• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nooreo

pel1300 said:
You know what I meant.
Ocelot was no longer himself after he started "pretending" to be Liquid.

And in MGS2, Liquid DID take over Ocelot. During the time Kojima was making MGS2, I bet you Kojima had no idea he was going to pull this hypnotism plot twist.
HE KNEW

HE IS

GOD

GOD IS HE

Ourobolus

Banned
Sweet, finally finished my Big Boss Hard o/o/o/o run. Made in in about 5:20, and I'm pretty sure I know of some areas where I can knock off some time.

For now, though, I'm running through doing a rampage run on Liquid Easy. So much fun just running around with Stealth and the D.E. Long Barrel. Here I come, Chicken Emblem (and hopefully several others)! :D

Angelcurio

I can die happily now. Game of the Forever indeed. Just finished my first playthrough and the game was truly a masterpiece.

I was a little worried after in act 3 Big Boss was burned, i really wanted to see him in front of snake, so his appearance in the ending was an extremely pleasant surprise.

One of the things that i didn't like about the game was the lack of accents. I remember Naomi having an accent in MGS1, same thing for raven, mei ling, etc, while in this game they all talked like native speaking americans.

Nooreo

Ploid 3.0 said:
When you want the statue of the boss (the toy for sunny, and collect all bosses + the first frogs fight's statue for the solar gun) you have to kill the best form with none lethal weapons. If you kill the beast form with lethal weapons, and the human form with none lethal weapons it don't count as a kill at the end of the act. I don't know the description of the pigeon emblem though, so maybe it's not just "don't kill anybody".

Solar..gun?

Googles

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
neojubei said:
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh CRAP!

The credits.......

:lol

WORD!!! thats was my
OH SNAP, NO YOU DIDNT KOJIMA!!!!, i was all upset then the credits, then i was still upset at Big Boss, cause i thought the death to Liquid on the boat was so cheap for a LEGEND it made me angry!...... but yeah AMAZING!!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
jett said:
...the weird "aura" that emanates from their bodies when you kill them, or why they turn to dust. wtf are they?

My theory, they are liquid's own top personal army, they probably have different nanomachines working in them that is very different from anyone else. So if they are killed or captured, the nanomachines in them go into overdrive and burn the whole body.

snack said:
I love Mr and Mrs Smith.

That part alone was better than the real Mr. and Mrs. Smith movie.

SRG01

Wellington said:
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The (gameplay)mopening to Act 5 has me pulling my hair out.

It's right when you start on the Outer Haven. I ...kinda have no interest in sneaking through so I've been trying to blast my way in, but the last sequence in which I have to open that I get owned. My question: Is it even possible to do this by blasting through this sequence or do i need to sneak my way in?

That area has infinite respawns for both Gekko and Frogs if you trigger an alert.

Theoretically, it is possible if you're good enough and can tap triangle fast enough for the door.

Geoff9920

SRG01 said:
That area has infinite respawns for both Gekko and Frogs if you trigger an alert.

Theoretically, it is possible if you're good enough and can tap triangle fast enough for the door.
Just use the Grenade launcher. At least that's the way I did it. Bit expensive though.

keyrat

Question about act 5 boss fight:

When Psycho Mantis comes out and starts his little MGS1 tricks, there's a flashback that shows your controller. I have a white dualshock, and it showed a white dualshock. Seeing as that's not a standard controller, does it show a black dualshock if you're using a black one?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Wellington said:
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The (gameplay)mopening to Act 5 has me pulling my hair out.

It's right when you start on the Outer Haven. I ...kinda have no interest in sneaking through so I've been trying to blast my way in, but the last sequence in which I have to open that I get owned. My question: Is it even possible to do this by blasting through this sequence or do i need to sneak my way in?

:lol I tried the same thing its IMPOSSIBLE!

Equip the automatic sniper rifle and all silenced weapons AND MAGAZINES (empty bullet magazines to throw and make noise). I went down the right hand side! as soon as i seen the bitches jump from the top run up and climb the ladder and get the Octocamo going on.

Throw the carts to get the chicks to follow the noise, snipe em all go down the right hand side theres probly about 3-4 groups of 2 chicks you have to take out, climb the ladder on the left hand side before you go to where the gecko are and army roll onto the ventilation shaft, crouch and move along it, there will be a chick on the ramp above you! army roll onto the landing next to the end of the ventilation shaft, snipe that bitch on the ramp above you!....... then Army roll onto the other ventilation sharp, crawl along it theres a few weapons to get there, stay close to the wall on the right hand side, throw some more carts, there 2 groups of chicks you need to take out, take em out, climb down, stay on the right hand side, crawl ALL the way along the right hand side LOOK OUT FOR GEKKO.

You will get to near the door and another gecko will drop down, just sit there the Navy barrage will take it out if you wait long enough, then sneak up and open the door (make sure the other gecko is not looking!.

Nooreo

keyrat said:

When Psycho Mantis comes out and starts his little MGS1 tricks, there's a flashback that shows your controller. I have a white dualshock, and it showed a white dualshock. Seeing as that's not a standard controller, does it show a black dualshock if you're using a black one?

WOW
I have a black sixaxis and it showed a black sixaxis, this info is soo awsome :D

commissar

keyrat said:

it shows a black sixaxis if you're using a sixaxis, and a white DS3 but doesn't respond to colour variations (friend of mine had a White DS3 shown while he was using a silver DS3). The chipset in the DS3s wouldn't be colour specific as it would increase production costs significantly to match specific innards to specific shells.

I'm on my second playthrough at the moment, trying to unlock the bandanna and camo in one go :]

There's so much in this game :O (solar gun wtf?)

Darkpen

Banned
guys, I just did my playthrough for big boss hard, and according to the guide, you can
recover health by holding triangle when Ocelot does his taunt thing.

It really helps D: I mean, sure, he recovers health too, but still.

keyrat said:

I have black. showed white :)

Darkpen

Banned
keyrat said:

Nooreo said:
WOW
I have a black sixaxis and it showed a black sixaxis, this info is soo awsome :D
you idiot, he was asking if they show a black dualshock, not a sixaxis.

I was wondering about this too, since I also have a white dualshock. I imagine its always a white dualshock though. It'd be pretty cool if there was a way for the system to recognize what color the controller is, but until someone can confirm this, I have no idea.

Edit:
shagg_187 said:
I have black. showed white :)
I thought so

neojubei

This game made me look at the other MGS games with different eyes, a different perspective. Metal Gear solid isn't just a game series, it is an experience.

Struct09

keyrat said:

I have a black Dual Shock 3 and it showed a white one

neojubei

Kojima should collaborate with Bioware to make Mass Effect 2. Those Gekkos would be great in Mass Effect, they are more frightening than the Geth. Kojima could also help with direction and dialog.

Finished it tonight. Mind is completely blown. This is going to be a very very tough game to top. :)

Now the question... start replaying it, or get into MGO? :)

neojubei

Winterblink said:
Finished it tonight. Mind is completely blown. This is going to be a very very tough game to top. :)

Now the question... start replaying it, or get into MGO? :)

I feel the same way. After finishing this game, My question isn't does this game deserve a 10, my question is how someone could not give this game a 10. Out of all the games I've played this gen since the 360, MGS4 truly is at least for me, that deserves a 10.

Darkpen

Banned
tha_con said:
So far I've unlocked:

Stealth Camo
Bandanna
Solar Gun
Race Gun
Altari Outfit
L. Beauty Mask
R. Beauty Mas.
C. Beauty Mask
S. Beauty Mask
Raiden Mask A
Drebin Mask
Otacon Mask
Young Snake Mask
Y. Snake w/ Bandanna Mask

What am I still missing?

Also, is there ANYWHERE else to get Chaff? I've only got 4 chaff grenades, and I think I need more for my BB run.
raiden mask B, and
Big Boss

Draft

Finished this sucker up today.

Really enjoyed Act 1 and Act 2. Classic MGS gameplay is greatly enhanced with the new camera, shooting mechanics, Octocamo, Solid Eye, etc. Can you no longer use people as human shields with CQC? I couldn't get Snake to fire a gun while holding a guy. I really enjoyed doing that in MGS3.

Hated Act 3. Act 3 epitomizes everything BAD about Metal Gear. All flash and no substance.

Act 4 brought the sneaking back which was nice, but I did not like it as much as Act 1 or Act 2. No spoilers, but the enemies are very different, and just weren't as fun to fight IMO.

Act 5 is like, a little baby act. It was OK. I wasn't really digging the new mechanics they toss at you for the final battle. Thought MGS3 handled the final duel a lot better.

Cutscenes were really long. Every time a cutscene would transition to Hackers UI I would hit skip, because damned if I'm about to listen to a 5 minute lecture on nanomachines. Story was really convoluted. It's not hard to understand, but it was just too convoluted for me to care about. Reminded me of the last episode of Seinfeld, with every character who ever appeared showing up for their 5 minutes.

Can you no longer use people as human shields with CQC? I couldn't get Snake to fire a gun while holding a guy. I really enjoyed doing that in MGS3.

SRG01

Draft said:
Can you no longer use people as human shields with CQC? I couldn't get Snake to fire a gun while holding a guy. I really enjoyed doing that in MGS3.

Hold L1.

edit: Oh, and let go of R1 afterward.

Am I the only one who thinks Konami made a huge mistake in making the Act 1 Mission Briefing not part of the game, making the player leave the game entirely to watch it? I mean, I never knew it existed until after seeing the Act 2 briefing and wanting to go back in and explore it some. A friend of mine also missed it, and he almost stopped playing the game because he didn't understand anything that was going on. I bet most people playing the game won't dicover it at least until they are finished with Act 1; heck, I saw in this thread a couple people who didn't see it until after Act 3!

The briefing gives a good backstory for the game, tells you why the heck you are there, and is useful even explaining little things like what "PMC" stands for. The fact that the briefing is missing from the game (and especially that it has that "egg" scene which just seems to not make any sense without watching the briefing) is something that, as a game programmer, I'd definitely consider a bug.

AlphaTwo00 said:
Ditto.
Are you sure it checks, and the controllers have different color ID tags in hardware?

I don't think so. About all the system should be able to do is detect the SIXAXIS/DUALSHOCK3 difference.

It's probably:

black = if it detects SIXAXIS
white = if it detects DUALSHOCK3

Darkpen

Banned
SRG01 said:
I have a black sixaxis and it gave me a white one!! :(
...wait, you have a sixaxis, and you saw a white picture? Are you sure you didn't accidently turn on rumble in the PS button menu?

Does anyone have the PS3 memory card adaptor? I wonder if it can detect saves D:

I guess I will never understand the act 3 and act 4 hate, I still think they are the most brilliant moments of the game. Act 3 offers so much gameplay oppertunity its incredible.

Started Extreme mode now, they dont mess around in this mode, holy crap.

Dreamwriter said:
Am I the only one who thinks Konami made a huge mistake in making the Act 1 Mission Briefing not part of the game, making the player leave the game entirely to watch it? I mean, I never knew it existed until after seeing the Act 2 briefing and wanting to go back in and explore it some. A friend of mine also missed it, and he almost stopped playing the game because he didn't understand anything that was going on. I bet most people playing the game won't dicover it at least until they are finished with Act 1; heck, I saw in this thread a couple people who didn't see it until after Act 3!

The briefing gives a good backstory for the game, tells you why the heck you are there, and is useful even explaining little things like what "PMC" stands for. The fact that the briefing is missing from the game (and especially that it has that "egg" scene which just seems to not make any sense without watching the briefing) is something that, as a game programmer, I'd definitely consider a bug.

Well if you bothered to read the instruction manual it would tell you to go to breifing first, then start the game.

Dreamwriter said:

It's not just me, then. I watched the briefing last night, and I was very confused why I hadn't seen it before. I thought I had skipped it somehow.

Zerachiel

effingvic said:
any tips on what i can do if they are coming my way without sending off an alert? i usually just roll out, but then sometimes that's enough to call for an alert :|

also, love theme (ssbb) :( i want it. is that atleast an unlockable song in this game?

If you're going for a no alert playthrough, this won't work, but I often find that readying my tranq pistol works fairly well. They'll spot you and set off an alert, but if you can headshot tranq them fast enough, the other guards won't notice.

Zerachiel

Wellington said:

You can do it by blasting. Just keep hitting the geckos with your rail gun and eventually you should have enough breathing space to open the door.

Zerachiel

Kibbles said:
In the latest edition of Nuts magazine ( UK ) there is an interview with Christian Bale, in which he states he`s in the running to play Solid Snake in the 2009 movie Metal Gear Solid.

Source: http://mgs.moviechronicles.com/2007-09/christian-bale-as-snake/

Dun, Dun, Dun! I'm in favor of this.

WTH.

The only person that could ever voice Solid Snake is David Hayter. Dub his voice over the actual actor, if you must, but only he can do it.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Shinz Kicker said:
I call bullshit on the recover health in the last fight.

at least it doesnt work on BBE mode

It's there, it works. But it fills it up for BOTH of you, so it's not some super awesome secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom