• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the game last Thursday, loving it so far. Really enjoying how there's usually several different paths with completely different gameplay styles on each area.

Btw, I was under the impression that this game had custom soundtracks with the iPod but all I see are the songs that come with the game. Do I have to do something for it to work or it just doesn't support custom soundtracks? And where the hell is the MGS theme? :p

FabCam

Metalmurphy said:
Btw, I was under the impression that this game had custom soundtracks with the iPod but all I see are the songs that come with the game. Do I have to do something for it to work or it just doesn't support custom soundtracks? And where the hell is the MGS theme? :p

There are no custom sound tracks unfortunately. And they can't use the MGS theme due to some Russian copyright infringement.

Although the main 'Main Theme' we all know and love is not in the game, the MGS3 addition part of the theme, which was present, really added to the showdown between
Liquid Ocelot and Old Snake
... especially with this slower rendition of it.

With that said, I wouldn't have minded the 'Main Theme' during the final credits. ;/

FabCam said:
There are no custom sound tracks unfortunately. And they can't use the MGS theme due to some Russian copyright infringement.

With all the money already spent on the game, they should have just went out of their way and licensed the song anyway (if possible). Anyway, I do not know the behind-the-scenes politics, so I will assume they did try their best to retain the theme but failed. :)

Just completed the game. Had Saturday planned as a marathon for completing this.

What a ride. Shame to see it over.

Act 4 is probably the best thing Graphically ive ever seen. Especially the Fight which I then relized im actually controlling this.

The homages to the earlier games were a nice touch too. The music in the last fight, - lovely!

1stStrike

Banned
Rabid Wolverine said:
Just completed the game. Had Saturday planned as a marathon for completing this.

What a ride. Shame to see it over.

Act 4 is probably the best thing Graphically ive ever seen. Especially the Fight which I then relized im actually controlling this.

The homages to the earlier games were a nice touch too. The music in the last fight, - lovely!

Amazing right? But, it's not over! You still need to get all the emblems, weapons, special items and don't forget to do a the boss extreme run to get yourself the big boss emblem
if you're masochistic like the rest of us

And of course, MGO. It's fun, but kinda..quirky.

JB1981

I am not done with the game yet but this game represents basically everything I'd ever want from a videogame. It is like the complete gaming experience. Story, character development, gameplay, pathos - it just has it fucking ALL.

I actually find the game quite moving (and I've never found ANY MGS game moving). But this game has genuine power.

1stStrike

Banned
2real4tv said:
Iam getting my a** kicked on act 5

I and many other people posted tips and strats for getting through act 5. I think the most recent ones are a couple pages back.

It's really not hard. Have some patience and SNEAK. Don't go running through it. Put on the face mask for 99% camo and stick to the ladders and high ground until you get to the crates in the back. Slip through, tranq the frogs, wait for the geckos to walk away and then dash for the door, mash triangle and run out.

As for the boss fights..well I guess I'll just tell you now.
use the syringe at the beginning of the battle with mantis to break the effect of her strings. shoot the mantis doll out of her hands, grab it, equip it, blast her with it, hold L1 and shake your controller to beat her.

Anyone noticed that on Act 2
the rebels destroy the power plant by themselves
?

Gotta love the details ^^. Took me a while to figure out what that was for too :lol

jett said:
MGS3 iwas orders of magnitude better than this.

Nope it's still the worst part of the series. It's THE MGS for people...who don't really like MGS. After the MGS2 backlash Kojima played it very, very safe. That's why MGS3 ended up like it did - as a failure.

MGS4 plays in another league.

dermannmitdemcolt said:
Nope it's still the worst part of the series. It's THE MGS for people...who don't really like MGS. After the MGS2 backlash Kojima played it very, very safe. That's why MGS3 ended up like it did - as a failure.

....... Wow.

1stStrike said:
Amazing right? But, it's not over! You still need to get all the emblems, weapons, special items and don't forget to do a the boss extreme run to get yourself the big boss emblem
if you're masochistic like the rest of us

And of course, MGO. It's fun, but kinda..quirky.

Gonna replay the previous games then tackle it again for the special items. Snaker Eater, Twin Snakes, Sons Of Liberty, Sons Of The Patriots.

MGO ill crack at later. Got the US version on a Aussie Pal console, hope the lag isnt too bad.

Iam getting my a** kicked on act 5

Grenade Launcher is your friend.
Grenade the first 5 in the middle, fight your way to the left side of the end switching between grenade launchers for multiple enemies and automatic weapons for single, equipped in full Camo and hide, once the action dies down tranq the soldiers carefully, go through the door. Forget about the Gekos.

Baryn

Banned
I will very seriously pay $30 if someone starts making Blu-rays of MGS4's cutscenes.

edit: Also, what happens if a Beauty catches you?

Damn, I love that cutscene near the end
with Meryl and Johnny.
>_>

Seiken said:
Kojima said there won't be another version of MGS4. He seemed pretty serious about it.
Well Kojima is a right goddamn liar, so you can be safe in knowing that that's completely untrue. If K-man says something, the opposite will probably happen.

lame dude who I don't like said:

Pretty much complete nonsense, bro. Unless you consider amazing gameplay, sound, graphics, etc. (all improved by MGS4, but all much better than the first two) to be the antithesis of what makes a good Metal Gear game. Story, I can totally see complaints there, although I really like MGS3's a lot and I think it tops MGS4 in a few ways (mainly pacing and main character development) but whatevs.

The horrid story of MGS2 is what forces MGS4 to be kind of nonsensical and weird and overreaching to cover up all those plotholes. For the most part, it does it really well, well enough for me to forgive it for that stuff, but I can imagine the pacing and storytelling being much-relieved here if they didn't have to pick up from and explain away the 2nd game.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Rabid Wolverine said:
Grenade Launcher is your friend.
Grenade the first 5 in the middle, fight your way to the left side of the end switching between grenade launchers for multiple enemies and automatic weapons for single, equipped in full Camo and hide, once the action dies down tranq the soldiers carefully, go through the door. Forget about the Gekos.

Hah, no way...it's all about stealth in that mission. Probably my favorite mission.

Darkpen

Banned
Datrio said:
Quick question about Drebin.

Act 5:
At the start of act 5 Drebin does that jump (kinda like Snake's jump in MGS3 or in MGS2). Does this have any secret significance, or does that just mean that the Patriots told him everything about Snake's past?
Snake does it himself at the final battle. But like it was said, its most likely a throwback joke/hint/harhar sort of thing.

Darkpen

Banned
Going through the game a second time on Hard, I can't help but feel empathy and sadness whenever someone dies, when I tried to "save" them by tranqing, only for their bodies to be shot as they're falling, or for a militiaman to throw a grenade, or for some random artillery fire to kill the body :(

Especially the FROGs.

Which is why I mainly use CQC, tranqs, and shocks.

Does anyone else feel that way? I mean, it makes the game harder, and its something you have to do regardless for the higher ranked scores, but still.

But on the other hand, its not like I can tranq all of them. Makes me a little sad, especially during the cutscenes.

I'd also like to note that this is a distinct contrast and difference in how I used to treat soldiers, especially in VR missions in MGS2:S, or MGS2 in general. I used to torture the hell out of them.

Which, in turn, reminds me of how people were initially playing GTA4, and trying to play by the rules, and not be a crazy killer.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
FINISHED IT!

The advice helped a bit but the main thing that did it was the booze, did it on my second try this time, awesome stuff.

Did a OH SNAP during the ending, AMAZING GAME1!!!!!!!111

Raist

Banned
Baryn said:
I will very seriously pay $30 if someone starts making Blu-rays of MGS4's cutscenes.

edit: Also, what happens if a Beauty catches you?

They hug you tenderly. And it draws your life :p

icarus-daedelus said:
Pretty much complete nonsense, bro. Unless you consider amazing gameplay, sound, graphics, etc. (all improved by MGS4, but all much better than the first two) to be the antithesis of what makes a good Metal Gear game.

Amazing Gameplay...well, a game that FORCES the player to spend A LOT of time in menus, does something fundamentally wrong. Especially in this Genre. On top of that, the camera in the original Version of the game was a joke and the controls a step back from MGS2 (D-Pad Sneaking, the unnessecary and overpowered CQC Moves). There were a lot of great ideas, but the execution was often terrible.

Story, I can totally see complaints there, although I really like MGS3's a lot and I think it tops MGS4 in a few ways (mainly pacing and main character development) but whatevs.

There was no character development except for the last 3-5 hours. Which were awesome and almost redeemed the entire game. Almost.

elbkhm

So, a couple of questions about the plot:
1) Didn't Snake kill Dr. Madnar in Metal Gear 2? I can understand the series' love for surprise resurrections, but they don't even mention it here. In MG2 he dies, and in MGS4 they sort of mention that he's still alive as a sidenote. wtf?

2) What was Ocelot doing throughout MGS1 and MGS2? In MGS1 he was pretending to work for Liquid, betraying Liquid to Solidus, while actually working for the Patriots (who he was actually trying to destroy from the inside?). WHY?

3) How did pretending to be Liquid actually help Ocelot fool the Patriots? Why couldn't Ocelot just have "gone rogue"?

Formless

I'm not enjoying the story nearly as much as I did MGS2's. I do understand that the bosses have less personality for a reason, and Kojima's cutting down on those philosophical/historical cutscenes, but I actually really liked those. The lack of
More Codec frequencies, Nastasha Romenenko, and development of Vamp makes me a sad panda, hopefully there's more after the Crying Wolf fight

Still, it's a great story.
That scene with EVA in the church was nice and subtle

Blunty

OK, a couple of questions about Raiden. When he turns up in act 5 he has no arms, I thought he only lost the one in act 4, what happened?

And more importantly, how come he isn't a cyborg anymore in the ending sequence?

KdoubleA

Blunty said:
OK, a couple of questions about Raiden. When he turns up in act 5 he has no arms, I thought he only lost the one in act 4, what happened?

And more importantly, how come he isn't a cyborg anymore in the ending sequence?

I guess he lost the other arm, or it had to be amputated, when he was crushed trying to save Snake. Since he's a cyborg, I guess he got replacement limbs...that's why you see him fully "repaired" in the ending scene (you can obviously see the surgical line all around his body).

FabCam

Doc Evils said:
OMG has anyone seen this? so fucking awesome, basically act 4 and MGS 1 being played the same way. spoilers abound.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35399.html

That was my favourite scene in the game.
When you play the MGS1 section then as it fades into view through the snow. I was just standing around and looking. I also love that they put chaff in the middle of the heli pad just like in MGS1.

dermannmitdemcolt said:
Amazing Gameplay...well, a game that FORCES the player to spend A LOT of time in menus, does something fundamentally wrong. Especially in this Genre. On top of that, the camera in the original Version of the game was a joke and the controls a step back from MGS2 (D-Pad Sneaking, the unnessecary and overpowered CQC Moves). There were a lot of great ideas, but the execution was often terrible.
D-pad sneaking? What? Sneaking was the same as MGS4 - you pressed lightly on the left stick. Also, CQC was pretty much exactly the same in 3 and 4, so if you didn't like it (which is crazy) in 3, I can't see how 4 does it any better. The camera is fine in both versions, I think, although most seem to think I'm nuts on that point; the original camera actually forces you to slow down and seriously survey your environment, which is a Good Thing in my book. But hey, I like that shit.

As far as the menus go, I never really got that complaint, because it's a much slower paced game than any other in the series presuming you don't rambo your way through, in which case you wouldn't even need to change camos or whatever else takes you so long in the menus. And how is that different from having to change your weapons all the time in MGS4, which is really not conducive to action-oriented playing (which is a more realistic prospect in 4 than 3, honestly)?

There was no character development except for the last 3-5 hours. Which were awesome and almost redeemed the entire game. Almost.
The character development early on and midway through (obviously not that of bosses that I couldn't care less about) is what makes the stuff in the last 3-5 hours. I dunno how you could really give a shit about what happens to The Boss, or Ocelot, or Eva, or Big Boss, without the first 2/3s of the game.

Does anyone have any advice for me, about
avoiding alert phases on the small black three-legged robots in Shadow Moses? I'm currently in the foundry, and it's difficult trying to avoid being spotted. I have only one chaff grenade left, and I want to keep it for later on where there's like an entire army of them. What's the best way of dealing with them?

djkimothy

Zedsdeadbaby said:
Does anyone have any advice for me, about
avoiding alert phases on the small black three-legged robots in Shadow Moses? I'm currently in the foundry, and it's difficult trying to avoid being spotted. I have only one chaff grenade left, and I want to keep it for later on where there's like an entire army of them. What's the best way of dealing with them?

Chaff grenades, lure them with empty magazines and avoid the lasers.

Dr.Hadji

jett said:
I cannot believe THAT just happened. I also don't understand why there isn't a huge backlash against this game on this forum. What a mess of a storyline.

That ending, more that anything, felt so much like fanfic to me. It had that distinct quality of having to write while being hampered or trapped by something. With fanfics, the writers don't control the source of the fiction, so when they branch off and try to flesh out minor elements (or what they feel should be important themes/characters/story acrs) there is this feeling of incongruity. With MGS4, Kojima was trapped by the 20 year history of MG(S) (something Toasty Frog mentioned in his review on 1UP). And that ending felt like he forcefully made a cohesive conclusion of many incongruous parts. Sure they answered questions, but with some of the answers, they should have just kept them a mystery.

That ending was mess.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
gogogow said:
Solidus wanted to destroy the Patriots because he doesn't want to be a mere pawn.
He wanted to take back things from the Patriots, like freedom of speech, civil rights and oppurtunities. The Patriots had control over these things because of the digital censorship.

Solidus doesn't even know Ocelot worked for the Patriots (AFAIK).

Me thinks you need to play MGS2 again.

Solidus did know that Ocelot was working for the Patriots, according to the MGDB.

Anyways, I don't know why but it just strikes me as ridiculous that an ex-president of the U.S. is the perfect genetic clone of Big Boss and was not only a super soldier himself, but one who was rearing a child-soldier from a foreign conflict. I know there are probably more ridiculous things in the MGS saga, but this one I just can't forgive, personally.

It would be awesome to see Jimmy Carter in a Doc Oct. powersuit.

Also, MGS2 nevar forget:

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/19210

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
elbkhm said:
So, a couple of questions about the plot:
1) Didn't Snake kill Dr. Madnar in Metal Gear 2? I can understand the series' love for surprise resurrections, but they don't even mention it here. In MG2 he dies, and in MGS4 they sort of mention that he's still alive as a sidenote. wtf?

2) What was Ocelot doing throughout MGS1 and MGS2? In MGS1 he was pretending to work for Liquid, betraying Liquid to Solidus, while actually working for the Patriots (who he was actually trying to destroy from the inside?). WHY?

3) How did pretending to be Liquid actually help Ocelot fool the Patriots? Why couldn't Ocelot just have "gone rogue"?

The database don't mention that Snake killed him in Metal Gear 2.

Your second question has been nagging at me since I finished the game. Trying to piece together Ocelot's intentions in MGS and MGS2 almost seems impossible. Even before Metal Gear, he was already working against the Patriots with Big Boss, until Snake defeated him. After that he was working with Eva to retrieve Big Boss's body. If Liquid and Solidus both wanted to create an "Outer Heaven" like Big Boss and Solidus even wanted to take down the Patriots as well, why did Ocelot use them and throw them away?

As for your third one, I think someone in this thread explained it quite clearly:

If Ocelot had to hide from the Patriot AI, he'd need three things.
False DNA
False Biometric signature
False brain wave pattern. These are the three things that make up an ID to the AI system.
Simply not having nanos would not allow him to access SOP. He needs nanos, but they cannot be attached to his own body. He would access nanos through a proxy(his robotic arm), while the nanos were stored within an organic extension(Liquid's hand).

time to explain:

Now, Ocelot could have simply ridded himself of Nanomachines, but that would have raised suspicion in the AI and also had disconnected him from SOP. That doesn't help him. He must have a way to connect to the AI.

But..he could still use nanomachines if he quarantined them to Liquid Snake's arm. This was done by creating a device to sustain his arm while masking his own DNA. A proxy. A proxy is used by a computer accessing a server, through another server, to keep it anonymous. The robotic arm was the proxy. It kept Liquid's hand alive through technology, but prevented the mingling of Ocelot's DNA or Nanomachines with that of Liquid Snake's, which were quarantined within his hand. Essentially, his hand was registered as a living person, while Ocelot himself remained anonymous.

So Liquid Snake's arm contained his nanomachines, DNA, Biometric Signature, and through wiring, it used Ocelot's brain waves to keep it alive, give it movement, and also complete the SOP ID that Ocelot now used. The psychotherapy reshaped his brainwaves to match the data recorded in Liquid's nanomachines, turning him into Liquid Snake's memetic doppleganger. This also allows Ocelot to NOT contain 4th gen Nanomachines in his own body, protecting him from the effects of the SOP withdrawl and removing him from having to register himself using 4th gen nanomachines. This hid him away.

So when this person(Liquid Ocelot) registered with the Patriot AI, it wasn't a person they are monitoring. It was not a threat. It was most likely not identified as Liquid died before the system was put in order. The interesting thing is that this turned Liquid Snake's right arm into a controller for SOP once he took the system. When he aimed and fired with that magic arm, he literally sent administrative commands through his arm and into SOP, ordering his soldiers to fire. His brain made the command and the system recognized the signature expressed through Liquid's hand and it was sent through his arm into the system, and delivered to the soldiers through GW.

That arm itself was a proxy server between himself, GW, SOP, and the soldiers now connected to it.

Doc Evils

chespace said:
Solidus did know that Ocelot was working for the Patriots, according to the MGDB.

Anyways, I don't know why but it just strikes me as ridiculous that an ex-president of the U.S. is the perfect genetic clone of Big Boss and was not only a super soldier himself, but one who was rearing a child-soldier from a foreign conflict. I know there are probably more ridiculous things in the MGS saga, but this one I just can't forgive, personally.

It would be awesome to see Jimmy Carter in a Doc Oct. powersuit.

Also, MGS2 nevar forget:

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/19210

One of Big Boss' special feats was being able to persuade people to join to his side and made an excellent leader which could be seen in Colombia, South Africa and Zanzibar Land. They made an excellent choice to run a country with those attributes of Big Boss.

1stStrike

Banned
Ken Masters said:
isn't auto aim the square button?

for some reason I can never turn it on in SP or MP

You have to actually enable it in the options menu before you can use it in-game.

Oh and, I can't believe all the people wanting peoples completed big boss badge game saves and such. Personally, I put a lot of work into mine..I'm not giving that shit out. If people want the extras, they can earn em themselves. I have no problem helping you out and giving tips, but I'm not spoon feeding anyone a game save =\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom