• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TTP said:
U re not the first one to bring this up and I'm still puzzled about it. I've finished the game 4 times already, with various strategies involved, got the Big Boss emblem as well, and that never occurred once. Unless it was "friendly fire".
Yeah, that never happened to me either (I've played through those segments twice), but I was watching a friend play and they DID attack him. Though, once he managed to take out some PMCs in plain view of the rebels, they seemed to stop.

The only time the rebels fired on me during a no kill run was when you are in their hideout and you didnt at least blow up the tank. Then they arent friendly to you.

jjasper

Raging Spaniard said:
Dont know if its been addressed since last night, but about Raiden:

He didnt become a ninja by his own account. According to the database he got captured by the Patriots while trying to retrieve BigBoss's body (which we later find out its Solidus) and they experimented new Snatcher technology on him (I know Snatcher is one of Kojima's games, but its also a term used when somebody becomes the cybernetic ninja), transforming him into the new ninja. EVA then rescues him, but then, seeing as how he can no longer have a normal life, makes him go all emo and leave .. thats when he learns the tracking techniques and other shit.

At the end of the game, when you see him "whole" again, theres definitely some questions. He probably retrieved his original body parts, and they seemed catalogued with the barcodes and shit, so theres a high chance that hes either machineflesh or actually legit human-now-stitched-together-like.

Also enjoyed that they used Dr. Madnar from Metal Gear 1 and 2, nice touch.

I thought that he did find Big Boss too, but that EVA hid him in order protect him from Ocelot

Raging Spaniard said:
Dont know if its been addressed since last night, but about Raiden:

He didnt become a ninja by his own account. According to the database he got captured by the Patriots while trying to retrieve BigBoss's body (which we later find out its Solidus) and they experimented new Snatcher technology on him (I know Snatcher is one of Kojima's games, but its also a term used when somebody becomes the cybernetic ninja), transforming him into the new ninja. EVA then rescues him, but then, seeing as how he can no longer have a normal life, makes him go all emo and leave .. thats when he learns the tracking techniques and other shit.

At the end of the game, when you see him "whole" again, theres definitely some questions. He probably retrieved his original body parts, and they seemed catalogued with the barcodes and shit, so theres a high chance that hes either machineflesh or actually legit human-now-stitched-together-like.

Also enjoyed that they used Dr. Madnar from Metal Gear 1 and 2, nice touch.

Basically
Raiden will be in the new MG. It's really the only thing they didn't explain. He had those barcodes in MGS2 though.

jjasper said:
I actually think Act 3 has
the best beast fight with the tower being blown up as you are fighting although there were a few times I didn't realize I was on the lower floor and tried to drop down.

I concur.

joesmokey

Gamer @ Heart said:
When raven has to land o let her boosters cool, where is she? I have fought her twice on two seperate playthroughs and never managed to find her.
Edited for spoiler tags
It was my understanding that she flies way off in the distance, as in she flies away and hides (and is impossible to shoot at). I saw her come from afar a couple of times, though I'm not sure if she has different phases of that.

[Nintex]

joesmokey said:
It was my understanding that she flies way off in the distance, as in she flies away and hides (and is impossible to shoot at). I saw her come from afar a couple of times, though I'm not sure if she has different phases of that.
She hides on one of the roofs, just grab a sniper rifle and you can shoot her

jjasper

Choke on the Magic said:
Basically
Raiden will be in the new MG. It's really the only thing they didn't explain. He had those barcodes in MGS2 though.

I think he will too
the search for Sunny, getting the cybernetic suit, and rescuing Big Boss will make a great game

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm way behind the curve, but I just finished Act 2 last night which was awesome. I'm not sure why the boss fights are getting such flak in certain reviews because
the fight with Octopus floored me. I never fell for her traps, but they were an awesome mid-fight twist. Oh and the insanity that occurs after shedding her suit just slayed me. All the windows shattering as she walks near them, the deathly screams of children, her bullet-time dodges and discreet walk animations...Kojima knows how to build boss fights!

Oh and agreed with all complaints about Drebin's post-battle soliloquoy. Shoulda been scripted into the boss fight somehow thematically, or explained by other means, via a non-animated codec was awful.

Good game. 7/10 for me because there was wayyyyyyyyyyy too much cinematics. Felt like i was watching the game more then actually playing it. Gameplay was great though but overall I can't sit through 20+ min cut scenes.....bored the hell out of me.

Malik

Banned
EclipseGST said:
Good game. 7/10 for me because there was wayyyyyyyyyyy too much cinematics. Felt like i was watching the game more then actually playing it. Gameplay was great though but overall I can't sit through 20+ min cut scenes.....bored the hell out of me.

beat it fakeboy.

Dragon

Banned
EclipseGST said:

MGS is known for cinematics, one could say moreso than gameplay, what possessed you to buy the game if you don't like them? The complaints are valid, there isn't enough gameplay, but I can't believe people would pay upwards of 60 dollars to get a game that doesn't appeal to them.

I asked this on the SolidEye thread but since more people come here..

Q:
When fighting BBs, if you use lethal means to destroy their armor and tranq them when they stalk you, does it count as a kill or not?

Durante

Solideliquid said:
Q:
When fighting BBs, if you use lethal means to destroy their armor and tranq them when they stalk you, does it count as a kill or not?
No,
but you won't get the statues

TheBranca18 said:
MGS is known for cinematics, one could say moreso than gameplay, what possessed you to buy the game if you don't like them? The complaints are valid, there isn't enough gameplay, but I can't believe people would pay upwards of 60 dollars to get a game that doesn't appeal to them.

I'm not sure if you can say this time there isn't enough gameplay especially when you take MGO into account, since that can add "countless" hours of gameplay.

jjasper

Brandon F said:
Oh and agreed with all complaints about Drebin's post-battle soliloquoy. Shoulda been scripted into the boss fight somehow thematically, or explained by other means, via a non-animated codec was awful.

At first they pissed me off but the more I thought about it what else could he have done? He wanted to have the back stories in the game so that you feel somewhat sorry for the them it would have felt forced if the B&B's told it to you and the back stories themselves are way to fucked up to be a cutscene. I guess they could have done Ashley Wood still comics or something.

The B&B's are probably the most messed up stuff in the whole series.

Solo

disappeared said:
well, that's it folks. MGS4 is god's gift to gaming. it's over.

Hideo Kojima is credited as the voice of god in MGS4, so in that sense, you are spot on - MGS4 is HK's gift to gaming.

Hellcrow

TheBranca18 said:

The only cutscene that I can complain about is the last one.
The one during the credits, it lasts to long for its own good. But that's the only one I felt lasted too long, though.

I didn´t read the thread since the game was released, maybe this question is already answered.

Sometimes I notice in the cutscenes some... I don´t know how describe it?, low compression, macroblocks, some problem with the colors, like when you see a video with bad compression. Are some of the cutscenes not in real time?, or the game can handle some graphic stuff very well?.

Awesome game though, brillant storytelling.

Dez

rockman zx said:
I didn´t read the thread since the game was released, maybe this question is already answered.

Sometimes I notice in the cutscenes some... I don´t know how describe it?, low compression, macroblocks, some problem with the colors, like when you see a video with bad compression. Are some of the cutscenes not in real time?, or the game can handle some graphic stuff very well?.

there are two cutscenes not in real time. The one that looks particularly bad in terms of compression artifacts is the one at
The end of act 3
. Some of the real time cutscenes do have some other artifacts though, but that's typical of any game.

SRG01

Gamer @ Heart said:
When raven has to land o let her boosters cool, where is she? I have fought her twice on two seperate playthroughs and never managed to find her.

Look to see where her friends are circling and she'll be on one of the rooftops resting.

rockman zx said:

Yep. 2. Last major scene in Act 3 and last scene before the final boss in Act 5. that said, i never noticed any compression. is this only noticable on HD tvs?

SRG01

Gamer @ Heart said:
That explains it. How many shots can you get in before she gets up?

I've only managed to get in one Stun Grenade from my M4. I think she gets up after a direct hit.

TheBranca18 said:

The beauty of this is I did not have to buy the game or the machine because my room mate bought the bundle package for this game alone (he still hasn't even started and I already finished).

I've played MGS since the psone day and read about MG when it was on nintendo. I enjoyed it but I still felt since I was playing a Video Game i'd get more gameplay time for $60. It was a good game and great gameplay(the little I felt there was) and it wrapped up a lot of loose ends and questions but I wish there would have been more somewhere.

Acting(voice actors lol) was really sub-par through most of the game and I just couldn't help but feel let down or laugh.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Yep. 2. Last major scene in Act 3 and last scene before the final boss in Act 5. that said, i never noticed any compression. is this only noticable on HD tvs?

Really don´t know, I played at 720p on a Sony Bravia. So, is normal, thanks for the answer guys.

EclipseGST said:
The beauty of this is I did not have to buy the game or the machine because my room mate bought the bundle package for this game alone (he still hasn't even started and I already finished).

I've played MGS since the psone day and read about MG when it was on nintendo. I enjoyed it but I still felt since I was playing a Video Game i'd get more gameplay time for $60. It was a good game and great gameplay(the little I felt there was) and it wrapped up a lot of loose ends and questions but I wish there would have been more somewhere.

Dont let them bother you. Your not wrong.

eso76

so speaking of Raiden's ending.

at first you think snake isn't really realizing his status, telling him to go back to his family (like that ? head and spine ? what for ?) but apparently it's us who didn't realize Raiden's choice was not that dramatic, since it was so easily reversed. Which makes us think, it's quite funny there's no way to save snake from a simple 'dying of old age' when just about everyone in the series has died at least once, burned down, had limbs cut off etc. and was then revived for the next chapter : P at the very least, they could take his head and spine, put them in some cyborg body, clone him again, and put head and spine back in a young snake's body.

oh well. I guess the database will help me clear a few issues i had with the story.

patsu

EclipseGST said:

Acting(voice actors lol) was really sub-par through most of the game and I just couldn't help but feel let down or laugh.

Don't forget to give MGO a try.

eso76 said:
so speaking of Raiden's ending.

at first you think snake isn't really realizing his status, telling him to go back to his family (like that ? head and spine ? what for ?) but apparently it's us who didn't realize Raiden's choice was not that dramatic, since it was so easily reversed. Which makes us think, it's quite funny there's no way to save snake from a simple 'dying of old age' when just about everyone in the series has died at least once, burned down, had limbs cut off etc. and was then revived for the next chapter : P at the very least, they could take his head and spine, put them in some cyborg body, clone him again, and put head and spine back in a young snake's body.

oh well. I guess the database will help me clear a few issues i had with the story.

The scene where he went under the GW bought me to tears, as the recollection of that conversation between him and Rose in MGS2 made it so powerful and poignant; I thought he had died and this was an incredibly tragic moment, especially so soon after it was Snake himself who said he had no future and Raiden had everything going for him; his youth, and Rose.

..... and yet he lives? That really sucked all the power out of it. That, as well as the Meryl/Akiba gun scene let the game's sombre mantra and cinematography down. Raiden's ending with Rose and his child made up for it though, but only just (which was also dually let down by that incredibly asinine wedding moment that preceded it).

To me, the game would have only been bettered if the Meryl/Akiba scenes and relationship were totally omitted, or even Akiba dying to save Meryl. As it is, it's just incredibly poor shite, probably left in just to get the game to fit the kiddies' tastes too. Just completely and totally out of place amongst the sombre overtures around Snake and Raiden's stories. I hated Raiden in MGS2, yet I was bought to tears twice for him in MGS4. Really did not need Meryl/Akiba OTT sidestory in its side like a shard of glass.

Any tips on how to get past the first part of act 5? i keep getting spotted and after that and there seems like theres no way to progess after that... what am i missing?

tha_con

Banned
EclipseGST said:

To the average gamer, there is about 8 hours of 'gameplay' on their first playthrough, IF YOUR FUCKING GOOD AND FAST.

Most 'gamers' as you would have it (aka college kids) will get about 10 hours of 'gameplay' and the rest will be cutscenes.

Call of Facking Duty 4 was like 4 or 5 hours? Give me a break.

Welcome to the next generation. Skip the cutscenes and it's the AVERAGE time for a Next Generation title. Welcome to reality, I hope you enjoy your stay.

bloody pirate said:
Any tips on how to get past the first part of act 5? i keep getting spotted and after that and there seems like theres no way to progess after that... what am i missing?

Give me a sec while i type it.

At the start, immediatly equip your face camo and MK. 22. Go all the way to the right side of the ship and duck behind the wall that putrudes out because of the stairwell. There is an explosion here just before 2 frogs pop down. One on your right and one near the railing above you. Quickly lean out and shoot the frog on your right in the head to make her fall asleep. Crouching, walk past her and when you pass the box she was infront of, continue walking foward staying close to the wall and grab the next green box sticking out hugging the right wall. When your crouched behind that peak out quick and put the frog thats about to pass it asleep. As you do that, 3 more frogs should appear. Put them out. As soon as they are all down, sprint pass them go around the building on the deck until you war on the exreme right side of teh ship again. Hug the cylindar pillar to slip past the boxes blocking the side and run up to and crouch behind a gray box next to the other pillar. Lean out and shoot the 2 frogs that leap down from the top of teh ship. Once they are asleep, crawl foward a bit until you can see another frog on the balcony to the left of where the first two jumped off from. Put her to sleep then continue crawling foward until the pillar behind you blocks the frogs that are are now patroling behind. Next to come canisters where the 2 frogs lay is a wall that you shoudl lean out of and put another frog on the top of the ship directly across from the one you just put down. You have 30 seconds or so until the frogs behind you notice the bodies sleeping so make sure you hiding behind the boxes next to the door by then. The gekko are easy to avoid. As soon as the second blast from the ship hits the gekko, it means its going to blow up soon. As its falling, run to the door and mash triangle until it opens. You should be in before the second patrolling gekko spots you.

Hope that helps.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
bloody pirate said:

there is a door to the north. The Frogs keep re-spawning so just keep progressing without worrying to kill them all. Once you get to the door, make use of MK.III to distract the Gekkos.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I am not happy where this game has gone gameplay wise the last two Acts. The beginning of Act 5 seems to be such a pain in the ass instead of FUN, which Acts 1-2 (and even 3 to an extent) were.

I hate this endless spawning shit. It wasn't as bad in COD4 since getting to the next area wasn't usually that hard (even on Veteran). In MGS4 next areas get blocked off due to enemies.

Zonar

Hey guys it looks like I have to take back my PS3 (moneys tight). I played for about 2 hours and I am really enjoying the story, but I honestly was not into the gameplay. A lot of the controls felt overly complicated for my personal taste.

I would much rather watch someone play the whole thing instead of me playing it. I went to you tube and saw someone play through pieces of it and I was really excited. So I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a link to hi-def play through of the entire game. including all the fighting, codex and everything.

If not can someone record themselves play? I would love to watch someone play and you would be saving my family $480.

tha_con

Banned
bloody pirate said:
This is really the easiest part to get through.

Just stay to the left CONSTANTLY (hug the damn wall), take out your MK2 tranq gun. You'll see two frogs hop down, tranq em.

One is up top on a tower, tranq her.

Move forward, two more will jump down. Fall back, tranq them.

Move forward, there will be one on a balcony. Tranq her.

Peek around corners, move quickly and quietly to avoid encounters, DON'T MOVE IF YOU SEE ENEMIES DOWN HALLS, STAY TO THE LEFT.

Move forward.

There will be two giant circular pillars, you can move behind them to avoid detection from the Gekko. Two more Frogs will drop down in front of you, TRANQ THEM.

Your last part will be to pump the gekko's legs with tranq darts, they'll fall and won't be able to detect you.

OR, conversely, you can wait, and eventually mortar rounds will kill one of the Gekko, and you can wait until the other turns around to make your run.

Easy as pie.

tha_con

Banned
ICallItFutile said:
I am not happy where this game has gone gameplay wise the last two Acts. The beginning of Act 5 seems to be such a pain in the ass instead of FUN, which Acts 1-2 (and even 3 to an extent) were.

I hate this endless spawning shit. It wasn't as bad in COD4 since getting to the next area wasn't usually that hard (even on Veteran). In MGS4 next areas get blocked off due to enemies.

Seriously? Act 5 is ridiculously easy on anything but The Boss Extreme.

tha_con said:
This is really the easiest part to get through.

Just stay to the left CONSTANTLY (hug the damn wall), take out your MK2 tranq gun. You'll see two frogs hop down, tranq em.

One is up top on a tower, tranq her.

Move forward, two more will jump down. Fall back, tranq them.

Move forward, there will be one on a balcony. Tranq her.

Peek around corners, move quickly and quietly to avoid encounters, DON'T MOVE IF YOU SEE ENEMIES DOWN HALLS, STAY TO THE LEFT.

Move forward.

There will be two giant circular pillars, you can move behind them to avoid detection from the Gekko. Two more Frogs will drop down in front of you, TRANQ THEM.

Your last part will be to pump the gekko's legs with tranq darts, they'll fall and won't be able to detect you.

OR, conversely, you can wait, and eventually mortar rounds will kill one of the Gekko, and you can wait until the other turns around to make your run.

Easy as pie.

Lol you make it sound so easy.. but i will give this route a try.. theres so much stuff to pick up all around though.. i will stay to the left then

The gameplay length of your first playthrough is just the tip of the iceberg in this game. Play again on a harder difficulty and you'll undoubtedly find a slew of new tricks and strategies, esepcially if you play a for fun and experimentation and not to beat the game. The gameplay is stacked.

Gamer @ Heart said:

At the start, immediatly equip your face camo and MK. 22. Go all the way to the right side of the ship and duck behind the wall that putrudes out because of the stairwell. There is an explosion here just before 2 frogs pop down. One on your right and one near the railing above you. Quickly lean out and shoot the frog on your right in the head to make her fall asleep. Crouching, walk past her and when you pass the box she was infront of, continue walking foward staying close to the wall and grab the next green box sticking out hugging the right wall. When your crouched behind that peak out quick and put the frog thats about to pass it asleep. As you do that, 3 more frogs should appear. Put them out. As soon as they are all down, sprint pass them go around the building on the deck until you war on the exreme right side of teh ship again. Hug the cylindar pillar to slip past the boxes blocking the side and run up to and crouch behind a gray box next to the other pillar. Lean out and shoot the 2 frogs that leap down from the top of teh ship. Once they are asleep, crawl foward a bit until you can see another frog on the balcony to the left of where the first two jumped off from. Put her to sleep then continue crawling foward until the pillar behind you blocks the frogs that are are now patroling behind. Next to come canisters where the 2 frogs lay is a wall that you shoudl lean out of and put another frog on the top of the ship directly across from the one you just put down. You have 30 seconds or so until the frogs behind you notice the bodies sleeping so make sure you hiding behind the boxes next to the door by then. The gekko are easy to avoid. As soon as the second blast from the ship hits the gekko, it means its going to blow up soon. As its falling, run to the door and mash triangle until it opens. You should be in before the second patrolling gekko spots you.

Hope that helps.

sounds good too.. i will try this option as well.. thanks a bunch

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
revolverjgw said:
The gameplay length of your first playthrough is just the tip of the iceberg in this game. Play again on a harder difficulty and you'll undoubtedly find a slew of new tricks and strategies, esepcially if you play a for fun and experimentation and not to beat the game. The gameplay is stacked.

Bigass toybox is what MGS is.

Tom_Cody

bloody pirate said:

I had a little trouble the first time I played it (on solid normal). Just crawl and update octocamo as needed. By doing this you should avoid getting spotted by anyone above you. To deal with patrolling frogs, simply tranq them if they show up in the threat ring before they can spot you. I was able to get to the rear of the area fairly easily this way. I was spotted while opening the door, but I had made enough progress that I was able to finishing opening it before getting attacked. Someone mentioned using the MKIII for the gekkos, so you could try that if you're going for a no alert game.

bloody pirate said:
sounds good too.. i will try this option as well.. thanks a bunch

This strategy worked like clock work for me the 30 times it took me to develop it. It was on Big Boss Hard btw. Oh and the part right after you shoot the first gaurd, i meant to say grab the box on your LEFT, not your right. You will know as soon as you see it because you can see a frog start sticking out next to it. Grab it quick or she will get suspicious and walk to you faster. If you put her to sleep fast enough, you will be safe but cant shoot the others as they come up so throw a stun grenade and you should get them all if that happens.

tha_con

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:

Hope that helps.

This sounds fun, but sticking to the left side of the map makes the first section considerably faster, and easier. I'd recommend that for someone having trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom