• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

soultron

Banned
Does anyone know where to find all the emblems from MGS4?

The
Outer Haven
insignia from the loading screens would make one badass tattoo.

soultron

Banned
Ceb said:
It's also the most linear one. Acts 1, 2, and 4 offer a lot more freedom concerning how you can choose to approach things.

I personally liked Act 3, but I think it should've had one more playable section to make it feel more... full.
I disagree. I would always lose my lead if I didn't provide assistance. Then I would have to find another lead. Things play out differently if you take a hands-off approach -- try it.

FabCam

Ceb said:
It's also the most linear one. Acts 1, 2, and 4 offer a lot more freedom concerning how you can choose to approach things.

I personally liked Act 3, but I think it should've had one more playable section to make it feel more... full.

What?! It's just like Act 1+2. You can just explore this massive city, taking out PMC troops or looking for hidden items. Act 3 is amazing if you just explore around.

1stStrike

Banned
BobTheFork said:
DAMN! BB extreme is kicking my ass. I got through BB hard ok and thought I could just do the same. I made it through act one really well but now I've spend 2 hours just trying to get past the frogs fight. Nothing is working well enough and it just feels random. sometimes I can move around ok but then they get a 3triple headshot from a corner crack and I die instantly. HALP

Edit: I think Chaff is totally unnecessary, but helpful. There was only one spot one my BB hard run where I wanted to use it and I eventually found a way around that spot. It would certainly help on time, but you can beat 5hrs easy IMO.

You should read my comments on some trouble sections I had while going through the game on extreme. I covered that section too.

Basically,
Big Boss hard is just a warm up for extreme. Extreme is no fucking joke. In this fight, you need to let Meryl's team take the lead while you duck and crawl as much as possible while throwing stun grenades and getting off a shot on the frogs every now and then when the opportunity arises. Akiba will keep giving you stun grenades when you run out, so don't worry about trying to conserve them.

test_account

XP-39C²
Can anyone tell me how to change shoulder view side in Metal Gear Online? I was playing online earlier and suddently i had over the left shoulder view. I tried to check in the options settings, but i cant find anything. HELP! :( (maybe i should have asked in the Metal Gear Online thread, sorry, but i ask here since this thread seems more active :)).

FabCam

test_account said:
Can anyone tell me how to change shoulder view side in Metal Gear Online? I was playing online earlier and suddently i had over the left shoulder view. I tried to check in the options settings, but i cant find anything. HELP! :( (maybe i should have asked in the Metal Gear Online thread, sorry, but i ask here since this thread seems more active :)).

Press R3/L3. I can't remember exactly which one.

acevans2

Quick question: if I'm going for No Alerts, does it count when the Gekkos see you in Act 1? There's the alert sound but you don't do an alert phase...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
acevans2 said:
Quick question: if I'm going for No Alerts, does it count when the Gekkos see you in Act 1? There's the alert sound but you don't do an alert phase...
That doesn't count as an alert.

Draft

soultron said:
I disagree. I would always lose my lead if I didn't provide assistance. Then I would have to find another lead. Things play out differently if you take a hands-off approach -- try it.
What?! It's just like Act 1+2. You can just explore this massive city, taking out PMC troops or looking for hidden items. Act 3 is amazing if you just explore around.
To what end? Just killing time before you finally decide to suck it up and spend 15 minute trailing a skittish little man through downtown Eastern Europe?

burgerdog said:
I think I learned about the D-pad sneaking in mgs3 2-3 years after the game came out.

Yeah, me too. I always hated no matter how lightly I angled the analog stick, they still turned around wondering what was behind them. It was actually earlier this year when replaying MGS3:S and reading a post here that pointed out that fine little nugget. NOW I'm able to use CQC. I ignored it way back when even though it's sort of what the game was all about :lol

This could very well be old news but I just found an easy way to defeat the BB corp bosses.
Equip the camera and use the 2p mode option. This makes the beauties pose keeping them still and you can just shoot away without having to worry about them dodging. This is good for anyone who wanted to spend as much time as they wanted snapping pics and then using the last 15 seconds to end it quick. My first time I kept desperately shooting and watching them dodge the shots until they just died automatically lol

Slurmer

Banned
Just noticed something in Act 4. could have already been stated but
in the Shadow Moses - Underground Base section, the small zone just before the Vamp fight. If you shoot the dwarf gekko, about 20 more jump up from the giant holes in the floor.

test_account

XP-39C²
FabCam said:
Press R3/L3. I can't remember exactly which one.
Ah, thats 2 buttons i didnt think of trying, R3 was the correct button to change the aim camera shoulder view, thanks alot! :) I'm sorry for the alittle late reply here by the way, i read your reply, but before i replied i had to try out the L3 and R3 buttons and when i found out it worked i played for a bit before i went back to my computer :)

Orlics

Steiner_Zi said:
Err, what? Have you seen the end?

I don't think he was talking about whether or not Liquid Ocelot was Liquid or was Ocelot. I kind of miss Liquid's speeches and Ocelot's hand gesturing hijinks too. The way Liquid Ocelot delivered the "BROTHERR" just didn't go down that well for me. Eh, at least we got the
you're pretty good *hand gesture* thing but he DIED right after. oh well.

Just finished MGS4 my second time through and I earned the Eagle rank. I'm pretty short on cash now because I bought a PS3, but oh well. Glad I got to play MGS4. It very well be the last game I ever get this excited for.

eso76

actually i kind of miss REVOLVER Ocelot.
Now that the game provides interesting enough mechanics for shootouts, i would have liked the ultimate handgun confrontation with revolver himself.
Oh, that and the gun twirling.

Orlics

eso76 said:
actually i kind of miss REVOLVER Ocelot.
Now that the game provides interesting enough mechanics for shootouts, i would have liked the ultimate handgun confrontation with revolver himself.
Oh, that and the gun twirling.

To be fair the campy Revolver Ocelot fight in MGS1 with bouncing bullets and all would have been a bit out-of-place in MGS4. But I see where you're coming from.

MoxManiac

Draft said:
Act 1 was good.

Act 2 was great.

Act 3 was ass.

Is there some actual damn sneaking in act 4?

I actually love the fact that I don't have to use stealth too much in this game. I'd rather kill everything in sight. MGS3 gave me that option too. I guess it's why i like both games much better than 1 and 2.

Got a strange easter egg on Act 2. I guess this is spoiler tag worthy...

In the battle by the Power Station I sniped like 15 guys in a row before realizing they just kept respawning. So I decided to advance toward the checkpoint. As I got closer to the PMC's building I capped a few more guys, but after another kill I hear some weird voice echo in Snake's head and then he starts to puke. :lol I couldn't make out what the voice said though. I take it this had something to do with the psych gauge being low and all the murderin I was doing? Kojima is crazy.

BTW are a lot of the battles like that where no matter what you do the rebels can't advance and win? I was waiting for the militia to start cheering like in Act 1 but it never came. :(

Phatcorns

ToyMachine228 said:
Just finished MGS4 my second time through and I earned the Eagle rank. I'm pretty short on cash now because I bought a PS3, but oh well. Glad I got to play MGS4. It very well be the last game I ever get this excited for.

Dude, don't say something so depressing. Unless you are 80 years old, do you really think a game this good won't come around again?

scoobs

hukasmokincaterpillar said:

In the battle by the Power Station I sniped like 15 guys in a row before realizing they just kept respawning. So I decided to advance toward the checkpoint. As I got closer to the PMC's building I capped a few more guys, but after another kill I hear some weird voice echo in Snake's head and then he starts to puke. :lol I couldn't make out what the voice said though. I take it this had something to do with the psych gauge being low and all the murderin I was doing? Kojima is crazy.

BTW are a lot of the battles like that where no matter what you do the rebels can't advance and win? I was waiting for the militia to start cheering like in Act 1 but it never came. :(

Yea if u start going on a massive killing rampage this will happen... really strange he says something like "so you like killing eh?"

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Phatcorns said:
Dude, don't say something so depressing. Unless you are 80 years old, do you really think a game this good won't come around again?

It has been foretold man MGS4 was the last game of Forever we will get, anything afterwards will just be awesome but not Game of Forever worthy.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Phatcorns said:
I'm thinking just like the man...

Just made it to Act 5 but now I have to leave for work. Man is this game good. I really need to buy my own PS3. But it would rid me of what little money I have right now. Decisions...

Phatcorns said:

I'm not 80, but I'm getting older, trying to really look for a girl companion, I'm getting a career started, and the end of college is in sight. Just don't know if I'll ever be this hyped for a videogame ever again. Well, Gears 2 maybe. We'll see. But with the end of Snake's story, I almost feel like my videogame career is moving on a bit.

[HP]

hey guys, I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I guess I spotted some kind of eater egg concerning possible next MGS titles!

When you are chatting with Naomi (ACT 2), at a given time a full motion video takes place, and when they are talking about past events in the MGS story, all the MGS titles ever shiped start to scrool down in a list, obviously the last one of the list is MGS4, but... Under the MGS4 there's two more grayed out slots, saying "Under development"!

now, WTF!?!? :D

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
[HP] said:
hey guys, I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I guess I spotted some kind of eater egg concerning possible next MGS titles!

When you are chatting with Naomi (ACT 2), at a given time a full motion video takes place, and when they are talking about past events in the MGS story, all the MGS titles ever shiped start to scrool down in a list, obviously the last one of the list is MGS4, but... Under the MGS4 there's two more grayed out slots, saying "Under development"!

now, WTF!?!?

Raiden?

Slurmer

Banned

you can win
sneak into the building and find the control panel, then blow it up however you please (I usually go with c4). The rebels will usually start to celebrate soon after this

DieH@rd

Banned

Its a flashback from MGS1. Liquids voice on top of the REX: "You enjoy all the killling, THATS WHY!"
Awesome. I've got that on Act1.

I just beat Laughing Octopus, and man...what a boss battle that was.

Even though I'm still not that far in the game, I still feel like I can go ahead and say this is my favorite game. Ever. I can't believe how much work Kojima and his team put into this. It's unbelievable.

ianp622

Slurmer said:
you can win
sneak into the building and find the control panel, then blow it up however you please (I usually go with c4). The rebels will usually start to celebrate soon after this

That's strange, when I played
the rebels destroyed it themselves. Perhaps because I tranqed alot of guards, they didn't respawn which gave the rebels a chance to destroy the station. By the way, I love walking back to areas that you've taken over and seeing the rebels patrol the area. I'd love to see the same mechanic in a prequel (Liberian Civil War with Raiden anyone?

Dave1988

Test your eyesight in MGS4:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=926596&topic=43805435

device.jpg

device1.jpg

device3.jpg

device4.jpg

aparisi2274

So here is a cool little thing I noticed when playing Act 4, and it just goes to show how detail oriented Kojima is.

When you are in the
Nuke room, when Otacon needs some time to get the door open, and the Gekko comes in and he tells you to keep him occupied, if you try to shoot him with any large gun (for me I tried the RPG and Javelin), the missles go straight into the ceiling, because the room is still magnetized from the first MGS game.

Detail like that is what made me really enjoy this game.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
aparisi2274 said:
So here is a cool little thing I noticed when playing Act 4, and it just goes to show how detail oriented Kojima is.

When you are in the
Nuke room, when Otacon needs some time to get the door open, and the Gekko comes in and he tells you to keep him occupied, if you try to shoot him with any large gun (for me I tried the RPG and Javelin), the missles go straight into the ceiling, because the room is still magnetized from the first MGS game.

Ahhh. That will explain why I had the same trouble during the showdown with
the Geckos after killing Vamp

Yoshichan

aparisi2274 said:

When you are in the

Unbelievable.

Juice

Okay, is there an easy way to get to
big mama in the eastern europe sneak? I'm really starting to get pissed. Is it a static location on a map I can just run to?

aparisi2274 said:

When you are in the

Playing it the second time. Rail Gun FTMFW :D

Yoshichan

shagg_187 said:
Playing it the second time. Rail Gun FTMFW :D
Exactly! Spoiler act 4:
"We've got Gekko!!!"
*BOOOOOOOM*
"..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom