• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

I'm not sure if this got answered but if Naomi and
basically everyone were under the constant surveillance of the Patriots, hence being the reason why they had to start this whole war as a means to fool the AI, how was Naomi able to get away with recording the video that she embeds into the virus to execute after it uploads? She states her real intentions right there in plain sight. Wouldn't the Patriots AI have picked up on her recording that? This is the one thing that still makes me go 'wtf'.

Or even when Mk. II is sending a signal of Ocelot, Vamp, and Naomi talking about their plans to Otacon and Snake until Vamp discovers it and disables it.

Also, what year can we assume as the one where real people stopped running the Patriots and AI's did instead?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
FUCK THE LAST FIGHT, FUCK IT RIGHT IN THE ASS, its friggen impossible on hard, i got into the 3rd phase with 4/5 of a bar of health and still cant do shit wtf!!!!! i know what im supposed to do but its fucking impossible.

I used (x) alot to duck when anticipating him attacking, then followed up with a gut punch and spammed it so he couldnt recover on the first 2 parts of the fight.
Took me awhile on hard to get the timing down on the 3rd, but I basically did the same thing.

ANYONE do a FPS run yet?
Play the game solely in FP view?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
FUCK THE LAST FIGHT, FUCK IT RIGHT IN THE ASS, its friggen impossible on hard, i got into the 3rd phase with 4/5 of a bar of health and still cant do shit wtf!!!!! i know what im supposed to do but its fucking impossible.

When the enemy does a special taunt, press X repeatedly to gain more health (either X or triangle, cant remember which).

eso76

Onix said:
My god yes!!!!

I was thinking the exact same thing last night.

i dont' think mgs3 needs a remake; there's not a huge diff. between mgs3 and mgs4 in terms of graphics and gameplay; and i don't think a lot of people really want a mgs2 remake.
But mgs1 could definately use a remake, and considering
most assets have been redrawn/remodeled for act 4 that should be quite simple; could come as a -huge, for all dialogues and stuff- downloadable add on for mgs4.
Speaking of act 4, has no one noticed the crashed hind-d at the foot of the eastern communication tower ? nice touch.

What we really need though, is a MG2:SS remake; it's true that most mgs are in fact partial remakes of previous chapters (Kojima's best ideas and sequences from mg1 and 2 were carried over to mgs1-4 and perfected already) but the game deserves larger audience and the story, which was already very good, could be fleshed out more.

kuYuri

WTF is this shit USPS? I ordered the MGS4 LE guide from buy.com back on the 9th and I still haven't received it.

According to tracking, it was received in Illinois on the 14th, then the next thing I see is that it's in Arizona as of the 20th. It's going in the opposite direction, as I live in New York. o_O

MisterAnderson said:
I didn't realize this either since I never bought a shotgun...didn't seem like an appropriate weapon for a stealth game for me, but it's proving to be quite useful for the action intense sections of my no-kill runs on the harder difficulties.

Open the weapon menu with R2 and have the weapon you want to change ammo selected, and you press O (or square...or triangle...I forgot. But just try the face buttons and you should figure it out)

Awesome, thanks. I actually found two different shotguns that didn't have ID locks in my first play though and just used them to see what they were like. Now that I know I can use them stun bosses, I won't have to rely on handguns + stun knife like I was planning when I start my no-kill run tomorrow.

1stStrike

Banned

I beat it on the boss extreme. It took me about 2 - 3 hours. I lost track. You eventually figure everything out, but even knowing that he randomly does some crazy shit and will take away half your life and you're like..god damnit! I needed that!

The only way I could get through the 3rd stage, even with 3/4 of a health bar was to play defensively, lure him in to try a grab and then jump to the side and unleash some combos.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I had a mini meltdown about this a few pages back.

jett

D-Member
I just finished this game.

:lol :lol :lol

I cannot believe THAT just happened. I also don't understand why there isn't a huge backlash against this game on this forum. What a mess of a storyline.

MGS3 iwas orders of magnitude better than this.

edit: and oh yeah, no classic MGS theme. Not like I care anymore.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Just finished watching the epilogue.

Very sweet ending, even though I'm still confused about certain things.

What a ride.

jett said:

I cannot believe THAT just happened. I also don't understand why there isn't a huge backlash against this game on this forum. What a mess of a storyline.

What? Why the backlash. I thought they closed everything up and didn't leave any loose ends. Also the classic MGS theme is there.

Ok, I have to wonder..... Given that there are HD capture cards and there are Blu-Ray burners, is anyone here going to try to make a movie form of this with all the cut scenes and maybe some of the key moments to help tie them together? I would certainly pay for some blanks for burns of that. I really wanna show my wife without her having to sit through the entire game since she seems interested in the story.

chespace said:
Just finished watching the epilogue.

Very sweet ending, even though I'm still confused about certain things.

What a ride.

If u want, i can answer some of your questions. I have been doing that for people for the past week.

Grayman

I'm starting act 3 no kill/alert on super easy mode. I probably should have done it on normal or harder since I am still getting dumb alerts in areas.

The Drebin points really add up fast with end of act bonuses while doing this.

Grayman

Marty Chinn said:
Ok, I have to wonder..... Given that there are HD capture cards and there are Blu-Ray burners, is anyone here going to try to make a movie form of this with all the cut scenes and maybe some of the key moments to help tie them together? I would certainly pay for some blanks for burns of that. I really wanna show my wife without her having to sit through the entire game since she seems interested in the story.
Well the story is most of the game. If someone just speed ran it the story is probably 3x as long as gameplay. I am sure that people will speed run the game but they will skip all the scenes for file size reasons and quite probably use the in game clock to time necessitating skipped scenes.

It would be a really big under taking to make MGS4 the movie.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
jett said:

"Mr. Negativity"

there's no backlash because the ending was PERFECT. Also, my personal advice to you is, even if you prefer to be viewed as a strongly opinionated individual, I'd recommend discretion instead of outrightly stating mgs4 had a mess of a storyline when clearly there is a very positive consensus on the narrative.

edit: also, what? the theme was in the game twice by my count.

Marty Chinn said:

Save the game at unique spots and then load em one by one :)

eso76 said:
i dont' think mgs3 needs a remake; there's not a huge diff. between mgs3 and mgs4 in terms of graphics and gameplay; and i don't think a lot of people really want a mgs2 remake.
But mgs1 could definately use a remake, and considering
most assets have been redrawn/remodeled for act 4 that should be quite simple; could come as a -huge, for all
It's been mentioned before, but I think I new found appreciation for MGS2 can be found after playing MGS4. I really don't see why there's so much hate for it in the first place, the Raiden thing is what 7 years old all ready, the game still stands up despite it's wonky story (which one of the reasons why I loved it).

shagg_187 said:
Save the game at unique spots and then load em one by one :)
I actually have a ton of save points but there are some cut scenes that you couldn't get a save before it and would have to sit through some time consuming gameplay. I would have to think someone is going to capture all the cut scenes and put them on a Blu-Ray. It makes perfect sense and the technology is already in the hands at a consumer level.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
The biggest problem with MGS2 was that Kojima was clearly throwing plot twists and random characters against the wall just to see what sticks.

For instance, I was going through the MGDB just now and read up on Solidus Snake, who remains one of my biggest problems with the series. And yup, even the official story behind Solidus is downright retarded. He's George Sears, a perfect clone of Big Boss, and the president of the U.S., under the control of the Patriots.

Later, he revolts against the Patriots (why again? because Shadow Moses Incident was a failure and he found out that Ocelot was working for the Patriots...? well, guess what, wasn't ol' George Sears also working with the patriots? So he wants to get to the Patriots by capturing GW which is on Big Shell which is actually Arsenal Gear. Oh, and back then, there were 12 names on the list of Patriots, except we find out those guys have all been dead for a hundred years or something.

So the ex-president of the United States, who is a perfect clone of Big Boss, puts on a Doc Octopus suit to fight Raiden, who he raised and trained as a child soldier -- a whiny VR-trained rookie at the time, btw -- AND DIES. The fuck? The perfect clone of Big Boss in a Doc Oct. power suit can't even kill the n00b son he raised?

Anyway, down with George Sears. Booooo...

Oh, and a question: So I finished the game and ranked a Bear in Solid Normal for my first playthrough (and also had a shitload of other animal symbols in the menu but only the Bear had a ribbon next to it), what should I play next? Hard or Extreme? And should I bother not playing these modes with a no-kill/no-alert run because it'd be too frustrating? What's a good balanced difficulty? I found Solid Normal to be really easy when it came to the normal soldiers.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
chespace said:
The biggest problem with MGS2 was that Kojima was clearly throwing plot twists and random characters against the wall just to see what sticks.

For instance, I was going through the MGDB just now and read up on Solidus Snake, who remains one of my biggest problems with the series. And yup, even the official story behind Solidus is downright retarded. He's George Sears, a perfect clone of Big Boss, and the president of the U.S., under the control of the Patriots.

Later, he revolts against the Patriots (why again? because Shadow Moses Incident was a failure and he found out that Ocelot was working for the Patriots...? well, guess what, wasn't ol' George Sears also working with the patriots? So he wants to get to the Patriots by capturing GW which is on Big Shell which is actually Arsenal Gear. Oh, and back then, there were 12 names on the list of Patriots, except we find out those guys have all been dead for a hundred years or something.

So the ex-president of the United States, who is a perfect clone of Big Boss, puts on a Doc Octopus suit to fight Raiden, who he raised and trained as a child soldier -- a whiny VR-trained rookie at the time, btw -- AND DIES. The fuck? The perfect clone of Big Boss in a Doc Oct. power suit can't even kill the n00b son he raised?

Maybe it was FoxDie that killed Solidus, or at least, weakened him to the point that Raiden was able to take him down? He did come in contact with Solid Snake after all.

Orlics

chespace said:

The 12 names were the founding members of the Philosophers. They were actual people, who really were dead by that time.

And I think you misunderstand how skilled Raiden truly was at that point. He was a child soldier so he had a natural aptitude for battle, he had endured Big Shell, and he had fought side-by-side with Solid Snake. He could probably have taken on Solid Snake himself and won at that point.

chespace said:

Er... did you get all this from a random post on the internet?

Raiden is not a exactly a "noob".

Mister Chef said:
Er... did you get all this from a random post on the internet?

Raiden is not a exactly a "noob".

He got it from the offically released Database. Solidus's story isnt very clear.

Che, he believe he turned on the patriots because he realized they had by that point abandoned Big Bosses legacy and will, not just that ocelot was a quadriple agent.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
chubigans said:
When the enemy does a special taunt, press X repeatedly to gain more health (either X or triangle, cant remember which).

For real? awesome will have to try that!

msdstc said:
I had a mini meltdown about this a few pages back.

Yer im not usually a control chucker but this sent me over the edge, lucky i got a box with packaing foam and stuff in it, i just pegged it at that, i wanted to throw it at my TV then punch a hole in the wall, got me that wound up!

gogogow

Solidus wanted to destroy the Patriots because he doesn't want to be a mere pawn.
He wanted to take back things from the Patriots, like freedom of speech, civil rights and oppurtunities. The Patriots had control over these things because of the digital censorship.

Solidus doesn't even know Ocelot worked for the Patriots (AFAIK).

Me thinks you need to play MGS2 again.

1stStrike

Banned
chespace said:
Oh, and a question: So I finished the game and ranked a Bear in Solid Normal for my first playthrough (and also had a shitload of other animal symbols in the menu but only the Bear had a ribbon next to it), what should I play next? Hard or Extreme? And should I bother not playing these modes with a no-kill/no-alert run because it'd be too frustrating? What's a good balanced difficulty? I found Solid Normal to be really easy when it came to the normal soldiers.

The first part of your post is a bit misguided so..not touching it.

As for your next play through..it's up to you. Extreme is seriously not fucking easy. But it's very doable. I would start at big boss hard first tbh. If you can get through that, then you can get through extreme.

1stStrike said:
The first part of your post is a bit misguided so..not touching it.

As for your next play through..it's up to you. Extreme is seriously not fucking easy. But it's very doable. I would start at big boss hard first tbh. If you can get through that, then you can get through extreme.

Indeed. Practice run it. save at every sheckpoint (remember, there can be checkpoints within a level, not just different areas) and prepare to reload a TON. Dont bother with not using health items during your boss hard run or its going to be even worse.

For real? awesome will have to try that!
If you're talking about the
Snake/Ocelot fight, then it's triangle. You hold it when Ocelot does either his fist pump or he folds his arms. The thing is though he gains health as well, but at a lower rate

When you knock him down, run
up to him as he gets up and prepare to grab him for some safe hits. If your sacred about your health, make dodging your priority and mash R1 when he is walking toward you. You may not hit him with your punches but the kick will proubably knock him down.

If I play Act 5 on a Sunday, will Drebin's shop be 70% off, or does it cap at 50%?

Also, does anyone have an avatar sized image of Shinkawa's depiction of Big Boss saluting The Boss' grave? Or the Outer Haven logo (a skull with a snake coming out of the mouth)?

Datrio

Quick question about Drebin.

Act 5:
At the start of act 5 Drebin does that jump (kinda like Snake's jump in MGS3 or in MGS2). Does this have any secret significance, or does that just mean that the Patriots told him everything about Snake's past?

1stStrike

Banned
Datrio said:
Quick question about Drebin.

Act 5:
At the start of act 5 Drebin does that jump (kinda like Snake's jump in MGS3 or in MGS2). Does this have any secret significance, or does that just mean that the Patriots told him everything about Snake's past?

I'm pretty sure it's just a throw back kojima put in there for MGS3 fans. Also, there's a point in the series where snake does the same pose, except without the actual jump.

le.phat

jett said:

too bad for you i guess. if you can't enjoy MGS4 for what it is you might aswell stop gaming if you ask me.

1stStrike

Banned
Strider2K99 said:
Is the track called Metal Gear Saga supposed to be the new MGS theme?

Probably. They play it in some of the strongest moments of the game. It's quite good too. I'm really enjoying this whole OST.

Jackl

One of the big problems with MGS2 I had was the "This may not even be real" subplot.

Which I honestly believe was a alpha test of SOP now. Using nano machine to play around with brain chemistry. Cept it wasn't so good, imperfect, too blunt. They drove Raiden to delusions more then they did to control him.

May also explain why he chose to become a cyborg. Filter your blood with synthetic. Get rid of the nanos.

But maybe I'm grasping at straws.

Jackl said:
One of the big problems with MGS2 I had was the "This may not even be real" subplot.

Which I honestly believe was a alpha test of SOP now. Using nano machine to play around with brain chemistry. Cept it wasn't so good, imperfect, too blunt. They drove Raiden to delusions more then they did to control him.

May also explain why he chose to become a cyborg. Filter your blood with synthetic. Get rid of the nanos.

That's quite a plausable way of thinking about it. He became obsessed with bein in control of his own self.

Barakov

Jackl said:

After reading the database on Raiden
didn't it say that he was captured, imprisoned at Area 51 and forced to become a cyborg or whatnot?

kitch9

Banned
Jesus, I'm half way through the game and I've just been sat watching what I thought was another awesome cut scene.

I press L1 by mistake and realise I should be shooting at shit and its actually in-game!!

This game is fucking astounding and every sense of the word, and the first true masterpiece in all my 20 years+ of gaming.

It makes everything else look shit, proper shit.

Why does Sunny refer to Snake as "Solidus" in the beginning?

"Solidus isn't here today?" or something to that effect.

I might be over analyzing that a bit.

effingvic said:
Why does Sunny refer to Snake as "Solidus" in the beginning?

"Solidus isn't here today?" or something to that effect.

I might be over analyzing that a bit.

She's referring to the three chickens they have in the Nomad - they are called 'Les Poulets Terribles', one is called Solid, one is called Liquid and the other is called Solidus. Solid and Liquid laid eggs that day, but Solidus took the day off.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom