• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyu

Teknoman said:
Im gonna guess you're talking about Drebin...dont really see how he's the stereotypical black guy, also why would you start the game on Big Boss difficulty? If you dont even know your way around the game...doesnt really make sense to start on hard. That and I dont understand how you and that other guy got all the militia on you. I didnt even wear the costume once (they give it to you just in case you dont help the militia out) and they never attacked me. Maybe its because I helped them out earlier on
Blowing up two of the armored vehicles and helping them clear out the PMCs

Yeah, I'm talking about Drebin. I'm sorry, but he's just as bad as the other videogames cliche no. 127 of giving the SAW to the big hulking black dude.

As for starting on Big Boss difficulty, I usually start MGS games on that and so far it hasn't been any different to other ones (apart from the enjoyment). How the militia got on me is a mystery to me too, as I stopped for the first two guards then when I was in the "hospital treatment" area the guard immediately set an alert off without warning like the first two guards. Glitch in the game, maybe, but highly frustrating. Little matter though as I've stunned a few PMCs for the militia (going for no kills, again, like I try to do in other ones) and they don't attack me now in plain sight.

I must admit, it did get better trying to find your contact, although I still feel it's more like MGS3 than 1 and 2 to me.

Another nitpick- will I be getting more codec contacts soon? I've always liked the choice in the past.

JB1981

Alright I had enough.

I need help defeating
Vamp.

I thought maybe strangling this bitch while he was down would do the trick but it's not working. What do I do to put this dude out of his misery?

patsu

* Kill Vamp
* Equip syringe in Item list
* CQC grab him (R1)
* Press triangle (I think). Examine the syringe to find the exact usage instructions.

Doc Evils

Dave1988 said:
Test your eyesight in MGS4:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=926596&topic=43805435

device.jpg

device1.jpg

device3.jpg

device4.jpg

Ah Kojima you never fail me.

dalyr95

aparisi2274 said:
When you are in the
Nuke room, when Otacon needs some time to get the door open, and the Gekko comes in and he tells you to keep him occupied, if you try to shoot him with any large gun (for me I tried the RPG and Javelin), the missles go straight into the ceiling, because the room is still magnetized from the first MGS game.
Why was it magnetized it's been years since I played MGS

DieH@rd said:
Its a flashback from MGS1. Liquids voice on top of the REX: "You enjoy all the killling, THATS WHY!"
Awesome. I've got that on Act1.

Ha, thats great. This is why I love Kojima, who else would think of putting something like that in there.

Doc Evils

UK tabloid The Mirror reviewed MGS4 giving it 5/5

"MGS4 serves as one of the first genuine examples of the superior horsepower Sony's machine has over Microsoft's rival Xbox 360."

Visually there's little else out there right now to rival MGS4, although there are some ridiculously indulgent feature-length cut scenes. This aside, it's an unforgettable experience that no self-respecting PS3 owner should be without.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/techno...-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots-89520-20613929/

Nice to see casual praise from the British press.

gray_fox224

I'm trying to do a 'no kill' second play through and I have a question regarding
Drebin's vehicle section near the end of act 2. If I use the machine gun, will it count as a kill?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
gray_fox224 said:
I'm trying to do a 'no kill' second play through and I have a question regarding
Drebin's vehicle section near the end of act 2. If I use the machine gun, will it count as a kill?
Yes.
Just CQC the "zombies" and shoot the Gekkos. Gekkos don't count as kills. Also, watch out for the robots that look like Gekkos, those will count as kills.

scoobs

JB1981 said:
Alright I had enough.

I need help defeating
Vamp.

I thought maybe strangling this bitch while he was down would do the trick but it's not working. What do I do to put this dude out of his misery?

after knocking him down to 0 health wait for him to try to stand up and get behind him, equip the syringe and CQC grab him and press triangle ;)

Win.

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Got a strange easter egg on Act 2. I guess this is spoiler tag worthy...

In the battle by the Power Station I sniped like 15 guys in a row before realizing they just kept respawning. So I decided to advance toward the checkpoint. As I got closer to the PMC's building I capped a few more guys, but after another kill I hear some weird voice echo in Snake's head and then he starts to puke. :lol I couldn't make out what the voice said though. I take it this had something to do with the psych gauge being low and all the murderin I was doing? Kojima is crazy.

That's Snake actually having a flashback to the time in Metal Gear Solid 1 where Liquid reminds him that he accepts the missions and such because he (Solid) enjoys the killing. Snake remembers this amidst the killings in MGS4 and it's too much for his conscience to bear; he reels back and vomits upon his recollection. It's one of the best small touches in the game.

cilonen

Just finished it. Absolutely blown away - played act 1 across a couple of evenings last week, put the disc in this morning (10 AM UK time) to pick up and just turned it off now, finished, at around midnight. Couldn't stop.

Act 4, especially the opening of it, may well be my new number one videogaming moment.

I love the semi-recursive nature of the whole thing..
It may just be me, but I felt the whole game kind of counted you back through the previous games with each act, 4 obviously so, but I felt like 1 was the setup, we all knew about the middle east, we'd all seen the trailers. 2 was back to the jungle of MGS3, 3 was essentially the last two hours of MGS3 re-contextualised, 4 was MGS and 5 was Arsenal Gear from MGS2 again.
Not that I'm calling them ripoffs, far from it, it's a much more clever re-interpretation than that almost like gameplay as a narrative technique itself to make you semi-aware on one level of the journey you as the player are going on.

I only made one error prior to playing the game - I was trying to get my Metal Gear lore straight so I hit up Wikipedia's list of characters from Metal Gear Solid 2 to remember exactly what Solidus' beef was and how he fitted in and
the bio on Wikipedia thold me "In Metal Gear Solid 4, Solidus's corpse is seen. At first it is assumed to be Big Boss but it is later revealed to be Solidus. Liquid dumps his body into a fire and it is incinerated." which was a bit of a major bummer - it's been edited now to avoid that. I still wasn't expecting the epilogue scene though so that was OK.
Apart from that I was spoiler free aside from knowing that some of the game was in the Middle East.

Just one loose end remains really...
who injected Snake with the new FoxDie, and was the sole reason for that to kill Big Boss at the end? BB mentioned something about proxies of the Patriots, was that a general rant that even with it all ended there were still active remnants of the system?
... that's the last thing I think, everything else resolved nicely. God knows how Kojima did it, but it did. I want to know at what stage did he have the whole story in his head, before MGS? During writing MGS2? Amazing stuff.

Big-E

On my Big Boss emblem run now. Finished the first act in 50 mins. Can I still beat this in under 5 hours? Act 1 and 2 are the longest Acts correct?

aparisi2274

dalyr95 said:
Why was it magnetized it's been years since I played MGS

I dont remember the exact reason... but that room housed all the nuke warheads, and so you werent allowed to use any weapons in that room..... so I think I remember them saying that if anyone were to fire a weapon in there it would hit the ceiling as to not hit any nukes...

I'm on the final battle in my second run.

You can really notice when a scene is pre-rendered. Everything is super smooth in them.

The last battle is an exception, because there isn't much to render. You could swear that this part is pre-rendered, though. >:p

Ploid 3.0

cilonen said:
Just finished it. Absolutely blown away - played act 1 across a couple of evenings last week, put the disc in this morning (10 AM UK time) to pick up and just turned it off now, finished, at around midnight. Couldn't stop.

Act 4, especially the opening of it, may well be my new number one videogaming moment.

I love the semi-recursive nature of the whole thing..
It may just be me, but I felt the whole game kind of counted you back through the previous games with each act, 4 obviously so, but I felt like 1 was the setup, we all knew about the middle east, we'd all seen the trailers. 2 was back to the jungle of MGS3, 3 was essentially the last two hours of MGS3 re-contextualised, 4 was MGS and 5 was Arsenal Gear from MGS2 again.
Not that I'm calling them ripoffs, far from it, it's a much more clever re-interpretation than that almost like gameplay as a narrative technique itself to make you semi-aware on one level of the journey you as the player are going on.

I only made one error prior to playing the game - I was trying to get my Metal Gear lore straight so I hit up Wikipedia's list of characters from Metal Gear Solid 2 to remember exactly what Solidus' beef was and how he fitted in and
the bio on Wikipedia thold me "In Metal Gear Solid 4, Solidus's corpse is seen. At first it is assumed to be Big Boss but it is later revealed to be Solidus. Liquid dumps his body into a fire and it is incinerated." which was a bit of a major bummer - it's been edited now to avoid that. I still wasn't expecting the epilogue scene though so that was OK.
Apart from that I was spoiler free aside from knowing that some of the game was in the Middle East.

Just one loose end remains really...
who injected Snake with the new FoxDie, and was the sole reason for that to kill Big Boss at the end? BB mentioned something about proxies of the Patriots, was that a general rant that even with it all ended there were still active remnants of the system?
... that's the last thing I think, everything else resolved nicely. God knows how Kojima did it, but it did. I want to know at what stage did he have the whole story in his head, before MGS? During writing MGS2? Amazing stuff.

About your one loose end question.
Drebin injected snake with the new foxdie

cilonen

Ploid 3.0 said:
About your one loose end question.
Drebin injected snake with the new foxdie

Yeah, that's an option
but after Snake confronts him about it, Drebin looks surprised and says something along the lines of 'You could have got that anywhere' (which kind of takes you back to Naomi saying anyone could have done it right before Snake suspects Drebin in the research lab scene) and then Drebin goes on with the whole 'Why would I want you dead, you're my best customer' speech. Unless all new nanomachine shots automatically have FoxDie2 mixed in with them as routine!
... so I'm not 100% sure that's it. I'll go with it (
Drebin being the culprit
) in the absence of anything better though :)

Enojado

Barely started playing Act 4. I was blown away by the movie (that's what I think of it as) at the end of Act 3. I was sitting there in awe and wishing it would never end.

NIN90

cilonen said:
Yeah, that's an option
but after Snake confronts him about it, Drebin looks surprised and says something along the lines of 'You could have got that anywhere' (which kind of takes you back to Naomi saying anyone could have done it right before Snake suspects Drebin in the research lab scene) and then Drebin goes on with the whole 'Why would I want you dead, you're my best customer' speech. Unless all new nanomachine shots automatically have FoxDie2 mixed in with them as routine!
Drebin being the culprit

Simple answer: Drebin lied.
You can even see a flashback of Drebin injecting it when you hit the X button while Big Boss talks about it.
Drebin injected him because he is an agent of the patriots.

dhelfric said:
Simple answer: Drebin lied.
You can even see a flashback of Drebin injecting it when you hit the X button while Big Boss talks about it.
Drebin injected him because he is an agent of the patriots.

Yeap.
Drebin mentions he's working for the Patriots in the end, and the Metal Gear Database confirms that Drebin injected Snake with the new FoxDie in order to kill Eva, Ocelot, and Big Boss. The unexpected effect was stopping the old FoxDie from spreading.

cilonen said:
Yeah, that's an option
Drebin being the culprit
But the new FoxDie did not intent to kill Snake! It protected Snake from the old one and was designed to kill the ex-Patriots: Eva, Ocelot and Big Boss. Something which makes perfect sense since Drebin worked for the Patriots. He lied Snake the whole time about his employer, so he lied about the injection, too.

Baryn

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
I'm waiting until it's safe for me to be able to use this gif. I loved that moment.
I would hardly call it a spoiler, but I suppose the the win of this scene should be preserved.

Just finished Act 3... My god... there's just no words...

The Bike chase
is the most impressive thing I've ever seen in gaming,
the perfect mix between cutscene and gameplay, the way it all works, just perfect...

I now understand where all the 10s/10s are coming from :p

JB1981

I syringed Vamp's ass. Now these fucking Gekkos
are pissing me off!

I'm not understanding why they did
this splitscreen
, though. It's not like you have time to see what's happening
with Vamp and Raiden.

Ceb

JB1981 said:
are pissing me off!

this splitscreen
with Vamp and Raiden.

Play through it on Liquid Easy the next time. :D

dalyr95

The nano machines prevented him from firing weapons if I recall correctly, I don't remember anything about being magnitised (although I did get the missle going to ceiling thing, though eventually it hit the gekko)

Stealth

JB1981 said:
are pissing me off!

this splitscreen
with Vamp and Raiden.

It's not there because you have time to see it, it's there because it's what you'd rather be seeing.

TheOddOne

JB1981 said:
are pissing me off!

this splitscreen
with Vamp and Raiden.

Sniper + inzoom is your friend

thatJohann

I RENTED THIS PIECE OF CRAP GAME AND I'M IN SHOCK OF HOW BORING THE GAMEPLAY IS. IT FEELS SO ANTIQUATED. UGH, WASTED $5 ON THAT RENTAL.

JB1981 said:
are pissing me off!

this splitscreen
with Vamp and Raiden.
Adrenaline... And because it makes the scene more intense and realistic. And because it's cool!:D People complain about cut-scenes but then they put them during the gameplay, they bitch as well. :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
HybridXL said:
I RENTED THIS PIECE OF CRAP GAME AND I'M IN SHOCK OF HOW BORING THE GAMEPLAY IS. IT FEELS SO ANTIQUATED. UGH, WASTED $5 ON THAT RENTAL.
1231_hysterically_laughing.gif

HybridXL said:
You should have known better... next time just play it safe and get some generic FPS man! Sorry for your loss.

*sheesh*

Maggot9

Banned
Steiner_Zi said:
Adrenaline... And because it makes the scene more intense and realistic. And because it's cool!:D People complain about cut-scenes but then they put them during the gameplay, they bitch as well. :p
that makes sense

1stStrike

Banned
Big-E said:
On my Big Boss emblem run now. Finished the first act in 50 mins. Can I still beat this in under 5 hours? Act 1 and 2 are the longest Acts correct?

There's 5 acts. Long as you beat each one in under an hour you can do it. The first two acts should take you about 1:45 at the longest. The next act will get you to 2:30 - 2:45. The 4th about 3:30 - 3:45. Then, you should be through the 5th act and past the final boss by no later than 4:35. There's some stuff at the end that you just can't skip and it adds up.

It's really quite doable. I took a bit longer than most people on the boss battles and still managed to finish the game in 4:33.

P.S. I'm on my 4th play through (this one on liquid normal since that's one of the two i haven't played yet) and
the big boss mask + the patriot is awesome. The beginning part of snake eater plays when you aim with the patriot and when guards see you with the mask on they freak out and start screaming, then eventually fall unconscious. it's hilarious lol.

This should be a fun play through. I'm going to get as many badges as I can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom