• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raist

Banned
Brobzoid said:
when you complete the game is there unlocked an option for playing the game that has the game end if you're detected? I really like that mode in the previous mgs.

Nope. IIRC this was the european extreme mode in MGS2 and 3 (not sure about 3 tho).
No european extreme this time :/

tha_con

Banned
MGS4: Guns of the Patriots Theme

http://rapidshare.com/files/124328107/MGS4_Guns_of_the_Patriots.p3t.html

preview.png

Hope you guy's enjoy!

Edit: Hopefully sounds will be coming at a later date. Until then, enjoy folks!

Say that I grabbed the camera during Act 2 my first play thru. Anyway to get the digital camera from Act 4 with the pics now? I can't find it anywhere :(.

Flunkie

Banned
I just beat it for the first time. I took my time on my first playthrough, exploring every nook and cranny and getting every last drop of gameplay and content.

I can now safely say that MGS4 is the greatest game of all time. There are no words to explain how I feel about this game.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
tha_con said:
Thanks for the correction.

As for his opinion, the reason I say it's 'stupid' is for two reasons.

1. Shawn wants games to be HL2. He wants that presentation, or nothing at all. If it isn't HL2, it's "not the language of the medium".

2. Calling a game 'preachy' is a stretch. Especially coming from a fan of Bioshock, which tells a story of the dangers of "genetic engineering" and a controlled Utopia.

Honestly, his opinions never come off as subjective, they come off as "this shit isn't HL2, fuck this, it's lame". Then he covers it up with a wishy washy 'oh but I did enjoy this'. Even on his blog he opens with the negative, then follows with a weak list of 'things he enjoyed'.
Too true!!!!

tha_con

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
guys I am stuck on
Rage
in Act 3? what is the best way to beat that Chick/dude?

If you'er going for a tranq kill, the best way is to turn on auto aim and use a silenced M4 to take out her buddies, and then immediately hide after you kill one. This is best done at the very top of the tower, you can hide to the immediate left of the doorway that leads to the roof (just make sure you have on your mask and press against the wall while crouching). This will give you 99%. Just kill one of her buddies, then hide, she'll pop up, wait for a minute, and then fly away. While she's flying, you can hit her with the Mosin Nagant.

Conversely, you can just 'duke it out' with her and hit her with the Mk2, but it's a little harder and takes a lot more time.

If that's not an issue, just beat her down with anything you have and constantly hide behind cover, the top area (mentioned earlier) is really good for hiding from her assault (and that of her flying partners).

That's how I did it, but I'm sure someone else has a better way to do it, lol.

SMZC

I finished the game last night, and I'm very disappointed. This is probably the game I've been most excited about in my entire life, but it's without a doubt my least favorite game of the series.

My main complaint is the story. Instead of creating what he wanted to create like he did in MGS1, MGS2 and even MGS3, Kojima tried to please all of its fans by making a story that seems more like a ridiculous fanfic than an actual MGS game.

I won't write any spoilers, but the identities of the Patriots couldn't be more ridiculous. Other explanations such as Liquid taking over Ocelot don't make any sense if you take into consideration the events of MGS2. Overall, it seems like Kojima wanted to please those who have complained about the super natural things of the series instead of making a storyline that is actually compelling and consistent.

There's a serious lack of surprising and well done plot twists; nearly every plot twist in this game was already predicted by some of the countless theories that popped up before the game's release. Remember in MGS1 when we were told that the DARPA Chief was actually Decoy Octopus? Or Raiden's appearance? Or the S3 plan? Those were the days. These twists were actually surprising, and not only that, but they were consistent with the games' stories. Sure, nearly every game in the series has at least one plot twist that is pretty stupid, but in MGS4 I can't think of a single decent one. The game doesn't even try to create new and memorable characters or storylines like MGS3 did; it just takes the ones from the previous games of the series and creates from it an inconsistent mess, all in the name of "wrapping the series up".

Regarding the cut-scenes, in my opinion this is the game with the least memorable ones. The one at the end of act 3 is incredible, and most of them are very well directed, as usual; but I've found MGS4 to be the one with less memorable situations, and that ironic given that it has more cinematics than any other MGS game. There's also a ridiculous amount of melodrama, even for MGS' standards, and this is coming from someone who adores MGS3's ending.

The gameplay is pretty good. Acts 1 and 2 are fantastic, the very pinnacle of the series. Act 3 wasn't as awesome, but it was still good, and act 4 isn't very interesting from a gameplay standpoint, but its nostalgic values make up for it. The bosses are pure genius, very memorable and fun to fight; it's a pity there's so few of them, but I like them much better than MGS3's and MGS2's. The two chase scenes are also impressive, whether we're talking about the gameplay or the cinematic aspect, and this is coming from one of those weird guys that found MGS3's chase scene to be boring. Oh, and the weapon system is impressive and full of possibilities, too.

So, overall, I'll certainly be playing MGS4 for a long time, but only because of the gameplay. I think it's a pity that the best part of it ends with act 2, but I still have to admit the impressive work Koji Pro has done in this regard. The storyline, though... I'll never get over it. I think it's horrible, and as an MGS fan, I'm ashamed of having to call this game the conclusion of Solid Snake's history. Maybe the series will go back to being awesome with completely new characters and plots, free of the fans' demands? I surely hope so.

atomico

just beat
laughing octopus
. Used rocket launchers, grenades, shotguns...I forgot how fun not being sneaky or going for stamina drain was :lol

game's kicking my ass both figuratively (graphics, sound, story) and literarily (got killed left and right, especially early on). And I'm loving every second of it

I'm actually thiking of buying the game again, just for "sales +1" :D

roxya

atomico said:
I'm actually thiking of buying the game again, just for "sales +1" :D

Actually the first thing I thought after beating it was that I should have bought the LE. It's a travesty that we can buy this game for the same price of far lesser games.

JB1981

Mromson said:
yupp, weapons, items, costumes, DP and ipod music as well.
Wait a minute, I just tried to start a new game and i was not given the option to play with everything from my last playthrough.

Is it because I chose a higher difficulty?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
This game is great, except for the long drawn out movie bullshit.

Some scenes are great. Some are an absolute snorefest. Is this being counted as part of the 20 some hours of gameplay? If so, the game appears it's only going to be about 10 real hours of gameplay if true.

Stealth action is a lot of fun. Splinter Cell could learn a thing or two from the actual real gameplay.

tha_con

Banned
SMZC said:
I finished the game last night, and I'm very disappointed. This is probably the game I've been most excited about in my entire life, but it's without a doubt my least favorite game of the series.

My main complaint is the story. Instead of creating what he wanted to create like he did in MGS1, MGS2 and even MGS3, Kojima tried to please all of its fans by making a story that seems more like a ridiculous fanfic than an actual MGS game.

I won't write any spoilers, but the identities of the Patriots couldn't be more ridiculous. Other explanations such as Liquid taking over Ocelot don't make any sense if you take into consideration the events of MGS2. Overall, it seems like Kojima wanted to please those who have complained about the super natural things of the series instead of making a storyline that is actually compelling and consistent.

There's a serious lack of surprising and well done plot twists; nearly every plot twist in this game was already predicted by some of the countless theories that popped up before the game's release. Remember in MGS1 when we were told that the DARPA Chief was actually Decoy Octopus? Or Raiden's appearance? Or the S3 plan? Those were the days. These twists were actually surprising, and not only that, but they were consistent with the games' stories. Sure, nearly every game in the series has at least one plot twist that is pretty stupid, but in MGS4 I can't think of a single decent one. The game doesn't even try to create new and memorable characters or storylines like MGS3 did; it just takes the ones from the previous games of the series and creates from it an inconsistent mess, all in the name of "wrapping the series up".

Regarding the cut-scenes, in my opinion this is the game with the least memorable ones. The one at the end of act 3 is incredible, and most of them are very well directed, as usual; but I've found MGS4 to be the one with less memorable situations, and that ironic given that it has more cinematics than any other MGS game. There's also a ridiculous amount of melodrama, even for MGS' standards, and this is coming from someone who adores MGS3's ending.

The gameplay is pretty good. Acts 1 and 2 are fantastic, the very pinnacle of the series. Act 3 wasn't as awesome, but it was still good, and act 4 isn't very interesting from a gameplay standpoint, but its nostalgic values make up for it. The bosses are pure genius, very memorable and fun to fight; it's a pity there's so few of them, but I like them much better than MGS3's and MGS2's. The two chase scenes are also impressive, whether we're talking about the gameplay or the cinematic aspect, and this is coming from one of those weird guys that found MGS3's chase scene to be boring. Oh, and the weapon system is impressive and full of possibilities, too.

So, overall, I'll certainly be playing MGS4 for a long time, but only because of the gameplay. I think it's a pity that the best part of it ends with act 2, but I still have to admit the impressive work Koji Pro has done in this regard. The storyline, though... I'll never get over it. I think it's horrible, and as an MGS fan, I'm ashamed of having to call this game the conclusion of Solid Snake's history. Maybe the series will go back to being awesome with completely new characters and plots, free of the fans' demands? I surely hope so.

Yea, I'm sure YOU knew that Snake wouldn't kill himself, that Ocelot was pretending, and that Big Boss would come back to life at the end of the game.

Also, did you NOT play Portable Ops? Because you pretty much learn of the Patriots then, when Ocelot tells Zero he wants Big Boss to join them.

Honestly, if you think this is a 'fan fic' I think you need to go back and pay more attention, as well as play MGS: PO. You're obviously missing something.

Mromson

JB1981 said:
Wait a minute, I just tried to start a new game and i was not given the option to play with everything from my last playthrough.

Is it because I chose a higher difficulty?
Higher Difficulty only limits your max ammo supply. You recieve all your items/camo/weapons when you meet up with the Mk.II.

No_Style

Diablos said:
You really think? If they're plotholes and there can be no valid explanation... wow... those are some HUGE plotholes

I don't imagine the Patriots have that much surveillance power. If they did, a lot of stuff would fall apart. For example, if they had constant surveillance on every person, how did Naomi even write the virus in the first place let alone record that video.

Taking that into account, I assume they don't have a means of tapping into communication between Otacon, Snake and/or the Mk. II.

SMZC

tha_con said:
Yea, I'm sure YOU knew that Snake wouldn't kill himself, that Ocelot was pretending, and that Big Boss would come back to life at the end of the game.

Also, did you NOT play Portable Ops? Because you pretty much learn of the Patriots then, when Ocelot tells Zero he wants Big Boss to join them.

Honestly, if you think this is a 'fan fic' I think you need to go back and pay more attention, as well as play MGS: PO. You're obviously missing something.

Granted, I didn't know that Snake wouldn't pull the trigger. But are you serious about the other twists? I've seen the Ocelot one several times in a few forums, and Big Boss returning is something that pretty much everybody has thought about at least once. Oh, and the fact that he comes back is stupid, too. Just fanservice for the sake of it, nothing more.

Yes, I've played Portable Ops. But Zero being the founder of the Patriots was just too ridiculous for me to believe it, so I just throught that Kojima would surprise everybody with something different. Obviously, MGS4 proved me wrong.

And don't even get me started on Sigint and Para-Medic being Patriots too. It's like every fucking secondary character of MGS3 eventually became a frigging Patriot.

SMZC said:
Granted, I didn't know that Snake wouldn't pull the trigger. But are you serious about the other twists? I've seen the Ocelot one several times in a few forums, and Big Boss returning is something that pretty much everybody has thought about at least once. Oh, and the fact that he comes back is stupid, too. Just fanservice for the sake of it, nothing more.

Yes, I've played Portable Ops. But Zero being the founder of the Patriots was just too ridiculous for me to believe it, so I just throught that Kojima would surprise everybody with something different. Obviously, MGS4 proved me wrong.

And don't even get me started on Sigint and Para-Medic being Patriots too. It's like every fucking secondary character of MGS3 eventually became a frigging Patriot.

Sigint and Para-Medic weren't Patriots, they just helped out with the Les Enfant Terrible project. I was pretty surprised with Sigint being the Darpa Chief though. :p

Leshita said:
Sigint and Para-Medic weren't Patriots, they just helped out with the Les Enfant Terrible project. I was pretty surprised with Sigint being the Darpa Chief though. :p
uh
they were founding members of the patriots with zero, thats WHY they were involved with the project.

No_Style

Dax01 said:
I don't very much like the beginning of act 3.

Don't mean to point you out, but would you mind explaining why?

I mean, it's ostensibly unlike any of the other acts or any other Metal Gear segment for that matter. I found it refreshing and I loved the setting and atmosphere.

I'm curious as to why some people are so down on it.

BobTheFork said:
uh
they were founding members of the patriots with zero, thats WHY they were involved with the project.

Oh, were they? I totally forgot now (and I just beat the game a couple of days ago too :p), I only recall Big Boss, Ocelot, Eva, and Zero... I guess because I do not consider Sigint and Para-Medic to be significant characters. :/

Leshita said:
Oh, were they? I totally forgot now (and I just beat the game a couple of days ago too :p), I only recall Big Boss, Ocelot, Eva, and Zero... I guess because I do not consider Sigint and Para-Medic to be significant characters. :/
yeah niether do i. However, they were Patriots just like Eva and Ocelot. There is a scene where they show everyone's pictures together, and mention ocelot was the man on the outside.

tha_con

Banned
SMZC said:

So once one of the millions upon MILLIONS of fans come comes up with an 'in the ball park' prediction of what will happen, it's now less lackluster? That's ridiculous.

Everyone may have THOUGHT about Big Boss returning, but at the point in the game when that is presented to you, you are completely fooled. I'm sure you thought it was Big Boss in Act 3. Everyone did. If you're going to tell me you saw right through that, then I'm going to call BS.

Did you also predict that Johnny and Meryl would get married? That Rose was never really married to COL Campbell, and that Raiden had a son?

Did it not surprise you when Eva died so suddenly in the game? To find out that the Patriots set up a virus to eliminate Ocelot, Eva, and Big Boss (be Solidus or Big Boss himself).

You weren't the least bit surprised when Naomi killer herself? You saw that coming huh? I'm sure Kojima was thinking "hey, let's do the fans a favor, and kill Naomi Hunter! While we're at it, let's put an end to Eva's life, and kill off Ocelot too! Hell, let's bring back Big Boss, and KILL HIM SECONDS LATER!

The game had plenty of twists.

Edit: You might want to listen to this as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyau8OSJ8Hg

It's all the MGS phone calls, and the one from PO clearly illustrates that Ocelot, Big Boss, and Zero are all part of the patriots...How you thought this was 'outrageous' I will never know.

SMZC

Leshita said:

And that's exactly the problem. You know there's something wrong when Kojima has to resort to such insignificant characters to explain
the Patriots' origins.

jet1911

No_Style said:

I mean, it's ostensibly unlike any of the other acts or any other Metal Gear segment for that matter. I found it refreshing and I loved the setting and atmosphere.

It's way too long. It feels more like babysitting the guy than following/tracking him.

SMZC said:
And that's exactly the problem. You know there's something wrong when Kojima has to resort to such insignificant characters to explain
the Patriots' origins.
Something is wrong?!?! WAT? It makes perfect sense that
they would be the one that want to inact the will of The Boss, they were the ones closest to the mission and the only people besides Naked Snake that know what really happened. Its actually great writing that it ties into the other game. Bad writing would have been creating new characters to be the first patriots.
I would hardly call them insignificant, especially since technically
Sigint was in MGS1 as well

No_Style

SMZC said:
the Patriots' origins.

I don't understand why that's hard to believe.
They were essentially a team in support of Naked Snake during Operation Snake Eater. Why is it so farfetched to believe that they would all team up and form a group?

jet1911 said:
It's way too long. It feels more like babysitting the guy than following/tracking him.

Really? I thought the length was fine. Thanks for the input, though.

Diablos said:
You really think? If they're plotholes and there can be no valid explanation... wow... those are some HUGE plotholes
I've been going over a lot of things in this game, and I can tell you - straight up, that there's no official canon answer for the things you pointed out.

zenbot

I am amazed at the character models in this game. How do Kojipro manage to get characters to look so good? They make the characters in just about every other game look amateurish.

j-wood

I really want to play portable ops. I can't find it in any store I go to, and ever online site says it is out of stock. Has it been discontinued or something? :(

No_Style said:

Atmosphere is good, but it just seems so... slow compared to the other acts. ESPECIALLY after act 2 finished off with the
Vamp v. Raiden fight

Btw, I'm fucking lost at the beginning act 3:
I lost the guy I was following. Somebody help!

jet1911

zenbot said:
I am amazed at the character models in this game. How do Kojipro manage to get characters to look so good? They make the characters in just about every other game look amateurish.

It was the same with MGS3, the characters models were better than almost every other game at that time.

SMZC

tha_con said:
So once one of the millions upon MILLIONS of fans come comes up with an 'in the ball park' prediction of what will happen, it's now less lackluster? That's ridiculous.

Everyone may have THOUGHT about Big Boss returning, but at the point in the game when that is presented to you, you are completely fooled. I'm sure you thought it was Big Boss in Act 3. Everyone did. If you're going to tell me you saw right through that, then I'm going to call BS.

Did you also predict that Johnny and Meryl would get married? That Rose was never really married to COL Campbell, and that Raiden had a son?

Did it not surprise you when Eva died so suddenly in the game? To find out that the Patriots set up a virus to eliminate Ocelot, Eva, and Big Boss (be Solidus or Big Boss himself).

You weren't the least bit surprised when Naomi killer herself? You saw that coming huh? I'm sure Kojima was thinking "hey, let's do the fans a favor, and kill Naomi Hunter! While we're at it, let's put an end to Eva's life, and kill off Ocelot too! Hell, let's bring back Big Boss, and KILL HIM SECONDS LATER!

The game had plenty of twists.

I'm not talking just about surprising plot twists. I'm talking about plot twists that are both surprising and consistent. Kojima could have said that kermit the frog was the actual founder of the Patriots, and though surprising, that wouldn't have made a good plot twist.

Big Boss' comeback was surprising because a few seconds before that cut-scene you already think that the game is over. Kojima tried to make it more surprising by playing with that and with the corpse in EVA's possession, but the idea of Big Boss coming back by itself is predictable and nothing more than mere fan service.

BobTheFork said:
Something is wrong?!?! WAT? It makes perfect sense that
they would be the one that want to inact the will of The Boss, they were the ones closest to the mission and the only people besides Naked Snake that know what really happened. Its actually great writing that it ties into the other game. Bad writing would have been creating new characters to be the first patriots.

Sigint and Para-medic didn't learn about the truth behind The Boss' death, at least according to MGS3, and it's not like Portable Ops says the opposite.

This is actually horrible writting in my opinion because these characters were never interested in The Boss. They were just some guys placed there to support Snake during his mission; they played minor roles, and we never learn much about them. They're not even actual soldiers, so how could they relate to The Boss or admire her even if they did learn about the truth?

It's pretty much the same thing with Zero. Granted, he was a soldier and he worked with The Boss when they were in the SAS, but if Kojima wanted to make him the founder of the Patriots he would have used the opportunity while making MGS3 to flesh out more his character and his relationship with The Boss. Instead, we got a very secondary and insignificant character whose only role in MGS3 is to serve as the british counterpart of colonel Campbell. And now with Portable Ops and MGS4 I just have to accept that he is the mastermind of the whole thing and the founder of the Patriots? Please.

No_Style

Dax01 said:
Atmosphere is good, but it just seems so... slow compared to the other acts. ESPECIALLY after act 2 finished off with the
Vamp v. Raiden fight

Btw, I'm fucking lost at the beginning act 3:
I lost the guy I was following. Somebody help!

That's understandable. It's jolting to have the game shift gears like that.
Bring up the Signal Interceptor and wait a bit. A report of another guy being spotted will eventually come up.

Cartman86

Banned
tha_con said:
I'm pretty passionate about everything :lol

MGS...probably more so.

Pretty much agree with everything you said.

Bringing back Big Boss on the surface seems stupid, but how it plays out (after credits) and what happens to him just worked. Sure it took a little too long to die, but everything came full circle, and that was the point. Standing next to The Bosses grave and making his peace with both Snake and The Boss.

No_Style said:
That's understandable. It's jolting to have the game shift gears like that.
Bring up the Signal Interceptor and wait a bit. A report of another guy being spotted will eventually come up.
Thanks. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad by any means, it just isn't as good as what I was playing before. I'm sure if the game started off like this, I would be enjoying it, but not in the middle. I guess I am just trying to rush through it to get to the next cutscene (story is awesome). Hopefully on my next playthrough I'll enjoy it more.

tha_con

Banned
SMZC said:
I'm not talking just about surprising plot twists. I'm talking about plot twists that are both surprising and consistent. Kojima could have said that kermit the frog was the actual founder of the Patriots, and though surprising, that wouldn't have made a good plot twist.

Big Boss' comeback was surprising because a few seconds before that cut-scene you already think that the game is over. Kojima tried to make it more surprising by playing with that and with the corpse in EVA's possession, but the idea of Big Boss coming back by itself is predictable and nothing more than mere fan service.

Sigint and Para-medic didn't learn about the truth behind The Boss' death, at least according to MGS3, and it's not like Portable Ops says the opposite.

This is actually horrible writting in my opinion because these characters were never interested in The Boss. They were just some guys placed there to support Snake during his mission; they played minor roles, and we never learn much about them. They're not even actual soldiers, so how could they relate to The Boss or admire her even if they did learn about the truth?

It's pretty much the same thing with Zero. Granted, he was a soldier and he worked with The Boss when they were in the SAS, but if Kojima wanted to make him the founder of the Patriots he would have used the opportunity while making MGS3 to flesh out more his character and his relationship with The Boss. Instead, we got a very secondary and insignificant character whose only role in MGS3 is to serve as the british counterpart of colonel Campbell. And now with Portable Ops and MGS4 I just have to accept that he is the mastermind of the whole thing and the founder of the Patriots? Please.

You're saying Sigint and Para-medic are nobody's, even though Sigint was the DARPA chief, and Para-medic was the one who created Gray fox?

You think they are just random people?

I think this debate is done, I'll let you stick to your devices, but you're way off the mark.

SMZC

tha_con said:
You're saying Sigint and Para-medic are nobody's, even though Sigint was the DARPA chief, and Para-medic was the one who created Gray fox?

You think they are just random people?

You see, that's part of the problem too. Kojima didn't have characters that were fleshed out, so he basically told us that they were some characters from an older game, despite of that not making any sense. For example, did you know that the DARPA Chief was 40 or 50 years old during Shadow Moses? And do you realize that Sigint can't be less than 60 during Shadow Moses? As I said, this is just horrible writting.

Also, I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe that the same Para-medic from MGS3 would eventually become the person that tortures Gray Fox by experimenting on his undying body while having him drugged for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom