• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Does anyone know what type of sunglasses Liquid Ocelot wears?

There's a ton of heavy product placement in this game, figured his sunglasses had a brand to them too.

Johnas

This thread is massive and I haven't even tried to keep up with it, but I've read the past few pages and didn't see this specific question covered.

Regarding Liquid Ocelot:

Are we to assume that 1) in MGS2, it was truly Liquid controlling Ocelot because of the powers he inherited from The Sorrow, or 2) should we now view that as part of the farce that constituted his whole act in MGS4? I'm thinking #1 since he has a different transplanted arm in MGS4, and the whole psychic thing is alive and well with Screaming Mantis and Psycho Mantis
. But I'm not 100% sure.

Also, cool easter egg I noticed on my first replay-
when Snake first encounters the B&B corps, if you look far to the left when he looks up at Screaming Mantis, you'll see Psycho on the very edge of the screen controlling her
. I had to smile when I saw that.

Dax01 said:
I am fighting the
Raging Raven
right now and I love how all the missiles she sends at you damage the immediate environment. I.e.,
the building

I was really impressed with the sounds of the explosions and damage in that area, and I don't even have a sound system. I can only imagine how awesome that would be.

effingvic said:
How cool was
"I am lightning. The rain transformed" in that static-y voice of Raidens? Hell, how did he even generate lightning in the first place?

Idk,
His suit was malfunctioning, and electricity was going through him and his sword so something to do with that I guess.

GCQuinton

Struct09 said:
What broke the scene for me is
that I just didn't "feel" their relationship. It seemed short lived, so it was hard to get emotionally attached to it.

Completely agree.
I'll admit, when he did the same thing for Sniper Wolf in MGS1 I cared for it a lot more since they established his "crush" on her at Shadow Moses. This time around for Naomi I couldn't buy it at all and it just came off as corny.

Vinny Caravella did a pretty funny impression of that part on the last Giant Bombcast :lol

dralla said:
Why? The novelty of the stealth camo wears off pretty quickly? OctoCamo > Stealth Camo
If you could have a suit the combined both the heat diffusion of octocamo and the light bending of stealth camo, you'd pretty much have the perfect camo suit.

SRG01

So, who here feels that the Old Snake theme has surpassed the old MGS theme? For some reason, this new one is more fitting to the whole series.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
SRG01 said:
So, who here feels that the Old Snake theme has surpassed the old MGS theme? For some reason, this new one is more fitting to the whole series.

Raises hand.

Mromson

SRG01 said:
Certainly not me =p

MGS2 Theme is still king. It better be back in MGS5.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SRG01 said:
100% agree.

j-wood

Mromson said:
Certainly not me =p

MGS2 Theme is still king. It better be back in MGS5.

While the MGS2 theme was amazing, the song "metal gear saga" off the soundtrack is the official MGS theme, and at 2:44 in the song, is absolutely fantastic

No_Style

Who here misses and wishes there was a "classic Metal Gear Solid" title screen option? You know what I'm talking about. Just for old time's sake. :D

SRG01 said:

I've been thinking this way since witnessing the title screen. Loved it on the OST before release, but the title screen sealed the deal.

I still love the "other" MGS theme... but after experiencing this game, I'm not sure it'd fit anymore.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SRG01 said:

I agree. But my all time favorite MGS song is still The Best is Yet to Come.

Mromson

No_Style said:
Unlikely due to controversy?
I know about it. But I'd still want Konami to officially respond to that. I mean come on, music can't be even a bit similar anymore? Buy the rights to it for all I care. I want the MGS Theme back.

It fills me with so much anger over the theme not being in MGS4...

Havoc

Banned
U K Narayan said:
LittleAlien.jpg
Any more info on this? What term do I wiki?

kozmo7

Mromson said:
I know about it. But I'd still want Konami to officially respond to that. I mean come on, music can't be even a bit similar anymore? Buy the rights to it for all I care. I want the MGS Theme back.

Rage! Let me see your rage!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Mromson said:

metal gear saga?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
does a red ! mark signal an alert if there is no "UH!" sound?

also, what the hell is with the game auto-equipping my Operator as my main weapon after cutscenes? I'm trying to do a stealth/no-kill run and it's screwed me up twice replacing my MK-22.

oatmeal

Banned
So I hated ACT 3 (other than the cinematic to end it...which was glorious)...

And then I started up 4 just to save and quit...and...that was one of the coolest moments in VG history.

Wow.

oatmeal said:
So I hated ACT 3 (other than the cinematic to end it...which was glorious)...

And then I started up 4 just to save and quit...and...that was one of the coolest moments in VG history.

Wow.
Act 3 was awesome once you got on the
motor bike with Big Mama

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Mromson said:
go back and listen to the MGS2 Theme, or even better; watch the MGS2 opening sceene
ive heard that version a million times from when it was on my mp3 player, what am i missing?

its very good but personally i much prefer this version

Honestly, in addition to ''Old Snake'', I like ''Metal Gear Saga'' better than the original MGS theme. Especially the original MGS3 rendition that played during one of the trailers and near the end when you're fighting the Shagohod. It sounded so incredibly intense and the recording was propulsive as hell. I watched the 2004 trailer over and over to listen to it.

(and the original MGS theme also shows up at the end of that tune)

The version of the MGS3 theme that plays in this game sounds weaker and the beat is way too wimpy and busy, although the quiet part is great.

hirokazu

alr1ghtstart said:
does a red ! mark signal an alert if there is no "UH!" sound?

also, what the hell is with the game auto-equipping my Operator as my main weapon after cutscenes? I'm trying to do a stealth/no-kill run and it's screwed me up twice replacing my MK-22.
Yeah, this is pissing me off. Whenever Snake changes to a different weapon for cutscenes, the game replaces one of your weapons slots with that weapon after the cutscene. I ended up leaving the Operator in one of the slots, so my weapons slots would be Stun Knife, Operator, Mk-22, Shotgun+V.Ring, Mosin Sigint. After I did that, it started replacing my shotgun + V.Ring with assault rifles instead! At least it wasn't swapping out the Mk-22 for the Operator anymore though...

And it's especially annoying because whenever you save, it only saves your progress up till the last checkpoint, so if I accidentally get an alert and load, I have to switch the non-lethal weapons back in again! Whose dumb idea was that?

SRG01

hirokazu said:
Yeah, this is pissing me off. Whenever Snake changes to a different weapon for cutscenes, the game replaces one of your weapons slots with that weapon after the cutscene. I ended up leaving the Operator in one of the slots, so my weapons slots would be Stun Knife, Operator, Mk-22, Shotgun+V.Ring, Mosin Sigint. After I did that, it started replacing my shotgun + V.Ring with assault rifles instead! At least it wasn't swapping out the Mk-22 for the Operator anymore though...

And it's especially annoying because whenever you save, it only saves your progress up till the last checkpoint, so if I accidentally get an alert and load, I have to switch the non-lethal weapons back in again! Whose dumb idea was that?

The cutscenes should be scripted, so I'm thinking that they could easily be patched so that Snake is using whatever weapon he was last using.

Kolgar

I just put in 8 hours to finish the game today.

I know this sounds blasphemous, but I'm ultimately disappointed with the game.

Let's start with the positives. Of course, the production values are sky high--very impressive. The music is great. There's a ton of content and a lot of hidden goodies to keep gamers busy. I really enjoyed the gunplay, and the bosses were fairly interesting. Some of the cutscenes really added to the drama and intensity.

The game is obviously a labor of love for its creator and I appreciate that.

But goddamn. Take a step back and it's really quite ridiculous.

The hamfisted dialog. The preposterous story. The overblown cutscenes. What's with the posing and sex noises during the white-world boss encounters? :lol
This game slash movie is the very definition of excess.

Note: I've used spoiler tags below and I MEAN THEM.

For me,
Act 2
was the high point of the game. It was filled with awesome and at that point I was sure this title would wind up taking its place beside my all-time favorite games, RE4 and GTA4, by the time it was finished.

But then
Act 3 happened and I swear to God, that level is put to shame by several levels from the PS2 MGSs. After
Act 2
, the game just never attained those lofty heights again.

Whereas I grinned through
the first two acts
, I found myself
grimacing
more often than not throughout the rest of the game. Especially
toward the end with Meryl and Johnny's "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" impersonation and the ludicrous marriage proposal. Which was quickly followed by Raiden's happy ending, where he's all put back together and introduced to his son.

For all the blathering dialog, I still have little to no idea what the hell was going on in this series.
The convoluted plot took so many outrageous twists and turns that I want to believe it was all satire that flew straight over my head, but unfortunately, that's not the case.

Did I expect too much? Next to the next Final Fantasy, MGS4 was positioned as PS3's second biggest gun. The expectations were huge, and for me, the final product just didn't make the grade.

MGS3 remains my favorite in the series (I've played them all). It suffered from many of the same MGS eccentricities, but all in all, I think it was a better game punctuated with fantastic boss battles and an ending sequence that blew me away hard.

In the end, I think my biggest grievance here is with the story.
For a game that relies so heavily on story, what with its myriad characters and looong cutscenes, the writing and pacing just really let things down. Instead of caring about the characters, I occasionally laughed at them. (There's only so many times you can watch someone fall down hacking up a lung, get shishkabobbed by a sword, get microwaved, fall down near death again, or get the tar knocked out of them like Snake was during the final fistfight before you start to lose sympathy and just say, "Jeez, KEEL OVER already." But then a character comes back with no arms to swordfight with his mouth and I'm reminded of Monty Python and "It's just a flesh wound!"
and it's time to shake the head again.

OK, enough from me. I don't want to spoil the party. If you're playing the game and you like it, I'm happy for you and more power to you. As for me, I'm a bit let down but I can't deny the fun the series has afforded me over the years. Snake, it was good to know you.

Mromson

Kolgar said:
I just put in 8 hours to finish the game today.

I know this sounds blasphemous, but I'm ultimately disappointed with the game.

Let's start with the positives. Of course, the production values are sky high--very impressive. The music is great. There's a ton of content and a lot of hidden goodies to keep gamers busy. I really enjoyed the gunplay, and the bosses were fairly interesting. Some of the cutscenes really added to the drama and intensity.

The game is obviously a labor of love for its creator and I appreciate that.

But goddamn. Take a step back and it's really quite ridiculous.

The hamfisted dialog. The preposterous story. The overblown cutscenes. What's with the posing and sex noises during the white-world boss encounters? :lol
This game slash movie is the very definition of excess.

Note: I've used spoiler tags below and I MEAN THEM.

For me,
Act 2
was the high point of the game. It was filled with awesome and at that point I was sure this title would wind up taking its place beside my all-time favorite games, RE4 and GTA4, by the time it was finished.

But then
Act 3 happened and I swear to God, that level is put to shame by several levels from the PS2 MGSs. After
Act 2
, the game just never attained those lofty heights again.

Whereas I grinned through
the first two acts
, I found myself
grimacing
more often than not throughout the rest of the game. Especially
toward the end with Meryl and Johnny's "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" impersonation and the ludicrous marriage proposal. Which was quickly followed by Raiden's happy ending, where he's all put back together and introduced to his son.

For all the blathering dialog, I still have little to no idea what the hell was going on in this series.
The convoluted plot took so many outrageous twists and turns that I want to believe it was all satire that flew straight over my head, but unfortunately, that's not the case.

Did I expect too much? Next to the next Final Fantasy, MGS4 was positioned as PS3's second biggest gun. The expectations were huge, and for me, the final product just didn't make the grade.

MGS3 remains my favorite in the series (I've played them all). It suffered from many of the same MGS eccentricities, but all in all, I think it was a better game punctuated with fantastic boss battles and an ending sequence that blew me away hard.

In the end, I think my biggest grievance here is with the story.
For a game that relies so heavily on story, what with its myriad characters and looong cutscenes, the writing and pacing just really let things down. Instead of caring about the characters, I occasionally laughed at them. (There's only so many times you can watch someone fall down hacking up a lung, get shishkabobbed by a sword, get microwaved, fall down near death again, or get the tar knocked out of them like Snake was during the final fistfight before you start to lose sympathy and just say, "Jeez, KEEL OVER already." But then a character comes back with no arms to swordfight with his mouth and I'm reminded of Monty Python and "It's just a flesh wound!"
and it's time to shake the head again.

OK, enough from me. I don't want to spoil the party. If you're playing the game and you like it, I'm happy for you and more power to you. As for me, I'm a bit let down but I can't deny the fun the series has afforded me over the years. Snake, it was good to know you.
Felt pretty much the same way, too. =/
Liked the return to Shadow Moses, though.
There's loads of negative things I can say about MGS4, far more than I'd like. Worst is, the disappointments came from areas that I thought were no brainers...
And yeah, Act 3 was pretty terrible. Got a bit better at Big Boss Hard/The Boss Extreme, but still.

The most negative thing about Act 3 is that you have so little control over what will happen. You're forced to stick to the bloody turtle and can't decide your own phase. The bike sceene was too long - and from a gameplay perspective, fairly annoying - even if pretty visually.

pcostabel

Gold Member
SRG01 said:
The cutscenes should be scripted, so I'm thinking that they could easily be patched so that Snake is using whatever weapon he was last using.

But then they would need different animations for different type of weapons...

SSM25

So, how am I suppose to enjoy videogames after this masterpiece?, damn you Kojimaaa!!!!

The game's a layer over layer of awesome!!!

patsu

Woah ! I don't care about the MGS story (Never played MGS 2 and 3), I actually liked Act 3 better than Act 1 and 2 because of the variety and freshness it brought.
I liked Act 1 boss better though. There are also parts from Act 4 and 5 that I really liked too.
. Personally, the goodness are distributed throughout the game. So I have no choice but to replay the entire game instead of selected Acts.

SSM25

Johnas said:
I was really impressed with the sounds of the explosions and damage in that area, and I don't even have a sound system. I can only imagine how awesome that would be.

I have a 5.1 Bose setup, believe me the sound in this game has the most incredible use of surround sound I have ever experienced in a videogame.

kozmo7

patsu said:
Woah ! I don't care about the MGS story (Never played MGS 2 and 3), I actually liked Act 3 better than Act 1 and 2 because of the variety and freshness it brought.
I liked Act 1 boss better though. There are also parts from Act 4 and 5 that I really liked too.
. Personally, the goodness are distributed throughout the game. So I have no choice but to replay the entire game instead of selected Acts.

How confusing did you find the story as a whole? I don't mean to insult or mock, I am just curious as they throw a lot at you that involves so much from the other games.

Hell, I've played them all numerous times but I was still left reeling on some aspects of the story in 4. :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dax01 said:
Act 3 was awesome once you got on the
motor bike with Big Mama
Whole act 3 was awesome IMO.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Anyone in Japan know if these are hard to come by?

purasu2341-img200x164-1213262704ugsiwq24832.jpg

Hori charger for PS3 controllers. I need me one of these...

t_hashi2003-img600x450-12140557320gwcml1319.jpg

t_hashi2003-img600x450-1214055754kgenh91453.jpg

hirokazu

Kolgar said:
What's with the posing and sex noises during the white-world boss encounters? :lol
This is an easter egg, how is it a bad thing?

The beginning of Act 3 was an interesting twist to the stealth thing, but I won't be defending it, it was too long and the AI was too fucking retarded in that area. Or rather, the AI was pretty much the same stock AI used in the rest of the game and didn't really integrate with that sort of gameplay well.
I'm referring to the Resistance member, the PMCs are fine, but WTF, shooting at you in plain view of PMC patrols, and then blatantly running into a square crawling with PMC soldiers AND and a helicopter searchlight overhead?

The rest of your complaints are pretty subjective and I can understand, but they didn't bother me much. This is Metal Gear, after all :p

pcostabel said:
But then they would need different animations for different type of weapons...
Or they could just do the logical thing and have Snake use whatever weapon he wants in the cutscenes as the game currently does, but not replace one of the player's weapon slots with them. I can understand, for example during the initial playthrough, introducing new weapons after cutscenes by adding it to the player's weapons slots for them, but for subsequent playthroughs when you have developed preferences for certain weapons to match your play style and such, it is a blatantly bad idea.

Just beaten. I'll save most of the comments for later, but I'll just say that I'm disappointed that
Snake didn't actually die
. Still, amazing game and all. Now time for bed, and then work :(

patsu

kozmo7 said:
How confusing did you find the story as a whole? I don't mean to insult or mock, I am just curious as they throw a lot at you that involves so much from the other games.

Hell, I've played them all numerous times but I was still left reeling on some aspects of the story in 4. :lol

I didn't stop to think about the story. Just took things as they were. So I am not confused at the moment. :lol

There are many things in real life that are not perfect, or don't make sense (Try to work in a big company or sell stuff to them), so why must a game story ?

Take Naomi for example, she's flip-flopped many times. Is she crazy, evil, conflicted or may be it's that time of the month ? The truth for me is I had girl friends who behaved much like her. Until today, 16 years later, we found each other again, but I still don't have a good answer for what happened.

The important question is what you need to do now. For me, it was to enjoy myself and finish the game. I certainly did.

patsu

dabookerman said:
I think judging by all the previous games, the story, will make sense.. In the end

The larger picture may make sense, but individuals' actions are still subjected to interpretation. I am sure you can find someone who has a different take on the characters' actions and motivation even though you may both agree on the ending.

patsu said:
The larger picture may make sense, but individuals' actions are still subjected to interpretation. I am sure you can find someone who has a different take on the characters' actions and motivation even though you may both agree on the ending.

That's always the tough part about a story. Pirates of the Caribbean got really confusing in this sense as a lot of people got lost on what the characters wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom