• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploid 3.0

Baryn said:
I would hardly call it a spoiler, but I suppose the the win of this scene should be preserved.

After getting chewed up for using small sections from the "This Summer" trailer at around 3 days until launch I'll rather be the last to use that sene as a avatar.

Whoah, I didn't know stuff was different if you played on different difficulties. Just starting to play on Hard and
there are scripted events such as PMC's killing a militia, while he's like "PLEASE DONT SHOOT!" and reaching out to me for help :( I don't remember that on my first run on Normal

Ploid 3.0

neojubei said:
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH CRAP!!!!! I just played AWESOME and it was good. Just finished Act 4. WOW!!!

Welcome to manhood :D

effingvic said:
Whoah, I didn't know stuff was different if you played on different difficulties. Just starting to play on Hard and
there are scripted events such as PMC's killing a militia, while he's like "PLEASE DONT SHOOT!" and reaching out to me for help :( I don't remember that on my first run on Normal

Don't that just make you feel like crap when you think, "sorry dude, you're on your own"?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
HybridXL said:
I RENTED THIS PIECE OF CRAP GAME AND I'M IN SHOCK OF HOW BORING THE GAMEPLAY IS. IT FEELS SO ANTIQUATED. UGH, WASTED $5 ON THAT RENTAL.

I can see people thinking this with any Metal Gear game if they don't get far enough into it. I don't get super hyped when a new Metal Gear game is coming out and even when I start playing it, it can take some time for the game to click for me. I think it has a lot to do with how different this game is from everything else out there. But when the game does finally click and gets comfortable I have a hard time putting it down.

I'm not even finished Act 1 yet and I can't wait to get back to it. But I started the game last Thursday and had some trouble getting through the first couple of areas without getting noticed and wound up shutting it down. Didn't go back to it for almost a week too.

I really hope Hybrid gives the game some more time. I think that the Metal Gear series is one that every gamer can enjoy once they get into it.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Welcome to manhood :D

Don't that just make you feel like crap when you think, "sorry dude, you're on your own"?

Yeah, seriously. I just wanna go rambo on those dudes.

Fuck, how can I get good at stealth? rather, use octocamo for what its supposed to be about--camoflage? I keep getting caught, even at 85% camo and im lying on the floor like I'm dead. then they come and kick me and I'm fucked.

I thought the point of that was so that they don't see you

Ploid 3.0

effingvic said:
Yeah, seriously. I just wanna go rambo on those dudes.

Fuck, how can I get good at stealth? rather, use octocamo for what its supposed to be about--camoflage? I keep getting caught, even at 85% camo and im lying on the floor like I'm dead. then they come and kick me and I'm fucked.

I thought the point of that was so that they don't see you

You can't be too close to them, or make sounds to make them come your way. If they are going to walk within 2 feet of you, be prepaird to get a curious pmc to inspect that funny looking shadow. When you get the MKII don't forget to use it for scouting purposes. It's better at clearing nearby guards than slow cautious moving snake.

any tips on what i can do if they are coming my way without sending off an alert? i usually just roll out, but then sometimes that's enough to call for an alert :|

also, love theme (ssbb) :( i want it. is that atleast an unlockable song in this game?

Feindflug

I started the game today and I'm after the
FROGS
and all I have to say is that the game is really great - the cut-scenes are top-notch, graphics & IQ are awesome (playing @ 1080p), music is simply perfect, the controls are improved & the atmoshere is really something..can't wait to play more tomorrow. :D

JaseMath

Just beat the game. Please, can someone explain to me how in the Hell
Big Boss was still alive after "dying" twice?
That really left a bad taste in my mouth to an otherwise delicious game; I was like, "...really? C'mon..." o_o

JasonMCG said:
That really left a bad taste in my mouth to an otherwise delicious game; I was like, "...really? C'mon..." o_o

Download the Database, it answers questions.

tha_con

Banned
JasonMCG said:

Well, he never 'died' per se. He was missing limbs, or something, and kept alive by the patriots, basically on life support. Eva used pieces of Solidus to 'complete him' but he wouldn't wake up until the Patriots were 'destroyed'.

Ploid 3.0

JasonMCG said:
They used him as the first snatcher experiment. He says it at the end. His body was pieced together with other body parts (solidus, liquid?). I would grab it from the database but i'm nowhere near the ps3 atm.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The (gameplay)mopening to Act 5 has me pulling my hair out.

It's right when you start on the Outer Haven. I ...kinda have no interest in sneaking through so I've been trying to blast my way in, but the last sequence in which I have to open that I get owned. My question: Is it even possible to do this by blasting through this sequence or do i need to sneak my way in?

1stStrike

Banned
effingvic said:
any tips on what i can do if they are coming my way without sending off an alert? i usually just roll out, but then sometimes that's enough to call for an alert :|

also, love theme (ssbb) :( i want it. is that atleast an unlockable song in this game?

avoid the guards, get good at head shotting with the tranq pistol/sniper rifle (immediate knock out. anything else will take about 10 seconds to kick in), the stun knife and cqc.

You have to just basically avoid them at all costs, cause if you get too close or make any sounds, they'll see you/hear you.

scoobs

Wellington said:
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The (gameplay)mopening to Act 5 has me pulling my hair out.

It's right when you start on the Outer Haven. I ...kinda have no interest in sneaking through so I've been trying to blast my way in, but the last sequence in which I have to open that I get owned. My question: Is it even possible to do this by blasting through this sequence or do i need to sneak my way in?

Yes its possible. Best bet is to put silencers on and try to shoot/sneak through the frogs as best as possible and if the alert sounds just run up to where you find the gekkos and use the rail gun to kill em both fast then kill a couple frogs next to the door and open ASAP and run inside.

Ploid 3.0

Wellington said:

Luck
I did on my first run through, but you have to time it right and make sure no gekko's are up. There are frogs shooting from a look out area at the top that will be to much of a bother to suppress. For the local frogs I just stunned them or just ignored unless they ran up to me.

Ploid 3.0

1stStrike said:
avoid the guards, get good at head shotting with the tranq pistol/sniper rifle (immediate knock out. anything else will take about 10 seconds to kick in), the stun knife and cqc.

You have to just basically avoid them at all costs, cause if you get too close or make any sounds, they'll see you/hear you.

And throw empty magazines, or use mk to tap on a wall that's a good position for misdirection.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Just finished the game for the first time, and I have to say that this was easily one of the best gaming experiences out there. I'm just so fucking glad my power didn't go out during the final part of the game, because there is a crazy storm outside right now. :lol

I'll probably take a little while to mull over what happened before I start a new play through.

Nooreo

hey you guys im trying to go for the Pidgin emblem and i am not suppose to get ANY KILLS

now im upto the first boss
laughing octopus,Well i am wondering can i kill her using my M4 when shes in that "Shell" and then tranq her when shes human?. Will that count as a kill when i use my M4 against her to get her into that human state?! I hope not i haven't used any weapon but my Tranquilizer gun :(

Ploid 3.0

I don't know the specifics of that emblem but breaking her suit isn't a kill, so you're safe to do as you please until you encounter the yolk.

Nooreo

Ploid 3.0 said:
I don't know the specifics of that emblem but breaking her suit isn't a kill, so you're safe to do as you please until you encounter the yolk.
Hmm your post has a bit of uncertainty, ill need more ppl to confirm this also im gonna check out gamefaq's ^__^, thx anyway

"For no kills keep in mind all unmanned enemies (gekkos, dwarf gekkos, those
flying things that follow Raging Raven) do not count as kills.
The rocket men
do count as kills (they are in the chase sequence near the end of Act 2).
"

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/926596/53112

Please lord please tell me the rocket men arent the
zombies hes talking about in act 2 :|

Edit: Kill the bosses with tranq guns and stun grenades. (same source)

Yeah i guess i have to use tranq T__T

centracore

I just beat the game for the first time minutes ago, the only word that comes to mind as to how I feel about this game is just.. amazing.

I think this game has wrecked gaming for me for at least a couple of months because nothing will come close to what this was.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not know whats wrong with my controller, it will not do what i want.
I am fighting liquid now and #@$@E# it does not work.

This controller must be broken, I can move but I cannot fight!!!

Ploid 3.0

Nooreo said:
Hmm your post has a bit of uncertainty, ill need more ppl to confirm this also im gonna check out gamefaq's ^__^, thx anyway

The rocket men
"

When you want the statue of the boss (the toy for sunny, and collect all bosses + the first frogs fight's statue for the solar gun) you have to kill the best form with none lethal weapons. If you kill the beast form with lethal weapons, and the human form with none lethal weapons it don't count as a kill at the end of the act. I don't know the description of the pigeon emblem though, so maybe it's not just "don't kill anybody".

Ploid 3.0

neojubei said:

Are you hitting r1 each attack? R1 is cqc so all of your attacks are via r1.

neojubei said:

Basic controls:

- Tap R1 for punch/kick combo
- Hold R1 for CQC
- Hold L1 for Block. Hold L1 and press R1 for strong punch
- Press X for Dash. During dash, press R1 for Uppercut
- Press select for more info

Can you specify what's working and what's not?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
neojubei said:

Push the select button to look at the control layout.

neojubei

shagg_187 said:
Basic controls:

- Tap R1 for punch/kick combo
- Hold R1 for CQC
- Hold L1 for Block. Hold L1 and press R1 for strong punch
- Press X for Dash. During dash, press R1 for Uppercut
- Press select for more info

Can you specify what's working and what's not?

thanks because god knows the controls just fing suddenly change, no warning no nothing. life bar half way already gone.

edit: wow.....mind blown....

neojubei said:
thanks because god knows the controls just fing suddenly change, no warning no nothing. life bar half way already gone.

I know you can't pause right now, but the game prompts a "Save a game?" message. I hope you did incase you decide to replay with better results :)

traveler

Not Wario
Nooreo said:

The rocket men
"

You can kill the beasts with whatever you want. Just tranq them when they go beauty. (You do need to tranq the beasts, however, if you wish to unlock
the Solar Gun.

pel1300

Steiner_Zi said:
Err, what? Have you seen the end?

Of course I have. That's why I said that 2 great characters were
sacrificed in order to make one mediocre one. Liquid Ocelot is basically Ocelot who hypnotized himself and did all sorts of other crazy shits(nanomachines or whatever) in order to fool the AIs. In this way, it's like he isn't Ocelot anymore, but he isn't Liquid either since obviously Liquid died never never actually took control of Ocelot

pel1300

Orlics said:
I don't think he was talking about whether or not Liquid Ocelot was Liquid or was Ocelot. I kind of miss Liquid's speeches and Ocelot's hand gesturing hijinks too. The way Liquid Ocelot delivered the "BROTHERR" just didn't go down that well for me. Eh, at least we got the
you're pretty good *hand gesture* thing but he DIED right after. oh well.

Yes...we lose what we loved about both characters.

I would have loved to see
the real Ocelot in MGS4...an Ocelot who acts and talks like Ocelot does, and uses a revolver.

neojubei

just.... then....my....mind...is blown....away....

bowdown.gif
Kojima-sama.

I finally got the Solar Gun. Also, I beat it on Big Boss Hard with zero kills, zero alerts, and zero continues. Now onto The Boss Extreme! I MUST GET THE BIG BOSS EMBLEM!

GO!

SUNLIGHT!

pel1300

I think Kojima didn't realize just how popular of a character Revolver Ocelot was going to be when he was making MGS2.

If he did, maybe he wouldn't have made the lame Liquid taking over Ocelot twist.

neojubei

U K Narayan said:
I finally got the Solar Gun. Also, I beat it on Big Boss Hard with zero kills, zero alerts, and zero continues. Now onto The Boss Extreme! I MUST GET THE BIG BOSS EMBLEM!

GO!

SUNLIGHT!

Solar gun? Reminds me of a certain Kojima GBA game.

pel1300 said:
I think Kojima didn't realize just how popular of a character Revolver Ocelot was going to be when he was making MGS2.

If he did, maybe he wouldn't have made the lame Liquid taking over Ocelot twist.
Well, he doesn't really take him over.

I definitely would have preferred it if Liquid did, though.

neojubei said:
Solar gun? Reminds me of a certain Kojima GBA game.
I can imagine. I haven't even played the implied game and I already knew what it was from.

____

ONLY thing that bothered me:

Maybe I missed it, but are there ANY sequences where Liquid even acknowledges the Beauty and the Beast Corp?

I think I remember hearing that they (either them or the Haven Troopers) were his private army, but they don't even come into contact during the entire game... I remember MGS1, MGS2 and MGS3 where the 'main' antagonists always had some connections/relationships to their personal guard/army/group of bosses.

Nothing major, but seemed kind of odd.

Sorry if it's been answered, I haven't been online in a few days.

pel1300 said:

He didn't.

A question to people that have don the "no alert" run of MGS4.

Do rebel blue alerts count against the no alert run? I just went through act 1 on a no kill/no alert run and i never had anything go into true "alert" mode but at the end it said i had 5 alerts.

So i'm wondering what counts as an alert? I recall going up to several rebels who were blue and they did a blue exclamation and then calmed down. Does that count? Does starting a caution by missed shots count?

I'm trying to figure out where i messed up. I wish i could see my stats during the game and not at the end of the act.

U K Narayan said:
Well, he doesn't really take him over.

I definitely would have preferred it if Liquid did, though.
dude put spoiler tags on that

jett said:
Does anyone know WTF is the deal with the Haven Troopers? That never gets explained in the game.

Liquid's private army, they wear power suits, and nano-machines ignite inside them when they die to burn 'em up so undersexed PMC/militia troops don't have sex with their corpses.

pel1300

Solideliquid said:
He didn't.

You know what I meant.
Ocelot was no longer himself after he started "pretending" to be Liquid.

And in MGS2, Liquid DID take over Ocelot. During the time Kojima was making MGS2, I bet you Kojima had no idea he was going to pull this hypnotism plot twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom