• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

andymcc

Banned
This replaced Mario Galaxy as my favorite game this generation. Even with all of it's obvious faults, Kojima's eccentricies give the game so much personality and obviously differ it from any other title on the market. A great summation, and finale, of the series as a whole. To think, I'm usually pretty critical of the franchise.

Also
the boss battle with Rex vs. Ray was probably one of the best I've seen in my many years of gaming.

andymcc said:
Also
the boss battle with Rex vs. Ray was probably one of the best I've seen in my many years of gaming.

I played
The Best is Yet to Come on the iPod
during that fight. It was an experience.

Durante

andymcc said:
Also
I agree. There are many great scenes in the game, but I feel this one is underappreciated. Some of the situational stuff you can trigger during that battle is unbelievably awesome.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
So I beat it last night. Fantastic game, fantastic experience. About 21 hrs total for me. I would have liked maybe one or two more acts of gameplay but what was there was really good, some of the best if not the best in any game I've played, and will offer a lot of replay value. As a Metal Gear fan Kojima did a great job giving me everything I wanted out of the game except
not being able to play as raiden!!
I actually ended up speeding through the game more or less just get through all the story cinematics. I would love to have downloadable VR Missions or something to expand the game..

The
last fight with Liquid, the whole change of angle with the hits and everything else was mind blowing. Ive never seen anything like that in any game before. I was floored. Also with Snake going through the microwaves was pretty intense.

Really the only thing I didnt like was
that Raiden didnt die and Snake didnt die. They should have just killed them off imo since its really the last game in that timeline for the most part, afaik. I dont mind Meryl and Akiba living, w/e, but Raiden should have died after the boat crushed him. That was a real emotional scene and it was tottaly dissmissed with one line of dialouge from Snake. When they said he lived I was like aw come on.. at the same time when he came back to help snake that was an excellent sequence.

Also,
the last cenimatic with Big Boss was just way too much.. I felt like the only person who cared that much about what he was saying was Kojima. I was pretty much lost through out the whole diolauge. Maybe it was becuase I was tired and worn out for playing 6 hours or so, but really the game could have ended right when Snake shot himself and that would have been perfect imo.

Shadow Moses could have used more enemies imo, although I know they were oging for an abandoned feel with that level.

The best boss fight out of the BBs was
Screaming Mantis. This one was the most difficult. The others imo were just too easy, although very entertaining. Screaming mantis took me a long ass time to figure out.

Over all best sequence was probably
Rex Vs. Ray. Hard to say with this game but its not very often I say "holy shit" while playing. The special moves were so sick too.

Couple questions about the game before I play through it again..

First, with the BB's, I saw a video on Kotaku where
Snake is taking pictures of them with the camera or something.. I assume there is something to unlock to get that mode? On Mantis I tried using hte tranq to take her out thinking that may unlock it but didnt work. How do you do that?

With the little Rolley guys with 3 arms, how do you effectively take those guys out? seems like they just keep coming and coming and coming.. Is there anyway to get around them w/ no alerts?

Anything other little easter eggs I should know about?

snoopers

I am multitalented
haunts said:
The
last fight with Liquid, the whole change of angle with the hits and everything else was mind blowing. Ive never seen anything like that in any game before.

You should try the Bourne Conspiracy :)

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Ehh.. my guess is bourne conspiracys graphics aren't even close to MGS4s in a sequence like that but I could be wrong. ;p

haunts said:
Ehh.. my guess is bourne conspiracys graphics aren't even close to MGS4s in a sequence like that but I could be wrong. ;p

It may not look as good, but more tthan half the game is those close up movie take downs.

Speevy said:
Hey snoopers, I did that sequence the hard way (not that yours didn't require more skill).

Had to kill 6 Gekkos
I was wondering when you were going to get the game. A few days after it came out you kept popping on and offline every few seconds but no MGS4.

snoopers

I am multitalented
belvedere said:
Or Buzz!

You know there is more than just MGS4 out there. Bourne is a cool game, and if you liked the
fight
sequence you should try it because it's the same concept but much better done, and on a bigger scale.

speevy: haha, I'd really like to see that :)
speevy has no skill confirmed

1stStrike

Banned
If I can get through the first part of act 5 every try on the boss extreme with no alerts, then you guys should be able to figure it out on any other difficulty.

Also, in regards to the
robot guys..they never stop coming until your alert goes away. Just..don't get caught.

A lot of you guys really aren't..uhh..good at stealth games are you? Or you've never played an MGS game before..cause there's a lot of people having issues here in spots that they really shouldn't be having issues.

I think one of the key problems people are having is..patience. You can't rush shit and expect to not get caught. You also need to pay attention to your surroundings. The solid eye almost makes things too easy. Plus, you have the threat ring to back you up.

Not trying to start an arguement or flame anyone, but really, take some time and think about what you're trying to do.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
tha_con said:
To the average gamer, there is about 8 hours of 'gameplay' on their first playthrough, IF YOUR FUCKING GOOD AND FAST.

Most 'gamers' as you would have it (aka college kids) will get about 10 hours of 'gameplay' and the rest will be cutscenes.

Call of Facking Duty 4 was like 4 or 5 hours? Give me a break.

Welcome to the next generation. Skip the cutscenes and it's the AVERAGE time for a Next Generation title. Welcome to reality, I hope you enjoy your stay.
I was going to mention this myself. The game itself (not including any cutscenes) is still slightly longer than your average action game. It was certainly longer than Call of Duty 4, Gears of War, Heavenly Sword, and many other similar games.

Still, due to the amount of cutscenes, it does feel somewhat light on gameplay despite this fact. One thing the game does well is mixing up the gameplay. By the end of most games, you often DO feel as if everything is starting to drag a bit, but with MGS4, the gameplay is so varied that you end up feeling exactly the opposite. There simply wasn't enough of each type of gameplay to fully satisfy me. Most scenarios are of such high quality that replaying them becomes quite enjoyable and offers a new experience.

careksims

1stStrike said:
I think one of the key problems people are having is..patience. You can't rush shit and expect to not get caught. You also need to pay attention to your surroundings. The solid eye almost makes things too easy. Plus, you have the threat ring to back you up.

I whole-heartily agree. I love taking it nice and easy. Feels rewarding when you sneak by without any alerts or even a caution.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
1stStrike said:
If I can get through the first part of act 5 every try on the boss extreme with no alerts, then you guys should be able to figure it out on any other difficulty.

Also, in regards to the
robot guys..they never stop coming until your alert goes away. Just..don't get caught.

A lot of you guys really aren't..uhh..good at stealth games are you? Or you've never played an MGS game before..cause there's a lot of people having issues here in spots that they really shouldn't be having issues.

Not trying to start an arguement or flame anyone, but really, take some time and think about what you're trying to do.

The problem with Act 4 and 5 is in Acts 1-2 they allowed you to play however you want, where in Act 4-5 they FORCE you to play stealth. They took away what I thought was going to make MGS4 stand above the rest.

Speevy

Banned
1stStrike said:

Also, in regards to the

Sneaking around on your belly for 5 minutes, engaging camo just so three or four enemies won't see you (for me) is tedious, nerve-wracking, and ultimately unrewarding.

MGS is designed perfectly in that regard. You can play how you want to play.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ICallItFutile said:
The problem with Act 4 and 5 is in Acts 1-2 they allowed you to play however you want, where in Act 4-5 they FORCE you to play stealth. They took away what I thought was going to make MGS4 stand above the rest.
The idea isn't bad, but they didn't give you enough freedom overall. MGS3 was similar in that the last 30% of the game becomes a cinematic roller coaster while the majority of the game was pretty open ended. MGS4 is split right down the middle with only half of the game offering open ended play while the other is divided between cutscenes and more limited play.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Speevy said:
Sneaking around on your belly for 5 minutes, engaging camo just so three or four enemies won't see you (for me) is tedious, nerve-wracking, and ultimately unrewarding.

MGS is designed perfectly in that regard. You can play how you want to play.

Sneaking CAN be rewarding, but in Act 4-5 hiding/camo don't do shit if you're caught. All you can hope to do is get to the next area.

Speevy

Banned
ICallItFutile said:

I didn't play stealthy in acts 4 or 5.

Blasted the hell out of the unmanned sentries, blasted the hell out of the PMCs, blasted the hell out of the gekkos. I think everyone needs to try beating the "get to the airlock door" sequence without sneaking.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
So whats the best way to take out the robot guys? Or should I just try to sneak past hem altogether.. Does it count as a "kill" when you take them out?

ICallItFutile said:

I think the actual problems of 4 and 5 aren't that they force you to play a certain way, it's that there is not as much to play with. I could play acts 1 and 2 over and over again. But, after the beginning of act 3, it loses that. Yes, act 4 is amazing. And the final fight of act 5 is great. I just wanted more of acts 1 and 2's game play.

Edit: I also wish there was a way to restart my game, keeping all the DP, I've acquired. That'd be fun.

haunts said:
So whats the best way to take out the robot guys? Or should I just try to sneak past hem altogether.. Does it count as a "kill" when you take them out?

Are you talking about the Powered Suits in act 2? Or the Gekkos? Powered Suits are kills. Gekkos aren't

Speevy

Banned
haunts said:

Grenade launcher

If you're talking about Gekkos, rail gun to the head

haunts

Bacon of Hope
One thing ill say is the Fence Camo looks so awesome.. you look like some bad ass version of spiderman or something esp with the
face camo
. I ran around just with that camo on through part of the game it looked so bad ass.

crowphoenix said:
I think the actual problems of 4 and 5 aren't that they force you to play a certain way, it's that there is not as much to play with. I could play acts 1 and 2 over and over again. But, after the beginning of act 3, it loses that. Yes, act 4 is amazing. And the final fight of act 5 is great. I just wanted more of acts 1 and 2's game play.

Are you talking about the Powered Suits in act 2? Or the Gekkos? Powered Suits are kills. Gekkos aren't

The little dude with 3 arms.

1stStrike

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Also, think of all those hours that the clock didnt record of you screwing up and having to exit the game and reload on a perfect run!

I'm assuming that's directed at me. I definitely made mistakes, but mostly ones that got me killed in boss battles (or the on rails parts). I was pretty excited when I got to act 5 on extreme and still managed to get through it without an alert on the first try.

I never claimed I was perfect, but parts like this in the game that require a bit of patience are easy as long as you open your eyes and look at all the possibilities before you.

And yes, you can run and gun through that place..I might even do that on my next play through (trying for all 40 badges), but on extreme you're not going to run and gun anywhere. You guys that played the game on normal or easy haven't seen just how hard some parts of this game can be if you try running around guns blazing.

crowphoenix said:

While Act 4, outside of the bosses mind you, wasnt bad, after playing 1 and 2 they feel dated.
Because they were all sentries, octocamo was useless which made the game play a bit more like the old games (which is what they where going for i guess to keep adding nostalga) which is far more boring. The real game ends at chapter 2 and the story begins, imo.

Speevy

Banned
I think I'll try run-and-gun on Boss Extreme on my third playthrough.

Right now I'm on the easiest level just so I can try out the weapons and waste everything in the game.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Ill ask again...
how do you get that mode with the bosses where you can take photos? I saw this on Kotaku and figured there was another way to beat the bosses after they come out of thier suits? Is this right or is it just some downloadable extra or something?

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
eso76 said:
so speaking of Raiden's ending.

at first you think snake isn't really realizing his status, telling him to go back to his family (like that ? head and spine ? what for ?) but apparently it's us who didn't realize Raiden's choice was not that dramatic, since it was so easily reversed. Which makes us think, it's quite funny there's no way to save snake from a simple 'dying of old age' when just about everyone in the series has died at least once, burned down, had limbs cut off etc. and was then revived for the next chapter : P at the very least, they could take his head and spine, put them in some cyborg body, clone him again, and put head and spine back in a young snake's body.

oh well. I guess the database will help me clear a few issues i had with the story.

It wasn't easily reversed. He's still in a cyborg body. That's not human flesh. If you look closely you can see the seems. Snake wouldn't want to be a freak like that. He probably doesn't even have a penis.

tha_con said:
To the average gamer, there is about 8 hours of 'gameplay' on their first playthrough, IF YOUR FUCKING GOOD AND FAST.

Most 'gamers' as you would have it (aka college kids) will get about 10 hours of 'gameplay' and the rest will be cutscenes.

Call of Facking Duty 4 was like 4 or 5 hours? Give me a break.

I'll be a little more clear then. Yes this game does have hrs of gameplay in it and yes i can skip the cutscenes but then that takes away from the story. The game had great gameplay but again because of the length of the cutscenes and the number of them it drowns out the gameplay (was bored and felt a lot the cutscenes dragged on and some were just really bad.)

I felt like I watched a D movie instead of playing a AAA game when I completed the game.

Welcome to the next generation. Skip the cutscenes and it's the AVERAGE time for a Next Generation title. Welcome to reality, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Getting mad there? The game is still 7/10 (single player campaign).

1stStrike

Banned
Speevy said:

Right now I'm on the easiest level just so I can try out the weapons and waste everything in the game.

Run and gun without using rations on the boss extreme? Not likely. Even with rations, you're limited to a total of 3 on extreme. So, that doesn't really give you a lot of extra health to play with (when 1 shot can take 1/4 - 1/2 of your life bar at that).

Enemies are also a lot more accurate on extreme too.

Mrbob

Speevy said:

I'm doing this on Solid Normal. Over 500 kills so far woo!

I had around 450 after act 2 but I can't get as many on these other acts.

maskrider

haunts said:
Ill ask again...
how do you get that mode with the bosses where you can take photos? I saw this on Kotaku and figured there was another way to beat the bosses after they come out of thier suits? Is this right or is it just some downloadable extra or something?

You mean those
B&B
, just stay in the area for enough time, you will be pulled into their
virtual arena, they will pose for you if you use your digital camera, or you can play the music Oishii Two-han Seikatsu and they will dance, if you want them to crawl, use your Oil Drum, tip over and roll

haunts

Bacon of Hope
^^^

awesome, I have to try that.

maskrider said:
You mean those
B&B
, just stay in the area for enough time, you will be pulled into their
virtual arena, they will pose for you if you use your digital camera, or you can play the music Oishii Two-han Seikatsu and they will dance, if you want them to crawl, use your Oil Drum, tip over and roll

oh thats interesting... thanks..

Speevy

Banned
besada said:
I just roll through them. They don't hurt you, and it's funny.

Rolling through anything is funny. I'd hate to be the PMC who had to explain that they were aiming an assault rifle and were defeated by a somersault.

1stStrike said:
I barrel roll through them. It's hillarious. Hop in the barrel, tip over and just knock their asses over.

You dont even need to bother with them. Throw one chaff grenade and you can get through all the rooms with them with no resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom