• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OmegaSpur said:
Act 2 Boss Extreme run,
out of ammo for the tranq gun at the mansion, before the Laughing Octopus fight, any ideas anyone? :(
Buy ammo from Drebin...

traveler

Not Wario
Seiken said:
Buy ammo from Drebin...

You can't buy tranq shots on the highest difficulty. Protip: Do a stocking up run on Liquid Easy before attempting the BB run. (And that includes all variants of the smoke grenade, v-rings for the shotgun, etc.)

OmegaSpur

traveler said:
You can't buy tranq shots on the highest difficulty. Protip: Do a stocking up run on Liquid Easy before attempting the BB run. (And that includes all variants of the smoke grenade, v-rings for the shotgun, etc.)

Wish I had done this!

Finally about to finish it for a second time, took my sweet time exploring everything, so much I did not see before. Best game in years... dare I say it... better than RE4... ok I am not ready to decide that yet.

25in8tl.jpg

...there's another thread discussing the MGS4LE Bundle and I posted about mine...but thought I should post it in here just in case anyone else wanted a gander....now back to staying the fuck outta this thread!!!

DunpealD

Act 4 optional flashback spoiler:
When you get to the Heliport and "The best is yet to come" is playing, simulate the former old overhead view and Snake will react to it and it gives you 1500 DP.

I was really surprised at it :lol

burgerdog

Question about
Zero, what's the point of finding out his location if he's pretty much dead already? I guess, I don't really get why they want to find him and pull the plug, the guy is pretty much harmless now, or was.
End game spoiler btw.

djkimothy

burgerdog said:
Question about
Zero, what's the point of finding out his location if he's pretty much dead already? I guess, I don't really get why they want to find him and pull the plug, the guy is pretty much harmless now, or was.
End game spoiler btw.
It just brings finality to their story arc.

traveler

Not Wario
bloody pirate said:
I just beat the game.. i can safely say.. raiden is redeemed.. by a LONG SHOT!... HE IS THE SHIT

I know I'm probably alone on this, but I actually preferred Raiden in MGS2 to this. In MGS2, he actually felt like a character to me whereas in 4 he feels like nothing more than Advent Children level fanservice with
way too many "heroic sacrifices" to have an impact.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I have two questions.

I just finished the second act and the
gekkos towards the end as I am running towards the helicopter
wiped out my rations. Does Drebin sell rations?

Second, would it be too much to ask
Naomi
to just buttone ONE more button? :lol

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Greg said:
block, combo attack, repeat

You can block his attacks?

"Take this!" Fuck that. I had to dodge a bunch. Ended up killing him after 3 or 4 tries by mashing. :p

burgerdog

Wellington said:
I have two questions.

I just finished the second act and the
gekkos towards the end as I am running towards the helicopter
wiped out my rations. Does Drebin sell rations?

Second, would it be too much to ask
Naomi
to just buttone ONE more button? :lol

Nope, he doesn't sell any. Are you out of noodles and regain as well?

aparisi2274

Just beat the game on Naked Normal.

This is my game of the year. Hands down!!!

My rank at the end was "Hawk" and on my chart was a Hyena, Panther, and Pig.

Now someone needs to put out a DVD of all the cut scenes in hd.

calder

Just finished, fantastic game. Just under 21 hours total (I take my time, as evidenced by my post-game
Frog, Scorpion, Inchworm and Hyena
ranks. It's funny how those ranks perfectly describe my gameplay style for most any game with even a bit of stealth in it.

I personally liked the way everything went in the last few acts, and the story in general rocked (like most ppl I'm sure some arcs/scenes didn't work for me as much as others).

I guess to sum up my feelings I'd say it had an extremely high level of detail and craft applied to every facet. Good story (hobbled a bit by having to explain 20 years of kinda goofy shit but I love it anyway), great characters, some of the best and most satisfying cutscenes I've ever witnessed and drastically revamped gameplay that makes me want to replay it now just to try to see if I could sneak through a few areas I messed up and had to shoot my way out of. In a perfect world for me I'd love a chance to edit some cutscenes and conversations, a number of them I feel would have been better if they lost a quarter of the dialogue that just kinda repeated itself at times.

MGO here I come.

I'm gonna blow your mind by confirming that MGS is the prequel to Zone of the Enders.

Spoilers for Portable Ops:
Gene utilizes a move called Zero Shift at the end of Portable Ops. It basically transports him across the level.

IN ZONE OF THE ENDERS 2 YOU OBTAIN THE SAME ABILITY AND USE IT AT THE END OF THE GAME

BAM, WIN.

Zaptruder

Banned
Does anyone else feel they could wash an anime series or show done with MGS4 quality graphics perfectly happily?

The game is damn good looking... it's not quite photo-realistic... instead it's a different look. Like a high quality painting. And there's no sense of uncanny valley... it's really great.

It would be interesting to see a whole anime series like this... but that said, the cutscenes in the game are perfectly watchable and they're longer than an anime series anyway!

In the future, I can definetly be happy watching virtual actors instead of real actors, if it meant allowing us to pay the bastards less, as well having more flexible, more suitable looking 'actors' in place.

anaron said:
The path to GW was very emotional and perfectly executed as so many character's lives were on the line and I thought were going to die. Snake strugling to make it really got me as I felt like I was feeling it too. I was like "KEEP MOVING SNAKE! YOU HAVE TO KEEP GOING!" :p Him finally quitting smoking was perfect.

Thank you Kojima, Kojima productions and Konami for this incredible game and conclusion to one of the best videogame series around. Can't wait to see what you do next. :)

I started tearing up during the first part of that spoiler. I was hoping for the same outcome but I love how
he quit smoking and has a new shorter lease on life.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zaptruder said:
Does anyone else feel they could wash an anime series or show done with MGS4 quality graphics perfectly happily?

The game is damn good looking... it's not quite photo-realistic... instead it's a different look. Like a high quality painting. And there's no sense of uncanny valley... it's really great.

It would be interesting to see a whole anime series like this... but that said, the cutscenes in the game are perfectly watchable and they're longer than an anime series anyway!

In the future, I can definetly be happy watching virtual actors instead of real actors, if it meant allowing us to pay the bastards less, as well having more flexible, more suitable looking 'actors' in place.

I think this is what makes Metal Gear Solid 4, and the Metal Gear Solid series in general, look so damn good. It goes for a realistic look, but thanks to its style nothing in the game looks 'weird'. There are many games that are technically superior, but have the uncanny valley effect to a certain extent. Everything about MGS4 just looks right in my opinion.

Guled

fistfulofmetal said:
I'm gonna blow your mind by confirming that MGS is the prequel to Zone of the Enders.

Gene utilizes a move called Zero Shift at the end of Portable Ops. It basically transports him across the level.

IN ZONE OF THE ENDERS 2 YOU OBTAIN THE SAME ABILITY AND USE IT AT THE END OF THE GAME

BAM, WIN.
I think that all of kojima games take place in the same universe.

No_Style

fistfulofmetal said:

BAM, WIN.

I never played ZoE. =/

I just checked out the Gamespot review of ZoE2. To my surprise, it was written by none other than current GameTrailers EiC, Shane Satterfield. I said wow.

He gave it a 7.4/10 though.

fistfulofmetal said:

BAM, WIN.

They could really pull it out. I'm praying for a ZOE3 for PS3 confirmation this E3.

PLEAAAAAAASE.

Oh and btw, something funny I noticed today
When I was on the second phase of the Raging beauty, and when the background fades to white, if you pause the game and then go back... her boobs will bounce :lol

Oh and
Does the 140.85 frequency work at any time in this game?

OmegaSpur said:
Act 2 Boss Extreme run,
out of ammo for the tranq gun at the mansion, before the Laughing Octopus fight, any ideas anyone? :(

how are you on time. i started act III ( like i was playable stalking that guy) at 1:29:xx.

havent come close to running out of ammo yet, the solar gun is making this shit easier than i thought. im pretty sure with the gun i can tranq kill the B&B faster than normal health kill since it takes a 1/4-1/2 a stamina bar away.

everytime laughing octopus hid i was able to use the gun and Stun stab her taking a full stamina bar away each hit. good luck to you.

also USE the road. its the most uniform texture you can find in act 2. just lay down, aim perpendicular to the road, and aim roll the entire way, you stay at 75% index.

No_Style

Just in case people missed it: Interview with Ryan Payton from 1UP.

1UP said:
1UP: So how did you explain to the development team that something didn't feel right or needed fixing?

RP: What I usually do is hand them a controller and say, here, play Gears of War. Or Halo 3, or Mass Effect -- whatever big title is coming out in the West. I think that, by the end of the project, a lot of the people involved with the control scheme were really getting comfortable and had an understanding of what level we should be at by the time we launched the game.

TGS 2007 was a great testing ground for us. It was a huge milestone and really solidified what we were going for as far as the control scheme was concerned.

tha_con

Banned
Someone on another forum typed this up, and I found it fucking golden:

am curious about Liquid Snake's apparent artificial arm with the organic hand.

If Ocelot had to hide from the Patriot AI, he'd need three things.
False DNA
False Biometric signature
False brain wave pattern. These are the three things that make up an ID to the AI system.
Simply not having nanos would not allow him to access SOP. He needs nanos, but they cannot be attached to his own body. He would access nanos through a proxy(his robotic arm), while the nanos were stored within an organic extension(Liquid's hand).

time to explain:

Now, Ocelot could have simply ridded himself of Nanomachines, but that would have raised suspicion in the AI and also had disconnected him from SOP. That doesn't help him. He must have a way to connect to the AI.

But..he could still use nanomachines if he quarantined them to Liquid Snake's arm. This was done by creating a device to sustain his arm while masking his own DNA. A proxy. A proxy is used by a computer accessing a server, through another server, to keep it anonymous. The robotic arm was the proxy. It kept Liquid's hand alive through technology, but prevented the mingling of Ocelot's DNA or Nanomachines with that of Liquid Snake's, which were quarantined within his hand. Essentially, his hand was registered as a living person, while Ocelot himself remained anonymous.

So Liquid Snake's arm contained his nanomachines, DNA, Biometric Signature, and through wiring, it used Ocelot's brain waves to keep it alive, give it movement, and also complete the SOP ID that Ocelot now used. The psychotherapy reshaped his brainwaves to match the data recorded in Liquid's nanomachines, turning him into Liquid Snake's memetic doppleganger. This also allows Ocelot to NOT contain 4th gen Nanomachines in his own body, protecting him from the effects of the SOP withdrawl and removing him from having to register himself using 4th gen nanomachines. This hid him away.

So when this person(Liquid Ocelot) registered with the Patriot AI, it wasn't a person they are monitoring. It was not a threat. It was most likely not identified as Liquid died before the system was put in order. The interesting thing is that this turned Liquid Snake's right arm into a controller for SOP once he took the system. When he aimed and fired with that magic arm, he literally sent administrative commands through his arm and into SOP, ordering his soldiers to fire. His brain made the command and the system recognized the signature expressed through Liquid's hand and it was sent through his arm into the system, and delivered to the soldiers through GW.

That arm itself was a proxy server between himself, GW, SOP, and the soldiers now connected to it.

Wow.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Act 5:

What does Mantis say if you don't have a DualShock 3? And are there anything else he comments on, like if you have a memory card adapter or not?

hirokazu

Kagari said:
Act 5:

What does Mantis say if you don't have a DualShock 3? And are there anything else he comments on, like if you have a memory card adapter or not?
I don't think he says anything different if you have a memory card adaptor because the context was PS3 save files, rather than solely having memory cards. If you have a DualShock3, he says "Vibration is back!" while pictures of a white DS3 flash on-screen. Curiously, Kojima Productions seems to refer to it as "rumble" like Nintendo does, but they probably have to call it "vibration" during the game to fall in line with Sony.

Ooops, I misread your post, the other guy below has the answer :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom