• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
tha_con said:
Someone on another forum typed this up, and I found it fucking golden:

(edit)

Wow.
See things like this is what I don't get. People are delving way too deep into this shit and then complain that Kojima didn't have the foresight to deal with it.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Kagari said:
Act 5:

What does Mantis say if you don't have a DualShock 3? And are there anything else he comments on, like if you have a memory card adapter or not?

He says something along the lines of "What no rumble!?". Not sure about the adapter.

avcables

Banned
NME said:
Acronym stuff:

The elements of
JD (John Doe) are the Presidents appearing on Mount Rushmore:

GW - George Washington, as mentioned
AL - Abraham Lincoln
TJ - Thomas Jefferson
TR - Teddy Roosevelt

They actually directly address this at some point in the game.

I searched and didn't find if this was posted in this thread yet. But I tried entering those names in the "password" section under the extras menu. Each one of them nets you a song for your in-game iPod. Enter "george", "abraham", "thomas", and "theodore". Again, I didn't see this being posted in this thread but I could've missed it.

Crayon

7.4 for ZoE2 is a load of crap, especuially in the time it released. At the time of release it was one of the finest games made, period. Still near the top of many people's lists including mine.

edit: I'm not saying it should have a particular number. Just the idea that it's not a standout game is grounds for a fistfight.

Maaseru

Banned
Did the 3rd person camera change MGS4 for you as much as me. No I don't mean for auto lock(although it help in the crowded battles), but I just noticed I rarely played in 1st person, except when under stuff which makes it the only option.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
John Harker said:
say, how do you turn the OctoCamo back to normal during cut scenes?
Shake the controller.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
tha_con said:

am curious about Liquid Snake's apparent artificial arm with the organic hand.

If Ocelot had to hide from the Patriot AI, he'd need three things.
False DNA
False Biometric signature
False brain wave pattern. These are the three things that make up an ID to the AI system.
Simply not having nanos would not allow him to access SOP. He needs nanos, but they cannot be attached to his own body. He would access nanos through a proxy(his robotic arm), while the nanos were stored within an organic extension(Liquid's hand).

time to explain:

Now, Ocelot could have simply ridded himself of Nanomachines, but that would have raised suspicion in the AI and also had disconnected him from SOP. That doesn't help him. He must have a way to connect to the AI.

But..he could still use nanomachines if he quarantined them to Liquid Snake's arm. This was done by creating a device to sustain his arm while masking his own DNA. A proxy. A proxy is used by a computer accessing a server, through another server, to keep it anonymous. The robotic arm was the proxy. It kept Liquid's hand alive through technology, but prevented the mingling of Ocelot's DNA or Nanomachines with that of Liquid Snake's, which were quarantined within his hand. Essentially, his hand was registered as a living person, while Ocelot himself remained anonymous.

So Liquid Snake's arm contained his nanomachines, DNA, Biometric Signature, and through wiring, it used Ocelot's brain waves to keep it alive, give it movement, and also complete the SOP ID that Ocelot now used. The psychotherapy reshaped his brainwaves to match the data recorded in Liquid's nanomachines, turning him into Liquid Snake's memetic doppleganger. This also allows Ocelot to NOT contain 4th gen Nanomachines in his own body, protecting him from the effects of the SOP withdrawl and removing him from having to register himself using 4th gen nanomachines. This hid him away.

So when this person(Liquid Ocelot) registered with the Patriot AI, it wasn't a person they are monitoring. It was not a threat. It was most likely not identified as Liquid died before the system was put in order. The interesting thing is that this turned Liquid Snake's right arm into a controller for SOP once he took the system. When he aimed and fired with that magic arm, he literally sent administrative commands through his arm and into SOP, ordering his soldiers to fire. His brain made the command and the system recognized the signature expressed through Liquid's hand and it was sent through his arm into the system, and delivered to the soldiers through GW.

That arm itself was a proxy server between himself, GW, SOP, and the soldiers now connected to it.

Wow.

God bless TZ :)

1stStrike

Banned
On the boss extreme, I started with 50 shots for the tranq pistol and sniper rifle and the shotgun (the double barrel shotgun and the semi-auto shotgun can swap to the vring ammo for non-lethal attacks. same with the 40mm grenade launcher which goes to stun grenades).

You need to conserve your ammo a bit. Which means, you can't tranq everyone on a map. Also, when I was down to about 20 shots in any of my non-lethal weapons I would stop using it until I found more ammo (there's several spots in act 1 and 2 to get more ammo) and either switch out or go cqc on their asses.

On extreme don't waste your tranqs on the beast form of bosses. You're gonna need those later. Since the beast form doesn't count as a kill, it's cool (if you're worried about the statues..well you can always get them on an easy run).

Here's a general summary of how I got through each act and how I fought the bosses, which you can elect to read should you so wish. Remember, this is a summary, not a step by step guide. I'm not writing a book here :p However, if there's anything in specific you want more details on, feel free to ask.

ACT 1

The first part of this act, you don't have the tranq pistol so you need to get through here this old fashioned way without being discovered. It's pretty easy. Just use some caution and stick to the high ground to avoid the soldiers patrolling the streets and the rooms.

Once you get the tranq pistol, you want to help out the militia as much as possible so they'll get that warm and fuzzy feeling inside. It's hard to get them to warm up to you at first, even blowing up the vehicle. I also found firing a rocket launcher would get me an alert regardless of where I was because of this..so I just snuck up to the vehicle, placed some C4 and then blew it after I high tailed it out of there.

The safe house is pretty straight forward. Some of the guards will still be red. Make sure you use the solid eye, hit L1 and point your gun at them to see if they're friendly or not. If they're not, they'll have a red patch of color next to their name. If those guys see you, then you get an alert.

After this, you go through some rubble and such and then run into Johnny for the first time. This part of the game can be easy or hard. Be careful around the militia as some of them could still be negative towards you. I find the best route is to go around back, up the alley where the snipers are shooting, slip around back, go through the building where the snipers are at (in one window and out the other) then shimmy around until I get to the militia and PMC's duking it out before slipping into the building.

The first frogs fight involves lots of stun and smoke grenades with some tranqs as you can get them off. These guys aren't very forgiving and at times, Meryl's team can be a greater threat then the frogs because of some of the stupid shit they tend to do. Just keep low and try to take out as many as possible while letting Meryl's team stay up front and take all the hits. Johnny will keep supplying you with stun grenades throughout.

ACT 2

There's several ways to tackle this, but I went with the most direct route and tranq'd all the guards so the militia could get free, then stayed in their footsteps while I made my way through. They keep the PMC's busy so they're less likely to notice you.

I found the sneaking portion of this to be really easy. I had no problems getting right up to the mansion. At the generator, you just need to stay low and crawl your ass from one side to the other and then let the militia blow up the generator (you have the option to keep going to, but helping them out helps you out).

LIQUID OCTOPUS

This fight takes on a whole new level of challenge on the boss extreme. Her "roll of death" as I like to call it is pretty much a one shot kill. The best way I've found to fight her is to setup claymores outside of the little room that you can crawl into. Lure her there and she'll keep blowing her ass up. Then, unload on her with the M28A2 or the rail gun as needed. Also, when she poses as an enemy soldier, make sure you check for the ZzZz's coming out of them (turn off night vision) so you don't accidentally kill the wrong one. Night vision is your friend in this battle.

Now, while hunting down Naomi..this part is pretty simple even on extreme. You can almost run through the first section. The second section, just use a little stealth and you'll have no problem getting past the frogs. Lastly, get your happy ass down into the mine shaft and avoid all the guards around there on the 3rd part and you're in.

On-rails chase scene

They give you unlimited stun/chaff grenades here so go crazy. The power suits count as kills, so keep them chaffed. I'm pretty sure the stun grenades really don't do anything to the zombie soldiers, so I just avoid their gun fire and ran back and forth to avoid their grenades.

When you finally get to the end and Raiden shows up, just gun it for the end and try not to get hit. 1 hit from any of the geckos and you're dead.

ACT 3

Follow the guy as necessary and make sure you tranq the guards he comes across so he doesn't get captured. Otherwise, no need to tranq anyone else. Also, in the park, make sure you take out the two guards blocking his path while he's taking a piss. Otherwise, he does something you really don't need him to be doing on extreme mode in order to get by them.

The motorcycle chase scene in this chapter is a major obstacle. This is where you're going to prove your dedication to the boss. Your weapons of choice are the tranq pistol, double barrel shotgun with vrings and stun grenades. When you get to any of the guys behind turrets, swap to auto-aim and use that to take them out. So much of their bodies are hidden and you're shaking around so much, it's hard to get a clean shot off. And time is of the essence as you can't take many hits. The last part of the chase involves 2 - 5 frogs at a time shooting at you. Just keep using stun grenades on them.

RAGING RAVEN

Do as much damage to raven as you can during the motorcycle fight, as it all counts in this fight and makes it easier for you. I used a surface to air missile launcher and rpg-7 to take her out. She really wasn't overly difficult.

ACT 4

Ah, shadow mosses. So many memories. This act is really straight forward. Just sneak past all the robots and the geckos in the beginning and make your way to the nuclear storage facility. Go down to where you first met otacon and enjoy all the odes to the past. Fun tip: If you input certain numbers you'll get different songs for your ipod. However, you can only get one song per play through.

The gecko that shows up is easy. Either use the MK II to electrocute it or just sneak past it. When the next one comes up the elevator, just one shot it with the rail gun.

CRYING WOLF

Tranq the frogs in front of you and then run up on the right side to her position, pop off a couple shots with a sniper rifle (or shoot a lvl 3 rail gun into her head for awesome damage) and then stalk her as she moves throughout the map. You also want to have the 40mm grenade launcher equipped too just in case she tries to ram you. One shot from that will put her on your side and save your ass. Just keep following her and blast her in the head as she exposes herself until you defeat her.

VAMP

He's a bit more challenging on this difficulty. There's a cache of 40mm stun grenades in the back. Exactly 5. And exactly 5 is enough to knock him out once. When you knock him out, equip the syringe and wait behind him until he gets up, then cqc grab him and press triangle to eject the syringe to end the fight.

REX VS RAY

The way I found that worked best in this fight is to lure ray to you, then blast him with a lvl 5 laser. After he falls on his ass, get close and mash triangle to do a metal gear version of cqc and whoop some ass. If he completely exposes himself, blast hm with a bunch of missiles and use the machine gun as necessary.

ACT 5

A lot of people struggle with this act. Just put on the face mask camo to get your stealth index up to 99. Tranq the two frogs near you in the beginning, then go up the ladder to the right. Go up again, use the bar to go across to the other balcony. Drop down and mas triangle to catch yourself. Repeat. Then, when you hit the ground lay down and crawl on your belly to the next ladder. Repeat the above steps. Crawl on over to the right and shimmy your way through the crack between the crates, stomach crawl your way in a bit, tranq the 4 frogs in the area. Then, wait for the geckos to turn their backs before making your way to the door, mashing triangle and getting inside.

This fight with the geckos is pretty straight forward. Knock em all out and then get ready for...

SCREAMING MANTIS

AHHHH..just kidding. You need to be aggressive in this battle or she will dominate your ass. Literally. I just used the M4 and whenever she stopped would pop off a few shots to hit her doll. Use the tranq pistol whenever she blocks your view with meryl or a guard. Once she drops the mantis doll, pick it up, equip it and then blast her with it. Hold L1 and shake your controller to smack the shit out of her and win the battle.

HALLWAY OF DOOM

For a fun ending, equip the barrel and do a barrel roll (lawl) through the robots in the hallway. You could throw a chaff grenade or use the grenade launcher to beat their asses, but they keep coming anyway. The barrel roll is just more fun too.

FINAL BOSS FIGHT....

LIQUID

Avoid his dash as much as possible. You really need to conserve your HP for the 3rd fight, so getting hit as little as possible in the first two is really important. This part is fairly easy if your timing is right. Just avoid his dash, then either do a combo to knock him out or hold L1 and cqc him till he turns into...

LIQUID OCELOT

I like to call his punch in this part the bullet punch. He does massive damage with that attack, so avoid it at all costs. Try to lure him in to use it and just keep dodging to the left or right and cqc him or just combo him to knock him out until he does his timeless pose and becomes...

OCELOT

This part is extremely tough (at least for me) on the boss extreme difficulty. If he chokes you out, you're guaranteed to lose about half your health before he lets go. Also, the head butt of his does massive damage.

Try to lure him in and get him to try to grab you or punch you. Dodge, duck, block, do whatever you need to do, but either immediately return with a cqc grab or a combo. You can even try to fend him off with just combos if you time it right. Once he's down to about 1 bar of life snake and himself will knock each other out and go for a final showdown.

Note: It's still possible to die here. There's no HP bars showing anymore, but I missed a punch once and next thing I know I'm at the continue screen. I was just lilke...NOOOOO. So beware.

Congrats! You beat the game! Now, skip all the final cut scenes as they count towards your game time. After that, hopefully you didn't fuck up like I did and get 1 kill in the mantis fight and end up having to redo all of act 5.

Phew, that was a lot to type out.

1stStrike

Banned
BlueSummers said:
Can anyone tell me how to collect all the statues in the game and where they are at? Thanks!

Tranq both forms of the bosses (beast and the beauty) and the statues will be in the are you fight them at. The first one is
in the garage area after meryl and her team fend off the wave of frogs once you finish the first fight against them

1stStrike said:
Tranq both forms of the bosses (beast and the beauty) and the statues will be in the are you fight them at. The first one is
in the garage area after meryl and her team fend off the wave of frogs once you finish the first fight against them

ahh ok, thanks.

BlueSummers said:
Can anyone tell me how to collect all the statues in the game and where they are at? Thanks!

Mega-spoilers:

Defeat all bosses (Beast) with non-lethal weapons. Once you do it and once they shed their armor (and become Beauty), look around the map for the statues before you finish them off.

FROGS Battle: Mosin-Nagant and MK22 - Statue in Garage
Laughing Octopus: Shotgun w/ non-lethal bullets - Statue over a bed
Raging Raven: Shotgun w/ non-lethal bullets - Statue on top-floor
Crying Wolf: Mosin-Nagant - Turn 180 degrees and few steps away you'll see it
Screaming Mantis: No specification. Killing her with Doll is the only way. - Statue is outside the door at North end.

tha_con said:

Interesting, but who said that
he still has an organic right hand?

The nanomachines travel through the blood stream, and you'd think it would be fairly simple for them to detect the circulation pattern of being confined to, say, a hand. And that's ignoring any other recirculatory elements.

More to the point...he had GW reprogrammed. Allowing himself through the back door should have been relatively simple.

Cool idea though.

Lifeonmars? said:
Wait, so killing the bosses don't count as a kill in the end act/game count?

Not the first half, but if you kill the beast, you can't find the statue when the beauty is chasing you around.

Orlics

tha_con said:
I looked for a while and could never see this mystery person...gah

I was only able to catch him once. I don't think it's an actual AI NPC that follows you around, it's just an animated, static object that peeks around corners behind you.

tha_con said:
I looked for a while and could never see this mystery person...gah

Weird.
I see him countless amount of times. I even timed his appearance to the fact that i've shot it. It vanishes immediately if you shoot it :p That said, he shows up if you backtrack, not by just looking behind, usually in the initial sections of that Act. Infact, he shows up when you pass over or trigger a certain area. Here are the most obvious locations:

1. When you first encounter a PMC. Shoot him. Cross the road and shoot the next PMC. Remember that? Good. Go close to the body of next PMC and start backtracking to the body of first PMC. You will see him/it peaking from the corner.

2. The Park

3. The bridge/ramp. The Resistance member goes to the left and then climbs up. Try going to the right all the way until you can see the stairs on your left. Look back and backtrack. You'll see him/it peaking from the edge of the ramp

I tried using the words him and it incase you don't know who/what him/it is :)

If you don't,
It's basically 3 dwarf gekkos wearing a trenchoat

No_Style

John Harker said:
say, how do you turn the OctoCamo back to normal during cut scenes?

Side to side not up and down BTW. I was wondering why it wasn't working, but it's actually specific to how you shake the controller. A nice touch.

Orlics said:
I was only able to catch him once. I don't think it's an actual AI NPC that follows you around, it's just an animated, static object that peeks around corners behind you.

People do realize that it's the three unmanned sentries in the hat and jacket, right?

Orlics

MoonsaultSlayer said:
People do realize that it's the three unmanned sentries in the hat and jacket, right?

Yup, but I haven't seen it actually "walk" and follow you around. I saw it behind a bush repeating a crappy animation.

Strider2K99 said:
So, I've been wondering... what's that kanji or whatever on Snake's vest?

The kanji-like symbol on Snake's vest is called an Otakon (オタ魂), which is a portmanteau of Otacon's name with the kanji character (kon or tamashii) for spirit; beneath it is the phrase "to let the world be"

Funny how i copy/paste your question in google :lol

AKS

shagg_187 said:
Mega-spoilers:

Defeat all bosses (Beast) with non-lethal weapons. Once you do it and once they shed their armor (and become Beauty), look around the map for the statues before you finish them off.

FROGS Battle: Mosin-Nagant and MK22 - Statue in Garage
Laughing Octopus: Shotgun w/ non-lethal bullets - Statue over a bed
Raging Raven: Shotgun w/ non-lethal bullets - Statue on top-floor
Crying Wolf: Mosin-Nagant - Turn 180 degrees and few steps away you'll see it
Screaming Mantis: No specification. Killing her with Doll is the only way. - Statue is outside the door at North end.

Oh crap, I have to do this over again. Finished her off already. Doh!

Question:
At the end of MGS2 after the credits, during Snake and Otacon's convo, it's revealed that the patriots have been dead for 100 years. Was that just false information...or what? It's never addressed (as far as I remember)

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
FUCK THE LAST FIGHT, FUCK IT RIGHT IN THE ASS, its friggen impossible on hard, i got into the 3rd phase with 4/5 of a bar of health and still cant do shit wtf!!!!! i know what im supposed to do but its fucking impossible.

AlphaTwo00 said:
Nope. None of it is carrying over. Not the camera, none of the camo stuff. Am I doing something wrong?

You have to make sure you load the end save file, and it should immediately prompt you to choose a new difficulty as if you just chose new game. If it doesn't do that then something is wrong. Start over again and see if it works (it happened to me too my first time...I don't know what I did to mess it up all I can say is I reloaded and got to the checkpoint a second time and it worked).

ThirstyFly said:
Wait, you can use non-lethal bullets with a shotgun? I finished the game and never noticed that at all. How do you change bullets?

I didn't realize this either since I never bought a shotgun...didn't seem like an appropriate weapon for a stealth game for me, but it's proving to be quite useful for the action intense sections of my no-kill runs on the harder difficulties.

Open the weapon menu with R2 and have the weapon you want to change ammo selected, and you press O (or square...or triangle...I forgot. But just try the face buttons and you should figure it out)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
AlphaTwo00 said:
Nope. None of it is carrying over. Not the camera, none of the camo stuff. Am I doing something wrong?

Even after meeting the MKII? weird. Check to see if you are using the same save as your finished game.

neojubei said:
Even after meeting the MKII? weird. Check to see if you are using the same save as your finished game.

Yes, make sure there is a star with a 1 (or something like that) on the save file. It's to show the save file is a continuation of a previous game completion.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
AlphaTwo00 said:
Question: I just beat the game. But when I load the same game to start a new play, doesn't the items carry over?

You have to continue the game, so load your existing file, it should then load up a new game. You cant change difficulty level and expect to have all your items brought over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom