• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

gantz85

Banned
dearapollo said:
I just bought the 80 gig PS3/mgs4 bundle, but for some reason mgs4 will not play. It just goes to a black screen after the PlayStation 3 logo and nothing happens. I can play my other PS3 games fine, and the disk is not scratched. Does anyone know what I can do about it, taking to game back would be to tough since I bought the bundle and I would have to exchange my ps3 as well.

Here in China, there is a widespread problem of retail outlets swapping built-in PS3 laser heads for inferior heads. For some reason, these inferior heads are sometimes able to only read single layer blu-rays and unable to read dual layer blu-rays. This was what happened to me.

You might want to check out your problem. It doesn't completely sound like the single/dual layer problem though.

Finally got around to beating the game tonight. It was easier than I thought it would be playing on Solid Normal.

The part I died the most at was at the very beginning, I believe right after you take off the robe and are able to use OctoCamo. I kept getting caught and died like 6 times in a row in the same place, haha. I think I just needed to get used to the controls because I had no problem with the rest of the game.

longdi

Banned
dun know why my thread was locked, think the mods want to post in official thread but have to put spoiler tag. thought the game is now 2 weeks old. oh well i repost again.

just completed the game on fine sunday.

i really think it is a 9/10 game more because the production values best i ever seen. for me personally, mgs3 was the best. the perfect evolution of mgs1 style and story. when i complete mgs4, i found there are no great characters like ocelot, the boss, naked snake, and even zero and volgin.

dont really cared about naomi dramatic death, or meryl and akiba copying POTC3. the story was as good as an attempt to wrap up mgs2 mess which is kind way to say mgs2 should NEVER EVER be made.

mgs4 had refined mgs mechanics to a point where you have so many options for gameplay but i found it was too easy. cant wait for Metal Gear 5. as long as they pull the camera back further :p

i dont care about the pixel counters because the graphics is very good but the loading system is bad! very very bad! the audio is why bluray is needed. comparing to GTA4, it is night and day difference!

havent played mgo yet, will do soon after unwrapping my mgs4 se bonus disc.

Ferrio

Banned
Baryn said:
If
Ocelot is trying to destroy The Patriots
, why
is he trying to kill Snake
for 20 hours of my life?

To convince the patriots he's a threat, so the patriots will supply Snake.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Baryn said:
If
, why
for 20 hours of my life?

Cause it seems that Snake is always inadvertantly on his own part being used as a pawn by the Patriots to STOP Ocelot from destroying them, the Patriots would have been destroyed a few times over if it wasnt for Snake.

Well thats how i see it.

GW was how Liquid was accessing the SOP system. Having Snake destroy it would make Liquid powerless over the system. Unfortunately for the Patriots, they hadn't anticipated just how effective the virus would be. It ultimately destroyed ALL the AIs, including big bad JD.

At least, that's how I think it went.

Baryn

Banned
Jack Scofield said:
GW was how Liquid was accessing the SOP system. Having Snake destroy it would make Liquid powerless over the system. Unfortunately for the Patriots, they hadn't anticipated just how effective the virus would be. It ultimately destroyed ALL the AIs, including big bad JD.

At least, that's how I think it went.
Yeah, I'm reading a synopsis of the last act, and it seems
the entire Shadow Moses revisting, and the fight at Haven, all amounted to just a giant staged move to distract The Patriots
. This is what I believed, but it seems a little drastic, eh?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Baryn said:
But Snake was going to
destroy GW
That doesn't also count as a threat?

They wanted GW to be destroyed because it was under Ocelots control and he was going to use it against them to knock all the others out so Ocelot would have sole control over everything with GW. Snake, Otacon etc had to go in and knock out GW (to stop Ocelot, not the Patriots) and thought Naomis virus was meant to just knock out GW but it ended up knocking them all out (Naomi wanted it to).

I thought all the bosses in the game were too easy, I beat a lot of them on my first try without even using a health item. I only spent a long time fighting Vamp and Screaming Mantis, but both of those are easy once you figure out what to do. I was a little disappointed by the last battle with Liquid Ocelot. The fist fight is expected, but I thought a crazy battle where i'd have to use a lot of ammunition would have preceded the fist fight.

longdi

Banned
I lost 0 hp fighting wolf and raven. :D the whole game is that easy. i can tranq the b&b bosses on first try when i never could in past mgs games.

mgs3 gameplay and story finale >>> mgs4 finale

Orlics

Apologies if it's already been posted but there's an article in the New York Times that talks about the game and whether or not video games can have political commentary, can tell stories as well as a movie/novel etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/w...14798400&en=96dbd2cb3b9b7ae1&ei=5070&emc=eta1

If there’s a subject that’s as contentious as war itself, it might be a video game about war.

It’s been just over a week since the release of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, the latest chapter in the popular video game series about a covert military agent named Solid Snake. And already, fans are exchanging rhetorical fusillades on the Internet, teasing out what the underlying political and philosophical messages of Metal Gear Solid 4 might be.

Encrypted within this discussion is a more sophisticated argument about the nascent medium of video games. Can it tell a story as satisfyingly as a work of cinema or literature?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dreamwriter said:
Am I the only one who thinks Konami made a huge mistake in making the Act 1 Mission Briefing not part of the game, making the player leave the game entirely to watch it? I mean, I never knew it existed until after seeing the Act 2 briefing and wanting to go back in and explore it some. A friend of mine also missed it, and he almost stopped playing the game because he didn't understand anything that was going on. I bet most people playing the game won't dicover it at least until they are finished with Act 1; heck, I saw in this thread a couple people who didn't see it until after Act 3!

The briefing gives a good backstory for the game, tells you why the heck you are there, and is useful even explaining little things like what "PMC" stands for. The fact that the briefing is missing from the game (and especially that it has that "egg" scene which just seems to not make any sense without watching the briefing) is something that, as a game programmer, I'd definitely consider a bug.
They should have more clearly indicated to the player that the Briefing existed. I think it's pretty obvious that it was not included during the introduction as they wanted to kick off the game with a bang. The cutscenes become quite long later on, but I don't think they wanted to bog down the introduction with a briefing.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Baryn said:
If
, why
for 20 hours of my life?
ummmm, because
Snake was also trying to kill Ocelot?

I just beat the game and all I can say is 'wow'. There's two things I'm not sure about though. Was
Ocelot just pretending to be Liquid all along?
And if so what was the point of doing so? Another thing I wasn't sure about was why Naomi
went back to Liquid/Ocelot during Act 3 if she was really on Snake's side

psycho_snake

Dreamwriter said:
Am I the only one who thinks Konami made a huge mistake in making the Act 1 Mission Briefing not part of the game, making the player leave the game entirely to watch it? I mean, I never knew it existed until after seeing the Act 2 briefing and wanting to go back in and explore it some. A friend of mine also missed it, and he almost stopped playing the game because he didn't understand anything that was going on. I bet most people playing the game won't dicover it at least until they are finished with Act 1; heck, I saw in this thread a couple people who didn't see it until after Act 3!

The briefing gives a good backstory for the game, tells you why the heck you are there, and is useful even explaining little things like what "PMC" stands for. The fact that the briefing is missing from the game (and especially that it has that "egg" scene which just seems to not make any sense without watching the briefing) is something that, as a game programmer, I'd definitely consider a bug.
There's an act 1 briefing? Never knew that. Can you watch it in the mission briefing section in the main menu?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
so I just finished act 2 last night and ....
The chase sequence was fun and all, but the part where I was supposed to "shoot the gate!", as Hal put it, was annoying beyond all sanity. I shot at it for a good 30 sec. and every 7th-8th second Hal would scream "shoot the gate, Snake!" or one other line... It just seemed like I was spending way too much time there compared to what they thought designing it. But I was more or less just shooting the fooking gate all the time! There were other instances as well were Hal just jumps in and screams a fucking mantra over and over, or telling me to go the other way.
Fuk Hal. :mad:

Darkpen

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
I just beat the game and all I can say is 'wow'. There's two things I'm not sure about though. Was
Ocelot just pretending to be Liquid all along?
And if so what was the point of doing so? Another thing I wasn't sure about was why Naomi
Ocelot was pretending to be Liquid to trick the Patriots and lure their view away from Ocelot's true goal (as well as what Eva and Naomi were trying to achieve).

There's a lot to digest with the ending, but just know that no one was really a "bad guy," they were all just trying to end the Patriots' reign.

1stStrike

Banned
Man, one thing is for sure. I've seen the same 3 or 4 questions about 19,000 times in this thread ><

There's a couple things I forgot to mention though that I'm noticing on my 4th play through.

When Meryl gets pissed off about Campbell being involved and flips out, I'm pretty sure sop takes over and forces her to calm down. Cause you can hear the same sound during that scene as she calms down that you hear in other scenes where the sop system is involved.

Meryl and her team rely on the system 100% and she bitches snake out in act 3, but she gets owned at the end of it when ocelot shuts everyones weapons down. I just wanted snake to be like, "And that's what you get, bitch." Cause she WAS being a bitch.

Nothing major, but just some observations.

I've been playing around on liquid normal having a blast with all the extras I've earned so far. By the time I'm done with this play through the only thing I shouldn't have yet is the assassins badge. I'll get that when I play on big boss hard (going to complete the game on every difficulty).

Darkpen

Banned
psycho_snake said:
There's an act 1 briefing? Never knew that. Can you watch it in the mission briefing section in the main menu?
as someone who followed the thread when dabookerman got the game, I checked out the act 1's mission briefing before I started New Game. To be honest, it was awfully long, and I wanted to get to the gameplay already.

1stStrike said:
Man, one thing is for sure. I've seen the same 3 or 4 questions about 19,000 times in this thread ><

There's a couple things I forgot to mention though that I'm noticing on my 4th play through.

When Meryl gets pissed off about Campbell being involved and flips out, I'm pretty sure sop takes over and forces her to calm down. Cause you can hear the same sound during that scene as she calms down that you hear in other scenes where the sop system is involved.

Meryl and her team rely on the system 100% and she bitches snake out in act 3, but she gets owned at the end of it when ocelot shuts everyones weapons down. I just wanted snake to be like, "And that's what you get, bitch." Cause she WAS being a bitch.

Nothing major, but just some observations.

I've been playing around on liquid normal having a blast with all the extras I've earned so far. By the time I'm done with this play through the only thing I shouldn't have yet is the assassins badge. I'll get that when I play on big boss hard (going to complete the game on every difficulty).
all I've got to ask is "how old are you?"

psycho_snake

darkpaladinmfc said:
Another thing I wasn't sure about was why Naomi
I'm not too sure about this either.

And I've completely forgotten
Where Snake got the virus from. I know naomi made it, but I cant remember her giving it to them

Darkpen

Banned
psycho_snake said:
I'm not too sure about this either.

And I've completely forgotten
Where Snake got the virus from. I know naomi made it, but I cant remember her giving it to them
Pop in MGS1 and watch the mission briefing.

psycho_snake

Brobzoid said:
so I just finished act 2 last night and ....
The chase sequence was fun and all, but the part where I was supposed to "shoot the gate!", as Hal put it, was annoying beyond all sanity. I shot at it for a good 30 sec. and every 7th-8th second Hal would scream "shoot the gate, Snake!" or one other line... It just seemed like I was spending way too much time there compared to what they thought designing it. But I was more or less just shooting the fooking gate all the time! There were other instances as well were Hal just jumps in and screams a fucking mantra over and over, or telling me to go the other way.
Fuk Hal. :mad:
I think there were explosive barrels next to the gate that blow it open if you shoot them

1stStrike

Banned
Darkpen said:
as someone who followed the thread when dabookerman got the game, I checked out the act 1's mission briefing before I started New Game. To be honest, it was awfully long, and I wanted to get to the gameplay already.

all I've got to ask is "how old are you?"

It's full of some background info that I found interesting and it's also the only way to get
one of the batteries and campbells face camo.

How old are you? I don't see how my age is of any relevance here.

Raist

Banned
Well, beat it yesterday, and the last 2 hours or so (especially the last fight) was the most epic shit I've ever seen.

I really liked the ending. I don't see any retcon or anything, nor anoy non sense.

Oh, and regarding
the graves, of course they are The Boss' and Big Boss'. I don't see what else they could be

psycho_snake

Darkpen said:
Pop in MGS1 and watch the mission briefing.
I think you misunderstood me. I'm talking about
The GW virus. Naomi made it, but when did she actually hand it over to snake and otacon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom