• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nemesis556 said:
Play up until you meet Mk. II for the first time. =P

Pretty sure the all lived at one point and had SOMETHING to do with the Patriots. Apparently it's the Wiseman's Committee >_>

It is. There were originally 12 members of the Wisemen's comittee.

mileS

Nemesis556 said:
Play up until you meet Mk. II for the first time. =P

Pretty sure the all lived at one point and had SOMETHING to do with the Patriots. Apparently it's the Wiseman's Committee >_>

spoiler I guess
Wiseman's Committee = The Philosophers. The Boss was the daughter of one of the members. Half of the "Philosophers Legacy" was used to fund the Patriots. The pic from MGS2 somebody said was actually the Philosophers but if they died 100 years ago how is that even possible?

Nemesis_

mileS said:
spoiler I guess
Wiseman's Committee = The Philosophers. The Boss was the daughter of one of the members. Half of the "Philosophers Legacy" was used to fund the Patriots. The pic from MGS2 somebody said was actually the Philosophers but if they died 100 years ago how is that even possible?
Was it definitely 100 years ago? >_> Man I thought my MGS plotline was all sewn up but now I'm encountering more holes =(

EDIT: Well, if that was indeed true (them dying 100 years ago) then
It's very possible that this information was indeed true (as in, these people did exist) but was faked & leaked (as in, although they existed they weren't related at all to Wiseman's or Patriots) from The Patriots during the events of MGS2?

mileS said:
spoiler I guess

The 100 years ago is just a slight exaguration I guess. But I mean they did die a long time ago. Like in the 40s I heard.

Also, wasn't it the entire Philosophers Legacy that funded the Patriots? Ocelot stole the missing half from the director of the CIA back in MPO

Nemesis_

Well then, there's two theories as to what this picture of the 12 men is.

1.) The Wiseman's Committee. They died AROUND the 40s, and were
leaked by the Patriots as a false lead to PHILANTHROPY as the real members of the Patriots during the Manhatten / Big Shell incident.

2.) 12 Men
All gathered by The Patriots because they died a long time ago as false leads for PHILANTHROPY with no relation or affilation with The Patriots or the Wiseman's Committee all together

And just to be sure: The Philosophers definitely are the Wiseman's Committee?

And (MGS3 spoilers),
The Boss and Volgin both had parents who were part of it?

EDIT:
In a secret conversation with a "Mr. Director" (
Major Zero?
, Ocelot reveals that the Philosopher's Legacy is now safe in America's hands. With the money, the Philosophers can finally be revived. HE reveals that the film handed to the Chinese was a fake, though only half of the money has made it back to the United States, with Ocelot believing the KGB must still have part of the Legacy.

Later, in the 1970s, the United States accumulates the remainder of the Legacy. The American branch of the Philosophers changes its name to the Patriots.

1stStrike

Banned
dabookerman said:
If possible could you highlight the most frustrating points?
Act 1, all I can think of is the FROGS fight. Sneaking around the militia is effective with the disguise right, same with act 2?
I assume act 3 is a pain in the ass though, the tailing sequence. I'm sure of it.

I posted em all a few pages back. Just look up my post history.

And yes, the two things you mentioned are included. As well as what I mentioned in my last post about the final boss battle.

Basically, every act has one or two spots that go from "wow this is awesome!" on lower difficulties to "I want to kill myself!" on extreme.

It's worth it though..I have several new guns, a new mask, the stealth camo and the bandana now..and all the special guns are pretty neat.

And, like I said before, you can't really run and gun on this difficulty. Two - four shots and you're dead from just about anything. Things you can get away with on solid normal won't work on extreme.

Nemesis556 said:
Well then, there's two theories as to what this picture of the 12 men is.

1.) The Wiseman's Committee. They died AROUND the 40s, and were
leaked by the Patriots as a false lead to PHILANTHROPY as the real members of the Patriots during the Manhatten / Big Shell incident.

2.) 12 Men
All gathered by The Patriots because they died a long time ago as false leads for PHILANTHROPY with no relation or affilation with The Patriots or the Wiseman's Committee all together

And (MGS3 spoilers),

EDIT:

No, Mr.Director is CIA Dir, in MPO he is talking to
Zero

Nemesis556 said:
Yes, the founding members of the Philosophers are the Wisemen's Committee. Later, the Philosophers' numbers grew and after World War II each of the three national branches became independent, eventually falling into decay.

And (MGS3 spoilers),
Yes, their fathers.

Nemesis_

^ Ahhh ok =P. Portable Ops was a very very lingering memory for me >_>

As for the unlockable you get when you unlock the Big Boss rank...
Is it only the Corpse face? Cos that sucks *tear*

1stStrike

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
^ Ahhh ok =P. Portable Ops was a very very lingering memory for me >_>

As for the unlockable you get when you unlock the Big Boss rank...
Is it only the Corpse face? Cos that sucks *tear*

Yea, it is the corpse face sadly, however it's pretty funny. You put it on and when an enemy sees you they flee in terror. The patriot has unlimited ammo so you can go wild with it. I'm going to have myself a fun time with this one.

No_Style

Anyone want to answer my question about the final battle sequence?

No_Style said:
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Awesome final battle, huh?

Yes. I died a few times, but once I got into it, I enjoyed it. One question, though...

Why did the two of them need the nanomachine suppressing syringe? I'm guessing it was for a more "natural" (no enhancements) fight?

I'm doubting the
S.O.P. conflicting with their old nanomachines explanation, because S.O.P is gone by that time.

Nemesis_

From what I understood, it was a different syringe and as such it
somehow rejuvenated their already tired bodies, since Snake was desperate to get his hands on it and had just been through hell (and probably something that felt like it literally) and needed a pick me up. Not every syringe suppresses Nanomachine activity >_>

Guled

No_Style said:
Anyone want to answer my question about the final battle sequence?

I'm doubting the
S.O.P. conflicting with their old nanomachines explanation, because S.O.P is gone by that time.
I think its cuz of Foxdie

duckroll

Nemesis556 said:
Ahhh yes there we go. I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

Considering that the image it's based off was a hoax,
it perhaps can be eluded to refer to the fact that Drebin is not all he seems?

I think it's just an injoke. His monkey is called "Little Grey", so the entire pose is an alien gag.

Last boss fight:

Snake needed the shots because of the old nanos where interfering with his new ones. Ocelot needed them to keep the Foxdie at bay while he fought. The shots are what kept Naomi alive to. the Foxdie was programmed to kill her to.

Guled

Gamer @ Heart said:
Snake needed the shots because of the old nanos where interfering with his new ones. Ocelot needed them to keep the Foxdie at bay while he fought. The shots are what kept Naomi alive to. the Foxdie was programmed to kill her to.
are you sure she was targeted by foxdie, she died from cancer

Tom_Cody

I'm surprised there isn't more love for the
Meryl/Johnny shootout dance.
Probably one of my favorite sequences from anything. I would love to see footage of the mocap actors performing it. That scene makes me long for a cutscene viewer like Subsistence had. I really need to make a save file before that scene on my next play through.

Request: Does anyone have high quality images of the symbols for the different PMC factions. I'm looking for Laughing Octopus and Outer Haven Especially. I can find them anywhere.

No_Style

Tom_Cody said:
I'm surprised there isn't more love for the
Meryl/Johnny shootout dance.
Probably one of my favorite sequences from anything. I would love to see footage of the mocap actors performing it. That scene makes me long for a cutscene viewer like Subsistence had. I really need to make a save file before that scene on my next play through.

Reminded of
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
:D

Guled said:

It says so in the database. And the
nanomachines where supressing the cancer that should have killed her. She died instantly after taking the supresseing syrum. cancer wouldnt do that. The Foxdie did her in.

Tom_Cody

Guled said:

I think that might have been a cover. I just rewatched last night the scene where she is first reintroduced to Snake, and she takes the shot to counteract some sort or namomachine reaction (as indicated by sound effects). I think the cancer explanation is a lie, but I can't figure out why she would lie about. At this point in the story Snake doesn't know about the new Foxdie yet, but it makes no sense that she wouldn't tell him.

Tom_Cody said:
I think that might have been a cover. I just rewatched last night the scene where she is first reintroduced to Snake, and she takes the shot to counteract some sort or namomachine reaction (as indicated by sound effects). I think the cancer explanation is a lie, but I can't figure out why she would lie about. At this point in the story Snake doesn't know about the new Foxdie yet, but it makes no sense that she wouldn't tell him.

Nope.
Your right, she has no reason to lie about the cancer. As she explained, the nanomachines prevented it from spreading and evolving thereby keeping her alive. She was dependent on the thing she hated and created. Snake learns of the new foxdie by the second act when he first meets her in her lab. She explained what she knew to him but didnt find out until later that the new foxdie was mutating, and Big Boss finnaly informed him about that at the end. According to the database i just read, the new foxdie that BB willingly exposed himself to was set to kill all the members of the ex patriots, including naomi and ocelot. The injections they took, supressed the new foxdie until at last ocelot, after injecting hemself with so much, no longer took any effect on him and killed him. naomi shot herself with the same supressing nanos that she gave to vamp so he could finnaly die. This allowed the foxdie to take effect on her.

Hope that helps.

Tom_Cody

Gamer @ Heart said:
Nope.
Your right, she has no reason to lie about the cancer. As she explained, the nanomachines prevented it from spreading and evolving thereby keeping her alive. She was dependent on the thing she hated and created. Snake learns of the new foxdie by the second act when he first meets her in her lab. She explained what she knew to him but didnt find out until later that the new foxdie was mutating, and Big Boss finnaly informed him about that at the end. According to the database i just read, the new foxdie that BB willingly exposed himself to was set to kill all the members of the ex patriots, including naomi and ocelot. The injections they took, supressed the new foxdie until at last ocelot, after injecting hemself with so much, no longer took any effect on him and killed him. naomi shot herself with the same supressing nanos that she gave to vamp so he could finnaly die. This allowed the foxdie to take effect on her.

Hope that helps.

Wow, I'm off on a lot of details. This game is complicated.

Nemesis_

I think it's just an injoke. His monkey is called "Little Grey", so the entire pose is an alien gag.
True. I assumed Grey was more a reference to Grey Fox but of course I am once again looking into things way too much.:lol

Wasn't Naomi in on the whole plan orchestrated by Ocelot and EVA? Oh wait no, wasn't she suppressing the Cancer through the use of Nanomachines? And then she injected herself with something and pretty much instantly died. It couldn't of been cancer - why would she die so instantly. FOXDIE is the most likely explanation.

EDIT: I totally missed a whole page of this topic.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
okay, still playing through

this game is absolutely brilliant so far, but with one tiny annoyance.

NPC vs Insurgents

No matter what, i get attacked by the Insurgents.
I've not attacked them, but at the point i'm at , they'll ignore the NPCs and attack me with absolutely no regard for the overwhealming NPC numbers.

It's really annoying because it breaks the feeling of being in there.

Absolute AAA so far though, very impressed by it.

Is there a way to view your emblems, or see what emblems you need? Im about to start another file and I want to unlock and collect alot of things im missing. Anyone got a link to all the cool things to find? :D

jjasper

DCharlie said:

NPC vs Insurgents

I've not attacked them, but at the point i'm at , they'll ignore the NPCs and attack me with absolutely no regard for the overwhealming NPC numbers.

Are you playing a no kill game? If the rebels see you attacking the PMC's they will not shoot at you and will give you rations and ammo.

DCharlie

Are you playing a no kill game? If the rebels see you attacking the PMC's they will not hsoot at you and will give you rations and ammo.

nope, i'm specifically targetting PMC (NPCs... jesus!) and haven't touched the rebels. It's a bit annoying, but i'll live!

jjasper

DCharlie said:
nope, i'm specifically targetting PMC (NPCs... jesus!) and haven't touched the rebels. It's a bit annoying, but i'll live!

hmm strange I don't know then. I never had a problem with it, I came out Rambo style in the first fight though so made that had something to do with it.

DCharlie

yeah, it's not a breaker so far - i just feel hurt! I'm trying to help but they won't stop shooting me! :( lol

so awesome though, i'm still in Act 1 , but the game is fantastic.

I'm glad i avoided all the hype/preamble , it's really been awesome. I have no idea what is coming next. :swoon.

bear in mind i didn't even play or even LOOK at the game beyond a slight glance at tgs in 07.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DCharlie said:

NPC vs Insurgents

Just to minimize disappointment, I hope you've at least read impressions noting that cutscenes become EXTREMELY heavy during the second half of the game. I don't want to see you walk blindly into that wall. Even for me, it was a bit disappointing. I should also note that Act 3 was FAR AND AWAY the most disappointing act in the game so go in expecting that and you might have more fun.

The game is simply not perfect so don't let some of that hyperbole taint your experience. Note that the pacing is still flawed and there are times where you'll feel that more gameplay should have been included between the cutscenes.

Just a warning, that's all. :D

No_Style

dark10x said:
I should also note that Act 3 was FAR AND AWAY the most disappointing act in the game so go in expecting that and you might have more fun.

It's because of the sudden drop in flow? The dive from action heavy, to calm creeping through the streets type of of calm?

It can be jarring.

1stStrike

Banned
DCharlie said:
yeah, it's not a breaker so far - i just feel hurt! I'm trying to help but they won't stop shooting me! :( lol

so awesome though, i'm still in Act 1 , but the game is fantastic.

I'm glad i avoided all the hype/preamble , it's really been awesome. I have no idea what is coming next. :swoon.

bear in mind i didn't even play or even LOOK at the game beyond a slight glance at tgs in 07.

What difficulty are you playing on? It takes them a lot longer to warm up to you on higher difficulties.

Oh and, as far as act 3 goes..not all of us hate it. I thought it was pretty enjoyable and definitely loved the climax.

dark10x

1stStrike said:
What difficulty are you playing on? It takes them a lot longer to warm up to you on higher difficulties.

Oh and, as far as act 3 goes..not all of us hate it. I thought it was pretty enjoyable and definitely loved the climax.
Well, after replaying it, I actually do appreciate it much more, but initially, it was quite jarring. Basically, I wanted to prepare him for the potential of disappointment in the change. I think it would be easier to get into if you knew it was coming.

Even though I don't think it was a bad act, it still isn't as wildly awesome as the others.

jjasper

I actually think Act 3 has
the best beast fight with the tower being blown up as you are fighting although there were a few times I didn't realize I was on the lower floor and tried to drop down.

No_Style

1stStrike said:

I loved Act 3. It was very different from all the others. It felt like something you'd expect from Splinter Cell and not Metal Gear. My only complaint with Act 3 is the tail end which kept rolling with the cutscenes for a bit too long and then the Act 4 briefing.

As entertaining as it was, I was itching to do some more playing than watching during the session I dedicated to it. Fortunately, Act IV ramped up. :D

dark10x

jjasper said:
I actually think Act 3 has
the best beast fight with the tower being blown up as you are fighting although there were a few times I didn't realize I was on the lower floor and tried to drop down.
I thought it was decent enough, but I was really impressed with what was going on along with the awesome shadows (all of those light sources were casting full shadows all over the place as they moved). Very impressive.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
DCharlie said:

U re not the first one to bring this up and I'm still puzzled about it. I've finished the game 4 times already, with various strategies involved, got the Big Boss emblem as well, and that never occurred once. Unless it was "friendly fire".

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Dont know if its been addressed since last night, but about Raiden:

He didnt become a ninja by his own account. According to the database he got captured by the Patriots while trying to retrieve BigBoss's body (which we later find out its Solidus) and they experimented new Snatcher technology on him (I know Snatcher is one of Kojima's games, but its also a term used when somebody becomes the cybernetic ninja), transforming him into the new ninja. EVA then rescues him, but then, seeing as how he can no longer have a normal life, makes him go all emo and leave .. thats when he learns the tracking techniques and other shit.

At the end of the game, when you see him "whole" again, theres definitely some questions. He probably retrieved his original body parts, and they seemed catalogued with the barcodes and shit, so theres a high chance that hes either machineflesh or actually legit human-now-stitched-together-like.

Also enjoyed that they used Dr. Madnar from Metal Gear 1 and 2, nice touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom