• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

domlolz

Banned
I think what I don't like about the ending is
that it totally overshadows and undermines all Snake's actions-this is his last mission and he has just ended up being a hired gun as per usual-I guess Snake wasn't too surprised but I'd of liked Snake to have done something for himself.

Third time through and just watching my brother play Act 4 and the music kicking in-it's still really emotional

Ganondorfo

domlolz said:
I think what I don't like about the ending is
that it totally overshadows and undermines all Snake's actions-this is his last mission and he has just ended up being a hired gun as per usual-I guess Snake wasn't too surprised but I'd of liked Snake to have done something for himself.

Third time through and just watching my brother play Act 4 and the music kicking in-it's still really emotional

I would have liked a
fight between old snake and big boss at the graveyard, just like big boss against the boss in snake eater with the track "debriefing"

Ganondorfo

jjasper said:
Man I am starting to wonder if I was the only person that liked the ending.

The ending was good, but could have been more amazing, but the scene of
big boss salute to the grave of the boss just like he did in snake eater was the best scene of that ending

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
dabookerman said:
I've never tested that out actually. Any good spots to try it?
Well, when underground in the first area, you'll find that the battle above causes the lights to shake around changing the shadows below them. I did not try it myself, but you could probably shoot each of those lights as well (not break the light, but cause it to move).

I know that, in the act III boss fight, the flying enemies all have a realtime light source attached to them that causes shadows to be cast all around you.

All of the shadows are realtime. They don't seem to use any pre-baked light maps at all.

I also haven't tried it, but you can purchase a flashlight for your gun and I'm sure it creates a realtime light source as well.

I'll have to fiddle around more on my second playthrough. Most of the areas you explore are large outdoor battlegrounds where the only light source would be the sun. Whenever there are minor lights present, however, they all seem dynamic (they properly cast shadows and display light on all objects).

1stStrike

Banned
Dark Octave said:
I feel like I'm the only person playintg through using mostly tranquelizer rounds. I only use lethal force if I'm spotted and surrounded. I played like this in MGS2 as well. But MGS3's camera and lack of radar was so awful I just ran and shot through the entire levels until I hit a cut scene.

In my 3 play throughs of the game I've primarily used tranquilizer rounds. The first time, however, I used the sniper rifles quite a bit so I did end up with a decent amount of kills before I finished the game (something like 120 or so).

The 2nd time through I was going for a no kill/no alert run and ended up with 3 kills by accident. Still got no alerts though (granted this was on easy).

And of course, nothing but tranqs on my boss extreme run.

I've always preferred to tranq since it's always silenced and 1 shot anywhere in their body is guaranteed to drop them (just not always immediately depending on where they're hit).

I never felt right about running and gunning in a stealth game.

tha_con

Banned
I love Act 2, when you're under ground headed for the Lab, that the lighting moves with explosions, but the lights themselves don't. :lol

Ganondorfo said:
The ending was good, but could have been more amazing, but the scene of
big boss salute to the grave of the boss just like he did in snake eater was the best scene of that ending

It was wierd how something emotional would happen, the music would pick up.....then back down. More talking...music....he rises...more talking. but yeah, when he finnaly saluted her, it got to me. "It was good" was his last line right?

burgerdog

dark10x said:
I also haven't tried it, but you can purchase a flashlight for your gun and I'm sure it creates a realtime light source as well.

Unfortunately, unless there's a way to keep it on indefinitely, the flashlight is only on for about 2-3 seconds after you press L1. After that it shuts off.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
burgerdog said:
You can swim in mgs4, there's a pool of water deep enough for you to dive in. Here's a picture of said area.
http://i32.tinypic.com/rs9col.jpg

Yeah, it's really weird though. You can wade in the water, but if you go prone, you swim. If you want to resurface you need to swim up, and it seems like you're ten feet under. Bizarre.

jjasper said:

Your not.
When it went to the credits I wanted more,
and it gave it to me.

MAJOR SPOILER DO NOT READ!!!! SERIOUSLY
the fact that he didn't commit suicide after all the build up was awesome. Snake, after all the crap that came his way, got to live the rest of his days in peace...hopefully. If anyone deserved it, it was him.
MAJOR SPOILER DO NOT READ!!!! SERIOUSLY

I keep forgetting to mention one of the funniest scenes in the game for me.

It's when we first are introduced to Rat Patrol 01 and its member Jonathan (the huge mohawk dude).

His haircut and the accompanying "!" sound-effect were brilliant. :)

domlolz

Banned
jjasper said:

I liked it I just thought it would of ended better without it,it just seems like it's a twist which wasn't necessary

Also,
did Ocelot even have Liquid's arm?It didn't look like it or did I miss something in one of the dialogues(I know that he willingly took on Liquid's personality,which is something else I'm not too keen on either.I'd of preferred Liquid to have just taken Ocelot's body and leave it at that

Also,notice how Ocelot pretty much lets out that Big Boss is still alive at the end of Act 3?When he is talking to Snake.

Roxas

Gamer @ Heart said:
It was wierd how something emotional would happen, the music would pick up.....then back down. More talking...music....he rises...more talking. but yeah, when he finnaly saluted her, it got to me. "It was good" was his last line right?

"This is good......Isn't it?"

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I thought the ending
was great! One of the problems MGS had was that there was no real connection to Big Boss. Sure we heard a lot about him but most people didnt play the MSX games and not until MGS3 did we really have a chance to fully enjoy the character. Seeing him physically alive talking with Snake at the ending brought the whole series full circle because we got to see what the character we played as in MGS3 had become rather than being told about it. It was reeeal weird and meta and I had all these emotions seeing Naked Snake and Solid Snake interact and see how they respected each other. If Snake had offed himself at the end, it would have been OK, but finally Snake now has a chance to live his own life for a little bit, something he never had the chance to do, and now we also have real closure to all of the MGS3 characters.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
dark10x said:
I'd extend more than that, personally. I know they won't do it, but there are several points throughout the game where I believe they could easily include additional gameplay sequences without compromising the original pacing (in fact, it would probably improve things).

Acts 3, 4, and 5 all feel shortchanged in terms of gameplay. They introduce a decent premise --
whether it's stealth in the city, in a blizzard, or on a ship
-- but it usually ends after a few sections. Act 5 is obviously the most egregious offender in this regard. It starts with with an amazing stealth segment, but ends when you leave that section and gets locked in rollercoaster and boss mode.

Also, for a game that's so focused on a great cinematic experience, I'm surprised you can't watch all the great moneyshot cutscenes throughout the game from a menu somehow. Oh well.

I finished Act 5 last night and went to bed. I will watch the Epilogue tonight. Looking forward to the series finale.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Gamer @ Heart said:
Che, would you agree MGS4 the "game" stops in the middle of act 3 and MGS4 the movie with a side of fanservice begins?

There isn't as much "game" but there's a whole lot of boss fights with plenty of game in them. Its like saying Shadow of the Colossus isn't a game because its all boss fights.

tha_con

Banned
chespace said:
Also, for a game that's so focused on a great cinematic experience, I'm surprised you can't watch all the great moneyshot cutscenes throughout the game from a menu somehow. Oh well.

They have to save something for Metal Gear Solid 4: Exsistence

besada

Banned
So, if you have a DS3, do you get a different response from Psycho Mantis
? I don't have one, and he was disappointed.

I loved his cameo.

Bricfa

(what I think should have been done with act 5)

They should have re-introduced the stealth-on-the-battlefield gameplay by having the US troops, supplied with weapons from Drebin, board Outer Haven with Snake. It would have made perfect sense within the story, and allowed players to experience that cool style of gameplay one more time before the final scenes.

depward said:
Yeah, I would love to have the ability to watch all of the cutscenes ala MGS3

And MGS2, and MGS1. A really curious omission. I wonder if the installs hindered this from being possible.

Edit:
Gamer @ Heart said:
I think it needs to start with S however, looking back at the others. :)
Integral.

NIN90

Act 4:
Did anyone catch Otacon's 'badass-line' in the codec conversation about Vulcan Raven's tank? That was made of pure win.

Attack You said:
And MGS2, and MGS1. A really curious omission. I wonder if the installs hindered this from being possible.

MGS2 didn't have a demo theatre. I checked both the standard version and Substance for it before MGS4, so I had to replay that one all over again. The closest it came was the cutscenne viewer in Document, but that didn't have sound.

Also I don't think the standard MGS3 had it either. MGS3:S did though.

domlolz

Banned
Anybody found any humourous codec moments?

If you get in a trash can on act 1 and call Otacon

Any more?

I wish we could of called Otacon while in the room we fought with Grey Fox and picked on him about his little 'incident',
like you did in MGS2

domlolz

Banned
Attack You said:
Ohh, right. I remember what that was now: you could view the cut-scenes, but there was no audio.

There was audio-you could just change all the characters around plus not all the cutscenes were available

I'd love for the MGS2 intro to be remade with the MGS4 engine

Maybe that was just PAL though

NIN90

ThirstyFly said:
MGS2 didn't have a demo theatre. I checked both the standard version and Substance for it before MGS4, so I had to replay that one all over again. The closest it came was the cutscenne viewer in Document, but that didn't have sound.

Also I don't think the standard MGS3 had it either. MGS3:S did though.

There's a theatre in my european version of MGS2, IIRC.

The installs prevent and sort of Movie viewer. Unless they patch it to allow you to install every chapter, i dont see it happening until the rerelease sadly.

dhelfric said:
There's a theatre in my european version of MGS2, IIRC.

I can't remember what they called it, but in MGS2:S they had a casting theatre or something where you could replace the characters. There was only maybe 5 or so cutscenes though, not even close to being a full demo theatre like in MGS1/MGS3:S and Twin Snakes.

Gamer @ Heart said:
if they are downloadable, i suggest you lower your expectations from MGS4 type levels. Just sayin.
Well yeah, but I'd take any remake of any past MG/MGS game. (except Snake's Revenge:lol ) I started replaying Sons of Liberty yesterday and I definitely missed the free camera and better gunplay. :(

jjasper

Gamer @ Heart said:
if they are downloadable, i suggest you lower your expectations from MGS4 type levels. Just sayin.

When I say Bionic Commando I mean the PSN/XBLA game not the disc one. Basically a 2.5D HD remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom