Moses? It doesn't make any fucking sense. If he did die at the end of Act 4, fuck Kojima. Most retarded death in the series.

ICallItFutile said:
End of Act 4 Spoilers:

Why does Raiden jump off Rex while leaving Shadow Moses? It doesn't make any fucking sense. If he did die at the end of Act 4, fuck Kojima. Most retarded death in the series.

Covering the rear.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dunno if already posted, but there's a new camo pattern available to download within the Extras section (Digital Blue, meant for water camouflage).

chubigans said:
Dunno if already posted, but there's a new camo pattern available to download within the Extras section (Digital Blue, meant for water camouflage).

The water in this game is great but its only in like 3 playable areas.

ICallItFutile said:
End of Act 4 Spoilers:

Just so Kojima has a reason for a surprise rescue for Snake when Arsenal crashes the docks. The most retarded death in any MGS has to be The End when you would snipe him in his wheelchair. It's funny though. :=D

Saiyu

Meh, there must be something wrong with me, I'm just not having much fun with this game....

I played the hell out of MGS and MGS2,2 being my (shock) favourite (well I did prefer FFVIII to FFVII....) and even played the original MG. I gave up on MGS 3 a little after the base with Raidenovich in it and I'm starting to get the same feeling I had when playing that game while on MGS4. Granted, I'm nowhere in this game, but I still find myself turning off after moving a few areas due to boredom or just indifference.

An example of something that really turned me off was the
militia base
. First milita I see recognises me, 2nd lets me pass I move into another room and as soon as I enter I get an alert without any audible or visual warning and the whole damn place is after me. Tired and pissed I decide to take advantage of the archaic mechanics of being able to enter another area and lose the guards and so follows much running around sponging bullets (I'm on Big Boss difficulty) to make it to the next area, where I endure a boring cut scene with the stereotypical black guy. Now I've liked cut scenes in MGS but this just came across as a mess - way too much filler with boring converations, little substance and no relevance. I'm not blind to say it's just like that in this edition of MGS (the Emma Emmerich cut scene springs to mind), but if this is an indication of what's coming I'll be very disappointed.

And don't get me started in the schizophrenic feel of the whole theme in the game (this is a sneaking mission, no wait here's a shedload of guns). While I see why this decision was made, and it being added as an option, ignoring the action oriented gameplay makes the game play pretty boring, hence my post.

Sure I'll probably finish it if only for the story, but I doubt I'm gonna enjoy this as much as 1 and 2.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
drohne said:
well, when he jumps off, he says 'i'll get your back' or something. i guess you're free to question his judgement

Seems like Kojima just wanted any easy way to kill off Raiden. The Naomi death scene was over dramatic as it was.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
John Harker said:
whats the point of pushing X during scenes? the ''flash backs' are all less than 1 sec and you really can't get anything out of it....

and say, where does the Database go after you DL? cant find...

You're suppose to press X button multiple times. Each time you press the X button, it shows a different pic for that flashback. Some flashbacks have up to like 4-5 different pics

drohne

GalacticAE said:
The most retarded death in any MGS has to be The End when you would snipe him in his wheelchair. It's funny though. :=D

i think that was the moment when i became an mgs fanboy. i had to reload an old save later when i found out that i'd actually killed him, but it's still awesome that you can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom