• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

dabookerman said:
MGS4 has done this to me, and beware, ending spoilers
Made Big Boss my ultimate video game hero.

It also makes
Ocelot look like the biggest tradgedy in the series. More-so than even The Boss :(

Yagharek

Fair enough, I have not read those books. :)

I like the implications of all the twists and revelations in MGS4 (and 3 to a point). Really drives home the point Kojima is making about the futility of war.

RandomVince said:
Fair enough, I have not read those books. :)

I like the implications of all the twists and revelations in MGS4 (and 3 to a point). Really drives home the point Kojima is making about the futility of war.

I'm still annoyed that there wasn't a massive intergalactic space battle aboard a death star like metal gear.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just finished the game yesterday. Pretty awesome overall, although felt a bit short gameplay-wise. Great soundscape, beautiful graphics. Bit uneven in gameplay and cutscenes, ranging from brilliant to boring. Couple of questions/comments

1. How come
all the trailers were set in Middle East, although the events in the game were not - example, Snake shooting himself was clearly set in Middle East

2. I'm really pissed off
that Snake didn't die. WTF was that shit, they had no reason to resurrect him, it's not like they'd do another MGS with Solid. His 'suicide' scene was beautiful, the comeback was lame and unnecessary. American audience bias?

3. Nice work on the
Young Snake gag from the earlier trailer. Was really funny when you got the face camo and felt punked.

4. What was the "incredibly frustratingly hard encounter" in the game Shane referred to and claimed all the journos had trouble with? Seemed like they fixed it.

Chittagong said:
Just finished the game yesterday. Pretty awesome overall, although felt a bit short gameplay-wise. Great soundscape, beautiful graphics. Bit uneven in gameplay and cutscenes, ranging from brilliant to boring. Couple of questions/comments

1. How come
all the trailers were set in Middle East, although the events in the game were not - example, Snake shooting himself was clearly set in Middle East

2. I'm really pissed off
that Snake didn't die. WTF was that shit, they had no reason to resurrect him, it's not like they'd do another MGS with Solid. His 'suicide' scene was beautiful, the comeback was lame and unnecessary. American audience bias?

3. Nice work on the
Young Snake gag from the earlier trailer. Was really funny when you got the face camo and felt punked.

4. What was the "incredibly frustratingly hard encounter" in the game Shane referred to and claimed all the journos had trouble with? Seemed like they fixed it.

Kojima basically did an MGS2 with the trailers. Showing as little as possible. That was to set up the whole suicide storyline aswell, the scene in the middle east

Snake did have a motive to kill himself, but in the end he did not have to and the message was to live what life you have left, it's not like Snake is gonna come back, he will be dead in a few months.

Ferrio

Banned
2. I'm really pissed off

He's dead in a few months anyway. He actually gets to live life outside the battlefield for once

Yagharek

On question 4.

Might it possibly be
The Act 3 stalking or the shootout in Act 5 before the watertight door

Both of those caused me grief, though I did find a (highly satisfying) way to get past them.

1stStrike

Banned
Doc Evils said:
D: This is insane, I've redone the first part of the first level like 20 times.:lol

*points and laughs* I had issues with that too until I got used to how sensitive the AI was. Once you get used to it though you should be golden.

I can't help but laugh at you guys doing your big boss runs now. I'm looking forward to the rampant cussing that is soon to follow :D

Chittagong said:

1. How come

2. I'm really pissed off

3. Nice work on the

1. Kojima is a goddamn liar

4. End of Act 3, apparently

Guled

I was hearing the talk of this game having a lot of retcons, but I don't really see that much. The only on I can think of is
Madner, and that could just be a reference to Snatcher instead of the MG2 Madner

Ephemeris

dabookerman said:
MGS4 has done this to me, and beware, ending spoilers
Made Big Boss my ultimate video game hero.

Didn't you play MGS3 & Portable Ops ? o_O
Welcome to the club though.

Everyone here should play more Metal Gear Online !

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Chittagong said:
2. I'm really pissed off

My main fear going into MGS4 wasn't that
Snake would die, as I expected that from the trailers.
It was that, like with MGS3,
it would force the player to pull the trigger (when Snake kills himself).
And in that situation, I don't think I would be able to.

Yagharek

industrian said:
My main fear going into MGS4 wasn't that
Snake would die, as I expected that from the trailers.
It was that, like with MGS3,
it would force the player to pull the trigger (when Snake kills himself).
And in that situation, I don't think I would be able to.

That's exactly what I was thinking would happen.
Dont make me do it!

Darkpen

Banned
1stStrike said:
I got mine from act 4. I had 4 chaff grenades by the time I went through my big boss emblem run.

It's not so easy is it? I said that extreme was no joke a few times :p

The chaff grenades are nice but don't need them. It just cuts down on your game time by about 5 - 10 minutes.

Also, you get unlimited grenades, tranq darts, vrings, etc. during the on-rails scene in act 2 so you should have no issues with that.
:lol

actually, watching this guy's playthrough of TBE, its actually not that hard :lol Gosh, it makes me look back at what I did for some of the sequences and go "oh, that was stupid, this makes so much more sense"

I mean, the guy clocks in barely over 3 hours :lol holy crap

psycho_snake said:
When I first saw the trailer of
snake killing himself I thought it was a great idea, but as I got to the end I realised that I didnt want that to happen at all. It would have been too sad
Pretty much.
Hell, I was choking up when I thought he was dying after the virus had been uploaded.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Chittagong said:
2. I'm really pissed off
When I first saw the trailer of
snake killing himself, I thought it was a great idea but as I got to the end of the game I realised that I didnt want him to do it

I'm sort of glad he didnt decide to shoot himself, but at the same time I feel that if he did kill himself then the ending would have been much more powerful, especially if you were made to pull the trigger. If that had happened, the end of MGS4 would have probably been the most emotional ending to a videogame

psycho_snake

Darkpen said:
Pretty much.
Hell, I was choking up when I thought he was dying after the virus had been uploaded.
I thought the bit before that where
You see snake crawl through the microwave corridor
was even more emotional. The music, the prsentation, it was all done brilliantly.

psycho_snake

Darkpen said:
Act 5 mission briefing. She gave the virus to Sunny to complete, and then Sunny gave it to Hal. The entirety of Act 5 was done thanks to the data that Naomi left them.
I forgot to get back to you on this when you replied to me yesterday.

Why did naomi have to go back to Liquid? Couldnt she just stay with Snake and otacon since she was on their side?

industrian

Darkpen said:
Pretty much.

I (and I'm guessing a few people here did too) winced in pain when Snake
was getting repeatedly thumped in the head by Liquid before the final battle
. It's one of the most brutal moments in video games alongside
Volgin opening a crate of whup ass on Big Boss in MGS3.

The times I did choke up though were numerous. The fact that there were numerous moments in MGS4 when I laughed and cried cements it's place as my favourite game of all time.

1stStrike

Banned
Darkpen said:
:lol

actually, watching this guy's playthrough of TBE, its actually not that hard :lol Gosh, it makes me look back at what I did for some of the sequences and go "oh, that was stupid, this makes so much more sense"

I mean, the guy clocks in barely over 3 hours :lol holy crap

Like I said before, it's just a matter of making yourself into a robot. Knowing when to do what, where to go, where the guards are going to move, who you have to tranq, who you don't, when to shoot, when not to shoot.

It's definitely not easy, as you've experienced for yourself. This guy didn't go through TBE on his first try and get a 3 hour game and exclaim to himself, "Man, this shit was easy!"

If I played through extreme again, I could definitely do it a lot faster than I did. Am I though? Hell no :p But, I am going to do a big boss hard run after this play through just to have all 5 difficulties beaten :x

Darkpen

Banned
psycho_snake said:
I thought the bit before that where
You see snake crawl through the microwave corridor
was even more emotional. The music, the prsentation, it was all done brilliantly.
oh, totally, I was just breaking down at that point, as I mashed triangle at the same time, to keep him going :lol

psycho_snake said:
I forgot to get back to you on this when you replied to me yesterday.

Why did naomi have to go back to Liquid? Couldnt she just stay with Snake and otacon since she was on their side?
She went back for some reason regarding
the virus, I'm sure
. Who knows, but it probably has something to do with getting things in motion.

industrian said:
I (and I'm guessing a few people here did too) winced in pain when Snake
was getting repeatedly thumped in the head by Liquid before the final battle
. It's one of the most brutal moments in video games alongside
Volgin opening a crate of whup ass on Big Boss in MGS3.

The times I did choke up though were numerous. The fact that there were numerous moments in MGS4 when I laughed and cried cements it's place as my favourite game of all time.
oh gosh, totally. I found myself laughing, crying, shouting "oh my god" at the screen, and just... mind blown, lol D:

Darkpen

Banned
1stStrike said:
Like I said before, it's just a matter of making yourself into a robot. Knowing when to do what, where to go, where the guards are going to move, who you have to tranq, who you don't, when to shoot, when not to shoot.

It's definitely not easy, as you've experienced for yourself. This guy didn't go through TBE on his first try and get a 3 hour game and exclaim to himself, "Man, this shit was easy!"

If I played through extreme again, I could definitely do it a lot faster than I did. Am I though? Hell no :p But, I am going to do a big boss hard run after this play through just to have all 5 difficulties beaten :x
well, I think the robot thing has more to do with the encounters, but the stuff that really gets me are the parts where he takes a route that I never would've thought of, or uses the sun gun thing when I used something else.

Ploid 3.0

Man I really really miss random awesome and funny codec calls that the player starts. For example mgs3 (spoiler on mgs3 codec stuff).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jOnF0R1VRiY&feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xsueO2CQugY&feature=related

And people wanted less of this >< (although mgs4 got one good codec call when you speak with otocon at
Shadow Moses. The thing about otocon asking snake how he took out a tank.
I got a good laugh at Otocon's final words in that codec call. To hear it call him when you're either in
the nuclear warhead room in shadow moses, or the area where the two sleeping gekkos are (which is the place you took out the tank in MGS1).

1stStrike said:
can't help but laugh at you guys doing your big boss runs now. I'm looking forward to the rampant cussing that is soon to follow :D
Big Boss mode isn't even hard, though.

The Boss Extreme is something I'm worried about, though. That's going to be tough.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Man I really really miss random awesome and funny codec calls that the player starts. For example mgs3 (spoiler on mgs3 codec stuff).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jOnF0R1VRiY&feature=related

And people wanted less of this >< (although mgs4 got one good codec call when you speak with otocon at
Shadow Moses. The thing about otocon asking snake how he took out a tank.
I got a good laugh at Otocon's final words in that codec call. To hear it call him when you're either in
the nuclear warhead room in shadow moses, or the area where the two sleeping gekkos are (which is the place you took out the tank in MGS1).

:lol There's some great stuff in that video. I miss the funny codec calls. I appreciate there being less codec in the cut-scenes but I would have liked to be able to call more people. maybe they'll expand the codec if/when they release an expanded MGS4. I like the conversation you get if you call otacon while hiding in a dumpster.

psycho_snake

RandomVince said:
It also makes
Ocelot look like the biggest tradgedy in the series. More-so than even The Boss :(
can someone explain this? I still dont get the whole
Liquid/Ocelot
thing

atomico

started act 3 late last night, didnt' have much time to actually play, after the briefing and stuff
hitman meets splinter cell?
wtf? :lol
only seen the first 2 areas. I'll wait and see what kojima has up his sleeve before passing judgement

oh, and near the end of act 2
that part when you fight the zombie soldiers, on top of the APC... reminded me of the final boss area in dead rising
:D

1stStrike

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Big Boss mode isn't even hard, though.

The Boss Extreme is something I'm worried about, though. That's going to be tough.

You read wrong. I'm talking about their big boss emblem runs. I figured everyone would've deduced what I meant, but I guess not (even though there's two people recently in this thread who have been talking about their big boss runs).

So yes, I am talking about extreme.

psycho_snake said:
can someone explain this? I still dont get the whole
Liquid/Ocelot
thing

It's been explained a thousand times in this thread by various people. I just don't have it in me to go through it again.

Ploid 3.0

Ninja Kn1ght said:
:lol There's some great stuff in that video. I miss the funny codec calls. I appreciate there being less codec in the cut-scenes but I would have liked to be able to call more people. maybe they'll expand the codec if/when they release an expanded MGS4. I like the conversation you get if you call otacon while hiding in a dumpster.

Don't forget to check out part one and two lol. MGS3 was darn awesome with the codecs.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ5q3UWTpns&feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xsueO2CQugY&feature=related

atomico

Ninja Kn1ght said:

same here. I knew about there being less codec convos than previous games, but I was still disappointed, 5 minutes into the game when
I got the cardboard box, equipped it, called otacon, expecting to reminesce and... he just talked about the mission objective

that probably wasn't worth spoiler-tagging, but it's done now :lol

industrian

Darkpen said:
oh, totally, I was just breaking down at that point, as I mashed triangle at the same time, to keep him going :lol

I got in just in time. Literally nothing left. I wonder if Liquid would notice me using an auto-fire pad. :D

Darkpen said:
She went back for some reason regarding
the virus, I'm sure
. Who knows, but it probably has something to do with getting things in motion.

She had a role to play, and she played it. The only reason why she went with Snake in the first place was to get close enough to Otacon to give him the virus. Then I think she just felt a responsibility to kill Vamp.

Darkpen said:
oh gosh, totally. I found myself laughing, crying, shouting "oh my god" at the screen, and just... mind blown, lol D:

I've lost count at the number of things which moved me. Quite potentially the one scene that impacted me heavily was the end of Act 4.
I obviously thought that Raiden was dead, and during the MGS2 conversation about how Rose and Raiden met all I was thinking was "I'm never going to be able to play MGS2 again." And the surprising thing was that finding out he wasn't dead didn't piss me off at all, as Raiden was a well played character - one of the moments where I first got choked up was his "I have no family" outburst.

Darkpen

Banned
industrian said:
I got in just in time. Literally nothing left. I wonder if Liquid would notice me using an auto-fire pad. :D

She had a role to play, and she played it. The only reason why she went with Snake in the first place was to get close enough to Otacon to give him the virus. Then I think she just felt a responsibility to kill Vamp. Naomi.

I've lost count at the number of things which moved me. Quite potentially the one scene that impacted me heavily was the end of Act 4.
I obviously thought that Raiden was dead, and during the MGS2 conversation about how Rose and Raiden met all I was thinking was "I'm never going to be able to play MGS2 again." And the surprising thing was that finding out he wasn't dead didn't piss me off at all, as Raiden was a well played character - one of the moments where I first got choked up was his "I have no family" outburst.
I did a BBH playthrough recently, watching all of the cutscenes again, and trying to call the codec more often, and I still found the part where the screen starts to fade in and out, as Raiden gets crushed by the ship, and the recording plays, that I still cry. Its so moving. Even though I knew he was going to live, it made me cry again, lol D:

I have an urgent request for you skilled animated GIF makers. I'm gonna spoiler tag this but if you've played past Act 3 it is totally OK to view .

can someone please make a high quality animated gif of liquid ocelot doing the "bam-bam-bang-bang" dance on top of the boat in Act3? the part where he's rocking back and forth and shooting with his fingertips and the camera pans out. this is one of my favorite scenes and i'd love to have it as a gif!

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone please explain one thing I'm having trouble with with the MGS4 story...

I could be totally wrong or have missed some detail and be off base, but...

Big Boss and Zero had a big rift. Zero tried to implement a perfect, controlled society with The Patriots and Big Boss tried to disrupt that and create a nation free from control (Outer Heaven in Metal Gear 1)... ok. I get that. BUT... Big Boss was Solid Snake's commander in MG1, but wasn't snake a product of Zero's gene program? How would Big Boss have been in control of Fox Hound at that time if it was controlled by The Patriots?

Egg Shen

Absolutely incredible. As a longtime MGS fan, this was like the ultimate ending to a long game that I couldn't put down.

Chittagong said:
2. I'm really pissed off

Personally, I felt for him not to fall on his sword (so to speak) was the only duty that he couldn't bring himself do. Did it feel awkward to see the revelation come in afterwards? I agree with you...it felt awkward in a "But wait! There's one more loose end!" sense, but it served the message that the ending was trying to deliver to live life to its fullest no matter what it throws at you. Big Boss' death scene was pretty poignant for me as everything felt like it came to a close, but not as shocking as when we were led to believe that Snake had done himself in.

ddk said:
I have an urgent request for you skilled animated GIF makers. I'm gonna spoiler tag this but if you've played past Act 3 it is totally OK to view .

can someone please make a high quality animated gif of liquid ocelot doing the "bam-bam-bang-bang" dance on top of the boat in Act3? the part where he's rocking back and forth and shooting with his fingertips and the camera pans out. this is one of my favorite scenes and i'd love to have it as a gif!

Someone else made this one:

End of act 3 spoiler: http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x304/adam_knight/11h9en9.gif

The quality isn't that high but you might like it.

El_TigroX said:
Can someone please explain one thing I'm having trouble with with the MGS4 story...

I could be totally wrong or have missed some detail and be off base, but...

Big Boss and Zero had a big rift. Zero tried to implement a perfect, controlled society with The Patriots and Big Boss tried to disrupt that and create a nation free from control (Outer Heaven in Metal Gear 1)... ok. I get that. BUT... Big Boss was Solid Snake's commander in MG1, but wasn't snake a product of Zero's gene program? How would Big Boss have been in control of Fox Hound at that time if it was controlled by The Patriots?
We could assume that before the events of MG1 Zero did not yet know that Big Boss betrayed him and it was actually him leading Outer Haven.

industrian

El_TigroX said:

I figure it's because Zero didn't know about Big Boss' "betrayal". Big Boss sent Snake to Outer Heaven hoping that he'd fail and get killed which would allow him to directly oppose Zero with Metal Gear.

This was probably the incident which caused Zero to distrust passing on The Patriots to the next generation and instead developing the AIs.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Steiner_Zi said:
We could assume that before the events of MG1 Zero did not yet know that Big Boss betrayed him and it was actually him leading Outer Haven.

That's what I was saying to myself to make it all make sense. Feels a touch loose... but it works for me. I would say, I'm very satisfied with the MGS4 story and how it tied up so many loose plot threads. Other than that one thing, everything else made sense to me.

Thanks!

Also, thanks Industrian.

dabookerman said:
Any ideas where I can download cutscene vids? Like direct feed ones?
HD ones would be great :3

I want them so I can make a .gif of Snake's smirk when he finds the drum for the first time. Priceless expression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom