• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Brandon F said:
Why? MGS Essential Collection is everywhere. Oh wait...40gb PS3 right?
MGS1 will play on a 40gb PS3. All PS3s play PSX games. It's only PS2 games that the 40gb will not play.

jjasper

dark10x said:
I don't think there is a place to swim, but really, why would you even want to? The swimming was pretty terrible in the other games. You can wade through water in MGS4, but not actually dive.

You can swim in act 2

kurahadol

Speevy said:
I wish Konami/Sony would bring the original MGS to the US PSN.

Probably one of the best ideas I've heard.

Edit: I actually read this as the original MG, thinking the first 2 games for MSX. So it's still a good idea, just not as awesome as bringing the original two Metal Gear games to PSN. I'm too tired at work today.

tha_con said:
Really?

I could have sworn MGS games almost always game with the Tag line: Tactical Espionage Action

Crazy mixed up world I live in I guess.

Oh ok. But maybe you could of picked up on the sarcasm......no? Then I can't help you.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Act 5 Spoilers:

Someone told me you find out Raiden is alive before he shows up in Outer Heaven to save you? Is this true? I never heard them mention he was alive.

Speevy

Banned
ICallItFutile said:
Act 5 Spoilers:

Someone told me you find out Raiden is alive before he shows up in Outer Heaven to save you? Is this true? I never heard them mention he was alive.

I'm not sure about that, but I definitely thought he was dead on two separate occasions. Come to think of it, I thought Meryl and her squad were dead after Act 1 and Act 3.

tha_con

Banned
Speevy said:
I'm not sure about that, but I definitely thought he was dead on two separate occasions. Come to think of it, I thought Meryl and her squad were dead after Act 1 and Act 3.

during the mission brief for Act 5 Snake asks how Raiden is, and Otacon I think tells him "He's going ot be okay, but he's in no condition to fight" or something like that.

Speevy

Banned
tha_con said:
during the mission brief for Act 5 Snake asks how Raiden is, and Otacon I think tells him "He's going ot be okay, but he's in no condition to fight" or something like that.

Oh yeah, that's right.

I was like
Didn't he just get crushed by a ship?

rcua1884

ICallItFutile said:
Act 5 Spoilers:

Otacon mentions it after the Act 5 briefing when you're on your way to the man cannons. Snake says something to the effect of, "How's Raiden?" to which Otacon replies, "He'll live."

tha_con

Banned
Side note: The absolute best thing in this game is pumping Gekko full of elephant tranq's and hearing them wail and scream. It's so satisfying.

Brandon F said:
Totally. It doesn't help that the entire fight was pretty much spoiled months before in a trailer as well. Seeing Raiden's introduction and acrobatics only made me wish for a brief gameplay switch
or at least the game should let you control Snake providing sniper support

Teknoman

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
or at least the game should let you control Snake providing sniper support

That would've been nice, and maybe a nod to Silent Scope (Konami made that right?)

Also I think im gonna play through Portable Ops -> MG -> MG2: Solid Snake before I do another playthrough (this time on Big Boss Hard)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i saw the 'solid eye' bluetooth at best buy today for $29. it looked REALLY slick.

does anyone have it, and use it for more than the ps3? how is it?

FlashbladeGAF said:
you can also swim in Act 3

I know... your like HOW... WHERE ?!!

but if you explore you will find a place where you can.

I like how Big Boss Hard lengthens the life of that mission and takes you through that area

Mrbob said:
Is the combat high where you hear the odd voices in the background and snake pukes? I had that happen to me a couple times on the first two acts, trying to figure out what it was.

You can do some sort of crawl underwater in the second act. I had it happen to me but I was stuck for awhile. Finally got back up near the edge of one of the ponds. It was annoying I thought I was stuck.

in the top left corner of the screen the words 'combat high' will appear - it's not always when you hear voices

Teknoman

mattiewheels said:
i saw the 'solid eye' bluetooth at best buy today for $29. it looked REALLY slick.

does anyone have it, and use it for more than the ps3? how is it?

Bad experience with mine. It was defective and had static popping all over. That and a wierd high pitched ringing noise whenever I put my hand remotely close to it.

Also Big Boss Hard alters the way certain missions play out?

1stStrike

Banned
Teknoman said:
Also Big Boss Hard alters the way certain missions play out?

Yea..the harder difficulties change certain parts of the game dramatically. People that play on normal or easy have no idea what they're missing.

Ganondorfo

Too bad that you can't play a random act after beating the game, because I like to play act 4 again, but I need to restart at the beginning of the game...

suikodan

One of my favorite moves is the side roll (L1+ L Stick + X). I found it very useful to get past
the frozen Gekkos plus the ones just before Rex's hangar
in Act 4 and in the first part of Act 5. It's too bad that I just learned it past Act 3. :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ganondorfo said:
Too bad that you can't play a random act after beating the game, because I like to play act 4 again, but I need to restart at the beginning of the game...
One save per act ftw :)!

dark10x

Mromson said:
I really wish they added more content into Act 5... Metal Gear Solid 4: Subsisistancé with extended Act 5 anyone? :lol
I'd extend more than that, personally. I know they won't do it, but there are several points throughout the game where I believe they could easily include additional gameplay sequences without compromising the original pacing (in fact, it would probably improve things).

Mromson said:
I really wish they added more content into Act 5... Metal Gear Solid 4: Subsisistancé with extended Act 5 anyone? :lol

Length wise Act 5 is pretty much like Arsenal Gear.
I mean, you walk around to get to point A to B without getting spotted. Then you go through a bunch of fights, a Boss fight, then the final fight. Infact I think it's meant to be exactly the same o_o

mileS

Seiken said:
One save per act ftw :)!

Haha I went a step further and made a save for each and every new zone the game lets you save. I did that for the two times i've beat the game so i'm pretty sure I have about 60+ saves :lol

Hey we don't have to worry about memory card space anymore so why not ? :D

Raistlin

Not sure how I missed this in my earlier playthrough of Act 2 (don't kill me if already noticed, this thread is MONSTROUS)

When you invade the mansion before getting to Naomi's research lab, take a look around in the bedroom upstairs. Notice anything above the bed? :lol Kojima just kills me!!

Also somehow failed to notice that shooting out lights actually effects the lighting in rooms. Seems to be simply swapping light maps (can't imagine its realtime?), but cool looking none-the-less. Each light actually effects it, so they have a ton of light maps per texture.

Think that can be added to the list of 'why is this game take up a lot of memory' (beyond sound).

Farnack

Banned
god fing damnit!

I done all kinds of rolls and I still can't get the scarab emblem!

Scarab - Must execute 100 dive rolls.

Wtf does this mean? I done 200 front rolls, side rolls, rolls into prone, that rolling thing when you're lying down. What is it!

I feel like I'm the only person playintg through using mostly tranquelizer rounds. I only use lethal force if I'm spotted and surrounded. I played like this in MGS2 as well. But MGS3's camera and lack of radar was so awful I just ran and shot through the entire levels until I hit a cut scene.

revolverjgw said:
I like how Big Boss Hard lengthens the life of that mission and takes you through that area

I can understand how people might not like the beginning of Act 3, but me personally having played the extended version (BB hard) first, I thought it was #@*$ awesome. I had a smile on my face the whole time.

Although it was fun playing in the suit, switching to Camo really opened things up and got me out of some tough situations when I tried to rescue the rebel after he ended up getting himself caught.
Some serious close calls, especially near the end. Which made me love the scenario even more

Question about no kill runs before I start mine: Can you still blow up the tank things (whatever they're called - there's one in the first act and some during act 2's
vehicle section
) and the power suit guys (also during act 2's
vehicle section
)? Or do those count as kills?

Edit: Oh, and does using the camera count as a special item? I think it did in MGS1.

Mromson

dabookerman said:
Length wise Act 5 is pretty much like Arsenal Gear.
I mean, you walk around to get to point A to B without getting spotted. Then you go through a bunch of fights, a Boss fight, then the final fight. Infact I think it's meant to be exactly the same o_o
Yeah...

But it opens up to be such a huge level that you can play around with, only to disappoint with only one free roaming level where all the doors are sealed shut. It would leave a lot more room to split up some plot points and make em easier to understand, if only they expanded that level further...

Mromson said:
Yeah...

But it opens up to be such a huge level that you can play around with, only to disappoint with only one free roaming level where all the doors are sealed shut. It would leave a lot more room to split up some plot points and make em easier to understand, if only they expanded that level further...

The one bit that makes me laugh about that act is
After you go down the lift after the first bit, and it loads for a bit long, you end up in a tiny room, you go through the door and theres another big cutscene. I don't think theres a better example than this one ;p

Teknoman

1stStrike said:
Yea..the harder difficulties change certain parts of the game dramatically. People that play on normal or easy have no idea what they're missing.

Really? Nice. I was hoping that actually. Didnt want playthroughs on harder difficulties to feel exactly the same. Definatly not going through a no kill +alert run my first time through either. That'll have to wait.

Also better be trophies for MGS4 when 2.40 hits.

Speevy said:
Am I the only one who wishes they would have let you
control Raiden and swordfight with Vamp

Kojima pretty much accomplished what he wanted to do, then. You're being pulled and pushed like a puppet, my friend.

dark10x

Also somehow failed to notice that shooting out lights actually effects the lighting in rooms. Seems to be simply swapping light maps (can't imagine its realtime?), but cool looking none-the-less. Each light actually effects it, so they have a ton of light maps per texture.
The dynamic lights in the game are realtime.

ZeroTolerance

Ninja Kn1ght said:
Hint: His nanomachines are what make him immortal, so you need to think of a way to disable them

Greg said:
Keep bugging Otacon is the best thing I can tell you without giving it away. :lol

I know but the fecker keeps getting up even when i tranquilize it
.....Give it away guys...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom