• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

keyrat

Dax01 said:
Thanks. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad by any means, it just isn't as good as what I was playing before. I'm sure if the game started off like this, I would be enjoying it, but not in the middle. I guess I am just trying to rush through it to get to the next cutscene (story is awesome). Hopefully on my next playthrough I'll enjoy it more.

As an alternative solution, what I did is I just went around killing
every PMC in that part, and I even killed the resistance member a few times. I never even used the signal interceptor. After all the PMCs are dead you can go find a new resistance member walking around. Just make sure you follow the resistance member when you're switching areas, and when you're done killing all the PMCs in one area, go back to where you first entered. A new resistance member should be around. I actually thought it was a bit lackluster not because of the sneaking, but because when the PMCs call for backup none actually arrives, so it's easy to kill them all.

keyrat

Oh, and you guys sound like a bunch of lame Star Wars fans discussing inconsistencies. Just enjoy it for face value, don't go back looking at every detail in the other games to see how they don't match up.

No_Style

SMZC said:
Also, I'm sorry, but I refuse to believe that the same Para-medic from MGS3 would eventually become the person that tortures Gray Fox by experimenting on his undying body while having him drugged for years.

Leave that to MGS5. :lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Did anybody tear up when
Otacon was crying when he saw Niaomi at the end on the virus video feed?

Darkpen

Banned
tha_con said:
You weren't the least bit surprised when Naomi killer herself? You saw that coming huh? I'm sure Kojima was thinking "hey, let's do the fans a favor, and kill Naomi Hunter! While we're at it, let's put an end to Eva's life, and kill off Ocelot too! Hell, let's bring back Big Boss, and KILL HIM SECONDS LATER!
....actually, I sort of did see Naomi dying in some way at some point, though I was hoping it wouldn't happen. It was sort of expected the moment she became Hal's love interest, lol D:

Darkpen

Banned
tha_con said:
Quoted for metalmania4ever, and anyone else who's looking for it.
ooooooh, does it have MGS4 menu sound effects too?

mckmas8808 said:
Did anybody tear up when
I didn't at that particular moment, but I did cry a whole lot throughout the ending of the game.

Id.

mckmas8808 said:
Did anybody tear up when
I did! I teared up more when
I heard Snake pull the trigger after putting the gun in his mouth. Hearing the gunshot made me get teary eyed...it didn't help that I felt sad!

Then after the credits, I felt a bit better because he didn't really shoot himself!

Darkpen

Banned
tha_con said:
MGS4: Guns of the Patriots Theme

http://rapidshare.com/files/124328107/MGS4_Guns_of_the_Patriots.p3t.html

preview.png

Hope you guy's enjoy!

Edit: Hopefully sounds will be coming at a later date. Until then, enjoy folks!
did you download the compiler that's included in the playstation blog zip file for ps3 theme making?

edit: oh... it doesn't show how D:!

you should try asking m0dus, he's added sounds to his themes before

Darkpen

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Did anybody tear up when
to be honest, the crying that Otacon does in MGS4 isn't very convincing, or at least, its not as convincing as it was in MGS2, IMO. The acting and the face.... I dunno. It sort of broke the illusion for me, but I did feel sympathy for poor Otacon. I wanted him to be happy :(

mckmas8808 said:
Probably hates Naomi

Darkpen

Banned
U K Narayan said:
I've disliked her since the first Metal Gear Solid. Her selfish motives became pretty well ingrained at the time.

Plus, I thought that entire scene was pretty unconvincing. I felt it was over-dramatic.
the way I see it, she slowly realized her wrongs during the course of the mission, and more or less grew to regret her actions. You really can't blame her, though.

Personally, the acting for Otacon was what broke both
Naomi-related
scenes for me.

trilobyte

I got the game yesterday. So far it's cool, but I don't think I dig this new camera. I never played MGS3, so I dunno if the free-roaming cam is new to the series in MGS4 but I really liked the fix cam of the old games. I'm also not used to the radar system. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but didn't the radar used to give you the enemies view range?

I also must be REALLY rusty cause I die a lot >_<

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
U K Narayan said:
I've disliked her since the first Metal Gear Solid. Her selfish motives became pretty well ingrained at the time.

Plus, I thought that entire scene was pretty unconvincing. I felt it was over-dramatic.

The scene was great. The 2nd one. The way Kojima played it out was very well done.

Formless

Yeah I agree about the whole thing with the Patriots

They should've been more than the MGS3 support team, more business tycoons/evil politicians please. The characters in MGS4 besides Snake and Naomi weren't really fleshed out, which is a downer. (Vamp's motivations, more of good ol' Otacon, etc)

Solo

SMZC said:
My main complaint is the story. Instead of creating what he wanted to create like he did in MGS1, MGS2 and even MGS3, Kojima tried to please all of its fans by making a story that seems more like a ridiculous fanfic than an actual MGS game..

My main complaint too, but be prepared to be dragged over the coals for this opinion. Hell, the leader of the MGS4 defense force put me on ignore for it :lol

Best MGS game from a gameplay perspective, worst MGS game from a story perspective is how I like to break it down, quick and easy.

Struct09

Darkpen said:
the way I see it, she slowly realized her wrongs during the course of the mission, and more or less grew to regret her actions. You really can't blame her, though.

Naomi-related
scenes for me.

What broke the scene for me is
that I just didn't "feel" their relationship. It seemed short lived, so it was hard to get emotionally attached to it.

J2 Cool

Darkpen said:
to be honest, the crying that Otacon does in MGS4 isn't very convincing, or at least, its not as convincing as it was in MGS2, IMO. The acting and the face.... I dunno. It sort of broke the illusion for me, but I did feel sympathy for poor Otacon. I wanted him to be happy :(

Probably hates Naomi

:lol
It's really not convincing at all. And all because he slept with her one night. He must be a clingy guy.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Darkpen said:
Naomi-related
scenes for me.

Yeah, he came off as a
whiny, whimpering
little
bitch
. Very grating and borderline irritating. Of course, the follow up more than makes up for it and right up until the last moment of
Act 4
, I was rocking such a massive
boner

J2 Cool said:
It's really not convincing at all. And all because he slept with her one night. He must be a clingy guy.

Well when your only companions are Old Snake and a little girl who makes nasty eggs you'll take what you can get and hold on to it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
urk said:
Yeah, he came off as a
whiny, whimpering
little
bitch
. Very grating and borderline irritating. Of course, the follow up more than makes up for it and right up until the last moment of
Act 4
, I was rocking such a massive
boner

OTACON is a
whiny little bitch. Dude has pissed himself a number of times. People say that Raiden was supposed to be MGS2's everyman, but the everyman was and always has been OTACON. By everyman I of course mean "everygamer." Make no mistake about it-- gamers disliked seeing themselves as Raiden, a helpless, immature, manipulated little fart but completely ignored that OTACON was the truer reflection of themselves. And it was hilarious!

Did no one else think that Naomi collapsing with the Mk 2 in her arms was some kind of nerd erotica? Ohhhh Naomi carress my electriboner ohhhh Naomi.

I loved it; it was so distinctly OTACON.

I would like to meet Christopher Randolph so I could shake his hand. A true video gaming man god.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Y2Kev said:
OTACON is a
whiny little bitch. Dude has pissed himself a number of times. People say that Raiden was supposed to be MGS2's everyman, but the everyman was and always has been OTACON.

Did no one else think that Naomi collapsing with the Mk 2 in her arms was some kind of nerd erotica? Ohhhh Naomi carress my electriboner ohhhh Naomi.

I loved it; it was so distinctly OTACON.

Haha, yeah...
I felt sorry for Otacon though :(

Kagari said:
DAMNIT.

Act 5 :/

Going through Outer Haven on harder difficulty is HARD. What's the best way to do this?

Left!

LEFT!!

Crawl as soon as Outer Haven starts.
Tranquilize 2 FROGS. Crawl ahead
Tranquilize 2 more FROGS further ahead. Crawl ahead
Tranquilize 2 more FROGS!! CRAWL AHEAD!!
You'll see a Gekko. Don't mess with it and keep left at all times.
Squeeze through a round barrier ahead of you.
Crawl!!

When you reach the door, a Gekko will jump in front of it. Don't worry, it's not facing the door or you and you have to make sure it stays this way. Once you reach the door, break your thumb by tapping triangle and you're all set :p

Your camo should be 90% to 95% if you use it well

J2 Cool said:

Well, you know, you can't say they weren't true to his character. That's exactly how he reacted to Sniper Wolf in MGS1. Same 'ol pathetic Hal.

SaitoH

shagg_187 said:
Left!

LEFT!!

Crawl as soon as Outer Haven starts.
Tranquilize 2 FROGS. Crawl ahead
Tranquilize 2 more FROGS further ahead. Crawl ahead
Tranquilize 2 more FROGS!! CRAWL AHEAD!!
You'll see a Gekko. Don't mess with it and keep left at all times.
Squeeze through a round barrier ahead of you.
Crawl!!

When you reach the door, a Gekko will jump in front of it. Don't worry, it's not facing the door or you and you have to make sure it stays this way. Once you reach the door, break your thumb by tapping triangle and you're all set :p

Your camo should be 90% to 95% if you use it well

Exactly what I did!

Fuck, I can't find Twin Snakes anywhere! Just saw the 26 minute trailer on youtube and goddamnit I got such an itch to replay it..

AHHHHHHHH T_T NOOO. I don't wanna play 500 bucks on ebay either..

Mromson

Has anyone gotten the Litty Gray Acquire 69 unique weapons types (not counting the 1911). Emblem yet? I'm missing two guns :S (got all other emblems apart from Hound, Fox, FoxHound and Big Boss and 63 weapons atm..)

If anyone has any questions about certain moves in the game, they should really look at the briefing option in the START menu.

When I started the game, that's the first thing I did.

How cool was
"I am lightning. The rain transformed" in that static-y voice of Raidens? Hell, how did he even generate lightning in the first place?

J2 Cool

revolverjgw said:
Well, you know, you can't say they weren't true to his character. That's exactly how he reacted to Sniper Wolf in MGS1. Same 'ol pathetic Hal.

True. But the good thing about Sniper Wolf was that they left it off screen, and implied Otacon had been around awhile at Shadow Moses, and connected with her if only her at that site. Emma obviously was his sister, and a tragedy. This was just a culmination of a pathetic nature. Unfortunately you thought he grew through the series, as both MGS1 and 2 were deciated to his character development, but I guess not. They couldn't think of anything else for him to do for the story, but cry and be manipulated.

I am fighting the
Raging Raven
right now and I love how all the missiles she sends at you damage the immediate environment. I.e.,
the building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom