• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRG01

bloody pirate said:
Any tips on how to get past the first part of act 5? i keep getting spotted and after that and there seems like theres no way to progess after that... what am i missing?

Break from cover, go up the stairs and the ladder. Climb across and drop down while tapping triangle to catch yourself on the middle platform. Crouch and throw a magazine in front of you. You should be able to get the patrol beneath you to come forward. Tranq them, drop down and camo yourself onto the ground. Throw another magazine to the left and tranq that patrol as well. Move forward, and repeat until you hit the boxes on the left. Lean against the circular pillar (wait for the Gekko to move first) and slide past. You should hear two clicks in the distance as two Frogs landed to the distance. Lie down and tranq them. Move forward and you'll see another Gekko drop down in front of the door. Wait until the artillery barrage takes care of it. Move forward and look right until the far Gekko can't see you. Rush to the door and tap triangle. :)

Speevy said:
I didn't play stealthy in acts 4 or 5.

Blasted the hell out of the unmanned sentries, blasted the hell out of the PMCs, blasted the hell out of the gekkos. I think everyone needs to try beating the "get to the airlock door" sequence without sneaking.

but I thought this was a stealth game.......?

Zerachiel

TheBranca18 said:
MGS is known for cinematics, one could say moreso than gameplay, what possessed you to buy the game if you don't like them? The complaints are valid, there isn't enough gameplay, but I can't believe people would pay upwards of 60 dollars to get a game that doesn't appeal to them.

I don't think the cutscene's length was themselves a problem. It was just very poorly paced. Too often in the middle of an hour + long gameplay session, I was thinking, "man, a cutscene would be pretty cool right now," but then I'd long top get back to sneaking and shooting when a cutscene went on for like 40 minutes. The other MGS games did a much better job balancing the two IMO.

besada

Banned
SRG01 said:
Break from cover, go up the stairs and the ladder. Climb across and drop down while tapping triangle to catch yourself on the middle platform. Crouch and throw a magazine in front of you. You should be able to get the patrol beneath you to come forward. Tranq them, drop down and camo yourself onto the ground. Throw another magazine to the left and tranq that patrol as well. Move forward, and repeat until you hit the boxes on the left. Lean against the circular pillar (wait for the Gekko to move first) and slide past. You should hear two clicks in the distance as two Frogs landed to the distance. Lie down and tranq them. Move forward and you'll see another Gekko drop down in front of the door. Wait until the artillery barrage takes care of it. Move forward and look right until the far Gekko can't see you. Rush to the door and tap triangle. :)

I messed this up, set off an alert ran like crazy the entire length of the level, killed dozens of people and then managed to hide about ten feet from the door. Once everyone calmed back down, I snuck over and walked through. Not the most graceful method, but...

AzerPhire

EclipseGST said:
I meant its 7/10 for me. I can see how people give this a higher rating though.

Dude don't even bother, these guys won't accept anything less than Best Game Ever!!1! especially tha_con who will fight against every negative critism you have even if its legit.

NeoUltima

So I have a question regarding Liquid Ocelot...*ENDGAME SPOILER*
Was Ocelot simply pretending that Liquid took him over, or did he actually allow Liquid to take him over? I'm pretty sure it is the former of the two, but I just wanna be sure.

Teknoman

Whats with the red circles that keep popping up on Gekko legs and head? I thought that indicated weakpoints?

NeoUltima said:
Was Ocelot simply pretending that Liquid took him over, or did he actually allow Liquid to take him over? I'm pretty sure it is the former of the two, but I just wanna be sure.

Check the database if you've beaten the game, either that or just watch the entire ending sequence past the first set of credits.

NeoUltima said:

There is no clear answer. Ocelot added the personality of Liquid onto himself, so in a way it was Ocelot but behaving like Liquid. This caused he struggle between wanting Snake dead and wanting him alive. His ultimate goal was to get Snake to install the virus without the Patriots suspecting it would destroy the whole system, basically to use their own weapon, Snake, against them.

Kuroyume

Banned
Wasn't there supposed to be new music released yesterday with the database? All that I see that's new is the blue octo camouflage pattern.

About Liquid Ocelot (SPOILERS):

He was practically conditioned to "become" Liquid Snake, wasn't he? Both psychologically and through nanomachine control. He essentially did become Liquid Snake, personality and all, just not actually and physically.

NeoUltima

Teknoman said:
Whats with the red circles that keep popping up on Gekko legs and head? I thought that indicated weakpoints?

Check the database if you've beaten the game, either that or just watch the entire ending sequence past the first set of credits.
The database, at least with the terms I looked up, still didn't provide a definitive answer. Although *more endgame spoilers*
Big Boss did say "Ocelot used nanomachines and psychotherapy to transplant Liquid's personality into his own mind. He used hypnotic suggestion to turn himself in a mental doppleganger of Liquid." Now does that mean that Ocelot had no control over himself, and that Liquid's personality took over? Or was Ocelot still in complete control?

MiamiWesker said:
There is no clear answer. Ocelot added the personality of Liquid onto himself, so in a way it was Ocelot but behaving like Liquid. This caused he struggle between wanting Snake dead and wanting him alive. His ultimate goal was to get Snake to install the virus without the Patriots suspecting it would destroy the whole system, basically to use their own weapon, Snake, against them.
Ahh..so
it was like a mix of both?

1stStrike

Banned
U K Narayan said:
This does not exist, nor would I ever expect it to exist.

It will. There's compilations on youtube (not high def though, mind you) of every other metal gear game ever released. You can sit there and watch someone play through it, see all the story scenes, easter eggs, etc. They're somewhat interesting and definitely helpful if you can't get the game or don't have the game.

Gamer @ Heart said:
You dont even need to bother with them. Throw one chaff grenade and you can get through all the rooms with them with no resistance.

That takes all the fun out of it though :p

Speevy

Banned
tha_con said:
I'll have to find a way to vidcap my run through of the beginning of Act 5...it's so easy, I really don't understand why anyone at all has any trouble with it.

Again,
killed 6 Gekkos, trying to escape through a door before more show up.

NeoUltima said:
The database, at least with the terms I looked up, still didn't provide a definitive answer. Although *more endgame spoilers*
Big Boss did say "Ocelot used nanomachines and psychotherapy to transplant Liquid's personality into his own mind. He used hypnotic suggestion to turn himself in a mental doppleganger of Liquid." Now does that mean that Ocelot had no control over himself, and that Liquid's personality took over? Or was Ocelot still in complete control?

I think he essentially lost his own personality in order to become Liquid, that was Ocelot's sacrifice. He only regains control in his moment of death.

NeoUltima said:

I assume he had control in a sense. Ocelot was basically doing what he wanted to do, he just did it in a very evil murderous way which would be the way Liquid would do it. It was basically a mix of the two, its not like Liquid was in his body taking control, there was no Liquid, it was just a personality.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Q about Gekkos:
Will you ever be forced to fight them? I thought it sucked that Act 1 ended on such a non-interactive moment. I had somewhat guessed that act would end with a boss encounter or a Gekko fight given how they introduce them in the opening...but Nope! Act 2 throws them at you near the end, but Otacon just yells RUN PAST THEM and won't shut up even if you do engage! The whole encounter lasted 10 seconds as the cutscene trigger was just down the street. It's been a stupid dissapointment so far, cool enemies you just run past. :/

Speevy

Banned
Brandon F said:
Q about Gekkos:
Will you ever be forced to fight them? I thought it sucked that Act 1 ended on such a non-interactive moment. Act 2 throws them at you near the end, but Otacon just yells RUN PAST THEM and won't shut up even if you do engage! The whole encounter lasted 10 seconds as the cutscene trigger was just down the street. It's been a stupid dissapointment so far, cool enemies you just run past. :/

You won't be disappointed. Trust me.

tha_con

Banned
EclipseGST said:
but I thought this was a stealth game.......?

Really?

I could have sworn MGS games almost always game with the Tag line: Tactical Espionage Action

Crazy mixed up world I live in I guess.

Brandon F said:
Q about Gekkos:
Will you ever be forced to fight them? I thought it sucked that Act 1 ended on such a non-interactive moment. Act 2 throws them at you near the end, but Otacon just yells RUN PAST THEM and won't shut up even if you do engage! The whole encounter lasted 10 seconds as the cutscene trigger was just down the street. It's been a stupid dissapointment so far, cool enemies you just run past. :/

Keep playing.

Brandon F

Speevy said:
Am I the only one who wishes they would have let you
control Raiden and swordfight with Vamp

Totally. It doesn't help that the entire fight was pretty much spoiled months before in a trailer as well. Seeing Raiden's introduction and acrobatics only made me wish for a brief gameplay switch

1stStrike

Banned
Choke on the Magic said:
Oh shit how are you supposed to get through that
bike sequence
without a kill or using a ration? It's insane!

Took about 2 1/2 hours and 30 or so tries..I lost count.

I was only using the tranq pistol and the double barrel shotty with the air rounds. Obviously, going for a no kill game. It would've been a lot easier if I was actually using weapons that weren't single shots.

Basically, in the first two sections, use the tranq pistol and stun grenades as appropriate. Then, in the last section, swap to auto-aim as you get to the guys with turrets and then go back to regular aiming. Also, I would shoot someone with the tranq pistol then swap to the shotgun and get a shot off with that if I was lacking on time to reload.

Lastly, the stun grenades are your friend in the last section of the motorcycle chase. Without them, I doubt you'll ever make it through.

It's really, really tough and frustrating on extreme, but you feel like a million bucks when you finally get through it.

Teknoman

Was there a place in game to actually swim? I havent seen the O2 meter once in the game.

Also I dont think i've gotten 1 combat high. How does it look in game when you achieve that status?

Teknoman said:
Was there a place in game to actually swim? I havent seen the O2 meter once in the game.

Also I dont think i've gotten 1 combat high. How does it look in game when you achieve that status?

I don't think there is any place to swim in the game at all.

And a combat high is the same as normal, only difference is that you have better aim and you are more resistant to damage.

Steroyd

NeoUltima said:

Ocelot had no control over himself, and like Naomi, Vamp and Snake it wasn't until he started injecting himself alot at the end was he starting to turn back into Ocelot supressing the nanomachines, it would make the most sense given that his name changes to "Ocelot" when you're fighting in the MGS3 theme tune, and how he did his "pose" right before he died.

Farnack

Banned
Teknoman said:

Shoot 100 times in alert status.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Brandon F said:
It doesn't help that the entire fight was pretty much spoiled months before in a trailer as well.

Cant be said enough. Made me wish I hadent seen ANY of the trailers..

belvedere

Junior Butler
Semi-OT but are there any Gamestop employees here that might know the size of their MGS4 posters?

I was given a Raiden MGS4 poster and was going to frame it but it's dimensions don't exactly seem normal. It's pretty big.

Obviously I'd measure it but I'm at work and was hoping to pick up a frame tonight.

:D

tha_con

Banned
Teknoman said:

You can "swim" in
Act 2. There are some water ways and the river where you can swim. You'll also get an O2 meter during some of the boss fights because they'll try to choke you, or if the Frogs use CQC on you, they'll wrap a cord around your neck and flip you around their back to choke the air out of you. Also happens on the last fight against Ocelot, you'll get choked out during some sequences I believe if he catches you with CQC.

NeoUltima

Reading the strat. guide...it seems to say that (more Liquid Ocelot spoilers)
Ocelot was still in control deep down. Basically, the mind of Ocelot laid out the goals(luring Snake, etc) while the personality of Liquid carried out those goals with his unorthodox means. Where I got confused is that the guide says that Ocelot had no plans of actually destroying JD with the nuke. So if Snake failed to deliver the virus, I guess we would have to assume that no nuke would be shot, or it would intentionally miss JD.
I really need to stop overthinking these things...ugh

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Teknoman said:

I don't think there is a place to swim, but really, why would you even want to? The swimming was pretty terrible in the other games. You can wade through water in MGS4, but not actually dive.

Brandon F

gray_fox224 said:
After finishing my first play-through, I feel like playing
Snake Eater again

I took a break after Act 1 to play the entirety of MGS2 again(Hard mode dogtag run no less!). Definately plan to revisit MGS3 once I clear 4. It will be my first attempt at MGS3 extreme difficulty too!

Mrbob

Is the combat high where you hear the odd voices in the background and snake pukes? I had that happen to me a couple times on the first two acts, trying to figure out what it was.

You can do some sort of crawl underwater in the second act. I had it happen to me but I was stuck for awhile. Finally got back up near the edge of one of the ponds. It was annoying I thought I was stuck.

roxya

gray_fox224 said:
After finishing my first play-through, I feel like playing
Snake Eater again

I want to but I don't think I can go back, gameplay wise. MGS4 ruined the series for me :lol

NeoUltima

Steroyd said:
Ocelot had no control over himself, and like Naomi, Vamp and Snake it wasn't until he started injecting himself alot at the end was he starting to turn back into Ocelot supressing the nanomachines, it would make the most sense given that his name changes to "Ocelot" when you're fighting in the MGS3 theme tune, and how he did his "pose" right before he died.
If
Ocelot had no control whatsoever though, how could he have known that everything would have played out how it did?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom