• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying a no alert no kill run. Does anyone have any tips on what to do about those armored soldiers during that first part where you are on top of the APC?

Also, during the fight with
laughing octopus
if you happen to blow up a floating mine next to a sleeping/knocked out soldier and she dies is that a kill against you?

Solideliquid said:
I'm trying a no alert no kill run. Does anyone have any tips on what to do about those armored soldiers during that first part where you are on top of the APC?

Also, during the fight with
laughing octopus
if you happen to blow up a floating mine next to a sleeping/knocked out soldier and she dies is that a kill against you?

Armoured Suits - don't shoot them, if you wait for a bit, the APC will drive off. Just try to survive.

Also, if you kill a knocked out soldier, it counts as a kill. so be careful where you shoot grenades!

Well I think I ruined the no kill part for myself as I'm sure a few soldiers died when those floating mines
octopus sends at you after she disappears
blew up next to them as they slept.

Q: at the end of act 2
when all the geckos are looking for you
, if they spot you is that an alert?

Though I'm not very far into the game (I don't think), I'm really loving it. My only real problem is that 80% of the time, the triangle button doesn't seem to do a thing when the game tells me it's time to hit the freaking button for a "special action". This has led to me getting completely stuck in a way that has me so frustrated I want to throw the controller at the wall almost:

I'm in the Advent Palace Garage basement, and it's obvious I need to climb up the cable in the elevator shaft in order to reach the surface. However, no matter how many ways I position Snake relative to the cable or how many times I hit the triangle button, I absolutely cannot get him to start climbing the damn thing! It could me "my fault" because maybe I'm not understanding what the "special action" prompts onscreen are telling me to do, but those prompts really are kind of shamefully unclear.

Any tips, needless to say, would be very much appreciated...

Solideliquid said:
Well I think I ruined the no kill part for myself as I'm sure a few soldiers died when those floating mines
octopus sends at you after she disappears
blew up next to them as they slept.

Hmmm, actually i'm not sure. Just check out what you got at the end of that act, and start over if you can?

andrewjnyc said:
Though I'm not very far into the game (I don't think), I'm really loving it. My only real problem is that 80% of the time, the triangle button doesn't seem to do a thing when the game tells me it's time to hit the freaking button for a "special action". This has led to me getting completely stuck in a way that has me so frustrated I want to throw the controller at the wall almost:

I'm in the Advent Palace Garage basement, and it's obvious I need to climb up the cable in the elevator shaft in order to reach the surface. However, no matter how many ways I position Snake relative to the cable or how many times I hit the triangle button, I absolutely cannot get him to start climbing the damn thing! It could me "my fault" because maybe I'm not understanding what the "special action" prompts onscreen are telling me to do, but those prompts really are kind of shamefully unclear.

Climbing a cable? You do no such thing o_o
Look for a ladder.

patsu

andrewjnyc said:

I think you only need to walk up the slope to go outside. Don't go back to the elevator.

andrewjnyc said:

I think you're justs supposed to leave via the collapsed wall. Look around the room, unless I'm thinking of the wrong area.

1stStrike

Banned
andrewjnyc said:

rofl holy shit..you're way off buddy.

patsu said:
I think you only need to walk up the slope to go outside. Don't go back to the elevator.

Oh duh, ofcourse act 1 area. Got mixed up. Yeah, it's all climable and jumpable.

Also, if Gekkos spot you in act 2, it's not an alert. An alert only counts if it appears on screen.

BTW I'm sure this has already been mentioned but how awesome in act 3 is
the fact that putting the Otacon face camo makes you practically invisible to soldiers. I wish I knew that earlier :lol

Speevy

Banned
Yeah, I think that might be a common mistake someone would make if they're not sure what the triangle button is for.

In some games, it would have you climbing something, swinging on a rope, pressing a switch, etc. where in MGS4 it just changes how you're positioned for cover (mostly).

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I'm never going to be able to play MGO. I'm installing the update and the highest download speed I've had is 1.4 kbs. Now its gone back down to zero :(

Speevy said:
Yeah, I think that might be a common mistake someone would make if they're not sure what the triangle button is for.

In some games, it would have you climbing something, swinging on a rope, pressing a switch, etc. where in MGS4 it just changes how you're positioned for cover.

Not really, triangle is the action button.
So you can climb ladders, mount turrets swing off rail etc using that one button. It's the one thing that hasn't changed.

hirokazu

dabookerman said:
BTW I'm sure this has already been mentioned but how awesome in act 3 is
the fact that putting the Otacon face camo makes you practically invisible to soldiers. I wish I knew that earlier :lol
Wow, didn't know that. Any explanation why?

I put on the
suit with Drebin face
last night and he looked pretty badass.

Speevy

Banned
dabookerman said:
Not really, triangle is the action button.
So you can climb ladders, mount turrets swing off rail etc using that one button. It's the one thing that hasn't changed.

Yeah, but you don't do a whole lot of that stuff in MGS4. I've beaten the game so I should know.

In most cases, walking up to a wall does show Snake in some diagrammed position, which would lead a new player to believe they're going to perform some progressive action.

psycho_snake

Mromson said:
Felt pretty much the same way, too. =/
Liked the return to Shadow Moses, though.
I'm split on that. One one hand I thought
It was brilliant fanservice and it was relatively fun. On the other hand I just dont think its as good as the gameplay from the first two acts.

psycho_snake

akachan ningen said:
did you try both p2p and direct download?
I've not tried the direct download yet, so I'll do it now.

edit: sorry guys, that was a dissapointing 20,000th post

Why is the main gaming forum page one post behind?

This would be post # 20,002.. but the main page would show this as 20,001

Also http went super quick for me ;p

hirokazu

andrewjnyc said:

Personally, I think the action button is pretty self-explanatory. I think you just got a little disorientated by the previous cutscene.
The room with the elevator shaft is where you came from. I went in there looking for items, there wasn't any, checked the shaft as well. Then I thought "Oh right, I just jumped down that before the cutscene!"
Once you realize that, it's pretty obvious where to go.

dabookerman said:
Why is the main gaming forum page one post behind?

This would be post # 20,002.. but the main page would show this as 20,001

Also http went super quick for me ;p

Because there are 20,001 replies. If you count the original post, then it would be 20,002.

I just finished it last night. I was really nervous to finish it with my GF around because I didn't know if it would get to me or not. MGS3 almost got me. :lol I was getting that feeling in my chest at the end of MGS3 and it would have been pretty embarrassing if I couldn't hold it at the end of MGS4, especially with her sitting right next to me.
but it wasn't really too sad of an ending at all. Nothing compared to MGS3. That last fight against Liquid was epic! God damn! :lol And I can't remember how the hell they ended on top of a freaking submarine!

Anyway, I was a trooper, and my record still stands. I haven't cried while watching/playing anything since Transformers the Movie back in the late '80s.

Good shit!

novery

anaron said:
Now my only big complaints about MGS4 was
Mei Ling losing her accent...

I liked her accent too, back in the day, but
Mei Ling was never supposed to have an accent. A mistake that goes way back to MGS1... She's American born.

Doc Evils

Is anyone else spending to much money on MGS4 stuff? ;_;

In front of me I have the option to buy the Japanese LE and the charge stand and the total would reach £100.

Some thing tells me no , while my other says buy it. ;_;

Bizzyb

Banned
No_Style said:
Unlikely due to controversy?

Are you kidding me?? you mean they are going to forever retire the MGS theme b/c it happens to sound like some old 1970s classical piece??
Is that why the theme wasn't in MGS4 or SSBB? That's pretty lame of Kojima and Konami.

Doc Evils

novery said:
I liked her accent too, back in the day, but
Mei Ling was never supposed to have an accent. A mistake that goes way back to MGS1... She's American born.

Ryan if I buy the Japanese LE console, would it work ok with PAL games online?

EDIT: Just found out that Japanese consoles have some kind of built in censoring and the server connection can be based on console or game version.:/

hirokazu

Dark Octave said:
I just finished it last night. I was really nervous to finish it with my GF around because I didn't know if it would get to me or not. MGS3 almost got me. :lol I was getting that feeling in my chest at the end of MGS3 and it would have been pretty embarrassing if I couldn't hold it at the end of MGS4, especially with her sitting right next to me.
but it wasn't really too sad of an ending at all. Nothing compared to MGS3. That last fight against Liquid was epic! God damn! :lol And I can't remember how the hell they ended on top of a freaking submarine!

Anyway, I was a trooper, and my record still stands. I haven't cried while watching/playing anything since Transformers the Movie back in the late '80s.

Good shit!
Strangely and contrary to seemingly everyone else here, MGS3 didn't do shit for me. The ending was awesome yet sad, but it wasn't moving at all. :p MGS4's ending almost got me
at Meryl's wedding when Sunny is asking Otacon where Snake went and whether he'll be coming back.
, but that's about it.

hirokazu

Doc Evils said:
Ryan if I buy the Japanese LE console, would it work ok with PAL games online?
In most instances, yes, but it may vary from game to game. I'm not quite sure why you're asking him though, because it's more a Sony issue, it's not like the LE PS3 is any different in that regard.

If you want to know about Metal Gear Online, it seems to be separated into Japan, North America, and PAL, and region detection is based on which copy of MGS4 you have.

1stStrike

Banned
I teared up at the ending of MGS3 and MGS4 so I guess I lose. But, I'm also a lot more into the games than most people. I really got into the story and the characters over the years, and in MGS3 seeing big boss from a different perspective and how tragic his fate was (especially the ending) was pretty emotional for me.

It's not often something is moving enough to get some tears out of me, but kojima has managed it twice over the years.

1stStrike said:
I teared up at the ending of MGS3 and MGS4 so I guess I lose. But, I'm also a lot more into the games than most people. I really got into the story and the characters over the years, and in MGS3 seeing big boss from a different perspective and how tragic his fate was (especially the ending) was pretty emotional for me.

It's not often something is moving enough to get some tears out of me, but kojima has managed it twice over the years.

You really aren't the only one man.
By far my most devoted series ever, I am a complete fanboy in respects to MGS.

Doc Evils

hirokazu said:
In most instances, yes, but it may vary from game to game. I'm not quite sure why you're asking him though, because it's more a Sony issue, it's not like the LE PS3 is any different in that regard.

If you want to know about Metal Gear Online, it seems to be separated into Japan, North America, and PAL, and region detection is based on which copy of MGS4 you have.

Sucks they didn't do a Euro version. ;_;

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I really, really need help.

How do you beat Liquid Ocelot in the brawl atop the military ship at the end of the game? I've tried countless techniques but none seem to work effectively

Doc Evils

dirtmonkey37 said:

How do you beat Liquid Ocelot in the brawl atop the military ship at the end of the game? I've tried countless techniques but none seem to work effectively

keep tapping R1 and use X to dodge.

1stStrike

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:

What difficulty are you on? Anything below big boss shouldn't be that hard. Also, in case you didn't know, hit select during the fight to see the controls.

The best way I found and the easiest way to conserve your hp is to lure him in for a rush attack in the first part, then dodge and hold R1 to initiate a cqc maneuver. It's guaranteed damage with no way of him retaliating unless you screw up.

In the second part, again, lure him in for an attack and when he throws that big ass punch, dodge and either cqc him again or if you're close enough, combo his ass.

In the 3rd part, you really have to lure him in and try to avoid him as much as possible while getting a hit in when you can. Dodge or duck his attacks. You can also jump back and then do a rush forward when he tries to grab you and stomach punch him (forward + x)

Otherwise, you just need to learn his patterns. One thing in the last fight is, he likes to throw a one two on you and then grab and head butt you. That head butt takes a lot of hp. So, block or dodge his punches and then immediately punch him or dodge and then cqc him.

Yagharek

dirtmonkey37 said:

Pretend you're johnny cage in the mortal kombat movie. In and out, in and out.

Darkpen

Banned
Doing my Big Boss run, holy crap is it hard :(

I hope I'm not wasting any more time than necessary. Also, where the hell are those chaff grenades? I remember seeing them somewhere in the strat guide, but I'm gonna need them really soon (I'm almost to the rails scene in Act 2).

Darkpen

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:

hold triangle to recover health when he taunts. It recovers his health too, but it helps a lot if you know what you're doing

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
Well when your only companions are Old Snake and a little girl who makes nasty eggs you'll take what you can get and hold on to it.
GCQuinton said:
Completely agree.
I'll admit, when he did the same thing for Sniper Wolf in MGS1 I cared for it a lot more since they established his "crush" on her at Shadow Moses. This time around for Naomi I couldn't buy it at all and it just came off as corny.

Vinny Caravella did a pretty funny impression of that part on the last Giant Bombcast :lol
The thing with sniper wolf was nothing more than a crush/stockholm syndrome. Naomi, on the other hand, probably took his virginity. I'd say he has every reason to feel attached to Naomi.

Doc Evils

Darkpen said:

I hope I'm not wasting any more time than necessary. Also, where the hell are those chaff grenades? I remember seeing them somewhere in the strat guide, but I'm gonna need them really soon (I'm almost to the rails scene in Act 2).

view the video I posted.

1stStrike

Banned
Darkpen said:

I got mine from act 4. I had 4 chaff grenades by the time I went through my big boss emblem run.

It's not so easy is it? I said that extreme was no joke a few times :p

The chaff grenades are nice but don't need them. It just cuts down on your game time by about 5 - 10 minutes.

Also, you get unlimited grenades, tranq darts, vrings, etc. during the on-rails scene in act 2 so you should have no issues with that.

[HP]

Just finished it last night, god damn, seriously I always thought this would be a great game, even maybe better than any MGS released until date, but I never thought it would be this good!

It is wonderful in every single possible aspect of a good video game, it has everything a 10/10 video game should have, addicting and fluent gameplay, gameplay freeroam (as you can opt whether or not you should go rambo style, or you can slip pass unnoticed through most of the game), it is a wonderful cinematic experience, very well written plot, consistent learning curve, a splendid soundtrack etc, etc, I could stay here for hours straight mentioning everything I loved about this game, but the one I definitely enjoyed the most, was the nostalgic feeling while playing this game!
Those who played, and enjoyed the first MGS for PS1 will love this one, I don't want to spoil it, but all I can say is that you'll shred a nostalgic tear! ;)

This game puts to shame most of the AAA games out there, you can tell instantly that this game was made with love and passion by every single employee at Konami! My great respect to Kojima and his team, MGS4 will now rest in my heart as the best game ever made!

1stStrike

Banned
[HP] said:
MGS4 will now rest in my heart as the best game ever made!

But..but..what about final fantasy 7 D:

just kidding

There's a lot of games over the years that have had a positive influence on me and have a place in my heart to this day. However, MGS4 is definitely something special. I mean, this is a game that I can play over and over again and still enjoy. I won't tear up anymore or be as absorbed as I was when I first played it, however it's like a good movie..something you can watch over and over as the years go on and still enjoy it (that's how I am with the 5th element).

Obviously, not everyone shares this sentiment, but it's definitely how I feel. It's stories like this that (beware, personal info you probably won't care about!)
makes me want to go back and continue working on the novel I started writing. I used to be in a critique group and put a lot of work into it, but ended up stopping due to the massive load it put on me. I just couldn't do it what with me working 10 - 12 hours a day at my full time job and then trying to come home and work on that too. Maybe someday I can finish it and leave my mark on people like kojima has.

Doc Evils said:
I'm off to try and do the Big Boss Emblem, wish me luck. :p

Try doing it without using the video to cheat =\ cause then you're not really earning it. You're just copying someone else that worked for it. Takes away from the achievement imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom